BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General PlayBook Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Revamped PlayBook Coming in February? Hm... (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=257182)

ifonline 01-23-2012 10:41 AM

Revamped PlayBook Coming in February? Hm...

From the article PlayBook Do Over: RIM Tablet 'Revamp' Confirmed Amidst RIM CEO Shakeup:

RIM is working hard on a BlackBerry PlayBook revamp for early 2012, which will include the BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 update in February and perhaps two new models. The news comes amidst a CEO shakeup at RIM in which co-CEOs Jim Balsillie and Mike Lazaridis stepped down late Sunday evening and were replaced by now former co-COO Thorsten Heins.

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that a BlackBerry PlayBook “revamp” in early 2012 is one of RIM “two biggest projects,” along with new BlackBerry handsets running BlackBerry 10, RIM’s new QNX-based operating system scheduled to ship later in the year.

ZombieBerry 01-23-2012 11:15 AM

Re: Revamped PlayBook Coming in February? Hm...

For a minute I thought they were going to charge some more things in the update. Do over? Guess they are talking about the LTE version and a 3G? I wonder if the price points will remain around the same ballpark?

ifonline 01-23-2012 11:21 AM

They might be talking about the 3G/LTE PlayBook, but I just don't get that impression. One more month to see what happens, I suppose.

jsconyers 01-23-2012 11:23 AM

Weren't they making a 3G/4G Playbook and Sprint dropped it?

I just think it is too little too late for the Playbook at this point. Hopefully the BB10 phones deliver.

ifonline 01-23-2012 11:33 AM

Yep. From what I recall, Sprint was the only carrier that expressed interest in a cellular-capable PlayBook, and they ultimately dropped support for it even before it hit the streets due to a lack of consumer interest. RIM spun the situation as they had pulled the PlayBook from Sprint to focus on LTE. That was many, many months ago.

tricky_ott 01-23-2012 11:40 AM

I've heard a rumour about a larger model, but I doubt they are planning hardware upgrades at this time.

Bacchus15 01-23-2012 08:26 PM

The actual hardware is good as far as im concern, its the software that need more work, im really waiting for OS 2!

tsac 01-23-2012 08:53 PM

Native email and a few other items may make it attractive.

ZombieBerry 01-23-2012 08:55 PM

Yeah, it should. That is until some start griping about BBM. Can't please everyone, but you can make the current users happy. It should be interesting to see what the OS 2.0 experience will be with mail/contacts/etc...

stevetaz 01-24-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZombieBerry (Post 1764674)
.... but you can make the current users happy....

That may be true, but the unfortunate reality is that RIM already has our money. They need to go after those who have not yet bought a PlayBook. Yes, it would be good to have current users rave to their friends and all, but that won't sell the numbers they need to......

<sigh>

lesarmitage 01-24-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifonline (Post 1764560)
From the article PlayBook Do Over: RIM Tablet 'Revamp' Confirmed Amidst RIM CEO Shakeup:

RIM is working hard on a BlackBerry PlayBook revamp for early 2012, which will include the BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 update in February and perhaps two new models. The news comes amidst a CEO shakeup at RIM in which co-CEOs Jim Balsillie and Mike Lazaridis stepped down late Sunday evening and were replaced by now former co-COO Thorsten Heins.

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that a BlackBerry PlayBook “revamp” in early 2012 is one of RIM “two biggest projects,” along with new BlackBerry handsets running BlackBerry 10, RIM’s new QNX-based operating system scheduled to ship later in the year.

Look good to me - very good!

jsconyers 01-24-2012 10:20 AM

I agree with Stevetaz. The current Playbook user base, I would guess is a pretty small one, when in comparison to the other tablets out there. The iPad is out selling the Playbook 74 to 1. So pleasing the current user base isn't going to do too much for the success of the product or company. They need to reach out and try to get more of the market. However, as I said before, it is too little too late at this point, IMHO.