BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Sensitive Discussions (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   President Obama and Evolution (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=172128)

mriff 12-16-2009 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathrynhr (Post 1528619)
I just... I'm speechless.

And incredibly amused! "An apple that is going brown..."

I was particularly frightened by this analogy. Hit a guy right where it hurts why don't cha? Wow. A disservice to all us middle aged guys who can still 'cut a rug'.

djm2 12-16-2009 01:47 PM

I have to use either Exacto knives or box cutters when I want to cut a rug.:oops:

mriff 12-16-2009 10:42 PM

Lol!

jsconyers 01-13-2010 03:38 PM

Texas Rewrites The Nationxxx8217;s Textbooks | Disinformation

mriff 01-13-2010 04:19 PM

“Evolution is hooey…the way I evaluate history textbooks is first I see how they cover Christianity and Israel. Then I see how they treat Ronald Reagan.”

Views like these are relatively common in East Texas. But McLeroy is no ordinary citizen…[he] sits on the Texas State Board of Education, [and leads] an activist bloc that holds enormous sway over the body’s decisions.

As the state goes through the once-in-a-decade process of rewriting the standards for its textbooks, the faction is using its clout to infuse them with ultraconservative ideals. They aim to rehabilitate Joseph McCarthy, bring global-warming denial into science class, and downplay the contributions of the civil rights movement.

Don McLeroy is a nutjob. In a position of authority. And one that influences what the children of TX (and other states) learn from their textbooks.

djm2 01-13-2010 05:09 PM

Because the Texas market is so large, the decisions that are made there have a disproportionate influence within the country as a whole.

kathrynhr 01-14-2010 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsconyers (Post 1546704)

The handful of zealots on both sides who are framing this debate, are whipping people into a froth. (n)

mriff 01-14-2010 10:08 AM

I keep up with the TX debate here: Texas Freedom Network

mriff 01-17-2010 07:53 AM

:smile:

Evolution on a masculine scale. - STLtoday.com

mriff 01-18-2010 09:10 PM

Scientific inquiry. Such as it is. Sometimes it seems as if foregone conclusions should be considered before testing a hypothesis. :smile:

Sighted, blind men both wowed by women's tiny waists - USATODAY.com

kathrynhr 01-19-2010 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 1548688)

THAT is very funny. Good find! (y)(y)

Noodle22 01-19-2010 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 1549708)
Scientific inquiry. Such as it is. Sometimes it seems as if foregone conclusions should be considered before testing a hypothesis. :smile:

Sighted, blind men both wowed by women's tiny waists - USATODAY.com

I guess if a blind guy is feeling up his lady, he doesn't want to feel any rolls?

I don't find that too surprising, but it was definately a good read :)

mriff 02-02-2010 06:36 AM

You divas. :razz:

Evolution may cause men to fall in love more easily - Science Fair - USATODAY.com

kathrynhr 02-02-2010 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 1558373)

I'm no statistics expert, but that seems a very small sample size given presumed variations in age, culture, personality, etc.?

Otherwise very interesting.

djm2 02-02-2010 02:59 PM

I suspect that the biggest issue is really the source of the sample, and the fact that there would probably not be much in the way of variability in many of the key dimensions.

mriff 02-03-2010 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djm2 (Post 1558694)
I suspect that the biggest issue is really the source of the sample, and the fact that there would probably not be much in the way of variability in many of the key dimensions.

You ol' statistician you. :razz:

jsconyers 02-12-2010 11:22 AM

I thought you may enjoy this from The Onion

Evolution Going Great, Reports Trilobite | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

TBOLTRAM 02-12-2010 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 1546739)
“Evolution is hooey…the way I evaluate history textbooks is first I see how they cover Christianity and Israel. Then I see how they treat Ronald Reagan.”

Views like these are relatively common in East Texas. But McLeroy is no ordinary citizen…[he] sits on the Texas State Board of Education, [and leads] an activist bloc that holds enormous sway over the body’s decisions.

As the state goes through the once-in-a-decade process of rewriting the standards for its textbooks, the faction is using its clout to infuse them with ultraconservative ideals. They aim to rehabilitate Joseph McCarthy, bring global-warming denial into science class, and downplay the contributions of the civil rights movement.

Don McLeroy is a nutjob. In a position of authority. And one that influences what the children of TX (and other states) learn from their textbooks.

I read through this thread today. As some of you know there has been an attempt to teach the Bible in Texas public schools. The problem is if they do they also have to teach higher and lower criticism which tends to show the holes in the logic. Example: Sea of Reeds vs. Red Sea, young woman vs. virgin, Thy shall not kidnap vs. Thy shall not steal, Thy shall not murder vs. Thy shall not kill and others.

The real answer is that any dogma is generally full of holes. This also includes some of the followers of evolution. Anyone who follows blindly any dogma is most likely a sad example of the species and may be an example of de-evolution.

mriff 02-12-2010 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM (Post 1564343)
The real answer is that any dogma is generally full of holes. This also includes some of the followers of evolution. Anyone who follows blindly any dogma is most likely a sad example of the species and may be an example of de-evolution.

T-BOLT, I'll need a deconstruct of this statement. What is a 'follower of evolution'? And where in the Theory of Evolution do you find dogma?

TBOLTRAM 02-12-2010 09:14 PM

The Dogma of evolution is that some of it's proponents do not understand that it is a theory and as such is subject of modification as more knowledge is "uncovered." An example is the discovery that some dinosaurs had feathers.

"Followers of evolution" have turned a theory into a form of religion. Evolution is not a law.