BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Sensitive Discussions (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   President Obama and Evolution (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=172128)

test54 03-12-2009 01:31 PM

for those traveling, I found out about this place for a certain movie I watched recently.

Home - The Holy Land Experience
Outside Orlando, FL.

JSanders 03-12-2009 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by test54 (Post 1317620)
for those traveling, I found out about this place for a certain movie I watched recently.

Home - The Holy Land Experience
Outside Orlando, FL.

I spent time studying in the real thing.

Pretty cool though, especially with Orlando being the number one tourist destination in the world.

test54 03-12-2009 01:48 PM

I almost went and studied in Israel. I was ready to go to a summer dig at Masada but cancelled a few weeks out. I still regret that decision.

I do think having the Theme park "Holy Land" in Orlando is great though, more choices for family trips are always good.

mriff 03-12-2009 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSanders (Post 1317585)
It is not as quite a horrific process as mriff makes it seem. Parents don't write textbooks (other than some extreme case; there is always an exception to the rule) and in most cases are given their due influence.

Nowhere did I say it was a horrific process. That's your word.

For the most part, I think the process works fine. I was simply asking a question to spur thinking. But I do think that the right experts in subject matter need to have more influence in what is written in text books. It would solve some of the problems we have with science texts.

mriff 03-12-2009 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathrynhr (Post 1317591)
Because many people believe in creationism, children will encounter it. Time permitting, the issue should be addressed. It's the responsible thing to do.

So how do you think it should be addressed? As an alternate 'theory' in the science classroom or in some other subject such as humanities or philosophy?

JSanders 03-12-2009 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 1318344)
It would solve some of the problems we have with science texts.

Your 'we' may just be the minority. Seems the process might be working as intended.

At how many local or state school board meetings have you made your voice heard on this issue?

kathrynhr 03-13-2009 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 1318349)
So how do you think it should be addressed? As an alternate 'theory' in the science classroom or in some other subject such as humanities or philosophy?

The former. Splitting it out serves no practical purpose. The only purpose served would be ideological.

If the purpose of school is to educate children in order to prepare them for life (as opposed to preparing them only for college and/or the next course they will take) then logic says it is right to expose them not only to both schools of thought, but also to the debate that we are having now. If you split the class, that won't happen.

BTW, for the same set of reasons, I believe birth control and abstinence should be taught side by side in the same class.

mriff 03-13-2009 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSanders (Post 1318367)
Your 'we' may just be the minority. Seems the process might be working as intended.

It might just be, which is very unfortunate. The 'we' are in the best position to outline what should be called science and what should not IMHO.

Quote:

At how many local or state school board meetings have you made your voice heard on this issue?
I have done this a few times. Not as many as I'd like. I have made my voice known through communications with state and federal office holders as well.

mriff 03-13-2009 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathrynhr (Post 1318602)
The former. Splitting it out serves no practical purpose. The only purpose served would be ideological.

If the purpose of school is to educate children in order to prepare them for life (as opposed to preparing them only for college and/or the next course they will take) then logic says it is right to expose them not only to both schools of thought, but also to the debate that we are having now. If you split the class, that won't happen.

Then this is where we part ways. Every bit of emperical and scientific evidence points to evolution. And there is not one scientific piece of verifiable testable evidence that points to creationism. So to teach creationism as even remotely resembling science is doing a great disservice to our students. Teaching creationism should be left up to our churches and we as parents.

Quote:

BTW, for the same set of reasons, I believe birth control and abstinence should be taught side by side in the same class.
Completely agree. (y)

Dawg 03-13-2009 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 1318733)
Then this is where we part ways. Every bit of emperical and scientific evidence points to evolution. And there is not one scientific piece of verifiable testable evidence that points to creationism. So to teach creationism as even remotely resembling science is doing a great disservice to our students. Teaching creationism should be left up to our churches and we as parents.


Completely agree. (y)

You're here arent you? You were created when your Dad... well I think you know the rest of the story.

Just like the earth was created when got snapped his fingers and said so.

mriff 03-13-2009 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg (Post 1318853)
You're here arent you? You were created when your Dad... well I think you know the rest of the story.

Just like the earth was created when got snapped his fingers and said so.

Ok Dawg. Thanks for your comments. I give up trying to respond to anything you say in this thread.

mriff 03-13-2009 02:57 PM

Another debate thread. Looks familiar.

Creationism, Evolution, Faith and Reason - dot.comments

mriff 03-13-2009 03:00 PM

This is a very interesting article. Comments from anyone?

http://newsok.com/why-pastor-evangel...rticle/3352257

mriff 03-13-2009 03:05 PM

Very interesting article (at least to me). Another tiny piece of information that once again supports the larger body of knowledge.

The Platypus and the Evolution of Genomic Imprinting

Dawg 03-13-2009 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 1318883)
Ok Dawg. Thanks for your comments. I give up trying to respond to anything you say in this thread.

LOL

djm2 03-14-2009 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 1319155)
Very interesting article (at least to me). Another tiny piece of information that once again supports the larger body of knowledge.

The Platypus and the Evolution of Genomic Imprinting

That was interesting, and thanks for posting the link. I was not aware of that site, which looks to be quite good.

mriff 03-14-2009 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djm2 (Post 1319815)
That was interesting, and thanks for posting the link. I was not aware of that site, which looks to be quite good.

You're welcome. I'm rather new to the site as well. I'll be doing some exploring. I like how they have all the difference sciences lined up with an easy to navigate system. On the Life Sciences page, there's a direct link to all the blogs on evolution. That blog has been busy this year with the Darwin anniversary.

mriff 03-14-2009 11:50 AM

Even if you don't believe in evolution, you will undoubtedly benefit from the research being conducted. If you care to look at just one small example, please see the following:

Resurrection In Evolution: IRGM Genexxx039;s Death And Rebirth

mriff 03-15-2009 06:23 AM

And people wonder why we continue to fall behind the rest of the developed countries in science knowledge.

Photo: Evolution Less Accepted in U.S. Than Other Western Countries, Study Finds

djm2 03-15-2009 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 1320719)
And people wonder why we continue to fall behind the rest of the developed countries in science knowledge.

Photo: Evolution Less Accepted in U.S. Than Other Western Countries, Study Finds

I had seen that before. Only Turkey -- the one Muslim-dominated country in the world that allows the teaching of evolution -- trails the US. What a sad state of affairs.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.