BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Verizon BIS now 2.8? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=206091)

kurichan 10-03-2009 10:04 AM

Verizon BIS now 2.8?

Seems the login page for Verizon BIS has been moved...

Connected with the BIS 2.8 upgrade?

How the heck do we know what version of BIS we're using?

How is the new Google sync functionality in 2.8 accessed?

Dubdub 10-03-2009 10:35 AM

First, you have no control over which BIS is used. That is a carrier/RIM thing. The US is converting to 2.8 this weekend.

As for features and changes, please use our search function. There are several threads on what it contains.

MidnightDraven 10-03-2009 10:38 AM

The google sync thing in 2.8 i believe requires OS 5, most likely an official version, but may work with a beta.

kurichan 10-03-2009 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubdub (Post 1482579)
First, you have no control over which BIS is used. That is a carrier/RIM thing.The US is converting to 2.8 this weekend.

I didn't ask if I have control over which BIS version I'm using - I asked how to figure out what version is in use.

Quote:

As for features and changes, please use our search function. There are several threads on what it contains.
Once again, I didn't ask for a list of features and changes which is readily available all over, rather, how the new Google Sync functionality in BIS 2.8 is used. I know how to search. This is not a subject that has been covered on the board, but rather, will now be covered as 2.8 rolls out...

Dubdub 10-03-2009 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurichan (Post 1482583)
DubDub - you really need to read more carefully before dashing off a reply. I didn't ask if I have control over which BIS version I'm using - I asked how to figure out what version is in use.

Once again, I didn't ask for a list of features and changes which is readily available all over, rather, how the new Google Sync functionality in BIS 2.8 is used. This is not a subject that has been covered on the board, but rather, will now be covered as 2.8 rolls out.

Search first is a great motto, but READ FIRST is even better.

I read the post and I responded with what I thought was the appropriate information.

If you had used the search function you would have answered your question on Google sync.

The reason I said you have no control is that if you are on it, you are and if you aren't you aren't. Some carriers will tell you which you are on, others will not.

According to various postings and info from RIM the event has occurred and you are on 2.8. And those new features have been discussed here in the Forums. How and if they work is another issue that we will now begin to discover.

Using Google SEARCH, you would find this.

BIS 2.8 has landed in North America : Boy Genius Report

SteveO86 10-03-2009 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnightdraven (Post 1482580)
The google sync thing in 2.8 i believe requires OS 5, most likely an official version, but may work with a beta.

I'm running a beta 5.0 on my 8330, so far I haven't seen the Contact Sync option yet. So we probably won't see it until 5.0 gets more stable.

jbairdjr 10-03-2009 11:05 AM

I think Verizon was doing something with BIS early this morining. At around 0200 this morning, mail wasn't coming in, and I could not access the email setup app on my Blackberry.

akosnitzky 10-03-2009 11:06 AM

Wirelessly posted (Lets Go Canes!)

What if you resend your service books? I can't remember if I did that in past. Your features may appear different.

kurichan 10-03-2009 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubdub (Post 1482589)
I read the post and I responded with what I thought was the appropriate information.

If you had used the search function you would have answered your question on Google sync.

The reason I said you have no control is that if you are on it, you are and if you aren't you aren't. Some carriers will tell you which you are on, others will not.

According to various postings and info from RIM the event has occurred and you are on 2.8. And those new features have been discussed here in the Forums. How and if they work is another issue that we will now begin to discover.

Using Google SEARCH, you would find this.

BIS 2.8 has landed in North America : Boy Genius Report

DubDub, this is a place to discuss and share information. I posted an appropriate, clear question that would lead to productive discussion AFTER doing a search.

The information on the board pertains to the Google Sync application, and pre 2.8 BIS release sync speculation. That's WHY I asked the question...

Now you have posted useful information. Thank you VERY MUCH! But frankly, your first post was more a brush off than anything and didn't address my questions.

The BGR link would have a been a great response the first time around...

JSanders 10-03-2009 11:22 AM

Kurichan, chill.

If you don't want answers and comments (even IF they are not the answers you expected), then don't post questions.

You'll find literally hundreds of threads here where the issue was discussed in many formats before arriving at the answer.

Quote:

Connected with the BIS 2.8 upgrade?

How the heck do we know what version of BIS we're using?

How is the new Google sync functionality in 2.8 accessed?
So if you only want specific answers to your specific questions:

Yes.
You repush your service books and it will be on 2.8

kurichan 10-03-2009 11:30 AM

JSanders - there is a growing tendency on this board for Moderators to patronize and brush off users asking legitimate questions. The stock answer seems to be "Use the Search Button."

Read my original question, then read the DubDub "moderator" reply. It's a completely disconnected brush off.

From a non-moderator user, no surprise, no big deal, stuff happens.

But from a MODERATOR?

This stuff just isn't productive.

I've said my peace. I'm dropping this here.

kurichan 10-03-2009 11:39 AM

Service books resent (before I posted this thread and resent again just for good measure).

No apparent changes in Address Book or Options.

I think that SteveO86 might be on to something by saying that we might not get the address sync until 5.0 is more stable.

I rummaged around Google and Blackberry.com for the "BlackBerry Internet Service 2.8 Documentation Kit" mentioned in the BGR posting that DubDub posted but am not finding it. Has anyone located it or any useful information?

Has anyone confirmed Google address functionality actually working in BIS 2.8?

kurichan 10-03-2009 11:45 AM

1. On the BlackBerry® Internet Service web site, in the left pane, click Email Accounts.
2. Click the Edit icon beside your Google Mailxxx8482; email address.
3. Select the Contacts check box.
4. Click Save.

kurichan 10-03-2009 11:51 AM

The "Contacts" check box is NOT showing up in my BIS Google accounts...

Has anyone had the Contacts check box show up?

JSanders 10-03-2009 11:59 AM

kurichan, there is also a growing tendency of you to complain too much.

Good luck.

akosnitzky 10-03-2009 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurichan (Post 1482616)
The "Contacts" check box is NOT showing up in my BIS Google accounts...

Has anyone had the Contacts check box show up?

I have not seen it. Then again, I dont see the the resend service books option anymore if it matters. One of our respected BBF colleagues posed the same question, "Where is the service books?" on his twitter acct

akosnitzky 10-03-2009 12:25 PM

Resend service books is under the help option. Thank you for the BGR link DUBDUB

JSanders 10-03-2009 12:26 PM

Yep, the resend service books options has been under the help screen since the intro of BIS 2.7 earlier in the summer.

akosnitzky 10-03-2009 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSanders (Post 1482637)
Yep, the resend service books options has been under the help screen since the intro of BIS 2.7 earlier in the summer.

Thank you as well. I have only put real focus on BIS when we went away from web client (2.0?) and when we went to html e-mail (2.5?)

One of your mods had also asked where the resend service books links was as well.

I am getting ready for 3.0 (y):razz:

kingzee 10-03-2009 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSanders (Post 1482637)

Not so. Mine have always been listed on the left side with the other links until today.