BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Site Suggestions, News & Problems (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   ADMIN: want out! (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=256145)

NY_bb_O9 12-10-2011 10:54 AM

ADMIN: want out!

Sold my bb in June. No longer need to be here, can you please delete my posts?

Dubdub 12-10-2011 02:09 PM

Re: ADMIN: want out!

Nope. We always leave them incase there is something someone can learn from reading them.

NY_bb_O9 12-10-2011 04:13 PM

(n)

NJBlackBerry 12-10-2011 05:48 PM

Deal with it.

dc/dc 12-10-2011 07:38 PM

And this is the wrong section.

daphne 12-10-2011 11:21 PM

Moved

Thiego-uk 12-13-2011 11:30 AM

Ok! I'll start it.
WOW!!!

ifonline 12-13-2011 11:49 AM

No, no... magic bananas! Double magic bananas even! And for the record I fully expect all of my posts to be bronzed and put on display when I leave this planet.

penguin3107 12-13-2011 12:01 PM

I don't really see the OP's request as being all that unreasonable. Not sure why there's such a "wow" response to it.
People are concerned about online privacy and the trail of digital information they leave behind.

They asked if their history could be removed... the mods said no and gave their reasoning... user was disappointed... end of story.

ifonline 12-13-2011 12:29 PM

Quote:

People are concerned about online privacy and the trail of digital information they leave behind.
It's a strange request. No need to post in a public forum if there is concern about a digital history.

WARNING: This post will self-destruct in 10 minutes so as to preserve the security of my digital history. I wouldn't want anyone to know that some random person that calls himself "ifonline" has posted anything in BlackBerry Forums.

penguin3107 12-13-2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifonline (Post 1759142)
It's a strange request. No need to post in a public forum if there is concern about a digital history.

It's not a strange request at all.

Most major social networking sites give you the option to completely erase your own account.
It's becoming much more common to have control over your own history.
BBF doesn't support this, and that's perfectly fine. Maybe some day they will.

ifonline 12-13-2011 01:46 PM

It is a strange request, especially considering the point of this site (and similar sites) is to collect conversations for reference. Erasing posts in a public forum breaks up the conversations, and if enough people clean up after themselves because of some strange hangup over public conversations, the value in older posts diminishes to the point that there is no need to keep any history at all.

penguin3107 12-13-2011 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifonline (Post 1759173)
Erasing posts in a public forum breaks up the conversations, and if enough people clean up after themselves because of some strange hangup over public conversations, the value in older posts diminishes to the point that there is no need to keep any history at all.

Which is likely the reason that BBF won't/can't do this. Completely acceptable for someone who has an understanding about how these forums work, from both a social and technical aspect.

However, many less-technical users might not see that point of view.
They see it as "Well, Google can erase my Google+ account and all related content, so why not this site too?" They just don't know any better.

I still don't see it as a strange request. To me, it's just not a common request.
I've seen many users post that they want their BBF account to be "closed". It shows me that an increasing amount of people are becoming more aware of their digital history and would like to take steps to clean things up.

ifonline 12-13-2011 02:31 PM

Fair enough. Now that we are on the same sheet of music (save the fact that I still believe it is a strange request), I get what you are saying.

daphne 12-14-2011 12:12 AM

I don't think it's a strange request either really.

Tom 12-16-2011 02:42 PM

I do not see it as a strange request. The problem isn't so much as erasing a persons history, as it a problem of leaving several threads useless. A old thread is a complete puzzle from start to finish, and could very much help someone correct a problem or issue they have been having, and if one post is removed, it could be a vital piece of that puzzle and the thread now stands useless unable to solve the persons problem.

Tom

devnull 12-16-2011 03:40 PM

I understand where you're coming from Tom, however doesn't the same "puzzle" issue occur when folks are banned?

Please don't ban me for saying that. I'm just playing devils advocate... :)

ifonline 12-16-2011 03:45 PM

Banning someone doesn't necessarily remove historic posts from that person. Depends on what switches are set in vBulletin when banning.

devnull 12-16-2011 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifonline (Post 1759624)
Banning someone doesn't necessarily remove historic posts from that person. Depends on what switches are set in vBulletin when banning.

Gotcha.. I didn't know the inter workings of vBulletin. Thanks for clarifying.

JSanders 12-16-2011 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguin3107 (Post 1759161)
It's not a strange request at all.

Most major social networking sites give you the option to completely erase your own account.

Right, and BBF isn't "major". :-o

And, 'banning' doesn't delete posts, it only removes the user's standing to login, post, etc., and the history remains here.