BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 8100 Series Discussion - Pearl (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   2GB microSD card working (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=50295)

disp350 10-10-2006 02:49 PM

SD Media Card - Max Size?

Sorry if its been asked before, I used the search function and could not find the answer. Its not on the box, the included documentation, or T-Mobile site. What is the maximum size SD card that can be used in the 8100?

nigletsyz 10-10-2006 03:13 PM

so far, 1GB is the limit

EDIT: 2GB on the Rogers OS update... thanks for clearing that up

disp350 10-10-2006 05:44 PM

Thanks, much appreciated.

gryzing 10-10-2006 08:08 PM

I purchased a 2gig MicroSD card and slid it into my T-Mobile Pearl and the screen was blinking on and off with the red light flashing. So it WAS a 1gig limit. I then upgraded my phone to the Rogers version (which is newer than T-Mobiles, although both are written by RIM). The 2gig works, this is confirmed. And yes, i'm pretty stoked that I didn't waste $70 bucks.

rambo47 10-10-2006 08:16 PM

This gives us hope that when the T-Mobile upgrade hits the net all those 2 GB cards folks bought (without checking the posted specs of the Pearl) will finally work. C'mon, T-Mo! Git er done!

gryzing 10-10-2006 08:19 PM

Yeah honestly, reading all of the bugs that people had with the Rogers update I didn't see what all the fuss was about? I had a small issue with my font size at first but after changing it a couple times it went back to normal, i'll probably upgrade to the T-Mobile version when it comes out if it's newer than the Rogers release... sorta funny that the knowledge center on the Blackberry website said they weren't planning a fix for this issue.

deezmfnutz 10-11-2006 12:12 AM

2GB microSD card working

As has been reported in a few longish threads the 2GB microSD card is supported in the newest 8100M_PBr4.2.0_rel61_PL2.2.0.32_A4.2.0.51_Rogers firmware. My 2GB card is working like a charm.

gryzing 10-11-2006 01:02 AM

As is mine (y)

RogersJoel 10-11-2006 01:31 AM

Damn it and i just bought a new card!! going straight to the store to return it!! Where did you guys buy your 2gig cards?

MartyS 10-11-2006 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambo47
This gives us hope that when the T-Mobile upgrade hits the net all those 2 GB cards folks bought (without checking the posted specs of the Pearl) will finally work. C'mon, T-Mo! Git er done!

Has anyone heard anything from T-Mobile regarding the upgrade? Does anyone know if the upgrade might enhance the reception on the phone. My RAZR gets 2 bars in my home, the BB rarely gets a signal inside the house.

Thanks!

gryzing 10-11-2006 09:20 AM

I got mine on eBay for something like $74 bucks. I did a little Froogle comparison and the other cards I saw were starting anywhere from $85 to $90 so I saved a few bucks 8-)

gryzing 10-11-2006 09:22 AM

That's weird... I get awesome reception on mine. You should buy one of those chinsy battery boosters you see on the infomercials... where it draws reception from your house. You'll have so many bars you'll be like Fort Knox.

fritter 10-11-2006 09:32 AM

so with the rogers firmware upgrade it works like a champ and for people that are still on t-mobiles firmware its not working right?

cool im glad i upgraded to rogers firmware then

fritter

pearloid 10-11-2006 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deezmfnutz
As has been reported in a few longish threads the 2GB microSD card is supported in the newest 8100M_PBr4.2.0_rel61_PL2.2.0.32_A4.2.0.51_Rogers firmware. My 2GB card is working like a charm.

The firmware at T-Mobile (my carrier) is still 4.2.0.42. Should I wait for them to post newer version or what?

kmccarthy 10-11-2006 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pearloid
The firmware at T-Mobile (my carrier) is still 4.2.0.42. Should I wait for them to post newer version or what?

i would. that is what i am doing

kmccarthy 10-11-2006 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gryzing
That's weird... I get awesome reception on mine. You should buy one of those chinsy battery boosters you see on the infomercials... where it draws reception from your house. You'll have so many bars you'll be like Fort Knox.

lol. i also get great reception with mine. i would take it back (of course if you are within 14 days)

deezmfnutz 10-11-2006 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fritter
so with the rogers firmware upgrade it works like a champ and for people that are still on t-mobiles firmware its not working right?

cool im glad i upgraded to rogers firmware then

fritter

Correct....

gryzing 10-11-2006 09:52 AM

It doesn't really matter, the T-Mobile firmware & Rogers firmware are both code written by RIM. All my T-Mobile functions work (T-Zones is still in my App. Menu). So I don't see why people are holding out.

fritter 10-11-2006 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartyS
Has anyone heard anything from T-Mobile regarding the upgrade? Does anyone know if the upgrade might enhance the reception on the phone. My RAZR gets 2 bars in my home, the BB rarely gets a signal inside the house.

Thanks!

Man i wouldnt put it past them to wait until begining of next year for an update on firmware. they are not thinking of fixes, just sales. its fourth quarter and sales are needed. not updates!

fritter

deezmfnutz 10-11-2006 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pearloid

If you have a 2GB microSD card then you should upgrade to the Rogers firmware asap since it allows you to use 2GB microSD cards. Otherwise it is pretty much a wash. People were causing a storm complaining about all sorts of bugs with the rogers firmware. I have not had experienced any bugs as of yet.

2gigs of music on this tiny phone rocks. Now I am just waiting for my Seido 2.5 -> 3.5 mm adapter so that I can use a proper set of headphones. if the sound quality is ok I will stop carrying my iPod.