BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   New Members Forum (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Former Windows Mobile user Converted! (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=74633)

sslbun 04-28-2007 12:46 PM

Former Windows Mobile user Converted!

Hi - Brand new to the BB world. Just got an 8800 from Cingular.

This forum is extremely helpful. I've gotten practically all my questions answered. I was a complete noob to BB, but I think the forum has turned that around. It's helped me get other vendor themes, enabled BBMaps for free, pointed me in all the right directions.

I used WM devices for years, my last one being on Verizon (XV6700). And I have to say that getting an 8800 is like a breath of fresh air. My main gripe is lack of 3G. But that said, my blackberry loads pages faster than Verizon's EVDO since it took my XV6700 about 45 seconds to connect to the internet. Google maps is about the same speed after initially loading faster. One other gripe is lack of customization. WM devices are far more customizable, but I would never go back. Everything just works and works better than any WM device i've ever had. No crashes, freezes, 4 minute bootup times. Everything actually works and that's incredibly refreshing.

Never going back.

nexteli836man 04-28-2007 12:55 PM

Great Welcome to your new home;-)

lark 04-28-2007 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sslbun (Post 522746)
Hi - Brand new to the BB world. Just got an 8800 from Cingular.

I used WM devices for years, my last one being on Verizon (XV6700).

Where are you located? I noticed you also switched carriers from VZW to Cingular/AT&T. How do the networks compare? I am also thinking of switching from VZW to either Cingular or T-Mobile, primarily because of the available devices. However, I believe in Mass. the networks are pretty similar.

LunkHead 04-28-2007 03:00 PM

Welcome! I came from the Treo line about 3 years ago! You will never look back!

brucejr 04-28-2007 03:54 PM

Welcome to the Forums!

sslbun 04-28-2007 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lark (Post 522798)
Where are you located? I noticed you also switched carriers from VZW to Cingular/AT&T. How do the networks compare? I am also thinking of switching from VZW to either Cingular or T-Mobile, primarily because of the available devices. However, I believe in Mass. the networks are pretty similar.

I'm in Manhattan. Overall, I've found Cingular to have better coverage. I live downtown, but spend a lot of time on the upper west side. My VZW acct would drop a lot of calls on the upper west side. Don't know if this means anything to you.

But the main reason I switched is because I don't really like VZW's attitude towards customers. Just one example: both my wife's phone and mine with Verizon had file transfer disabled so that you had to pay to get additional media on your phone. That made me mad enough to hack both phones (razr and XV6700) to enable the file transfer. My phone also had tethering disabled, so again, I had to fix it. Also, I like the ability to swap sim cards, which I can't do with Verizon. Helps when traveling overseas.

ezrunner 04-28-2007 06:56 PM

Welcome to BBF(y)

onlindis 04-30-2007 09:03 PM

Welcome to the forums!