BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Beta You Than Me (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118)
-   -   NEED HELP ASAP!-OS 4.5.0.42 on 8310 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=134501)

drjohndaly 06-10-2008 09:49 PM

NEED HELP ASAP!-OS 4.5.0.42 on 8310

I need help badly! I tried to install 4.5.0.42 on my AT&T 8310 and it caused the device to stay in a reset loop, while the desktop manager won't connect to the device to allow me to make any changes. This was done on a Vista machine, with DM 4.3. There is no media card inserted, but I did have the SIM in the device. Please help as I am very frustrated and continue to lose sleep!:?
Thank you, in advance, for any help that you can give me.
John Daly

jibi 06-10-2008 09:58 PM

What to do next if Jl Cmder will not connect and wipe - BlackBerryFAQ

You will want to stay out of Desktop Manager and use Application Loader Legacy/Lite (Loader.exe).

drjohndaly 06-10-2008 10:00 PM

How do I do that?

jibi 06-10-2008 10:06 PM

Click on the link and follow the directions. In the Installation part of the instructions (after the nojvm command-line stuff), you will want to navigate in Windows Explorer to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader and double-click on Loader.exe to launch the legacy version of Application Loader.

drjohndaly 06-10-2008 10:10 PM

Thanks, I'll give that a try later tonight when I get home. Do you advise using a Windows XP laptop instead of Vista?

blackcivic 06-10-2008 10:11 PM

i don't know if it would matter, but you might be better off with XP

vinmontRD 06-10-2008 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackcivic (Post 965629)
i don't know if it would matter, but you might be better off with XP

Now THAT is an understatement! :)

JSanders 06-10-2008 10:14 PM

If you have a choice of using the two PCs OSs, chose XP for the project. Load Desktop Manager to that PC--Version 4.2 Service Pack 2, withOUT the Media Manager, or version 4.3 withOUT the Media Manager. Get your OS downloaded as well.

Follow the instructions for JL_Cmder and you will be fine.

drjohndaly 06-10-2008 10:22 PM

Re: JSanders,
1.Does Media Manager cause many problems like this? If so, are we better off not downloading and using it?
2.Can I still try to install 4.5, or should I go back to the original OS(4.2)?
3.Where do I find the instructions for JL_Cmder
Thanks again,
JD

JSanders 06-10-2008 10:40 PM

1. Media Manage didn't cause your problem, but in an emergency to download, install and use Desktop Manager, you don't need the bulk of Media Manager. Plus you really don't need it in the long run.

2. You choose. Simply personal. If it were vital, I would go with 4.2 for now.

3. Sorry, I missed Jibi's post above. You can use that link he gave you, for instructions for your issue also.
or this: How do I wipe the BlackBerry using Jl Cmder? - BlackBerryFAQ

drjohndaly 06-10-2008 11:07 PM

Thanks so much. I'll give it a try later tonight and give an update after...

fizzleation 06-10-2008 11:34 PM

Out of curiosity, what is the basis for XP being a better choice for this application? I don't care about anyone's opinion of Vista, I am curious about facts.

JSanders 06-10-2008 11:39 PM

My only reason to state that is that too many new users to this forum have issues loading DM on Vista. I feel those issues will improve with newer releases of DM, on the way, but that's not a fact, just a feeling. Until then, if asked as this OP did, I would recommend XP.

vinmontRD 06-11-2008 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fizzleation (Post 965709)
Out of curiosity, what is the basis for XP being a better choice for this application? I don't care about anyone's opinion of Vista, I am curious about facts.

Difficult to answer when considering your stated conditions... My "opinion" of Vista is based on many, many years of experience with software (designing, developing, managing, on small and large scales). I can't offer a slew of reproduceable facts and specific behaviors that will win arguments - but my experience with Vista over the last year has convinced me that, while pretty and perhaps providing a few new worthwhile features, it tends to create complexities, difficulties and incompatibilities for software publishers that were either less onerous or non-existent under XP. In short - Vista has struck me as having a tendency to "bring out the worst" in software.

I use Vista on a couple of my work machines, but count on XP for the situations when I must be most productive, and cannot afford to have the system simply slow down or lock up for no apparent reason at random.

My "opinion" is that beta software doesn't necessarily perform flawlessly to begin with, and that one would have the best shot of success running the beta product in a simpler, more forgiving and less buggy OS than Vista. It may, in fact, run fine under Vista -- but in general, I find XP to be a more stable and predictable environment, and when I am testing beta products, it's nice to be able to separate out issues that are due to the product from those that are due to the OS.

- Jon

fizzleation 06-11-2008 11:11 AM

GASP!!! Two mature, intelligent posts on a comparison between vista and XP?!? haha, Both excellent points. Thanks!

drjohndaly 06-12-2008 05:54 PM

Thanks so much! I followed the instructions above, with a little improvising, and things appear to be working!
JD