BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   RIM Software (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Remove IT Policy (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=67224)

RWM 07-14-2007 10:34 AM

Thanks, John. I hate to waste space with just a thank you, but you should know how much your efforts are helping the little people out here. Thanks again.

John Clark 07-14-2007 02:07 PM

Thanks! I didn't come up with this fix, however....I only reworded and posted here for everyone's convenience. I did create the policy.bin that is linked as people were unsure of the one posted on the internet. It has helped many many people, though.

cwonsey 07-21-2007 12:24 PM

No Wipe Option - Newest O/S

I do not have the option to Wipe in my security settings and I have upgraded to the latest Roger's O/S. Is it possible that the Wipe option is disabled by the policy on the device? If so, is there a way around this or am I SOL without finding a BES server?

smoosa 07-30-2007 07:59 PM

hey guys great article, but I am one of those unfortunates not to be able to have this thing work. I have done step by step and I still have not been able to remove the IT policy. I have a 7290 from Rogers. Upon pointing the key to the policy it still will not allow me to disable the firewall. There are options on how to reset the settings/save/cancel and that's it. The policy that was on here makes me change passwords on the blackberry every 30 days. I cannot also use google maps because of the firewall. I have the latest desktop manager software 4.2.2, and the latest 4.0 handheld code. I did try a j cmd to wipe the device first and then javaloader to load the software direct out of the box no luck. Then I followed the article step by step and still no luck :(, any other suggestions?

FourPetesake 08-01-2007 02:29 PM

RIM Support said:

I EBay'd a 7250 the other day which came with an ITPolicy on it. I was unable to send SMS, or download any applications from the web. Not knowing what the problem was I spent time on the phone with Verizon and RIM trying to get to the bottom of this. Then I found this thread and found it interesting. RIM said they would get back to me in 24 hours with a solution. I didn't want to go home and follow the procedure listed in this thread because the profile was not going to be completely removed. Well wouldn't you know, RIM sent me the identical procedure and an enclosed "profile.bin" and commented:

"Although an IT Policy cannot be removed from a BlackBerry, we can overwrite it with a less restrictive one. This will require that the handheld be wiped of all data, so please ensure that your handheld is backed up prior to starting."

There you have it, from the horses mouth.

-Four

John Clark 08-01-2007 07:45 PM

What is the "profile.bin" used for? Are you referring to policy.bin?

delyon 08-11-2007 01:30 PM

Ok maybe you can help me John. I bought a used 8300 Curve and I have an IT policy on it. I am also a mac user, so this will be a bit different.

I had the same issue with the security password enabled. I have an IT policy that says IT Policy Name: Password Policy (it also says last updated Jun 27,2007 12:41PM)

Now I have a unique problem that I have not seen here. When I try to sync it with my mac software the software asks for password. When I type in the password it doesnt accept it as being correct. And i can see this to be true when I check the blackberry it shows incorrect tries.

I use a program called Parallels Desktop to run windows Vista and I downloaded your post and followed the instructions to a T. When i try to activate the phone with the desktop manager it too asks for a password. I have tried in vain to get beyond this step. I have tried 4 zeros, 5 zeros, 1234. I have tried resetting the password on the phone, all to no luck.

Do you know of anyway around this? I think all that I need to do is validate the phone and then I can change the password to disabled and I should be ok.

Appreciate any help.

attlee 09-19-2007 01:49 AM

cant work

thanks your information regarding the removal of IT Policy, after following the procedure that you provided, I still cant remove the IT Policy of my 8707G, can let me know what has happened or in fact i cant apply the procedure for this model ? thanks:cry:

newbie100 09-19-2007 03:02 AM

Ok, I have tried this, and it works for me :-

Create an online IMAP account if you dont have one.
Download and Install Free BES for MDS Trial version on WinXP pro.
Configure the BES server to use the IMAP server as part of the install.

Now, use the BES server to generate a password for your new device, and
then on the device, enter the IMAP4 email address and password.

This will associate your device with your very own 120 day trial BES server.
You can then reset all restrictive IT policies.

You need to wipe your handheld clean in order to associate with a new BES server.

It should still work after you uninstall the BES server.

Have not tried to disassociate the user from the BES server, but may do that before my 120 trial runs out to see what happens (i.e if it removes the IT policy).

John Clark 09-19-2007 09:33 AM

The policy.bin posted above came from BES express. The process here should give you the same policy without the need to install BES express or trial.

Mark Rejhon 09-19-2007 11:06 AM

I still have some other BlackBerries that do not come with Keystroke Injection support. These IT Policies do squat about that. And I'm told even downloading the BES Trial wouldn't help. (Unless the newer version fixes that yet?)

Anybody come up with a solution to re-enabling Keystroke Injection on BlackBerry devices, yet? I'd love to know. That'd finally permit Bluetooth keyboards to work on those BlackBerries again.

John Clark 09-19-2007 11:26 AM

Nothing that I know of Mark, short of adding it back to a BES that will push new application permission defaults back to the device. The keystroke injection is not included in the "IT policy." It's another control on the BES that disables it. When I added my Freedom keyboard the BES Admin had to put me into another application permission group (my terminolgoy may be off here as it was quite a while back.) I can use keystroke injection with that particular driver/app only. I can likely connect any BB to my account on BES and get that same policy pushed automatically. It would open up the keystroke injection for that particular driver.

Edit: He did say that there was a way to open up keystroke injection for anything but that he didn't want to do that. There are only two things our BES has locked. Keystroke injection and browser filters. Other than that they put no restrictive policy on our devices.

Mark Rejhon 09-20-2007 04:50 PM

I guess Keystroke Injection is highly secured, because of the dangers it poses: It can be used to secretly remotely access a BlackBerry, something you don't want hackers to do...

dotcalm1 09-21-2007 06:12 PM

THanks!

It worked! Thank you

micmac 09-22-2007 08:09 AM

hi i have 8700v from vodafone i cannot install any appz because this policy
i followed all steps to remove it policy but without succes

i can remove the it policy in 8700v?????

John Clark 09-22-2007 08:11 AM

The policy can be removed on the 8700v. You must be doing something wrong somewhere in the process.

micmac 09-22-2007 08:19 AM

hi

no man, all steps is good
1- i putted policy.bin in C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry
2- i Wiped your Blackberry
3- i Closed the Desktop Manager
4- i do it this :
HKEY_Current_Users\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\PolicyManager

Right-Click the Policy Manager Folder and select New/String Value. Name the value Path. Now, Double-Click the Path Subkey and set Value Data to:

C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\policy.bin

5- Open the Desktop Manager.

6- Connect the Device.

i do it all this

what's wrong ???

bb8700v v4.2.1.101 (plate-forme 2.3.0.81)

micmac 09-22-2007 08:32 AM

hi

when i wipe my device always he need new password, i enter the new but i cannot disable it

plz i need ur help

micmac 09-22-2007 08:34 AM

and i c always this error when i want to install appz

A fatal error has occurred while updating your device's software. Please try again.

The following modules are not permitted to be loaded by your administrator:

xplayer.cod
xplayer_th_loader.cod
xplayer_theme_0.cod
xplayer_theme_1.cod
xfile.cod

dregnery 09-24-2007 07:59 PM

Not going to use a BES

I am not attached to a BES and will not use a BES. I will use the Desktop Redirect Connection, assuming I can remove the previous owners IT Policy.