BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Beta You Than Me (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118)
-   -   Bold charging pod not working after upgrade to OS 5.0 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=203113)

gberneck 09-03-2009 10:59 AM

Bold charging pod not working after upgrade to OS 5.0

I upgraded to 5.0.1.190 two days ago and all working is well with the known exceptions. I am loving the threaded SMS. It offsets the loss of FB. The only issue I am having is with my charging pods. I have two and neither work with 5.0. I am getting a message of "USB charging current is not sufficient. Verify that your handheld is connected to a powered USB charging source and that the proper USB driver is installed." The pods are not connected to a computer but to a RIM power cord. Also, the onscreen indicator is not showing any charge taking place.

Anyone else having this issue or have any ideas as to how to resolve?

jeremyckitching 09-03-2009 11:07 AM

I am having the same issue with my Curve 8900 on 5.0.0.190. I figure it is just a bug with the OS. At first I thought it might have been on purpose because the new devices (Onyx, Storm 2) don't have those charging contacts on the back. So I thought maybe the new OS won't support the charging via pods. I am not 100% sure, though. In any case, I am simply charging via the USB connector.

gberneck 09-03-2009 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremyckitching (Post 1464677)
I am having the same issue with my Curve 8900 on 5.0.0.190. I figure it is just a bug with the OS. At first I thought it might have been on purpose because the new devices (Onyx, Storm 2) don't have those charging contacts on the back. So I thought maybe the new OS won't support the charging via pods. I am not 100% sure, though. In any case, I am simply charging via the USB connector.

I'm glad it's not just me. If this is the biggest issue I have off a beta I'll gladly live with it. But it is really funny how much you can miss a simple convenience. No more grab-and-go for a while, I guess.

jeremyckitching 09-03-2009 11:13 AM

I feel you. I really enjoyed just docking the 8900 in the charging pod. Hopefully the official release of a 5.0 OS will address it. If not, I guess I will just buy a new device. Ha! I use any excuse to get a new one...

gberneck 09-03-2009 01:05 PM

I bit of good news. I have been testing and the alarms still work. Also, after a few hours in the dock the BB status shows 100% battery so it appears to be charging. I tested with a few auto-update apps running in the background. Let's hope th eofficial is fixed. Meanwhile, I just have to get used to seeing an error message instead of my LCD clock in my bedside pod.

Rizzo 09-04-2009 12:57 PM

Wirelessly posted

I get the same message but the phone is still charging in the cradle.

Inphektion 09-04-2009 07:48 PM

yea if this build had the charging dock issues fixed I'd be completely happy with it.

Caspan 09-24-2009 07:43 AM

I started having the same issue last night in my charging pod. I know I am using the standard 500 Ma charger. Is anyone using anything higher like a 700 Ma or higher. Would like to know if it does not matter how many Amps you have.

nick.dollimount 09-24-2009 11:46 AM

I just got a pod about 25 minutes ago, with OS 5, got that message when in bedside mode. When I switch to show clock only, it pops up the first time, I dismiss it with the back button. Take the Bold off the pod and replace it on and it doesn't come up again. Unless I set it to go to bedside mode again. But yes, it still charges. Doesn't show the lightning bold on the batter while it's on but checking the status and my batter went up 20% in 20 minutes.

nick.dollimount 09-24-2009 12:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My Bold is unbranded so I get the Engineering screens.

Here is what I found that shows the exact same results when it's plugged directly in and when it's on the charging pod. When no power is going to it, it shows "0".

Caspan 09-24-2009 12:51 PM

Yeah so the charge is fine so it must be a bug in the current code that gives a false positive.

gberneck 09-24-2009 02:22 PM

This is all great info. THX for the follow up but I think now that ATT has re-released the official version of 4.6 I tihnk I am downgrading. I am ahving growing issues like rebooting, no voicemail notification, and volume issues. I am REALLY gonna miss the threaded SMS. It was almost enough to keep me on 5.0.

Caspan 09-24-2009 02:31 PM

:)...

alslsb 09-24-2009 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremyckitching (Post 1464677)

Same thing here. Major reason why I went back to 4.6.1.250 for the 8900