BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General PlayBook Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   WI FI question (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=251812)

alandry 08-01-2011 07:57 AM

WI FI question

It probably has something to do with the inbuilt hardware but I get much better reception from WiFi on my laptop than my playbook. If I browse 10 web pages with my playbook i know i will error out- yet my laptop goes all day from the exact same location. Are there any playbook settings?

Thanks

hrbuckley 08-01-2011 10:42 AM

Re: WI FI question

No, but the antenna seems to be in the top left corner. If you hold the device by that corner some signals will drop out.

lesarmitage 08-01-2011 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alandry (Post 1735669)
It probably has something to do with the inbuilt hardware but I get much better reception from WiFi on my laptop than my playbook. If I browse 10 web pages with my playbook i know i will error out- yet my laptop goes all day from the exact same location. Are there any playbook settings?

Thanks

10 pages open you'll find it's memory that may be maxing out and that the problem and not WiFi...

Soapm 08-02-2011 12:46 AM

So what would you do to fix it? That would suck having a 10 page limit.

hrbuckley 08-02-2011 10:57 AM

I don't think that is the limit. I just opened 12 tabs with different pages on them and still have 260MB free memory. Of course if you are running very intensive flash on every page then maybe. But 12 tabs on a tablet is not bad, and I just got bored, didn't run into a limit.

alandry 08-03-2011 07:31 AM

I may have mis-spoke. After browsing 10-12 individual pages I will get a wifi error and now with the "airplane" mode i can see on the main page that my wifi is greyed out-it was green on the opening of the device.

hrbuckley 08-03-2011 12:45 PM

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Does that airplane mode turn on by itself after 10 or 12 pages? If you're selected airplane mode, doing so will turn off the Wi-Fi.

igoping 08-03-2011 03:02 PM

I am suffering from the same affliction, the Wi-Fi reception is weak but even if I go to a stronger area, I find after a few pages (10+ would be a good estimate), the coverage drops or the Browser hangs. This is the main frustration I have on this device.

igoping 08-17-2011 08:30 AM

Just to add some more details to what ails me - I go to the main desktop and I see the Wi-Fi go grey, then green (I am in range). I check the logs and see that the Wi-Fi seems to disconnect and reconnect every minute or so. Do I take it back to Staples or do I have to navigate RIM customer service?

ZombieBerry 08-17-2011 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by igoping (Post 1738681)
Just to add some more details to what ails me - I go to the main desktop and I see the Wi-Fi go grey, then green (I am in range). I check the logs and see that the Wi-Fi seems to disconnect and reconnect every minute or so. Do I take it back to Staples or do I have to navigate RIM customer service?

I would try bringing it back to where you purchased it. If that is not an option, I would contact RIM customer Support.

Craw 11-02-2011 03:09 PM

i have both an ipad and playbook and find that the playbook does notplay nearly as well as the ipad with thevarious wifis out there. There are a couple places i visit where the playbook just will not negotiate and connect, ipad no issue. in others both connect no issue. playbook can see a good signal, would suggest that software for wifi securities is not as robust. Others have this issue?