BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   PIN to PIN delivery flakiness and stolen Curve :( (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=182610)

sorka 03-23-2009 04:02 PM

PIN to PIN delivery flakiness and stolen Curve :(

We have two Curve 8330s on Verizon. Well, actually, we have just one Curve now as my wife's was stolen a few days ago.

The problem is that if I send a PIN message to her Curve and it is off, the message sits there waiting to be delivered. If the Curve is off or out of range for a short period of time, like say 5 minutes or so, the message is eventually delivered when it goes back into range or turned back on.

However, if the phone is off for longer than that, any messages that got queued up, stay queued up forever even after the phone is turned back on. I can send new messages when the phone is on and they go through immediately, but the previously sent ones stay undelivered and a D never shows up next to them.

10 years ago, when we got our first RIM 950 pagers, this is the one feature that was really cool. If a message couldn't be delivered because the pager was out of range, once it got back into range, it would be delivered even if it was weeks later.

Additionally, on those old pagers, you could get an audible notifcation of delivery and read status's as well as delivery and read times.

The current PIN messaging doesn't do any of that. You only get time sent, D, and R(but not times or sounds).

Are there any solutions to any of these issues? The PIN to PIN delivery failure is mind boggling as that is THE defining feature of PIN mesaging.

My wife's phone was stolen. I'm hoping the thief is stupid enough to try and use it. That's why I haven't shut it down. I did disable international calling and verizon app downloads. I have unlimited messaging and data so the only realy thing I'm on the hook for is peak time usage. I'm willing to take the risk that the thief will call a non disposable phone or the possibility that they will sell the phone to someone who doesn't know it's stolen. If the thief believes the phone will be deactivated, they may just simply try to sell it to someone. If it's still activated I might get through to someone who would be willing to return it.

If they intend to use it for personal reasons and start calling real phone numbers, I WILL track them down.

It was stolen at an IHop. She left it on the table. She was one of the last ones out. When she realized that she'd left it behind a few minutes later, she went back in to get it but the table was cleared off. She had already gotten the spare phone out of the car, the one we use for GPS tracking, before going back in. When they claimed they didn't have it, she called her number but it went right to voice mail. I sent to some pings to it but they didn't go through so the phone had already been turned off.

Over the last few days, it has been on briefly a few times. Usually, one of my last PIN messages suddenly shows a D on it and and I pick up the phone and start calling it over and over. Usually within a few minutes it starts going to voicemail on the first ring instead of after 10 rings.

At this point, I thought there was a chance that the phone might be in a safe or something making reception flaky.

But then today, it called a phone number. Unfortunately, it was a business who's primary phone line appears to be hooked up to the fax machine. I found the business through a reverse phone number lookup to see if they had another phone number but the number called is the one that is listed as the only number.

The call was less than a minute.

Dubdub 03-23-2009 05:57 PM

Did you report it to your carrier as stolen? You are liable for ALL charges up until it is reported.

dc/dc 03-23-2009 05:57 PM

Why haven't you suspended service on the line?!?

That seems like a no brainer to me.

skyrider007 03-23-2009 06:46 PM

Wirelessly posted (9000 (Bold))

I would report the phone as stolen to your carrier and the police. There's not much point wasting your time and energy into trying to catch this thief or get your phone back. Do you have insurance? Consider it a lost and just get a new phone and move on I suggest.

sorka 03-23-2009 07:03 PM

Anyone have any input on the question I asked? Status sounds and status times? Delivery failure when target BB is turned back on? Thanks.

dc/dc 03-23-2009 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sorka (Post 1330346)
Anyone have any input on the question I asked? Status sounds and status times? Delivery failure when target BB is turned back on? Thanks.

Your question has been answered 3 times.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubdub (Post 1330278)
Did you report it to your carrier as stolen? You are liable for ALL charges up until it is reported.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc/dc (Post 1330279)
Why haven't you suspended service on the line?!?

That seems like a no brainer to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyrider007 (Post 1330328)
Wirelessly posted (9000 (Bold))

I would report the phone as stolen to your carrier and the police. There's not much point wasting your time and energy into trying to catch this thief or get your phone back. Do you have insurance? Consider it a lost and just get a new phone and move on I suggest.

sorka 03-23-2009 07:43 PM

Here is my original post with the description of the problem and my questions. I've edited out the part about the stolen phone as that wasn't part of the question.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sorka (Post 1330186)
The problem is that if I send a PIN message to her Curve and it is off, the message sits there waiting to be delivered. If the Curve is off or out of range for a short period of time, like say 5 minutes or so, the message is eventually delivered when it goes back into range or turned back on.

However, if the phone is off for longer than that, any messages that got queued up, stay queued up forever even after the phone is turned back on. I can send new messages when the phone is on and they go through immediately, but the previously sent ones stay undelivered and a D never shows up next to them.

10 years ago, when we got our first RIM 950 pagers, this is the one feature that was really cool. If a message couldn't be delivered because the pager was out of range, once it got back into range, it would be delivered even if it was weeks later.

Additionally, on those old pagers, you could get an audible notifcation of delivery and read status's as well as delivery and read times.

The current PIN messaging doesn't do any of that. You only get time sent, D, and R(but not times or sounds).

Are there any solutions to any of these issues? The PIN to PIN delivery failure is mind boggling as that is THE defining feature of PIN mesaging.

sorka 04-02-2009 10:46 PM

Stolen phone recovered....

We went back into IHop on a night that the same waitress had served her was working and tracked her down. I wanted to ask the waitress in person rather than continuing to talk to the same guy who answered each time I'd called and left a message inquiring about the phone.

The waitress recalled finding the phone, a pink Curve, and turning it into the host which so as it turns out was the same and only guy who I'd talked to when calling the IHop.

He denied having been given the phone by the waitress. They basically started calling each other liers and the night manager had to stop. She claimed that she'd given it to him right in front of a specific security camera and all they had to do was check the tape.

We left it at that and left. The night manager, told me to give her a few days to look through the video.

I called several days later and she said there had been a misunderstanding. She said that the waitress had given her the phone, not the host and she'd put it in a drawer and doesn't know what happened to it after that. But there was no reason to check the video since she'd been the the waitress had given the phone to.

It's pretty obvious that the female night manager was trying to take blame off the guy who'd actually stolen it by discrediting the waitress and setting the situation up where anyone could have taken it afterwards from some drawer.

Very frustrating.

In the meantime, I kept an eye out on SMS message delivery. Every few days the phone would go on SMS messages would flood in.

Then yesterday morning I got a call from my wife's phone from some girl who claimed to have bought it off of some gangster for $25. She'd read the messages about my wife's sister going through chemo and needed the phone to coordinate appointments and transportation.

She wanted to arrange to return it.

We met her tonight at a Burger King and got the phone back. Gave her the $25. Tried to give her $50 but she refused which is odd because she really really looked she could use the money. My wife later said she had a really guilty look and suspected that she had been given the phone by the thief and that it was probably someone she knew.

She made no other phone calls on the phone except to my phone. The only call before calling me was 2 phone calls, one to 411 and one to a number that didn't provide any clues.

Phone appears to be in perfect shape. Still has the seideo case on it. Surpised that wasn't ripped off in an attempt to see if this was a sim card phone.

If I had turned it off right after it was stolen, we'd have never gotten it back.

sorka 04-02-2009 10:48 PM

We recovered the phone tonight. I posted about it in another thread and wanted to include a link to this thread but the forum won't let me do it until I have 10 posts :(

sorka 04-02-2009 10:49 PM

BTW, tried to include the link to the previous thread about the phone being stolen but the forum won't allow links, even to it's own threads until the user has 10 posts.

JSanders 04-02-2009 10:59 PM

ah well, all's that ends well.

**the two threads merged back to one**

dc/dc 04-03-2009 09:49 AM

Reminds me of the old stolensidekick.com saga...