BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   WiFi HotZone (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   BB8820 can not access Internet via Wifi (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=151126)

menb 09-20-2008 11:37 PM

BB8820 can not access Internet via Wifi

Few days ago, I upgraded my BB8820 from ROM4.2 to ROM4.5, Wifi browser changed to Hotspots Browser. I could access Internet over Wifi at home, but in company, im not. Before i could use wifi browser access Internet(ie, access google), and it will redirect a access granted page of my company, select the' i accept', then the bb could access Internet really. But now it Hotspot browser could not, and always 'requesting...',finally a dialoge message shows 'Unable to access to the Internet, please try again'. I tried and change the browser setup, but no value. So pray you to help!

thanks a lot!

menb 09-20-2008 11:45 PM

i tried 'opera mini' under ROM4.2 , it also could not be redirected to the 'Access Grant Page' and not access internet directly.
So i think if the Hotspots brower support the Redirect technology and related. Anyway, how could i do?

monkeypaw 09-21-2008 06:00 AM

There are 2 places where you can change the browser settings. The first is Options > Advanced Options > Browser.

The second spot it from the browser BB/Options Key > Options > Browser Configuration.

Try changing both places.

negrobizzle 09-23-2008 10:44 PM

same problem

i am having the same problem...
i am trying to use the browser with the mobile network off
It says it has a wifi connection.
I checked both settings and I have hotspot browser set in both places.

However still I get the error message "The radio on the device is off...the browser cannot retrieve any web pages."

anyone have any suggestions? seems like the wifi connection is pretty useless....

negrobizzle 09-23-2008 10:51 PM

another question, when you have the internet browser set, will the phone automatically use a wifi connection if it detects one? similarly, when you have hotspot browser set and there is not current wifi connection, will the phone automatically use "internet browser" to access the internet over your carrier's network?

pretty much I want to know if i have to keep switching between the two depending on my connection status

menb 09-28-2008 05:15 AM

Problem update!
Be luckily, i loaded the 'grant page' successfully once time,and i could access internernet over wifi. But after a while, i didnot use the internet and no data tranfered, the wifi would disconnect, so i want use it again, the 'grant page' must be reloaded. But the page is not completely, and i can not get the 'agree' button. i refresh again and again, maybe i can get the page entirely. So i think wether the browser data cache is small or not? or any else?

nachiket_d83 10-15-2008 09:48 AM

WiFi without Data Plan on AT&T

You can use WiFi service without Data Plan subscription when subscribed to AT&T phone service. You can find more information about setting up WiFi without being charged for Data at this link:
h t t p : / / w w w. e h o w . c o m/ how_4537240_using-wifi-data-plan-t.html

***SORRY ABOUT THE SPACES IN THE LINK. THIS FORUM WONT ALLOW ME TO POST LINKS BECAUSE I AM NEW USER. BUT I HAVE VALUABLE INFORMATION ON THIS LINK FOR YOU.

I have been using my 8820 for 3 months and I am not being charged for any Data usage. I use WiFi almost every day.