BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Yahoo Messenger Log-in Difficulties on Blackberry Bold 9700 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=228598)

evarest 06-11-2010 03:41 AM

Yahoo Messenger Log-in Difficulties on Blackberry Bold 9700

Good day all,

I recently bought a Bold 9700 (after using a 9000 for over a year until last week). However, after successfully downloading and installing Yahoo messenger, I have been unable to log into the service with the following message appearing each time I try "Service not enabled for this handheld".

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Yahoo messenger but it still gives me the same message. I did not have this issue when I was using the 9000 and I am able to successfully log-in on my pc.

Any suggestions on how I can overcome this issue?

Obim

P/S: I live in Nigeria and my carrier is Globacom (if this information helps)

devnull 06-11-2010 06:20 AM

Did you change your BIS account to match your new PIN & IMEI for the 9700?

When you get a new BB, you must change these to make the data plan work. Either login to your BIS account or call your carrier.

evarest 06-11-2010 07:48 AM

Many thanks for your response devnull. Pardon my ignorance but what is a BIS account and how do I log into it?

When I first bought my 9000, I didn't need to do the above but at this point I'm so frustrated I'm willing to try anything.

Help a brother out will ya?

Cheers

devnull 06-11-2010 08:28 AM

BIS = Blackberry data plan. Although, I have to admit to some assumptions.

- yahoo messenger requires a Blackberry data plan. Since I have never used this app, I can only assume it needs such. Most BB applications require this.
- you have a Blackberry data plan.

Typically your carrier will provide a "BIS" website to login and make changes. If not you can call them.

Now, having said all that, if Yahoo messenger does not require a data plan, everything I just said is inaccurate. If so, please forgive and hopefully others will pipe up and correct me if i'm wrong.

evarest 06-12-2010 04:14 PM

Many thanks. I'll give it a shot

SteveO86 06-12-2010 04:41 PM

Also make sure you have a BlackBerry Data plan, and that your carrier has you provisioned for one.

evarest 06-14-2010 09:25 AM

Hi Steve, my line was/is configured for a BlackBerry data plan as I used it successfully with my last BlackBerry (without even having to check the BIS). It is looking more likely that the problem I am facing might be a factory defect because even my carrier are stumped for suggestions

SteveO86 06-14-2010 11:34 AM

Can you browse the internet from your phone just fine, along with Email and everything?

Have you also done a battery pull, resending services books? Possibly even reinstalling the Yahoo Messenger App.

Abims 09-11-2010 08:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I used to have this issue too, until a friend gave me a service book(attached) that has yahoo messenger. I uploaded (restored) the service book through the blackberry desktop manager. Now I can chat on yahoo messenger

hassn 09-12-2010 01:49 PM

hi
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

tsac 09-12-2010 05:31 PM

Not for nothing but this looks like theft of service. The service books are supposed to be downloaded by the carrier or re-installed by the DM after upgrade. RIM shows absolutely nothing on using someone elsexxx8217;s files to bypass the Service book download.

Bravo 2-6 09-12-2010 08:01 PM

Recommend you use Trillian (Paid app in BB AppWorld) or Nimbuzz which is a pretty good alternative, and its free to :).
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile