BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General Legacy Device Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   8700c's USB connection type, and internet sharing. (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=217104)

lockexxv 01-18-2010 11:41 AM

8700c's USB connection type, and internet sharing.

Hello, I'm new here as I have started using my BlackBerry 8700c again.

I recently moved out into the country where, even though there's a small country school with a DSL shack less than 2 miles from me, the phone company seems to think I'm out of range (ie, they're too lazy to check) for DSL so I am forced to use the unlimited data + tethering plan via ATT, the only carrier with good signal. The good news is I get nearly perfect service out here so I can get 300-500ms ping and 20-25kb/s download (perfect for World of Warcraft), but the bad news is that it's only 2G EDGE and there's no 3G.

My wife isn't computer illiterate by any means, but it sure is a pain for her to have to kick me off my computer to use the net for a few seconds to check e-mail, and it's a hassle for her to have to take the wires and install the programs so that she can use the internet on her laptop.

I have a Netgear wireless router, and I heard there were ways to run a wireless network through a bit of finangling even if it was USB/phone tethering, but I also heard there was a way to simply make the BlackBerry broadcast a wireless signal so my wife's laptop would pick it up. This would be ideal.

So, is any of this possible? Please and thanks!

I had another question that kept me on the phone with ATT and RIM tech support for over 4 hours last week, as well. So annoying, it can't be that hard to answer, so I bet one of you can help. Is this phone capable of USB 2.0 transfer speeds or not? My computer is totally USB 2.0, but in the device manager it lists this device as running in 1.1 (non enhanced USB) mode. I do recall hearing and seeing things that said that the BlackBerry 8700c was 2.0, though (I think my box for the phone even said it). Is there something wrong? Or does it really only run in 1.1 but it can simply connect to a 2.0 port?

Thanks again!

lockexxv 01-27-2010 07:24 PM

Please, I've been to several other forums and no answer yet. Surely I'm not alone in this question.

Dubdub 01-27-2010 07:47 PM

The 8700 does not have wireless capability. And those that do have WiFi cannot be used as a wireless access point or router.

Sounds to me like you need a Verizon or Sprint MiFi.

tsac 01-31-2010 11:49 AM

Ok , so the 8700 is USB 1.1 according to RIM. 1.1 exceeds the speeds on either the DSL or Cell speed so that should not be an issue. The pc will adjust USB speed to the device connected
As for the DSL connection. The central office DSLAM ( the box that sends DSL) has a wire limit of 15k feet so you may be out of range. Some companies are installing remote equipment to reach more customers. This may not be the case in your area.
If you can use the BB to access the internet with your PC then you may be able to connect a wireless router to the Pc and re broadcast the signal to another pc and xxx8220; sharexxx8221; the connection. IT will require you to leave your PC on and connected to the 8700 but unless as DubDub suggested you go to another carrier and equipment there is not much else. Go to Microsoft for sharing instructions.
I would call the phone company again and this time call someone higher up like the president and see if your really out of range. Believe it or not that does work

BellVictim 02-06-2010 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockexxv (Post 1549338)
I have a Netgear wireless router, and [B]I heard there were ways to run a wireless network through a bit of finangling even if it was USB/phone tethering,

I think something like that /could/ be done, as follows:
- BB 8700 is connected to some PC via USB cord
- that PC has DM or at least RIM Modem Device Driver installed
- so that PC can connect to net via this BB tether
- on that PC, in networking, create a "bridge" between the BB device and the ethernet port on that PC (not sure if this can be done tho)
- that PC can now NO longer connect via direct USB tether...
- connect cat5 cable from PC ethernet port to WAN port on Netgear wifi router
- netgear can maybe now establish connection to internet over this WAN-PC-BB link?
- so that PC can now connect to net via Wifi connection to netgear
- so can other PC's

Not certain about this but if you have the time & gear worth a try and you'll probably learn something.

Dubdub 02-06-2010 09:39 AM

Not possible AFAIK. Even if it was, it would be an extremely cumbersome and poor woork around.

One other option is to get satellite TV and their Internet option.