BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   RIM Software (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Remove IT Policy (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=67224)

RWM 07-14-2007 10:34 AM

Thanks, John. I hate to waste space with just a thank you, but you should know how much your efforts are helping the little people out here. Thanks again.

John Clark 07-14-2007 02:07 PM

Thanks! I didn't come up with this fix, however....I only reworded and posted here for everyone's convenience. I did create the policy.bin that is linked as people were unsure of the one posted on the internet. It has helped many many people, though.

cwonsey 07-21-2007 12:24 PM

No Wipe Option - Newest O/S

I do not have the option to Wipe in my security settings and I have upgraded to the latest Roger's O/S. Is it possible that the Wipe option is disabled by the policy on the device? If so, is there a way around this or am I SOL without finding a BES server?

smoosa 07-30-2007 07:59 PM

hey guys great article, but I am one of those unfortunates not to be able to have this thing work. I have done step by step and I still have not been able to remove the IT policy. I have a 7290 from Rogers. Upon pointing the key to the policy it still will not allow me to disable the firewall. There are options on how to reset the settings/save/cancel and that's it. The policy that was on here makes me change passwords on the blackberry every 30 days. I cannot also use google maps because of the firewall. I have the latest desktop manager software 4.2.2, and the latest 4.0 handheld code. I did try a j cmd to wipe the device first and then javaloader to load the software direct out of the box no luck. Then I followed the article step by step and still no luck :(, any other suggestions?

FourPetesake 08-01-2007 02:29 PM

RIM Support said:

I EBay'd a 7250 the other day which came with an ITPolicy on it. I was unable to send SMS, or download any applications from the web. Not knowing what the problem was I spent time on the phone with Verizon and RIM trying to get to the bottom of this. Then I found this thread and found it interesting. RIM said they would get back to me in 24 hours with a solution. I didn't want to go home and follow the procedure listed in this thread because the profile was not going to be completely removed. Well wouldn't you know, RIM sent me the identical procedure and an enclosed "profile.bin" and commented:

"Although an IT Policy cannot be removed from a BlackBerry, we can overwrite it with a less restrictive one. This will require that the handheld be wiped of all data, so please ensure that your handheld is backed up prior to starting."

There you have it, from the horses mouth.

-Four

John Clark 08-01-2007 07:45 PM

What is the "profile.bin" used for? Are you referring to policy.bin?

delyon 08-11-2007 01:30 PM

Ok maybe you can help me John. I bought a used 8300 Curve and I have an IT policy on it. I am also a mac user, so this will be a bit different.

I had the same issue with the security password enabled. I have an IT policy that says IT Policy Name: Password Policy (it also says last updated Jun 27,2007 12:41PM)

Now I have a unique problem that I have not seen here. When I try to sync it with my mac software the software asks for password. When I type in the password it doesnt accept it as being correct. And i can see this to be true when I check the blackberry it shows incorrect tries.

I use a program called Parallels Desktop to run windows Vista and I downloaded your post and followed the instructions to a T. When i try to activate the phone with the desktop manager it too asks for a password. I have tried in vain to get beyond this step. I have tried 4 zeros, 5 zeros, 1234. I have tried resetting the password on the phone, all to no luck.

Do you know of anyway around this? I think all that I need to do is validate the phone and then I can change the password to disabled and I should be ok.

Appreciate any help.

attlee 09-19-2007 01:49 AM

cant work

thanks your information regarding the removal of IT Policy, after following the procedure that you provided, I still cant remove the IT Policy of my 8707G, can let me know what has happened or in fact i cant apply the procedure for this model ? thanks:cry:

newbie100 09-19-2007 03:02 AM

Ok, I have tried this, and it works for me :-

Create an online IMAP account if you dont have one.
Download and Install Free BES for MDS Trial version on WinXP pro.
Configure the BES server to use the IMAP server as part of the install.

Now, use the BES server to generate a password for your new device, and
then on the device, enter the IMAP4 email address and password.

This will associate your device with your very own 120 day trial BES server.
You can then reset all restrictive IT policies.

You need to wipe your handheld clean in order to associate with a new BES server.

It should still work after you uninstall the BES server.

Have not tried to disassociate the user from the BES server, but may do that before my 120 trial runs out to see what happens (i.e if it removes the IT policy).

John Clark 09-19-2007 09:33 AM

The policy.bin posted above came from BES express. The process here should give you the same policy without the need to install BES express or trial.

Mark Rejhon 09-19-2007 11:06 AM

I still have some other BlackBerries that do not come with Keystroke Injection support. These IT Policies do squat about that. And I'm told even downloading the BES Trial wouldn't help. (Unless the newer version fixes that yet?)

Anybody come up with a solution to re-enabling Keystroke Injection on BlackBerry devices, yet? I'd love to know. That'd finally permit Bluetooth keyboards to work on those BlackBerries again.

John Clark 09-19-2007 11:26 AM

Nothing that I know of Mark, short of adding it back to a BES that will push new application permission defaults back to the device. The keystroke injection is not included in the "IT policy." It's another control on the BES that disables it. When I added my Freedom keyboard the BES Admin had to put me into another application permission group (my terminolgoy may be off here as it was quite a while back.) I can use keystroke injection with that particular driver/app only. I can likely connect any BB to my account on BES and get that same policy pushed automatically. It would open up the keystroke injection for that particular driver.

Edit: He did say that there was a way to open up keystroke injection for anything but that he didn't want to do that. There are only two things our BES has locked. Keystroke injection and browser filters. Other than that they put no restrictive policy on our devices.

Mark Rejhon 09-20-2007 04:50 PM

I guess Keystroke Injection is highly secured, because of the dangers it poses: It can be used to secretly remotely access a BlackBerry, something you don't want hackers to do...

dotcalm1 09-21-2007 06:12 PM

THanks!

It worked! Thank you

micmac 09-22-2007 08:09 AM

hi i have 8700v from vodafone i cannot install any appz because this policy
i followed all steps to remove it policy but without succes

i can remove the it policy in 8700v?????

John Clark 09-22-2007 08:11 AM

The policy can be removed on the 8700v. You must be doing something wrong somewhere in the process.

micmac 09-22-2007 08:19 AM

hi

no man, all steps is good
1- i putted policy.bin in C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry
2- i Wiped your Blackberry
3- i Closed the Desktop Manager
4- i do it this :
HKEY_Current_Users\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\PolicyManager

Right-Click the Policy Manager Folder and select New/String Value. Name the value Path. Now, Double-Click the Path Subkey and set Value Data to:

C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\policy.bin

5- Open the Desktop Manager.

6- Connect the Device.

i do it all this

what's wrong ???

bb8700v v4.2.1.101 (plate-forme 2.3.0.81)

micmac 09-22-2007 08:32 AM

hi

when i wipe my device always he need new password, i enter the new but i cannot disable it

plz i need ur help

micmac 09-22-2007 08:34 AM

and i c always this error when i want to install appz

A fatal error has occurred while updating your device's software. Please try again.

The following modules are not permitted to be loaded by your administrator:

xplayer.cod
xplayer_th_loader.cod
xplayer_theme_0.cod
xplayer_theme_1.cod
xfile.cod

dregnery 09-24-2007 07:59 PM

Not going to use a BES

I am not attached to a BES and will not use a BES. I will use the Desktop Redirect Connection, assuming I can remove the previous owners IT Policy.

dregnery 09-24-2007 08:49 PM

Can't Open policy.bin

In Step 2

I have downloaded the file policy.bin and downloaded it but I cannot open the file. What program do I use to open the file so I can save it?

John Clark 09-24-2007 10:47 PM

Just follow the instructions in the first post of this thread exactly. Don't forget to backup the device first. You don't need to "open" the policy.bin. It just has to be placed in the correct directory. Then you edit the windows registry as outlined. Just follow those instructions.

Then once the policy is wiped, simply restore the data to the device. You can even restore the backup to the new device and not bother with the switch device wizard.

ExtMtnBkr 09-25-2007 10:32 PM

I have a question. I just purchased a pearl from a guy on craigslist. It had an it policy on it from his company. I'm going to hook it up to a BES at my firm, but his policy has a password with a max timeout of 20 mins. My firm's BES has no p/w requirement. When I'm hooked up to my BES will it automatically overwrite the old IT policy or should I follow the OP's original instructions just to be sure that the more restrictive policy is wiped from the device?

Thanks

John Clark 09-25-2007 10:36 PM

I believe it will overwrite the existing policy. However, it doesn't take but a few minutes to do the policy removal in this thread. Then you won't have to wipe the device after adding to the new BES.

ExtMtnBkr 09-25-2007 11:02 PM

Good point - I'd rather be prudent and remove the policy than need to bother my IT staff to reactivate my bb if it doesn't remove this pesky password requirement.

Thanks

rby1 10-21-2007 06:38 PM

remove policy.bin making me crazy

Hello,

First post here. I buy quite a few Blackberry's from eBay and many come with IT policy. Things like password must contain a letter and a number, 911 only. I have seen the 7 step instructions to remove this and tried 999 times and it just doesn't work.

For starters, there is no registry key

HKEY_CURRENT_USERS

Mine (and 3 or 4 other computers I have tried) only have

HKEY_CURRENT_USER

Also at what point do you plug the blackberry in. If there is an it policy demanding a password and you wipe it, then follow the last step which simply reads 'connect the device' - does one do this after entering the new password or before or when the blackberry is on or off?

Any advice out there. I have about 20 Blackberry 7290 with stupid 911 only policy or password must be qwerty1@A and I am ready to play hockey with them

ChesterJT 10-22-2007 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rby1 (Post 711730)
Hello,
For starters, there is no registry key

HKEY_CURRENT_USERS

Mine (and 3 or 4 other computers I have tried) only have

HKEY_CURRENT_USER

Did you look for the appropriate reg entry in that folder? Or just assume that it was the wrong one and not look?

BurningBerry 10-22-2007 05:20 AM

great job (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

rby1 10-22-2007 02:46 PM

Thanks for the nice response

Of course I looked and of course there is the same set but apparently you never used a computer before because

c:\directory1\hhh\ppp

is different then

c:\directory\hhh\ppp

so if it MUST be in HKEY_CURRENT_USERS\.... as per the instructions widely available

then it only makes sense it will not work if I set the parameters in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\......

Could this be the problem????

marekcarey 10-24-2007 03:17 AM

i have there only "current_user" too, and not "current_users". so thats why i think i cant remove that IT policy:((((
it does look like that:
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/6259/scr7847alw3.jpg

sekundi 10-28-2007 10:06 AM

Querry

While trying to bypass the IT policy. i been following the instructions posted however when i get to this point.. HKEY_Current_Users\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\PolicyManager i dont see policy manager i only see manager. would this make a big difference and if so what would i need to do to fix it.

John Clark 10-28-2007 05:04 PM

You are attempting to "bypass" your IT policy? If you are still connected to the BES that installed the policy it will be pushed right back when you reconnect.

If you don't see the proper registry key then you may not have everything installed correctly. Make sure Desktop Manager is installed to the PC.

alexgharbi 10-30-2007 04:07 PM

thanks

thank u so much is working like a charm

mat123 10-30-2007 10:18 PM

So I have a week old privately purchased 8830. I (stupidly?) asked about getting my work mail on my device. "Sure, no problem!" they said. So now I can get my corporate email, but now I have all these restrictions.

Is there no way to "undo" the BES link to my company without doing the tricks described above? Even if I ask the IT department to free my phone? Can my company "restore" my phone to "new" mode, or at least non-BES mode?

I feel like my company has more control over my device than I do -- permanantly! I feel like I ruined my brand new blackberry... :cry:

John Clark 10-30-2007 11:37 PM

You can get rid of most of the policy restrictions on your device with this method. The only thing this won't do is unlock any firewall restrictions placed on the device. Usually keystroke injection and browser filters are set to deny and can't be changed (you could have more.) Other than those all policies restrictions will be opened up.

mat123 10-31-2007 07:46 AM

Cool -- But I was wondering if my corp BES admin should be able to remove all restrictions and then "free" my phone or do I HAVE to do the "IT Removal" procedures you provided above?

Thanks again!

CanuckBB 10-31-2007 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mat123 (Post 722739)
Cool -- But I was wondering if my corp BES admin should be able to remove all restrictions and then "free" my phone or do I HAVE to do the "IT Removal" procedures you provided above?

Thanks again!

As John mentioned, having IT push down the default policy will remove most restrictions, but not all.

mat123 11-01-2007 04:26 PM

Ok, IT Dept says they unlinked me from the BES. All security settings seem to be editable (including keystroke injection). I no longer can send company email though it is still an option when I compose (it simply doesn't get sent).

Should I still do the "Remove IT Policy" procedure to ensure they don't re-link my BB without me knowing or is what they did good enough? Or would I have to go through the whole "Enterprise Activation" process for them to regain control?

Thanks!!

John Clark 11-01-2007 04:30 PM

NO! Don't do the Remove IT Policy procedure. If you can edit everything including keystroke injection you are good to go.

To get rid of your BES mail just go to Options >Advanced Options >Service Books and delete any service books that start with "Desktop." That will get rid of everything.

mat123 11-01-2007 04:38 PM

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark
NO! Don't do the Remove IT Policy procedure. If you can edit everything including keystroke injection you are good to go.

To get rid of your BES mail just go to Options >Advanced Options >Service Books and delete any service books that start with "Desktop." That will get rid of everything.

Awesome! Thanks!

bitl3ss 11-02-2007 06:15 PM

FYI the policy.bin that is linked here doesn't allow splitpipeconnections, I ended up downloading itpolicy.exe from rim (found it in besx_upgrader_4.1.4.exe under service packs) and created my own bin.

I also spoke to two dif RIM(job) support people about getting the firewall disabled on my 2+ week old 8320 and they basically told me tough sh!t. This is my first/last bb, under powered and over priced and they care not for the consumer at all. To bad overall it's not bad.

John Clark 11-02-2007 06:19 PM

Everything available to enable was enabled in that policy.bin, including split pipe (attempt to access inside and outside firewall) because many have told me that this was fixed with this .bin.

As far as firewalls, there is no way to fix this except for having the BES push out a blank, no restrictions, policy. It's been posted here that that will allow you to open up the firewall.

bitl3ss 11-02-2007 09:38 PM

my mistake I got it from another link in the forum. bin in ? is here Index of /dumpster/blackberry/files
he posts the inf which shows it disabled.

sucks being a newb, knowing what I know now I would still roll my own.

John Clark 11-02-2007 09:47 PM

Mine is good. Many here have used it and had good results. They're posted in this thread and others, as well. Doing your own is great if you know how but there is no danger with mine.

jibi 11-03-2007 11:06 AM

<thread soon to be replaced>

:)

John Clark 11-03-2007 11:12 AM

Will be a while yet, though.

jibi 11-03-2007 11:33 AM

Yeah, but at least there will be an option for some people (and hopefully all people going forward). I'm doing some full testing right now. Let's just say that it wasn't as clean as I thought ...LOL! I'll explain in private.

jibi 11-03-2007 01:25 PM

Here we go:

BlackBerry: Removal of IT Policy now available * | The Boy Genius Report

:)

John Clark 11-03-2007 02:30 PM

Reminder: This is NOT a way to get around YOUR company's IT Policy. They have placed the restrictions there for a reason. You risk your job if you attempt this. Even if you do this when you reconnect to the BES the policy will be pushed back to the device anyway. You cannot circumvent your company's policy. The BB is designed to prevent this.

This is for BB's that are no longer connected to a BES and an individual user wants to regain usability of the BB.

jibi 11-03-2007 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 726851)
Reminder: This is NOT a way to get around YOUR company's IT Policy. They have placed the restrictions there for a reason. You risk your job if you attempt this. Even if you do this when you reconnect to the BES the policy will be pushed back to the device anyway. You cannot circumvent your company's policy. The BB is designed to prevent this.

This is for BB's that are no longer connected to a BES and an individual user wants to regain usability of the BB.

For the new utility, it appears a side effect happened in removing the policy from the device... since it's no longer being overwritten by another blank policy (policy.bin method), it can't block the policy from the BES when reactivated. The policy is reapplied from the BES and the same restrictions will be put back on the device. LOL! Didn't see that one coming, but it makes perfect sense now that you think about it. :) So yeah, this will only be a waste of your time if you are using it to bypass your corporate BES restrictions, unless you simply don't want to be on the BES any longer. This is only useful for post-BES usage or reselling your device.

errorhelp 11-08-2007 12:35 PM

so I have tried this multiple times with my Nextel bb 7520's i bought off ebay that came with IT policies. I think i am not understanding step 7:
"Connect the Device.
Verification
Once complete, the Options/Security screen on your Blackberry should not contain references to an IT Policy"
Please explain the actual steps of what verification means. when I conect the device it asks me for the pw. should i type it in? do i do a full wipeout at this point? Any help would be appreciated. Those who have been successful please help me out. errorhelp at gmail dot com

Thank You

Also, im using BlackBerry Desktop Software v4.1.0.13 (the newest version on the nextel website) Do I need to use 4.2 from the bb website?

riclesb 11-09-2007 12:13 AM

ugg !!! used this method to fix an old 8700 (bes) device, it worked great no problems. But i forgot to reedit registry when finished and when i did an update for my new 8310 (BIS) it installed blank policy.bin. now my firewall on new 8310 is locked. cant get bbsmart email, or streaming video blueapple.mobi to work browser functions denied. am i screwed? from what im reading i wont be able to remove this now, right? after feeling so good getting the old 8700 to work, i now just feel stupid for being so careless. anyone have any ideas? thanks.

John Clark 11-09-2007 12:15 AM

That shouldn't have relocked that stuff. The policy.bin above actually opens that stuff up. You're having another issue.

Did you re-enter the apn settings?

riclesb 11-09-2007 01:15 AM

i hope your right. yes i checked apn settings and they are good.other browser functions work fine (operamini and blackberry browser). its an ATT phone running 4.2.2.170 (2.5.0.30) when i go to firewall setting it is set to enabled (with a tiny red padlock icon next to it) and cant change option. its never been on BES, permissions all on allow everthing else seems to work fine. was able to change setting before (i know because when i set up GPS i checked that firewall was disabled) GPS does work still even though locked to enabled now. as locked firewall was a side affect of the it policy fix i figured it must have wrote in the default policy along with the unwanted side effects. i will double check all setting again. i was hoping that it was just locked but didnt do anything as all other settings were unchecked.

John Clark 11-09-2007 01:52 AM

Even if the firewall did lock again after applying this policy (which it sounds like may have happened,) the problems you are having are a product of application permissions, internet access, etc., not the "firewall." If everything in the firewall is unchecked then you should have access. Recheck your application permissions for the apps that don't work. You may need to reset firewall prompts under permissions.

riclesb 11-09-2007 07:54 AM

was starting to think you were right. so i deleted bbsmart and installed empower just to see how it behaved. when it views a html mail i get the pipeline error (trying to connect inside and outside the firewall which is against your IT POLICY). so deff still doing something, very frustrated. BE CAREFUL IF YOU USE 2 DEVICES ON THE SAME PC. If i can get a BES admin to add me and push a default policy will it fix this?? any other suggestions?

riclesb 11-09-2007 08:00 AM

one more question. If i get a new unit (still within 30 days) and i back everything up. When I reload the new device the IT Policy wont come over with the backed up info will it? I would think not but just checking.

John Clark 11-09-2007 11:56 AM

No, IT policy won't come over with the backup but make sure you remove that policy.bin from your computer. Additionally, that blank policy may not be able to be overwritten by another BES policy. I only recently heard about this issue.

As for the split pipe, many have told me this policy.bin fixed this problem for them and they were able to use all their applications. When I wrote it everything in the policy was set to allow and I even used it on one device and had no issues afterward. However, a few have said they still get this split pipe error with the blank policy. I haven't tracked which OS versions or models they were using to know why or when it happens (or even if the blank policy was applied properly.)

Unfortunatly, for several years this was the best there was for removing the policies. However, recently with the rollout of 4.3 RIM has added the "resettofactory" command in javaloader that will remove policies from devices with OS 4.3 and above on it. This is a HUGE step forward for this very problem. As soon as you can get OS 4.3 onto a device you can now remove the policy.

riclesb 11-09-2007 12:43 PM

ok im going to try to overwrite policy if my wife office will do it for me (bummed if it cant be overwritten, is this a fact or just speculation)? if no luck will have to wait till 4.3 dont think i want to swap out for a new one too much hassel with 4.3 around the corner. By the way thanks for all the input this board is great. if i get the policy to be overwritten and it works ill update the post.

thanks again

RageXP 11-12-2007 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riclesb (Post 734294)
ok im going to try to overwrite policy if my wife office will do it for me (bummed if it cant be overwritten, is this a fact or just speculation)? if no luck will have to wait till 4.3 dont think i want to swap out for a new one too much hassel with 4.3 around the corner. By the way thanks for all the input this board is great. if i get the policy to be overwritten and it works ill update the post.

thanks again

Hey there...im having the same issue ....firewall is enabled and cant disable it... one of my computer at work has policy.bin on it...which I have no idea of and synced my bb with it. GRRR!

riclesb 11-13-2007 02:10 AM

so far no joy. a few apps acting strange. this week my wifes IT guy is hopefully going to see if he can add me - push a default IT policy and then take me off again. I'll let you know how it goes. if that doesnt work i have till the 24th to return the phone (which i really would like to avoid)

cdoggLBC 11-13-2007 09:03 AM

Also noticed an issue with this policy.bin in addition to the Firewall. Bluetooth.... This file will remove the Wireless Bypass service (wireless connection to DM). I am guessing that the problem lies in that a Default IT Policy from a BES disables that Bluetooth service (why RIM set it that way I have no idea). policy.bin was probably created from a blank IT policy (which by default also locks the firewall on).

riclesb 11-16-2007 06:24 PM

i had the same issue. bluetooth sync stopped working for me as well. I never was able to get the new policy pushed to my phone and then suspected that it might not even fix it (may be same 'blankpolicy"). So i swapped the phone out before my 30 days were up. Heed the GIANT WARNING at the top of this thread, and use only if all else fails. was just what i needed for the old 8700 lying around.

donthateme13 11-16-2007 07:05 PM

Check this one out

So like another user in this thread i used the policy bin method to remove an it policy from a friend berry. stupidly i forgot to remove the policy from my comp and sync my brand new 8320 thus pushing hte new blank policy on to it. now while annoying that i had to keep changing the password(and then changing it back) everythin worked fine so it was no big deal. i used a bunch of third party application no problem including jivetalk. well wednesday i downloaded jive talk 1.0.3 and when i tried connecting to it i got the message about jivetalk tryin to access inside and outside of the firewall. now i cant use jive talk and other programs

anyone have any clue how this happened outta no where? im in the process of trying to overwrite the itpolicy with the policybin once again hopefully thatll do it

CBR900RR 11-16-2007 11:29 PM

OS 4.3 should be out before end of this year and you can put you BB back to the orginal state.

Quote:

Just uploaded a new version of JL_Cmder!

Now includes the resettofactory command. This command removes the IT policy from the device (OS 4.3+ required). Also note that after the resettofactory command has been run the device must be wiped. Backup your data first!

damian-griffin 11-17-2007 12:08 PM

Hello i got a blackberry 8700g off ebay a few days ago the person i got it from said they had done a wipe on it, but when i turned it on all of ther data and numbers were still on there. I have wiped it now but i havent got a clue how to set it up for emails and browsing the internet, it keeps cumming up with enterprise activation and data connection failed. can anyone help me please.

John Clark 11-17-2007 12:11 PM

You need a Blackberry Data Plan from your provider. Then you'll have options to setup email, etc.

kurrrt 11-26-2007 04:36 PM

Will the OS 4.3 run on 8700g? To disable the firewall.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBR900RR (Post 743010)
OS 4.3 should be out before end of this year and you can put you BB back to the orginal state.

John Clark 11-27-2007 01:47 AM

kurrrt, welcome to the forums!

OS 4.3 will run on the 8700 when they release a version for the 8700. Nobody knows when that's going to be. However, yes when 4.3 is released for the 8700 you'll be able to disable the firewalls put in place by IT policies.

cuex 11-27-2007 03:33 AM

hi jack..
i have a problem with my old bb
last time i allready unlock for my bb follow your instruction at the first page and working good until yesterday.
yesterday i try to re install all of the software cause i get error "java.can't.caugth.... ".
after i reinstall my bb cannot searching my celular network ( SOS on the network bar), i find the error report " MEP data Invalid".
pls somebody who has same experience or know something about this, pls help me..
i use 7290 bb.

tx before

regards

charless

riclesb 11-30-2007 08:30 AM

donthateme,

i think it has something to do with the jive talk upgrade. i think if you go back to an older version it will work. i and others had a similar issue. if you use operamini and are trying to get rid of the java nag screen every time you use it... a fix was to enable the firewall and give it permission the first time. when the firewall is enable jive talk only new version gets the firewall error and cant connect even on unit without the policy fix. (sorry if this is off topic)

onelove5683 12-04-2007 02:41 AM

There's something I just can't figure out.

Why every ITPolicy.bin I find on here and other BB forums has fixed my IT Policy problems but still keeps the Firewall locked? Did the person who started spreading this .bin just forget to uncheck that box in the ITPolicy.exe???

I'm not asking for a solution since I've been searching for about 6 hrs now and I can't find one. I'm just asking for someone to explain why that damn .bin isn't TOTALLY clear of IT restrictions?

d_fisher 12-04-2007 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onelove5683 (Post 762362)
Why every ITPolicy.bin I find on here and other BB forums has fixed my IT Policy problems but still keeps the Firewall locked? Did the person who started spreading this .bin just forget to uncheck that box in the ITPolicy.exe???

RIM changed the firewall option a while back. You can not disable the firewall and there really is no reason why you need to.

onelove5683 12-04-2007 05:19 PM

What do you mean there is no reason you need to disable the firewall? There are certain applications and sites you cannot access with the firewall enabled the way it is. One of those things are the Opera Browser, which is a pretty big deal for a lot of people.

d_fisher 12-04-2007 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onelove5683 (Post 763142)
What do you mean there is no reason you need to disable the firewall? There are certain applications and sites you cannot access with the firewall enabled the way it is. One of those things are the Opera Browser, which is a pretty big deal for a lot of people.

The firewall only blocks unsoliciated inbound connections. It only blocks connects from the outside that were not orginally requested by the BlackBerry. If your having a problem with Opera its not because the firewall was enabled.

onelove5683 12-04-2007 08:30 PM

That doesn't make sense though.

"The application operette $2dhifi has attempted to open a connection to a location inside the firewall and outside the firewall which is not allowed by your IT policy"

So maybe the question is this: has anyone done this ITPolicy.bin modification and still been able to install Opera afterwards?

John Clark 12-04-2007 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onelove5683 (Post 762362)
There's something I just can't figure out.

I'm not asking for a solution since I've been searching for about 6 hrs now and I can't find one. I'm just asking for someone to explain why that damn .bin isn't TOTALLY clear of IT restrictions?

On 4.2 and older OS's the IT policy is NOT removable. You can overwrite it with another "blank" policy or a policy that doesn't restrict anything. That is what's going on with the policy.bin in this thread. However, the firewall and application permission settings are not included in the IT policy itself. They are pushed out by the BES along with the IT policy in another section of the BES setup. The policy.bin will never disable the firewall or the permissions that have been restricted.

That being said, if you read all of this thread you'll see that RIM has given us some relief from this with OS 4.3. Once 4.3 comes out for the devices then we'll be able to completely remove all It restrictions from the device. Until then, the above policy.bin is the best there is for this problem.

jeremyckitching 12-04-2007 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onelove5683 (Post 763374)
So maybe the question is this: has anyone done this ITPolicy.bin modification and still been able to install Opera afterwards?

I have, with my older BlackBerry.

onelove5683 12-04-2007 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 763379)
On 4.2 and older OS's the IT policy is NOT removable. You can overwrite it with another "blank" policy or a policy that doesn't restrict anything. That is what's going on with the policy.bin in this thread. However, the firewall and application permission settings are not included in the IT policy itself. They are pushed out by the BES along with the IT policy in another section of the BES setup. The policy.bin will never disable the firewall or the permissions that have been restricted.

That being said, if you read all of this thread you'll see that RIM has given us some relief from this with OS 4.3. Once 4.3 comes out for the devices then we'll be able to completely remove all It restrictions from the device. Until then, the above policy.bin is the best there is for this problem.

Thanks John. I have read all through this thread (without skipping anything) and all through about 5 other forums.

I have installed the new ITPolicy.bin file from the first post.

Then I downloaded the enterprise express server and used the ITPolicy.exe to modify the ITPolicy.bin and allowed for "SplitPipeConnections", but it still will not allow me to fully install Opera. Although, now it does go all the way to the end of the installation and notifies me that it failed to connect to the internet. (btw, I added the APN: wap.voicestream.com as directed by operamini.com)

So, something changed after I opened up the SplitPipeConnections but still will not allow me to use Opera. Is this because of the firewall issue we're facing?

And is it ok to leave this value as "true"? Or should I go back to using the original ITPolicy.bin from the first post?

onelove5683 12-04-2007 11:03 PM

I've tried EVERYTHING, even tried the v4.2.1.108 device firmware from UK. Just in case. I guess there's no choice but to wait for 4.3 then.

John Clark 12-04-2007 11:40 PM

Ok...I must confess. It's been quite a while since I've looked at the Policy.bin in the post. I was sure that split pipe connection was set to "true" in the policy.bin I had posted. However, in reviewing it this evening, I realize that it wasn't. Sorry to everyone who used this and was getting that error. My bad. Anyway, I've posted a new one with a few minor changes, including split pipe connections. I've posted the code that is included in the policy.bin so that you can review what I've done before you load it to your device.

Please post if you think I should change something in the policy.bin.

Hope this helps.

~John

onelove5683 12-05-2007 02:21 AM

Haha, I was wondering why the ITPolicy.bin floating around had the SplitPipeConnection as "false". Glad you were able to change it John. And I am assuming that I was ok in making mine say "true"? Either way it still didn't allow Opera to work. Any thoughts?

asymptote 12-06-2007 02:58 PM

Is there a policy.bin file around that enables the Bluetooth sync?

ronr 12-10-2007 11:29 PM

I just did this with a 7105t that I am setting up for my daughter. It worked like a charm!

Thank you so much!

rby1 12-14-2007 07:01 PM

What to do if remove it policy doesn't work

I had trouble with this the first 19 times. I suspected it was because my registry said "current user" and the instructions said "current users". However this is irrelevant.

Just follow the instructions as posted. However:

After changing the registry, restart the computer.
The Blackberry should be freshly wiped. Wipe it, let it reboot and don't touch it.
Open Device Manager
Plug in Blackberry
Blackberry screen will say Connecting to Desktop
Computer will ask if you want to backup. I click no
Wait a few seconds for it to connect
Unplug and it policy is gone (it will still ask for new password but the option to disable will no appear)

When you want to do subsequent blackberrys, just close device manager, open it again and plug in the blackberry

jacjar1 12-18-2007 09:51 PM

Thanks

This works great. I had a default policy from last employer and could load applications but couldnt turn off the password. Now I can...(y) :smile:

helfrez 12-22-2007 08:56 PM

I loaded this policy on a 8300 and it removed the default locks, however I still don't have the ability to send SMS text messages. Running the latest 4.2.2 for AT&T downloaded from RIM. I can compose MMS and Call mobile, no compose sms text options.

I checked that the network to send was set to GSM, and I cant find anything out of place. Any idea what may be missing? Cold start didnt restore the option.

helfrez 12-23-2007 12:22 PM

So far no luck helping out a friend with the Curve...just cant seems to get the Compose SMS option to show back up..any ideas?

vikjts 01-05-2008 10:14 AM

There is a problem with this policy.bin. Read my thread "Password doesn't work!!".

John Clark 01-05-2008 11:57 PM

There's no problem with the policy.bin.

Sith_Apprentice 01-13-2008 02:28 PM

i still cannot disable the firewall. I get the prompts but then the enable/disbale has a little locked icon next to it. of course this is a device that was linked with RIMs BES... soo.. maybe wont work

John Clark 01-13-2008 02:39 PM

Wirelessly posted (BB 8860: BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

No, you can't disable the firewall. The policy won't open it. If you have a 4.3 device you can use JL_Cmder to resettofactory and remove all restrictions.

Sith_Apprentice 01-13-2008 03:19 PM

cant get JT of Bbtoday to connect without it apparently. I also have an option that ive not messed with before. I havent looked it up but Secure GC is enabled

Multipath 01-31-2008 01:14 PM

John,

I have struggled with getting my BlueTooth Wireless Bypass desktop connectivity restored since I left the BES from my previous company. I was able to get RIM, via T-Mobile support, to push a policy to the 8100 that restored it, but for some reason it has been lost again. I have read through several strings regarding this, and have looked at the code for the policy.bin that you kindly posted. I don't see a line in that policy that will change the Wireless Bypass back to True. Am I missing it or is it not there? And if it is not there, do you know where I can find a policy.bin that does restore full BlueTooth functionality? Thanks!

rybgood 02-09-2008 06:21 AM

More Help

I have purchased a used BB. When I got it, the email set up and web browser worked fine. Unfortunately, I was not able to install 3rd party apps because of the IT block of 3rd party apps. This was frustrating, so I tried out this process. Now I can not access the email option to establish new personal accounts, nor can I access the web browser (the icon does not even appear). What should I do? HELP!

John Clark 02-09-2008 08:20 AM

Go to Options >Advanced Options >Host Routing Table >hit menu key >Select "Register Now."

bredrin1 02-11-2008 11:18 PM

This can work with any Blackberry? I buy and sell phones so we come across the IT policy that says NO PHONE which means the phone cannot make or rcv calls but everything else works

rybgood 02-14-2008 03:52 AM

Thank You

OK,

All is well. It is working perfectly with my BBerry now. Another happy camper.

Thanks a million,
Rybgood :smile: (y)

John Clark 02-23-2008 12:27 PM

Added a Note to the first post to go back and remove the policy.bin and the registry entry after finishing so that this policy isn't inadvertantly added to future BB's that are plugged in to the same computer.

dannyboyblue 02-29-2008 10:20 PM

having problems

So I just bought a bb and am having this problem. After I download the policy.bin and save it I go to regedit and I navigate to HKEY_Current_Users\Software\Research In Motion\....after that there isn't a \blackberry]policymanager for me to rename.......any ideas of what I've done wrong or missed?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Danny