BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9900 Series Discussion - Bold Touch (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Disable emails whilst overseas ! (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=261049)

DebraLee 08-14-2012 08:41 PM

Disable emails whilst overseas !

Hi All

A new BB9900 owner and having recently returned from a holiday overseas... a horrendous phone bill has arrived. While travelling I had my data off and only turned it on to post FB updates to family etc and send the odd text message. Turning the data on automatically downloaded all my emails, which I didn't want... thus the huge phone bill.

How can I delete or cancel my email address on my phone while travelling overseas, but still use my phone for texts and FB etc ?

A friend mentioned BB Travel ??

HELP... !!

Debra Lee:smile:

aiharkness 08-14-2012 10:53 PM

Re: Disable emails whilst overseas !

BlackBerry travel is an app for travel itineraries, booking travel, etc. It has nothing to do with what you are talking about.

As far as avoiding charges, see what others say. I'm not well versed on the subject of international travel with BlackBerry. For what it's worth, I would sign up with my carrier ahead of time for international roaming plan, but I don't know your means or your options.

Also, FYI, text messages use the voice network, and not data (except for MMS) and the Facebook app uses data. You could disable data in device options, but then you wouldn't be able to use data apps.

As I say, though, see what others say.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Motorcycle Mama 08-15-2012 05:48 AM

Set up a filter in the email settings. Select "Do Not Forward" where it reads "When No Filters Apply".

Note that you will have to do this for each email address on the device.

Note also that any emails received when this is enabled will NEVER be sent to the device.

When you come back, change the setting back.

DebraLee 08-16-2012 11:56 PM

Will get Hubby to check out it tonight. I am COMPLETELY technically challenged !!

devnull 08-17-2012 05:00 AM

FYI, from what I've read, Facebook is a huge data consumer. Possibly more so than plain email.

aiharkness 08-17-2012 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devnull (Post 1785414)
FYI, from what I've read, Facebook is a huge data consumer. Possibly more so than plain email.

I was thinking the same thing, but I didn't know the facts. In other words, even if the OP stops email but repeats what they did before, they'll likely end up with a very big bill again, about the same as before.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

dc/dc 08-17-2012 08:40 AM

I can attest that Facebook is a big consumer.

devnull 08-17-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aiharkness (Post 1785425)
I was thinking the same thing, but I didn't know the facts. In other words, even if the OP stops email but repeats what they did before, they'll likely end up with a very big bill again, about the same as before.

I'm in agreement with you Ira. Based on the OP, they mentioned both Facebook and email but seemed more focused on the email. And since we really dont have details on the amount of either, I just wanted to let the OP know they might need to consider FB as the culprit.