BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General Legacy Device Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   Where was your 8800 built and what is the build quality? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=70152)

sean76 03-23-2007 09:54 AM

Like everyone else here,I really luv RIM'S phones.
Blackberry is second to none when you really think about the positive aspects.Yes,with mass quanity it's real tough to produce a perfect device, but the Squeaks are annoying.And a lot of people seem to notice it begin after a couple of days with the phone.In any event, I luv the product as a whole.This should be the worst of all our problems! At least we have the 8300 to look forward toooo. Great thread Go Frogs.

GoFrogs 03-23-2007 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoxFan
I dint know what squeeksa you quys are talking about. Mine seema pretty normal.

Pretty well documented in this thread:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...eeky-side.html

Mine was rock solid out of the box, but after 2 days I heard a slight crunching on the sides when handling the phone. It started at the top mostly around the usb. Over the next few days it is top to bottom on both sides. When you are holding the device on the sides as you normally would, I can squeeze (lightly) and feel the plastic move in and out --- almost like a crunchy cheap button or something.

osv2005cont 03-24-2007 08:50 PM

my phone was made in Mexico and it doesn't squeak

GoFrogs 03-25-2007 04:25 PM

While I'm not sure of the statistics, it almost looks as if you have a 50/50 chance of getting a problem free BB. That's not too good although Squeeky sides get the vast majority of the issue vote, which I'm sure RIM could resolve. Some of the new people making purchases are having issues, so it is not something that has been corrected in production. Also, the Mexico BB seems to have a higher likelihood of having no problems but still have their share.

GoFrogs 03-26-2007 05:33 PM

Ordered a new one from Amazon today, hoping it was made in Mexico!

SimonMac 03-27-2007 07:36 AM

Canada, keys are responsive and "clicky", sides squeek and locks randomly.

EvilSailor9 03-27-2007 09:06 AM

Mexico, no issues.

archer6 03-27-2007 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoFrogs
While I'm not sure of the statistics, it almost looks as if you have a 50/50 chance of getting a problem free BB.

With all due respect, I believe this "guesstimate", may be a bit harsh and judgmental. A blanket statement that may have been made without the benefit of a fact based survey.

The percentage of BB users that belong to and report on this forum is a very small number in comparison to all the new BB's deployed in companies and used by individuals world wide.

It's human nature for a lot of people to be prone to complain. And conversely those who are perfectly happy with their BB's are out there enjoying them and not writing in.

I would prefer to read an accurate report based on facts. After all the BlackBerry is and continues to be the preferred, proven, world class mobile corporate and now public communicator.

Cheers....

GoFrogs 03-28-2007 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by archer6
With all due respect, I believe this "guesstimate", may be a bit harsh and judgmental. A blanket statement that may have been made without the benefit of a fact based survey.

The percentage of BB users that belong to and report on this forum is a very small number in comparison to all the new BB's deployed in companies and used by individuals world wide.

It's human nature for a lot of people to be prone to complain. And conversely those who are perfectly happy with their BB's are out there enjoying them and not writing in.

I respect your opinion and thought process and don't entirely disagree. In my defense, I did say I was not sure of the statistics due to the "closed" nature of the sample (many years since my last Stats course! :) ) All the issues seem to be very small in #'s even here (where you would expect them to be higher).

The only one that seems to be consistent is the squeeky sides and it seems to be a large # of blackberryforums users (50% is high even for a forum, don't you think?). I think this forum is very pro-RIM (and I'm one of them) but this issue seems to be affecting quite a few. While I think many are prone to "complaining" as you say, that is not what I'm doing. I am in search of some information. I really wanted to see if I was just unlucky which I would have been fine with -- even the best company in the world cannot be 100% on Quality Control. Or secondly, I wanted to see if maybe I should avoid the Canada production models when I replace mine (which arrives today, btw). I think I got both of those answered and it will hopefully help the next person who runs into some issue.

Honestly, if you see the reaction I get from people who ask to see "the latest BlackBerry". It goes from excitement to a puzzled look when I hand them the device. When you hold it on the sides they squeek/crunch and flex in like it is going to break. One person asked me yesterday if I wasn't sure they were going to fall off.
Lastly, I don't really understand this comment:
Quote:

Originally Posted by archer6
I would prefer to read an accurate report based on facts. After all the BlackBerry is and continues to be the preferred, proven, world class mobile corporate and now public communicator.

Aren't we supposed to be exchanging thoughts, ideas, help, commentary etc? The vast majority of information on this site is personal experiences, thoughts, and biases, not reports based on facts. If I'm wrong here, then the mods need to disable polls as they will NEVER be facts based statistics.

archer6 03-28-2007 01:39 PM

Quote:

I respect your opinion and thought process and don't entirely disagree. In my defense, I did say I was not sure of the statistics due to the "closed" nature of the sample (many years since my last Stats course! :) ) All the issues seem to be very small in #'s even here (where you would expect them to be higher).

The only one that seems to be consistent is the squeeky sides and it seems to be a large # of blackberryforums users (50% is high even for a forum, don't you think?). I think this forum is very pro-RIM (and I'm one of them) but this issue seems to be affecting quite a few. While I think many are prone to "complaining" as you say, that is not what I'm doing. I am in search of some information. I really wanted to see if I was just unlucky which I would have been fine with -- even the best company in the world cannot be 100% on Quality Control. Or secondly, I wanted to see if maybe I should avoid the Canada production models when I replace mine (which arrives today, btw). I think I got both of those answered and it will hopefully help the next person who runs into some issue.

Honestly, if you see the reaction I get from people who ask to see "the latest BlackBerry". It goes from excitement to a puzzled look when I hand them the device. When you hold it on the sides they squeek/crunch and flex in like it is going to break. One person asked me yesterday if I wasn't sure they were going to fall off.
Lastly, I don't really understand this comment:

Aren't we supposed to be exchanging thoughts, ideas, help, commentary etc? The vast majority of information on this site is personal experiences, thoughts, and biases, not reports based on facts. If I'm wrong here, then the mods need to disable polls as they will NEVER be facts based statistics.

Thank you for your well written post !

I agree with you on many of your points and stand corrected, as in retrospect I was a bit off base thinking purely fact based.

As you mentioned the core purpose and great benefit of an outstanding forum like this one is to provide us with a place to share personal experiences etc.

I remain a very loyal, happy BlackBerry Forums member and Thank You, Go Frogs, for your positive input.

Cheers.....:smile:

GoFrogs 03-28-2007 03:00 PM

Thanks archer6! Cheers to you too!

I too remain steadfastly loyal!!

My new BB arrived today and it was made in Mexico. Hoping for the best!

jbaumgartner 03-28-2007 03:19 PM

Vote

How do I find out where mine was built?

GoFrogs 03-28-2007 08:21 PM

Only place I know is on the side of the box. It either says Made in Mexico or Made in Canada.

GCI-CrackBerry 03-29-2007 12:00 AM

Made in Mexico with squeaky sides! And slippery as hell!

sean76 03-29-2007 09:09 AM

I agree GoFrogs,I handed my phone to my Dad to use yesterday and he gave me a look like ???. It just feels like a really cheap device and it's all because of the extremly loose crunchy sides.
My pops noticed it right away,
and he's not even that into this stuff. So I would hope this is something that gets fixed in the building stages by RIM. As of now, my 8800 is going on Ebay. My trusty 8703e
Is coming out of retirement until the 8300 drops.

sl0ppyshat 03-31-2007 08:45 PM

Mine squeeks like crazy and freezes all the time. I think i should call cingular for a replacement

8Clappin 04-01-2007 10:40 PM

Mexico - squeaky sides, right side of screen higher than left, loose battery cover, w key doesn't work much of the time, random freezing

My replacement can't come fast enough.

8Clappin 04-01-2007 10:41 PM

Quote:

Only place I know is on the side of the box. It either says Made in Mexico or Made in Canada.

If you remove the battery, the label underneath says where it's made