BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General Legacy Device Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   Where was your 8800 built and what is the build quality? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=70152)

GoFrogs 03-21-2007 12:04 PM

Where was your 8800 built and what is the build quality?

Trying to find out if there is a pattern on build quality and issues and where the handset was built. Might give insight for those of us having issues.

dooks88 03-21-2007 01:06 PM

no issues here...mexico (voted)

archer6 03-21-2007 01:21 PM

Canada, no issues...:smile:

greggebhardt 03-21-2007 02:15 PM

Mexico, no issues

fonejunkie 03-21-2007 02:55 PM

Mexico... also no issues. (voted).

hf1khal 03-21-2007 04:29 PM

Made in Mexico. One thing was that i had the squeek, but a switch of the battery cover fixed al of it and now no squeek at all and all is great.

SoxFan 03-21-2007 04:45 PM

Handheld made in Mexico. Accessories made in Canada, China, Japan.

I can say I have a hard time opening the back.

H3LLFIRE 03-21-2007 05:09 PM

Mexico, no issues. Very solid build, no random resets to note, fantastic feel to keyboard (nice and snappy).

Viva Mexico!

MaxT32 03-21-2007 07:24 PM

Made in Mexico, squeaky sides, but not very squeaky. Oh and it missing its camera. :)

GoFrogs 03-22-2007 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hf1khal
Made in Mexico. One thing was that i had the squeek, but a switch of the battery cover fixed al of it and now no squeek at all and all is great.

I may be confusing the issue, but my experience with the squeeky sides is on both sides top to bottom particularly around the USB. I think "squeek" isn't an accurate term-- more like "crunchy". I could see how a new battery cover could fix a real squeek if the bottom part was rubbing, but this feels like ---the side pieces are snapped in place, then glued. So when you first get the handset it is rock solid but the glue doesn't hold. This feels like the side pieces now have some "play" in them which results in the noise. Is this different that what you mean?

GoFrogs 03-22-2007 07:21 AM

Preliminary results seem to point to Mexico having a better build quality, but Squeeky/Crunchy sides are an issue on over 1/3 of the handsets.

paulmac 03-22-2007 07:31 AM

Canada, good feel to the keys, and no squeaky sides. (voted)

sean76 03-22-2007 03:05 PM

Mine was made in Mexico, keyboard feels fine, no cold resets so far, but the SQUEAKY sides have bugun last night. It's Definitly something that RIM should look into and correct. In my opinion the 8703e that I own feels much more durable with better build quality!

Kane317 03-22-2007 04:59 PM

Mexico here, squeeky/crunchy sides. Doesn't bother me much since I love this phone too much.

scotth 03-22-2007 05:31 PM

voted
Mexico
squeeky sides now - didn't out of the box

archer6 03-22-2007 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kane317
Mexico here, squeeky/crunchy sides. Doesn't bother me much since I love this phone too much.

While mine is silent my friends 8800 developed the noise. Here's how I fixed it for him.

I very carefully applied some WD-40 in the gap between the side plates and the body of the phone. If you use it lightly, there is no chance of harming anything, and WD-40 does not affect any electrical circuitry. Also the propellant evaporates to leave just a fine film of lubricant behind.

That was 10 days ago, and it's still completely silent. Any housing made from plastic is bound to move when gripped and this is a proven way to stop the noise of the two dry plastic surfaces creaking when they move.

Hope this helps.
Cheers!

sean76 03-22-2007 06:08 PM

My girlfriend has the Pearl and the sides have the same chrome plastic sides as the 8800.she's had it for a couple of months now and not a squeak.I think Rim just dropped the ball on build quality for the 8800's.

archer6 03-22-2007 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean76
My girlfriend has the Pearl and the sides have the same chrome plastic sides as the 8800.she's had it for a couple of months now and not a squeak.I think Rim just dropped the ball on build quality for the 8800's.

Actually that's not the case at all. Pearls also have been known to have this same issue as have many other brands of cell phones. Just because your girlfriends phone is quite, it's only one of thousands that are being built and sold.

One must remember that of course we are going to hear about the noisey ones here, as not every owner of a BlackBerry posts on this forum. It's kind of like the service department at the car dealership, of course they are only going to see the cars with problems, the rest are out there happily driving around.

I have owned more than 40 phones and can tell you that creaks from plastic bodies on the phones are not unusual. Plus it's important to remember that the phone comes with a warranty. If it's that bad, just send it back for another.

Finally remember that's the reason that all products have warranties, because there is not such thing as a perfect product when they are mass produced. These are complex devices and therefore you are going to encounter some which will have issues.

Rim is one of the best when it comes to quality control, and build quality. Perfect? No, Excellent? Yes.

Cheers....

GoFrogs 03-23-2007 09:34 AM

archer6 - I think the 8800 is pretty solid. I just think I have a "bad" one and will probably return. However, I do agree with sean76 that the squeeky/crunchy sides are a poor design or build. I have had close to as many phones as you and am used to the "squeek" like the 8700 has. This is directly related to the plastic used and the rubbing like you mentioned. The 8800 sides seem to get worse over time and actually "pop" away from the housing. I don't see a big gap (YET!), but every time I pick up my phone, the MONK side of me feels the sides "crunch" in and out. I guess it is a mute point if you change phones often, but I believe the 8800 sides will become worse over time.

SoxFan 03-23-2007 09:50 AM

I dint know what squeeksa you quys are talking about. Mine seema pretty normal.