BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9600 Series Discussion - Tour (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   BBM Contact Pictures GONE! (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=224731)

sjt79 04-20-2010 05:54 AM

BBM Contact Pictures GONE!

I did a clean wipe of my BB 9630 last night and re-installed OS 5. When I reconnected to all my BBM contacts, all of their personal set profile pictures (on the BBM server - not ones I set myself) do not show up anymore. I checked my application list and RIM installed BBM 5.0 with OS 5 (why not 5.0.0.57!!!???). So I download 5.0.0.57, leave the phone overnight, and still nothing - no profile pictures. Any ideas?:oops:

aiharkness 04-20-2010 05:58 AM

Don't know for sure . . . Did you use the backup feature in BBM and did you restore? Don't know if that function backs up images or not. Otherwise, sounds to me like you images were stored in device memory and you wiped them when you did the re-install.

Do you have a recent backup file? If so, you could do a restore and see what you got.

sjt79 04-20-2010 06:13 AM

I didn't back up, no. I purposely did that (as crazy as it sounds) because the phone was doing such weird things since two OTA updates that I wanted EVERYTHING fresh and clean to eliminate all possibilities of errors. I manually (I know, I said I am crazy lol) re-entered everyone's PIN, so their profile picture that they set should come over the BBM server. These aren't pictures that I had saved for them locally.

wickednate 04-20-2010 06:37 AM

Since you manually entered the PIN's, are they pending approval for request?

aiharkness 04-20-2010 06:46 AM

Wirelessly posted

Assuming the requests have been accepted and no longer pending, what do you have set in BBM options for Display Pictures?

sjt79 04-20-2010 07:59 AM

None of the contacts are pending. In my settings, I have "Replace Caller ID Pictures with Display Pictures" UNCHECKED so my contacts (address book - which I have no pictures set in) pictures don't override their own personal BBM pictures. I also don't have that Facebook picture sync thing either so there are NO contact pictures anywhere.

aiharkness 04-20-2010 08:05 AM

Wirelessly posted

I believe that setting is the opposite of what you are thinking, but I'm not 100% sure. Try checking, save, and try again.

Also, a hard reset is something to try at this point. With the power on, remove the battery for 30-60 seconds.

sjt79 04-20-2010 09:07 AM

Unfortunately, neither did the trick. Oh well. It's not the end of the world, but just something annoying. It's better than losing all bars of signal and having them come back a few seconds later, which is what was happening my first go round with OS 5...then on to delayed text messages. It's always something with a new OS. Hopefully they fix the bugs or maybe I'll try RIM's platform update version (?).

Love the pinscher, btw. Gorgeous dog.

Thanks for your help.

sjt79 04-26-2010 03:02 PM

It took two more handset wipes, using DM, plus the Verizon version of the new platform to get BBM to start working again and for my SMS to start working without delays. Dare I say it without being stoned by the BB gods, it's almost like dealing with Windows :razz: