BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Site Suggestions, News & Problems (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   BlackBerryForums.com has improved, are you seeing a speed increase? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=238595)

Tom 10-24-2010 02:36 AM

BlackBerryForums.com has improved, are you seeing a speed increase?

BlackBerryForums.com is now making use of a content delivery network with servers worldwide, are you seeing a performance improvement? Please include if you mainly browse during peak or off-peak times.

Thank you!

dc/dc 10-24-2010 03:30 AM

I am seeing improvements from Afghanistan with my UK-based ISP. I mainly browse at off-peak times compared to the rest of the world.

Tom 10-24-2010 07:29 PM

Perfect. One of the new CDN servers is located in the UK. There are servers coming in Hong Kong, Beijing, Tokyo and Sydney. These should speed up Asia/Australia significantly.

TBOLTRAM 10-27-2010 08:53 PM

Thank you kind sir. (y)

aiharkness 10-31-2010 05:47 AM

Much faster for me. This is the first chance I've been able to use it on a computer (been mobile since I first saw the post). Page load is almost instant right now (0545 in US central time zone at the moment).

arieltf 11-18-2010 09:04 AM

Re: BlackBerryForums.com has improved, are you seeing a speed increase?

I've noticed that the new post icon and new posts don't "refresh" as quickly as before.

It used to be, from my Subscribed Forums list, I could see what forums had new posts. I would go to that forum and see the new posts, as usual, indicated with bold text. I would read the new posts in that forum and return to the Subscribed Forums list. The list would immediately show that there are no more new posts in that forum.

Now, the forum (that I just read) still shows the new posts icon and when I go into that forum, the posts that I just read are still shown in bold text.

The forum eventually (after a minute or two) refreshes to indicate that I've already read that forum and new posts.

Maybe I shouldn't read as quickly as I do. ;-)

I hope this all makes sense.

--Ariel

Tom 11-18-2010 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arieltf (Post 1675364)
I've noticed that the new post icon and new posts don't "refresh" as quickly as before.

It used to be, from my Subscribed Forums list, I could see what forums had new posts. I would go to that forum and see the new posts, as usual, indicated with bold text. I would read the new posts in that forum and return to the Subscribed Forums list. The list would immediately show that there are no more new posts in that forum.

Now, the forum (that I just read) still shows the new posts icon and when I go into that forum, the posts that I just read are still shown in bold text.

The forum eventually (after a minute or two) refreshes to indicate that I've already read that forum and new posts.

Maybe I shouldn't read as quickly as I do. ;-)

I hope this all makes sense.

--Ariel

The marking of the forums read or posts read is not a site thing but a cookies thing. It relies on cookies to tell it if you have read that post or forum, and if your browser does not update itself quick enough.. the site will not know it either. Does that make sense?

jmwking 11-18-2010 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 1675433)
The marking of the forums read or posts read is not a site thing but a cookies thing. It relies on cookies to tell it if you have read that post or forum, and if your browser does not update itself quick enough.. the site will not know it either. Does that make sense?

Are you sure this is a cookie thing? Not database marking?

We discussed this a almost two years ago with regard to the WiForums software, and I thought you'd changed to database marking (obviously only for those logged in).

-jk

Tom 11-18-2010 02:55 PM

Yes, we changed over to cookies after the new mobile site was put up, to minify database queries.

arieltf 11-18-2010 04:02 PM

If it is a cookies thing, then how does the browser on my work computer know that I have already read posts from my home computer and vice versa?

This is what I am experiencing.

--Ariel

JSanders 11-18-2010 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 1675456)
to minify database queries.

New Canadian word?

Tom 11-18-2010 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSanders (Post 1675503)
New Canadian word?

No, not at all. It's as American as Freedom. It's a programming term, see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minification_(programming)

djm2 11-19-2010 11:48 AM

Did this change also bring the Thanks button?

TBOLTRAM 11-19-2010 09:02 PM

I am having problems with slow response at times, not being able to log in (it is taking 2 to 4 trys), and sometimes the webpage just sort of freezes for a while. I know it is not my computer or web as other sites are not having this problem.

I am using iMac 27inch i7 with latest versions of Leopard and Safari through Comcast.

By the way, what is the Thanks key all about? Why can't I thank myself?

JSanders 11-21-2010 10:54 PM

Thanks button: BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community - Announcements in Forum : Site Suggestions, News & Problems

Yea, it came about at the same time. You can't thank your own posts, only others'.

arieltf 11-22-2010 08:37 AM

The new post "refresh" lag that I mentioned has been resolved. Thanks! (y)

--Ariel