BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Aftermarket Software (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   ATTN: GrandCentral users (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=180829)

dualsub2006 03-12-2009 11:19 AM

ATTN: GrandCentral users

The new GC, now known as Google Voice is starting to become available. It is absolutely killer. Think Gmail for Voice.

Watch your inbox at GC for a notification that you are ready to update. Here is a pretty good review of the new version:\

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/03/11...ery-very-good/

usblues1965 03-12-2009 02:15 PM

coooool

MrKyoo 03-12-2009 02:35 PM

Quote:

Your account is not yet ready to be upgraded. Please check back shortly.
(n)

kathrynhr 03-12-2009 02:54 PM

Here's the official "about" page for Google Voice:

https://www.google.com/voice/about

I'm concerned about the privacy implications of some of these features.

MooseNYC 03-12-2009 04:40 PM

dualsub,
I LOVE your avatar!
LOL

Dawg 03-12-2009 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrKyoo (Post 1317726)
(n)

Same here

MrKyoo 03-13-2009 11:37 PM

More info.
Quote:

What happens when I upgrade?

You'll be asked to indicate the Google Account you want to use or create a new one. This will allow you to use the same username and password and address book ('Contacts') for Google Voice as for Gmail and other Google products.

Upon upgrading, Google will migrate your GrandCentral number, PIN, and forwarding phones. Your call logs and voicemails may take a few days to update. You'll need to recreate any individual and group settings and greetings. If you want to keep your GrandCentral address book, you can export it from GrandCentral and import it in Google Voice.

How do I access the service after I upgrade?

After upgrading, you'll need to go to http://www.google.com/voice to use the service. Your GrandCentral account will remain accessible, but no new messages will be added. Keep in mind that you won't be able to sign in to Google Voice with your GrandCentral login information. To sign in to Google Voice, you'll need to use your email address or username associated with your Google Account (e.g., [email address] or [email address]).

What if I don't upgrade?

You'll still be able to use GrandCentral as you currently do for the near future. At some point, we'll require all GrandCentral users to upgrade to Google Voice, and we'll send you more information at that time.

Do I need to get a new number?

No. You'll use the same GrandCentral number you already have.

Can I invite others to use Google Voice?

Not quite yet. You need to have a GrandCentral account to be upgraded, but we'll invite more people to sign up over the next weeks.

Is any feature being lost in the transition?

RingShare has been discontinued.

What happens to WebCall buttons?

After you upgrade to Google Voice, you'll need to upgrade any WebCall button with the new Google Voice Call Widget.

mgerbasio 03-14-2009 02:35 PM

I've been using it for about a day now. It doesn't use your GrandCentral address book unless you manually import it, rather, it will use your gmail contacts which is better for me. Unfortunately, for hosted accounts there seems to be a problem getting the address book access in GV.

Usually I get about 10-15 voicemails a day and Friday, none! So, I couldn't checkout the transcription feature except for a couple of test calls. It worked very well.

You can SMS right from GV and if someone sends a SMS to your GV account, it will forward to your mobile. You can also SMS from your mobile using the GV number so your cell number is completely transparent. I haven't been able to get the forwarding to work yet.

The web site is nicely updated but the mobile site on my BB doesn't look as streamlined as the old site. I guess I'll have to wait and see as I actually use the service.

You can still pull up the old GC web site to listen to old voicemail.

You can make and receive calls on it and use the Gizmo sip client as a gui on your PC. You can make calls on it using your BB by dialing your GC number then dialing the number you want to call. Nice if you don't want to distribute your cell phone number. As bad as that sounds (I don't remember anyone's number anymore), I'm guessing you can use one of the calling card third party apps to deal with the dialing. Nice if you have this as a myfav or circle number, basically all the unlimited calling you want (provided the service sound quality is good).

If they added fax and the ability to call your number and dial from your online phonebook, I'd say they'd have the perfect service.

Regards-Michael G.

koleary19067 03-14-2009 02:43 PM

Still waiting to be upgraded..

mgerbasio 03-14-2009 02:43 PM

Looks like the SMS forwarding may just be an issue with AT&T.

341EastOf 03-14-2009 03:41 PM

My account is not ready to upgrade yet either. I will wait patiently I suppose.

I would also love a fax feature built in.

341EastOf 03-14-2009 03:43 PM

Also - thanks to dualsub2006 for bringing this to my attention. I had no idea about the changeover.

MrKyoo 03-14-2009 04:36 PM

I'm still a bit hesitant in upgrading to Google Voice. Not sure why though, I just am.

koleary19067 03-14-2009 05:37 PM

I'm excited by it. Maybe i won't have to paid Simulscribe 20 bucks a month

samalolo 03-15-2009 01:34 AM

While I wait for my grandcentral account to be available for Google Voice .. does anyone know if you can edit or add to the transcribed text? It would be cool to be able to add notes next to a voicemail.

FF2 03-15-2009 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrKyoo (Post 1319866)
I'm still a bit hesitant in upgrading to Google Voice. Not sure why though, I just am.

I'm still figuring this out but I'm with you on this. I guess it is just one more consolidation of OUR data into one account - easier to keep track of everything we do/call/visit/search etc being combined in one nice tidy account eventually. BIG GOOGLE, ahem, Brother.

koleary19067 03-15-2009 02:49 AM

Anyone know time frame on when current users will be converted

dualsub2006 03-15-2009 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samalolo (Post 1320430)
While I wait for my grandcentral account to be available for Google Voice .. does anyone know if you can edit or add to the transcribed text? It would be cool to be able to add notes next to a voicemail.

You cannot edit the transcript. You can add a note. It can be a lengthy note. It shows with a little note icon just below the transcript. Notes can be added to messages with or without a transcript, and you can even add a note to an SMS conversation.

Notes can be edited.

EDIT: Oh yeah, notes can also be deleted.

dualsub2006 03-15-2009 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koleary19067 (Post 1320501)
Anyone know time frame on when current users will be converted

Sorry, I don't. Their Twitter feed at one point said that upgrades had gone out to all GC users. Then yesterday it said that they were sorry and that it would all finish in the next few days.

MrKyoo 03-15-2009 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FF2 (Post 1320496)
I'm still figuring this out but I'm with you on this. I guess it is just one more consolidation of OUR data into one account - easier to keep track of everything we do/call/visit/search etc being combined in one nice tidy account eventually. BIG GOOGLE, ahem, Brother.

I keep telling myself that I must embrace change. I'm trying to fight the temptation of Google Voice but I am fighting a loosing battle. I've already imported my contacts from GC to my gmail account. ;-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dualsub2006 (Post 1320887)
You cannot edit the transcript. You can add a note. It can be a lengthy note. It shows with a little note icon just below the transcript. Notes can be added to messages with or without a transcript, and you can even add a note to an SMS conversation.

Notes can be edited.

EDIT: Oh yeah, notes can also be deleted.

How user friendly is the mobile site. www.google.com/voice/m