BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 8300 Series Discussion - Curve (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Is Hotmail not supported on Curve? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=117797)

staticfiend 02-14-2008 03:19 PM

Is Hotmail not supported on Curve?

Man I've been having trouble setting up my email and I just got off the phone with AT&T and they said its not supported. This would suck as I really dont want a new email account.

aiharkness 02-14-2008 03:32 PM

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

This question comes up often and the answer I see from the people who know is that the for-fee premium version is supported for blackberry, and some of the older free accounts were grandfathered in. Other than that, Microsoft does not support free hotmail for the blackberry. As I say, this is asked a lot. Search and you will likely find more info here.

staticfiend 02-14-2008 03:38 PM

Thanks man!

takeshi 02-14-2008 08:54 PM

I don't see how the Curve specifically wouldn't support it. It's really a question of whether or not your Hotmail account will work with BIS.

ozziegn 02-14-2008 09:08 PM

the answer is quite simple. the regular (free) version of Hotmail does not support POP3. that's why it doesn't work with Blackberries.

Sith_Apprentice 02-14-2008 09:09 PM

well its not entirely that simple. SOME hotmail users can use POP3 on the free version, they created the accounts when hotmail did support POP3 (many years ago)

maliks 02-15-2008 02:18 AM

you can use email fwd option from hotmail to yahoo or any other pop accnt and able to get hotmail email on BB
its working for me

secrecyguy 02-15-2008 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maliks (Post 836293)
you can use email fwd option from hotmail to yahoo or any other pop accnt and able to get hotmail email on BB
its working for me

Last time I checked, it cost extra to have it automatically forward the e-mails for you.

Unless you had it before they charged you money for it.

crossbones 02-15-2008 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice (Post 836090)
well its not entirely that simple. SOME hotmail users can use POP3 on the free version, they created the accounts when hotmail did support POP3 (many years ago)

Nearly!!

We have found supporting this, that customers pre roughly-2002 (roughly some after this have had it working) who have used outlook to get their hotmail emails, are still able to configure it into a BIS account. I've also noticed that people who used to be on hotmail plus and have since gone back to free still have access also.

HOWEVER, we have had problems with some people who have had it configured in their BIS accounts, and have randomly stopped working, according to people who have got in touch with hotmail, and from google searching, that sometimes Microsoft will change something, or have an outage, or move the account to different servers, causing it to reset back to not being able to access it. They claim if its not paid for tough, you will have to pay for it!

So if you have accessed it remotely try it, it might work. Oh and one last thing, Hotmail has never used pop3, its alway http like outlook web access.

:)

jsconyers 02-15-2008 08:41 AM

Quote:

its working for me

This should work, however the issue here would be replying to the message.

penguin3107 02-15-2008 08:42 AM

People still use hotmail? ;-)

staticfiend 02-15-2008 08:46 AM

Ok my Hotmail account was created in 02. But I tried at least 25 times to make it work. So I paid for the Hotmail Plus account, $19.95 a year and it worked. It just sucks that I had to give Bill Gates 20 bucks to get my email on a phone he has no ties to. :x And if I didnt have this email attached to so many things I would of went to Yahoo or Gmail.

Sith_Apprentice 02-15-2008 08:56 AM

Quote:

its working for me

i just created an account yesterday and it lets you forward on the free accounts. not sure why people still use hotmail, personally Gmail is free allows pop/imap access, and has ALOT more storage.

Holz 02-15-2008 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice (Post 836421)
i just created an account yesterday and it lets you forward on the free accounts. not sure why people still use hotmail, personally Gmail is free allows pop/imap access, and has ALOT more storage.

i use hotmail because it was the first e-mail address i created after graduating from college like 11 years ago... everyone and everyone has it, so i'll always have to continually check it! i pay the 20 bucks a year, but they give you 10 gigs of storage. plus, the new windows live is growing on me... it's not that bad. doesn't gmail still scan your emails to produce certain ads on your page, or can you turn that off? that's one reason i rarely use my gmail account even if it practically "pushed" to the BB. i just don't like the idea of it, even though i'm sure hotmail does the same thing... :-o

Helmdawg 02-15-2008 08:44 PM

I have had a hotmail account for at least 7 years now. I hardly use it at this point, its a spam recepticle. I love gmail, I have no problems with ads or spam.

ezrunner 02-15-2008 09:25 PM

have had hotmail since god almost 14 years

use yahoo and gmail mostly now

my hotmail works with BIS

Jagga 02-15-2008 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice (Post 836421)

Its because of MSN messenger, sole reason - for the account id; and possibly for MS online free workshops. I use it because I can learn a few things about SQL server 2005 & 2008 (MS product).

Demographics in regards to geographic location also plays a part. US citizens I think are heavy AOL Email or Yahoo users, Canadians MSN predominantly, Europe ??

taimur 02-17-2008 08:23 AM

Hotmail is slow to access especially compared to gmail.

taimur 02-17-2008 08:24 AM

I guess hotmail is good if u r using a windows mobile device.

Sith_Apprentice 02-17-2008 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagga (Post 837385)
Its because of MSN messenger, sole reason - for the account id; and possibly for MS online free workshops. I use it because I can learn a few things about SQL server 2005 & 2008 (MS product).

Demographics in regards to geographic location also plays a part. US citizens I think are heavy AOL Email or Yahoo users, Canadians MSN predominantly, Europe ??

with windows live and yahoo partnering up, you can use your yahoo ID for most things. we really need a faq on hotmail. *goes to write one*