BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9700 Series Discussion - Bold 2 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   9780- keys 'ssstutter!' (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=240427)

torberry 11-22-2010 08:35 PM

9780- keys 'ssstutter!'

Here's the problem with my now 2nd 9780:

When it click the keys they often stutter. When I type the letter 't' for example I don't get 't', I get 'tt'. It doesn't appear to occur more frequently with any specific key either. It seems to be more of a software issue than a hardware issue. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks guys! /torberry:smile:

tsac 11-22-2010 08:39 PM

Re: 9780- keys 'ssstutter!'

did the BB get wet, in a room with a shower running or other high humidty?

snhrph 11-22-2010 08:50 PM

I completely agree with tsac, even the smallest amount of moisture can affect your bb. Check the moisture indicators on the battery and the bb chassis.

If they show any amount of red - it will not be covered by warranty. It may be covered by insurance (if you have one).

Read this thread

Got Your BlackBerry Wet? - BlackBerryFAQ

I had a similar issue with 9700 after my wife used the phone in the rain. After drying the phone thoroughly I ended up with a similar issue. It was an easy fix, I bought a keyboard membrane on ebay (dirt cheap), dis-assembly instructions are available on youtube, and 15 min later I had a perfectly working phone!!! :smile:

torberry 11-22-2010 08:53 PM

thanks for replies guys. no wetness that I am aware of but I have gotten other devices soaked and not have this prob.

this 2nd (replacement) device hasn't even seen 24 hours yet! Oh, what's a moisture indicator? Never mind, saw the link. I have a seidio battery- could that be the problem?

Also! It does stutter every time I type a word. Perhaps 10% of the time.

Any other thoughts? /torberry

tsac 11-22-2010 08:58 PM

look under the battery for a little square. If red it was wet . If white your ok and it may be a very little moisture is causing the keys to repeat. Keep in mind if you carry it in a pocket it could be body moisture also. It does not take much to cause this issue.

snhrph 11-23-2010 09:06 AM

If this is a second (replacement) bb and you only had it for a dat, then its really easy - take it back to the store where you got it...
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

torberry 11-23-2010 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snhrph (Post 1676887)
If this is a second (replacement) bb and you only had it for a dat, then its really easy - take it back to the store where you got it...

The store owner/manager nearly had a heart attack when I did the first exchange. He was deathly afraid that RIM would boot it back to him. I don't want to subject him to this stress again.

aiharkness 11-23-2010 05:12 PM

Keyboard and button malfunctions are classic symptoms of moisture. As tsac says, it doesn't take much. Sweaty pocket is a common complaint. One lady was putting her blackberry down her top when dancing. One guy apparently had any issue with condensation after taking the cooled down blackberry from an air conditioned car into the hot humid southern atmosphere.

If there's any doubt, I would go through the procedure of drying it out and see if it helps.

torberry 11-24-2010 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aiharkness (Post 1677047)
Keyboard and button malfunctions are classic symptoms of moisture. As tsac says, it doesn't take much. Sweaty pocket is a common complaint. One lady was putting her blackberry down her top when dancing. One guy apparently had any issue with condensation after taking the cooled down blackberry from an air conditioned car into the hot humid southern atmosphere.

If there's any doubt, I would go through the procedure of drying it out and see if it helps.

My berry isn't wet or moist. It's dry as a desert. Damn stutter!

mymitsu3kgt 11-25-2010 11:08 PM

I don't believe it's always from moisture. Mine did it straight out of the box. When you google the problem, many other people are also having this problem. I have found that if you speed up the key rate to Fast in Options/Typing and Input/Keyboard, the problem nearly completely goes away. Mine went away after the first day either because of changing the key rate or breaking in the keyboard.

aiharkness 11-26-2010 07:27 AM

Classic does not equal always.

wolfgaze 12-27-2010 05:42 PM

Hi, I just wanted to say my 2 week old 9780 is also experiencing this issue... It's very intermittent.... Probably happens 2-3 times a day, but I discovered this happened after my first day of use, and like the guy above, no moisture....

It's not confined to the character keys either, it happened today to me while I was typing out an email and tapped the Blackberry key to attached a picture... My email got SENT after hitting it only once....

I'm nervous about trying to exchange my phone because I'm not confident I'll receive one that isn't affected by this issue since many users are reporting it and we don't know how widespread it is, or if RIM has even acknowledged the issue and addressed it with subsequent builds of the phone....

I also paid $15 (+$5 for shipping) on a screen protector which I would need to re-order should I get a replacement phone...

dario99gst 12-29-2010 09:05 PM

I am having the same issue. I noticed it from day one and haven't done anything I didn't do with my 9700.

It really bothers me most when it does it with the space bar. It ends my sentences in the middle and capitalizes words that shouldn't be.

wolfgaze 12-31-2010 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dario99gst (Post 1689274)
I am having the same issue. I noticed it from day one and haven't done anything I didn't do with my 9700.

It really bothers me most when it does it with the space bar. It ends my sentences in the middle and capitalizes words that shouldn't be.

Remove your battery and look at the white label underneath, does it say the build of your phone? Mine says MEXICO 1... What does yours say?

Bonka 12-31-2010 07:13 PM

Mine also does this randomly and is a Mexico 4 unit. Funny enough, the repeat issue seemed to pop up after my exchange period ran out - how convenient. I still think a firmware update should be able to fix this but who knows it happens too intermittently to really annoy me...at the moment. I'm not sure if it's coincidental since I've noticed it exclusively on the .359 update, as I don't remember happening nearly as much (or at all) on the factory .285 firmware.

dario99gst 01-02-2011 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfgaze (Post 1689801)
Remove your battery and look at the white label underneath, does it say the build of your phone? Mine says MEXICO 1... What does yours say?

Mine says MEXICO 1 too. Do you think it has something to do with where they were built?

ubizmo 01-06-2011 11:07 AM

I got my 9780 on the T-Mobile release date in November. I experienced this double key entry problem infrequently, and mainly with the space bar. Since then, it has gradually gotten worse. The device hasn't been exposed to any unusual wet conditions other than normal ambient humidity. I carry it in a case, in a pocket. It hasn't been dropped.

ubizmo 01-06-2011 06:21 PM

Update: I got the replacement phone today, and it has a worse stutter than the original. I'm sending it back tomorrow.