BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Engineering use only BB - any different from for sale BB? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=236078)

a.petrov 09-16-2010 03:23 AM

Engineering use only BB - any different from for sale BB?

Hi, I just bought an engineering use only BB 9105.

The seller thought it was not worthwhile mentioning, but does anyone know what are the differences between the for sale versions and mine?

Will I be able to activate BB services on it?
Will I be able to take it to the service centre should something go wrong with it?
What else?

many thanks!

Dubdub 09-16-2010 11:29 AM

Most likely the PIN has been disabled so you can't activate any BB services, just voice and SMS, maybe. And there is no guarantee those will work either.

My guess is you are on your own if anything goes wrong, especially since it isn't branded by your carrier.

a.petrov 09-16-2010 03:20 PM

Can I somehow check if it is pin locked? is there a number in UK to call? I have received it yesterday and noticed that when I switch it on/off a small message appears about it being for engineering purposes only not for sale or lease.

the ebay seller did not mentioned this :(

the voice and sms work though, I am wondering if there is any warranty from RIM on such a device and whether it will activate with RIM services when I will need that...

Iare Tosevite 09-16-2010 03:32 PM

I think it allows unsigned applications to run, and are by default unlocked, but don't quote me.

Dubdub 09-16-2010 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a.petrov (Post 1655520)
Can I somehow check if it is pin locked? is there a number in UK to call? I have received it yesterday and noticed that when I switch it on/off a small message appears about it being for engineering purposes only not for sale or lease.

the voice and sms work though, I am wondering if there is any warranty from RIM on such a device and whether it will activate with RIM services when I will need that...

If I were you, I would return it and get your money back.

In any case, without a PIN, it will be very limited in what it can do. At least voice and SMS appear to work. As I said above, with no PIN you cannot get any of the RIM/BB services such as email, BBM, Facebook, the BB browser, maps, etc.

There would be no warranty whatsoever, since all warranty support is provided by the carrier, not RIM.

AFAIK, with no PIN, you cannot get an unlock code either.

MidnightDraven 09-16-2010 04:24 PM

If the seller mentions this NO WHERE in the item description and refuses to take it back, complain to ebay as it is a violation under "Item not as described" You should at least get your money back then.

akosnitzky 09-16-2010 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a.petrov (Post 1655520)

Buying a BlackBerry off eBay - BlackBerryFAQ

a.petrov 09-16-2010 06:49 PM

but how do I check if the device is pin locked or not?

Dubdub 09-16-2010 07:09 PM

Is their a PIN listed in the "About" section, on the bx it came in or on the white label under the battery? Ask the seller for it.

To activate, you need an IMEI and a PIN.

a.petrov 09-17-2010 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubdub (Post 1655594)
Is their a PIN listed in the "About" section, on the bx it came in or on the white label under the battery? Ask the seller for it.

To activate, you need an IMEI and a PIN.

yes, there is a PIN and IMEI in the options->status...

Dubdub 09-17-2010 06:03 AM

Call the carrier and give them the info and ask to activate the device with a BB data plan. If it is clean, then they do it. If not, they can't.

a.petrov 09-17-2010 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubdub (Post 1655691)
Call the carrier and give them the info and ask to activate the device with a BB data plan. If it is clean, then they do it. If not, they can't.

Thank you for bearing with me...

I did call the provider already (ASDA Mobile in the UK) they said they do not provide BB services.

I am studying at the moment so this PAYG provider suits me best, but I would like to know now that when I will need BB services (when I start working) they will work.

Also tried to connect to internet through wi-fi - no luck. I mean I connected to the wi-fi router, but the browser would not load any pages...do I need to have bb services activated in order to use wi-fi? or something called "service books"?

Dubdub 09-17-2010 02:45 PM

You need a BB data plan to get the service books for WiFi as well as all the other RIM related services. As it is, all you have is phone and SMS.

What do I need a Data Plan for? - BlackBerryFAQ

As for checking, I explained what you need to do. Since your carrier does not support the BB, then there is not much else to do.

BUT, IMHO, return the device and get your money back. You are asking for trouble and problems by keeping it.

a.petrov 09-17-2010 02:48 PM

Many thanks for your help!

homermalaluan 01-05-2011 02:31 AM

Re: Engineering use only BB - any different from for sale BB?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubdub (Post 1655533)
If I were you, I would return it and get your money back.

In any case, without a PIN, it will be very limited in what it can do. At least voice and SMS appear to work. As I said above, with no PIN you cannot get any of the RIM/BB services such as email, BBM, Facebook, the BB browser, maps, etc.

There would be no warranty whatsoever, since all warranty support is provided by the carrier, not RIM.

AFAIK, with no PIN, you cannot get an unlock code either.

Mine works fine.. I can use App World, Browser, the BIS, I can push email, I can download apps from AppWorld and the normal activity of a BlackBerry device. The only problem is that my BBM Icon is missing.

My question is, can I upgrade the OS of my device?? By the way, I'm using BB Storm 2 9520.

dc/dc 01-05-2011 03:06 AM

Re: Engineering use only BB - any different from for sale BB?

Quote:

Originally Posted by homermalaluan (Post 1690979)
Mine works fine.. I can use App World, Browser, the BIS, I can push email, I can download apps from AppWorld and the normal activity of a BlackBerry device. The only problem is that my BBM Icon is missing.

My question is, can I upgrade the OS of my device?? By the way, I'm using BB Storm 2 9520.

There's no need to post twice in unrelated threads.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/1690978-post12.html