BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Sensitive Discussions (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   President Obama and Evolution (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=172128)

mriff 02-13-2009 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2 Samuel 22 (Post 1284764)
Sadly, narcissism and entitlement run rampant these days, especially in the younger generations. Humility is a very rare thing today. The scientific community is no exception. We should never see ourselves as wise in our own eyes. There will always be some undiscovered truth or knowledge in life that eludes us. We would be foolish to think otherwise.

This, my friend, is what drives science. And you are the recipient, daily, of the advances made by scientists.
Quote:

Regardless of what you believe, in the end, when you die, the truth shall be revealed. Someone will be wrong, and someone will be right. One of them will have much more to regret than the other.
As has been stated many times in this thread, believing in God and understanding evolution to be true are not mutually exclusive.

mriff 02-13-2009 07:36 PM

And really, there's no arguing with YEC's. I can't say anything or do anything or show you any reference that you will not immediatly run from. You study evolution not to understand, only to undermine. Albeit unsuccessfully. You don't trust that biologists do anything right. You don't trust the very foundation of all life sciences. Yet you still go to the doctor asking for antibiotics. Makes no sense to me.

But I'm always curious about the dinosaur thing. Just how do you explain it?

test54 02-13-2009 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 1284751)
One must strive for excellence test. The global demand for advances in technology demand it. Your methods will only lead to mediocrity.

that justification is dangerous though, its a slippery slope in most cases.

test54 02-13-2009 10:08 PM

Quote:

Passionate debates and discussions are a good thing, provided that it remains civil and you come to some sort of conclusion, closure, or agreement. Even if it's to agree to disagree.

amen, to remain civil is the key to any good debate. in these issues people very rarely change their beliefs so its in the way you present your opinion that matters.

mriff 02-13-2009 10:09 PM

Wirelessly posted

I'd say it's a slippery slope in very very few cases.

test54 02-13-2009 10:13 PM

when it comes to religion & science the emotions can make it that way I think. Granted its usually the Religious people killing the scientists but it could go both ways.

djm2 02-14-2009 10:13 AM

Quote:

There will always be some undiscovered truth or knowledge in life that eludes us. We would be foolish to think otherwise.

That is what drives science -- to be able to uncover the next set of fundamental axioms that take existing knowledge and explains it, but all the while adding the unique twist that takes scientific exploration to an entirely new level. Much like the Theory of Relativity explains all of Newtonian Physics as an ancillary proposition but adds new dimensions to explore.

It is also relevant to point out that the undiscovered truths -- and humility in the face of those truths -- is where the scientists that I know who profess great faith resolve the conflict that some assume exists between science and faith.

JSanders 02-14-2009 11:08 AM

Quote:

Regardless of what you believe, in the end, when you die, the truth shall be revealed. Someone will be wrong, and someone will be right. One of them will have much more to regret than the other.

So true.

For that reason alone, erring on the side of caution is wise. I'll be there.

JSanders 02-14-2009 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 1284748)
Your contributions to the thread are for the most part, meaningless. Which is strange to me JSanders, as you seem like a very bright guy. But you have contributed absolutely nothing to the debate. Except gibberish.

Just wow. So rude.

Well, after all you did start this thread.

For one who goes to such great lengths for others to notice your great intelligence, you simply do have very little tolerance for others' beliefs and principles. To reduce my few posts in this thread to "gibberish" and "meaningless" is just intolerant (I'm not surprised).

test54 02-14-2009 12:14 PM

intolerance on both sides really.

Adn 2 Samuel 22 & JSanders - regret after death implies that the person thinks that there is something after death. Its hard to have regret if there is no afterlife. I do agree though its better to be on the safe side but thats hardly a good basis for one's faith.

but all this is based on one's faith which is different for every person.

JSanders 02-14-2009 12:50 PM

Oh, it is certainly not the reason for me, it just might be a just reasoning for others.

mriff 02-14-2009 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSanders (Post 1285260)
Just wow. So rude.

Well, after all you did start this thread.

For one who goes to such great lengths for others to notice your great intelligence, you simply do have very little tolerance for others' beliefs and principles. To reduce my few posts in this thread to "gibberish" and "meaningless" is just intolerant (I'm not surprised).

I could go back and collect all your contributions. I certainly don't have a corner on rudeness in this thead. Go back yourself and you'll see that you have been quite rude on occasion.

And I have all the tolerance in the world. Just bring something to the debate that I can review. That's all I'm asking.

mriff 02-14-2009 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSanders (Post 1285260)
For one who goes to such great lengths for others to notice your great intelligence, you simply do have very little tolerance for others' beliefs and principles.

And forgive me, I really don't know what this means. Did I study my ass of in college in life sciences? Yes, I did. I know a little about the subject. And enjoy the debate. I just didn't know I was going to great lengths to show it.

JSanders 02-14-2009 01:58 PM

I guess if you consider being reminded that you are a liberal and being told you are intolerant, rude, then yes I have been rude. Perhaps you should look in the mirror and both get some thicker skin.

But, no, I don't humility is your greatst asset.

mriff 02-14-2009 02:27 PM

Liberal I'm not. I'm not sure where you get that. I really don't.

And I think you mean perhaps we should look in the mirror.

Anyway, sorry to you JSanders if I've offended. This is a topic that I've spent a lot of time studying. I do enjoy debating this topic. But it is a topic that can get sidetracked very quickly as has been shown in this thread many times.

mriff 02-14-2009 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSanders (Post 1285397)
But, no, I don't humility is your greatst asset.

It's interesting that you say this. If we met for beers and spoke for a while, you would understand that this is not true. In most of my endeavors in life, humility is central. For instance, if we were to debate the inner workings of a blackberry? You would kick my ass. :smile: If we were to debate what it takes to start and maintain a business? You would again kick my ass. I'm not good at a lot of things. I'm good at a couple. That has served me well so far.

test54 02-14-2009 03:52 PM

believing in science has nothing at all with being Liberal or Conservative.

Jsanders, you really shouldn't throw stones....if you know the saying.

mriff 02-14-2009 04:44 PM

Obama giving some love to science and Charles Darwin. Goes along with the the original post.

YouTube - Barack Obama On Science And Charles Darwin

test54 02-14-2009 04:54 PM

FORA.tv - Neil deGrasse Tyson: The Pluto Files

good and relevant video of a speech by Neil deGrasse Tyson about Scientific funding.

djm2 02-14-2009 05:09 PM

The local NPR affiliate just did a replay of a show from this week on Darwin and evolution. Good stuff and discussion.