BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BlackBerry On Non-RIM Hardware (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   BlackBerry on a Treo (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=3372)

T-Roy 02-14-2005 04:41 PM

BlackBerry on a Treo

http://blog.treonauts.com/2005/02/blackberry_conn.html

Says its in Final Beta with some screenshots.

guinda35 02-14-2005 04:56 PM

Those are pretty small keys on the Treo. It looks like you have to be a surgeon to handle them. Can you type as easily on a Treo as you can on a Berry with a full keyboard?

Tom 02-14-2005 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guinda35
Those are pretty small keys on the Treo. It looks like you have to be a surgeon to handle them. Can you type as easily on a Treo as you can on a Berry with a full keyboard?

No you cant, I have tried and it sucks.

The keys arent very well placed either.

Talldog 02-15-2005 08:17 AM

Quote:

I own both a Treo 600 and a 7290, and while the BB keyboard is better, the Treo works surprisingly well. I think it's because of the way they curved the keys. I prefer the 7290 keyboard, but I can type almost as fast on the Treo, and my experience is not unique.

tankee531 02-15-2005 09:37 AM

a Treo650 with BB is certaintly attractive !

guinda35 02-15-2005 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tankee531

Why is that? Why not go with the real thing instead?

tankee531 02-15-2005 07:30 PM

Treo is still more a pda than a blackberry and the later's strength is in the push-mail.

mchiu 03-02-2005 02:23 AM

bb or treo

Does anyone know is blackberry or treo better?

Talldog 03-02-2005 06:34 AM

Re: bb or treo

Quote:

Originally Posted by mchiu

It all depends on what you want. IMO, Treo is a better PDA and phone. BlackBerry is a better email device.

sempai 03-02-2005 09:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tankee531

Why is that? Why not go with the real thing instead?

The hundreds of thousands of titles in the Palm OS software library?

blkberryboy 03-02-2005 09:39 AM

mchiu wrote:

That is like asking if food or water is more important for survival.

The TREO600/650 is attractive to a vast number of people who are use to the PalmOS platform. I for one am looking for a break from the Palm, but people like what they like. The BB's for what it is and what it does is slowly gaining momentum as well as market share.

So when asking is one better, you have to realize it is a total matter of opinion.

Besides what do you think the anwser will be posing the question on a BlackBerry forum... :wink:

kirson 03-02-2005 05:30 PM

As far as I can tell, the two main reasons to stick with the Blackberry are:

1. Push Email Service: simple, integrated, always on, no brainpower needed to activate, rock solid (although you can get close to similar end result on Treo, but it requires lots and lots of brain damage); and

2. Opearting System: rock solid, never crashes, never erases, never causes data loss, never requires reinstallation of anything (in general, a skinny little basic OS -- extremely limited compared to Palm, but infinitely more stable).

For just about anything else I'd go with the Treo 600/650 (Phone, PIM, Applications, Functionality, and on and on and on). Actually, to be fair, I would seriously consider the Blue Angel line of Pocket PC Phones -- it's a toss up between the SX66 and the Treo 650. In the past I would add that the screen, keyboard, and battery life on the Blackberry was infinitely better as well -- but alas, with the advent of the 7100 we lost the edge on all three of those fronts. Don't get me wrong -- I like my 7100t -- but screen, keyboard and battery life are no longer advantages.

MobileRC 03-19-2005 11:41 PM

Agreed with the person above me.

Also what most people dont take into consideration is support and warranty issues. I have had to send 1 blackberry back to RIM for about 10 treos I have had to send back RIM gets me one with 48 hrs and the person is in Canada and speaks english.

I call Palm and speak to someone in India that hardly speaks english it takes 45 minutes for them to understand they need to send a new one and they wont without a credit card and then it takes over a month to get a replacement unit.

plus install, maintenance, security... for the most time I find it hard to meet customers needs with a treo. The only way is if they specifically say they need a palmOS but I tell them if they run into trouble with it that I will do my best to help them but to realize it will be a long and frustrating and not to mention productivity hindering experience.

gregg 03-20-2005 06:34 AM

I agree, the Palm experience in India is absolutely horrible. Very frustrating to spend 5 minutes just getting them to comprehend your serial # let alone troubleshoot.....

rambo47 03-20-2005 12:01 PM

Strictly personal preferences:

Better phone: Treo
External storage: Treo
Better software selection: Treo
Camera: Treo, just barely! (the Treo's camera is so bad it barely counts as one)
Better email: Blackberry
Better calander: Blackberry
Better contacts list: Blackberry
Better SMS: Blackberry

A lot changed with the Blackberry OS 4 upgrade. Viewing pictures and other attachments (like spreadsheets) was one major reason I was flip-flopping between my Treo 600 and Blackberry 7730. Now the Blackberry handles them with aplomb! I find the overwhelming advantage in sheer number of software titles the Treo enjoys really doesn't mean anything to me. With IM for Blackberry (I'm using the free T-Mobile version from another BB model) the last thing I couldn't get for my 'berry is now a done deal. The way the Blackberry works is certainly unique and takes some getting used to if you are coming over from a different platform. But once you get used to that little scroll wheel you start to wonder when the Treos will encorporate one, it works so well.

I thought I would go back to the Treo platform with the release of the 650, but I find it quite dissapointing. The same old crappy camera, virtually unusable on my 600, no WiFi that I hoped for, and the memory issues. Look at the TreoCentral forums and the number of complaints for bugs (constant resetting, anyone?) makes me glad to have a Blackberry instead. My only complaint about a missing feature on the Blackberry is the lack of a SD slot. Yeah, I know all about the Blackberry general philosophy about security, and how so many customers are government agencies and simply can't have a device with memory cards, but why not a model for us civvies with the option for a built in memory card? I'm gonna whine about the SD card slot thing until they put one in, or something better comes along.

NJBlackBerry 03-20-2005 12:08 PM

rambo47 - I completely agree with your post (except for the SD memory slot, but that is a preference). I wanted to love the Treo 600. And now it sits under my desk in the pile of unused PDAs. Too unstable. Too crappy.

One other thing for people to remember - when the BlackBerry Connect software does appear, it will offer push e-mail onto these devices, but it does not replace the e-mail client. So if you have a crappy, bug filled device (not that I am picking on the Treo, OK, I am), all this will do is give you push e-mail down to the same old buggy software.

Don't expect to see Suretype on a Nokia phone. Tap tap tap....

MobileRC 03-20-2005 12:40 PM

Treo has potential but just waaaay too unstable. blackberry on the other hand I cant complain.

rambo47 04-03-2005 07:02 PM

The big advangate of the Treo, IMHO, is the vast software selection available. After all, the Palm platform has been out there for what, 10+ years?! Blackberries have just recently gone mainstream and look at the explosion of software we're seeing.

Also take note of RIM's desire to cater to the mainstream user. Incorporating bluetooth is a great start, as is expanding the internal memory of units from 16MB to 32 MB. Yeah, still anemic by smart phone standards, but its a first step. I think that if we persevere through these growing pains and relatively minor missteps we'll be using the premier mobile platform in one or two years. Some say we're using it right now, but my point is that in a couple of years, watch out!

headtailgrep 04-06-2005 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregg
I agree, the Palm experience in India is absolutely horrible. Very frustrating to spend 5 minutes just getting them to comprehend your serial # let alone troubleshoot.....

A-men brothah. Although the techs in Bangloor, India are very polite and kind, they can't do anything other than regurgitate what Palm allows them to .. anything out of the ordinary and they are powerless, and all due to the fact Palm won't give them control..

i prefer Blackberries, but support a couple of Treo's.. the Blackberry connect for the Treo may allow me to finally get BES in my environment here..

tankee531 04-06-2005 11:17 PM

so when will BB connect for Treo be available? any insider's leak? :)