BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   GPS & Mapping (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Satnav for bold nav4all or any better? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=203143)

ihmedia 09-03-2009 03:05 PM

Satnav for bold nav4all or any better?

Hi

i have nav4all on my bold and i dont find it very good, its got me lost many times and its slow to update after each event.

And it takes ages to lock to the satalite, is that the bold hardware or this software?

Im about to give up and buy a tom tom, or should i get some alternative software?

Any advice would be great before i spend at halfords!

JSanders 09-03-2009 03:17 PM

TeleNav is the best there is, absolutely great and spot on.

ihmedia 09-03-2009 03:30 PM

forgot to say in the uk on orange, is telenav ok for uk use?

jimn367 09-03-2009 03:39 PM

I have been trying Garmin. Pretty good. However IMO no Blackberry solution is as good as a decent dedicated device. Adequate/Good Enough - Yes.

My experience is the GPS processing isn't quite as good on BB apps [in comparison to a dedicated device]

For example Garmin [on the BB] calculates my vehicle speed. It is close [+/-2 mph], but it doesn't update as often as my Navigon. My dedicated Nav device (NAVIGON) is dead nuts accurate.

It takes a little longer to recognize that I am deviating from recommended route and start a route re-calculate. In addition, that re-calculation takes a little longer.

On the plus side the Garmin software is integrated with the phone and you can look things up like weather, up to date restaraunt listings, etc.

On the negative side:
- No signal for the phone, no navigation. Mothership is required
- Phone calls interrupt the nav and you might miss a turn
- I suspect just receiving e-mails also hinders processing behind the scenes, but no proof

Overall I liked the Garmin app. It would make an excellent business travel companion. [but I still plan on bringing my Navigon with me]

JSanders 09-03-2009 03:40 PM

Oh yea, very good there.

TeleNav -- Always Find Your Way

craig3010 09-03-2009 04:16 PM

Wirelessly posted (Bold 9000, answers to HAL)

http://www.amAzeGPS.com is good, and FREE. Not sure if it works in the UK or not.

MikeLip 09-03-2009 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimn367 (Post 1464898)
I have been trying Garmin. Pretty good. However IMO no Blackberry solution is as good as a decent dedicated device. Adequate/Good Enough - Yes.

This is dead on. The big advantage to the on-phone GPS is that you will always have it with you. But compared to a dedicated GPS, it kinda sucks. I have used all the solutions and have Garmin and Telenav on the Curve - they work OK. But even compared to my old Magellan 4040 they are not very good navigation tools.

ihmedia 09-04-2009 04:11 AM

I have now setup telenav and on my journey to the office (only 5 miles) it couldnt get a sigble on the gps.

are there any gps settings to adjust? this seems to be my main problem with any software i try.

takeshi 09-04-2009 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSanders (Post 1464884)
TeleNav is the best there is, absolutely great and spot on.

+1 for Telenav. I've relied on it for thousands of miles.

JSanders 09-04-2009 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihmedia (Post 1465163)
I have now setup telenav and on my journey to the office (only 5 miles) it couldnt get a sigble on the gps.

are there any gps settings to adjust? this seems to be my main problem with any software i try.

Make certain that you in an area of good signal coverage AND outside with a clear view of the sky in an open area of no tall buildings.

Click Options > Advanced > GPS > Menu > Refresh GPS.

Give it up to 10 minutes to refresh, and try 2-3 times in a row.

Also, read this:

View Document

adamlau 10-21-2009 04:05 AM

I just ditched TeleNav for Garmin Mobile this month, both of which I had been using for the past two years. TN has more detailed maps, clearer voice commands and website sync capabilities. GM has a more accessible UI with its use of screen scaled form controls and fonts and superior search (Google Search). Both were prone to misrouting, though GM was clearly more accurate in and around Los Angeles. After two solid years using both, that was the deciding factor for me: Accuracy in and around the region where I work and play. YMMV, of course.

baccess 11-25-2009 06:32 PM

Telenav is good, if it fits your needs, but you can buy a decent dedicated device for the price of it's monthly fees of a year or so. (and pay for the updates the next year, or decide not to).

For me, many times I find I need gps mapping data where there is no cell signal, so the internet based applications aren't very useful in my case. My experience has been that most people never travel outside the metro areas, so they don't see this as a problem for them.

I'm surprised that it's almost 2010 and we don't see a major gps company providing the all the data to be placed on the device microsd. They could charge the price of the dedicated device and cut out the hardware expense to themselves. They could then lock it to one device at a time and make at least as much $ if not more.