BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Sensitive Discussions (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   President Obama and Evolution (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=172128)

mriff 09-09-2011 02:39 PM

Re: President Obama and Evolution

Here's another couple links about the new find.

Hominid fossils may shake up theories on human evolution | | The Bulletin

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/09/sc...09fossils.html

Edit: The NYT article is actually quite good. Check it out.

mriff 09-09-2011 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djm2 (Post 1743335)
The problem with reading about it in the mainstream press as opposed to Science (I allowed my membership to lapse some time ago) is that you get the information so intertwined with the politics and theology of the matter that there are too many distractions.

True. But I've trained myself to skip over the dumb sh*t that dumb sh*t reporters say. It doesn't even phase me anymore which is kind of sad.

mriff 09-09-2011 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djm2 (Post 1743335)
The problem with reading about it in the mainstream press as opposed to Science (I allowed my membership to lapse some time ago) is that you get the information so intertwined with the politics and theology of the matter that there are too many distractions.

And I let my membership lapse a while ago too. I miss getting the journal/magazine. I really should get signed up again.

mriff 09-09-2011 02:59 PM

Ok, the Science article describing the new species can be had for free. All you have to do is register on the site. I've got it printed out and ready for the next plane trip.

You can find it here:

Science Magazine: Sign In

Soapm 09-09-2011 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM (Post 1739288)
I am now dealing with an uncle with dementia. If this is Intelligent Design then I want to protest. My mother died last year in September with dementia and I question the sanity of someone who claims that humans are the result of Intelligent Design.

I think either the person in question needs to have a piss test for drugs or a complete mental exam. Something is seriously wrong with him. There is a place in Austin for people with severe mental disorders and it ain't the capital building.

You mean there is ANOTHER place that isn't the capitol building... ;-)

mriff 09-12-2011 02:05 PM

Got this article printed and ready to read on the plane next week.

The Missing Link Fallacy

mriff 09-12-2011 02:10 PM

Some interesting reading here:

Your thoughts on evolution xxx8211; Light Years - CNN.com Blogs

This is one of the comments.

Bernhardt - Evolution is crap. Random processes NEVER result in the formation of genetic 'upgrades'. Does your computer upgrade itself from a random number generator ? I think not. ALL genetic upgrades in any species are the result of the active spiritual mentation of the GODHEAD. Your computer is only upgraded when you link to a site that does it or install it via a flashdrive, cd-rom etc. Why is this so hard to understand ? Why try to degrade God by calling him ' an intelligent adaptive force called evolution '. What a crock. Science is only a description of lab results documented by arrogant humanoids. It is incomplete and never will embrace the whole of life as it is and its spiritual reality. A society led by Godless 'scientists' is the blind leading the blind. A useless pile of crap. Useless eaters consuming their environment. I chose God and Life. So can you.

With a very simple, very common sense reply:

NJBob - If you understood how evolution works, you'd realize that random mutations do not result in genetic "upgrades", but selection does. Selection is not random!

TBOLTRAM 09-12-2011 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soapm (Post 1743375)
You mean there is ANOTHER place that isn't the capitol building... ;-)

The state mental hospital is a bit north of UT Austin. By the way my uncle died from his dementia a week ago. Even in his worst moments I think he was more with it than RP.

mriff 09-25-2011 06:33 PM

Well, check out what our lamebrain Lt. Governor says about evolution in this recent speech. Hit it about minute 4:30.

Jennifer Carroll's fire and brimstone - YouTube

[Florida Lt. Gov. Jennifer] Carroll, in her fire-and-brimstone speech on Thursday, spoke disparagingly of how “some of our political leaders bow down to scientists and let them have the stage to push their evolution.” She made it plenty clear that the coming Republican revolution would no longer allow “the minority to poison the minds of the majority.”

(n)

mriff 09-25-2011 06:41 PM

For Republican candidates, politics trump science - Fred Grimm - MiamiHerald.com

djm2 09-26-2011 10:01 AM

Nice piece from Mr. Grimm -- thanks for posting the link.

Straw poll in FL was a bit of an upset.

mriff 09-26-2011 11:31 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed that very practical look at science and politics.

And yes, quite the upset. Ironic that it was a straw poll for craziness. The most crazy got the most votes. Not sure about how Perry is going to do going forward. He's taking some hits lately. He's vulnerable.

TBOLTRAM 09-26-2011 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 1746623)
I thoroughly enjoyed that very practical look at science and politics.

And yes, quite the upset. Ironic that it was a straw poll for craziness. The most crazy got the most votes. Not sure about how Perry is going to do going forward. He's taking some hits lately. He's vulnerable.

What makes you think the GOP at this point is going forward? That, my friend, is a bad assumption.

mriff 09-26-2011 03:34 PM

Good point TBOLT! I think regressing is a better world. Unfortunately.

TBOLTRAM 09-26-2011 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 1746658)
Good point TBOLT! I think regressing is a better world. Unfortunately.

I think de-evolving is a better term. Another couple of months and we will find the missing links.

jsconyers 10-04-2011 11:33 AM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net..._6163279_n.jpg

mriff 10-04-2011 07:54 PM

hahaha!

djm2 12-09-2011 11:35 AM

More on the psychological side of the world, but with some interesting implications relevant to evolutionary science.

Helping your fellow rat: Rodents show empathy-driven behavior, evidence suggests

mriff 12-09-2011 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djm2 (Post 1758723)
More on the psychological side of the world, but with some interesting implications relevant to evolutionary science.

Helping your fellow rat: Rodents show empathy-driven behavior, evidence suggests

I love reading about these kinds of experiments. It must be pretty cool as a grad student, to sit around and design this stuff. And I guess I'm not at all surprised by the results. Showing empathy is a very basic behavior that has clear benefits of aiding survival of a population. Distress in an individual quickly disperses among a group of subjects. Like what happens when my wife is not happy, then none of the rest of us around the house are. :smile:

djm2 12-10-2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 1758732)
I love reading about these kinds of experiments. It must be pretty cool as a grad student, to sit around and design this stuff. And I guess I'm not at all surprised by the results. Showing empathy is a very basic behavior that has clear benefits of aiding survival of a population. Distress in an individual quickly disperses among a group of subjects. Like what happens when my wife is not happy, then none of the rest of us around the house are. :smile:

Isn't that the truth -- SWMBO kind of rules the roost in that regard!