BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Sensitive Discussions (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   President Obama and Evolution (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=172128)

kathrynhr 10-29-2009 12:41 PM

mriff, when I saw this on reddit this afternoon, I immediately thought of you and of this thread:

Darwin and culture : Article : Nature

djm2 10-29-2009 03:06 PM

Nice find. (y)

mriff 10-29-2009 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathrynhr (Post 1497696)
mriff, when I saw this on reddit this afternoon, I immediately thought of you and of this thread:

Darwin and culture : Article : Nature

Nice. Kind of hits home doesn't it? I really liked the first paragraph. Thanks for posting Kathryn. (y)

The public reception of scientific ideas depends largely on two factors: people's ability to grasp factual information and the cultural lens through which that information is filtered. The former is what scientists tend to focus on when they give popular accounts of issues such as climate change. The assumption is that if they explain things very, very clearly, everyone will understand. Unfortunately, this is an uphill battle. The general public's average capacity to weigh facts and numbers is notoriously poor although there is encouraging evidence that probabilistic reasoning can be improved by targeted education early in life

mriff 11-03-2009 07:19 AM

This is the kind of stuff that really drives me crazy. He goes off on what can only be described as a rant. Then at the end of his story, he admits to not being an expert on evolution. This is the clown that, along with Kirk Cameron, will hand out copies of 'On the Origin of Species' with his own forward on why evolution doesn't occur.

So my question is, why would US News and World Report give this guy any ink?

Ray Comfort Responds to Genie Scott on Creationist 'Origin of Species' - God & Country (usnews.com)

mriff 11-03-2009 10:40 AM

In case anyone else is interested.

"The Making of the Fittest: Natural Selection and the DNA... - Eventbrite

I doubt Ray Comfort will be joining in.

djm2 11-03-2009 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 1500300)
This is the kind of stuff that really drives me crazy. He goes off on what can only be described as a rant. Then at the end of his story, he admits to not being an expert on evolution. This is the clown that, along with Kirk Cameron, will hand out copies of 'On the Origin of Species' with his own forward on why evolution doesn't occur.

So my question is, why would US News and World Report give this guy any ink?

Ray Comfort Responds to Genie Scott on Creationist 'Origin of Species' - God & Country (usnews.com)

Mriff, the cynic in me says that the reason they're giving him some press is to sell magazines. The internet has killed the news magazines, and they will do just about anything to get noticed in today's world. They are no longer concerned with presenting the facts; they are concerned with survival.

kathrynhr 11-03-2009 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djm2 (Post 1500454)
Mriff, the cynic in me says that the reason they're giving him some press is to sell magazines. The internet has killed the news magazines, and they will do just about anything to get noticed in today's world. They are no longer concerned with presenting the facts; they are concerned with survival.

Agreed, although I'd say the reason about 90% of news sources exist is to sell themselves, as opposed to news delivery. We need only look at the ratio of gossip/speculation to fact in most "news" stories to see this.

I want to know what a "traditional fossil" is, and if it implies the existence of non-traditional fossils. :-)

djm2 11-03-2009 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathrynhr (Post 1500524)
Agreed, although I'd say the reason about 90% of news sources exist is to sell themselves, as opposed to news delivery. We need only look at the ratio of gossip/speculation to fact in most "news" stories to see this.

I want to know what a "traditional fossil" is, and if it implies the existence of non-traditional fossils. :-)

Well, you make a very good point there.

Jimx 11-09-2009 12:59 PM

Thanks mriff, these are all excellent articles.

mriff 11-09-2009 04:52 PM

You're quite welcome!

mriff 11-09-2009 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 1500411)
In case anyone else is interested.

"The Making of the Fittest: Natural Selection and the DNA... - Eventbrite

I doubt Ray Comfort will be joining in.

I was able to join this webinar a few nights ago. It was very interesting. Sean Carroll is the author of several very good books on evolutionary development. I've read two of them. They are written for the lay person and have won quite a few awards. One of them it titled 'Endless Forms Most Beautiful, the New Science of Evo Devo'. I would suggest this to anyone who is interested in this subject.

There are additional webinars upcoming. You can see what's happening on Darwin150.com.

kathrynhr 11-24-2009 08:35 AM

Here you go, mriff!

Obama kicks off massive science education effort! | Bad Astronomy | Discover Magazine

(y)

kathrynhr 11-24-2009 10:56 AM

And this, which is even more compelling:

Darwin and the case for 'militant atheism' - CNN.com

Quote:

Dawkins argues that there is no doubt that Darwin's theory of evolution by natural selection is true and, unlike some other scholars of the subject, says belief in evolution is not compatible with faith in religion. In fact, he argues, science and religion undermine each other.
I disagree completely with this point, but I enjoyed reading his point of view.

mriff 11-24-2009 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathrynhr (Post 1514164)

Really nice. Thanks for posting. I must say that I completely agree. I just hope it's not too late. I have three children in public school here in Florida and I can say that education in science leaves something to be desired. Four years of language arts and social studies are required for graduation, yet only three of science and oddly enough math. Much of the technology sector (that both you and I work in) that has been so successful is dependent on good science and technology education. But as far as I can tell, we are lagging behind other developed countries.

This is a step in the right direction. (y)

mriff 11-24-2009 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathrynhr (Post 1514280)
And this, which is even more compelling:

Darwin and the case for 'militant atheism' - CNN.com

I disagree completely with this point, but I enjoyed reading his point of view.

Wow. He is militant in his atheism. I don't think this is productive to the overall debate. I have his new book on my to do list. I've read much of his past body of work. I think he's a very good writer and can explain evolution in ways that are easily understandable. But he's a polarizing figure.

In the grand scheme of things though, it's only natural that there are those who think like Dawkins. He represents one end of a scale in which young earth creationists/strict belief in Genesis occupy the other end. And the vast majority of people are somewhere on the scale other than those two ends. Even most of those that believe in evolution.

Interesting read nonetheless. Thanks for posting!

mriff 11-24-2009 07:23 PM

I completely support this effort! Now my children can not only learn the concepts from me, but from their teacher as well.

Why Evolution Should Be Taught to Younger Kids | Newsweek Life | Newsweek.com

mriff 11-26-2009 07:49 AM

An interesting article.

Valerie Tarico: When Science Teachers Don't Believe In Evolution

mriff 12-16-2009 05:38 AM

I call BS! I can still get down. Figuratively speaking of course. 8-)

'Dad dancing' may be the result of evolution, scientists claim - Telegraph

kathrynhr 12-16-2009 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 1528526)
I call BS! I can still get down. Figuratively speaking of course. 8-)

'Dad dancing' may be the result of evolution, scientists claim - Telegraph

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 1528526)
Men between the ages of 35 and 60 typically attempt complex moves with limited co-ordination xxx8211; an observation that will be obvious to anyone who saw George W Bush shake his stuff with a troupe of West African performers in 2007.

Dr Dad pointed to research showing that women could gauge the testosterone levels of their dance partners by the style and energy of their moves, and suggested that "dad dancing" may be a way of warning women of child-bearing age that they might be better off looking elsewhere.

"It would seem completely unsurprising to me that since middle-aged men have passed their natural reproductive age, and probably have a family already, evolution would act to ensure they are no longer attractive to 18-year-old girls," Dr Dad said.

"It's like an apple that is going brown xxx8211; you want a fresh green one instead."

The dance moves of middle-aged men may be particularly graceless because although they have passed their prime they are still capable of sexual activity, so retain some degree of awkwardness around women, the research suggests.

I just... I'm speechless.

And incredibly amused! "An apple that is going brown..."

Noodle22 12-16-2009 10:13 AM

That makes sense, haha. My boyfriend is a great dancer and he's gotten a couple women pregnant. Not on purpose though. Had issues with condom prickers.

The one that was planned was his beautiful daughter :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.