BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BlackBerry Network (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   BlackBerry Internet - MSN/chat/web/telnet/TCPIP - No BES! (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=2185)

Mark Rejhon 01-08-2005 12:50 PM

BlackBerry Internet - MSN/chat/web/telnet/TCPIP - No BES!

How to Configure Full Internet Access On BlackBerry

You are interested, if you want to do any of the following, especially if you are an individual prosumer rather than a big corporate user:
  • Run BES-required Internet software without BES!
  • Instant Messaging, AIM, ICQ, MSN (Verichat, WebMessenger, BerryVine, IM+, etc.)
  • Full HTML web browsing ability (Reqwireless, BlackBerry Browser, etc.)
  • IRC chatting (virca, wlirc, etc.)
  • telnet/ssh (Idokorro, etc.)
  • No BES needed! No MDS needed!
Easy 1-2-3 Instructions:
  1. Upgrade your BlackBerryOS
    You need BlackBerry with OS 3.8 or later. If you have an older version of BlackBerryOS, please Download BlackBerryOS 4.0 and install it on your BlackBerry first.
  2. Configure your BlackBerry & Your Carrier
    On the BlackBerry handheld, go to Options -> TCP
    There is a new option in BlackBerryOS 3.8 and later. Then fill in APN with the provided APN listead in the below post, that is appropriate for your carrier. If no username or password is provided, leave these blank. If only a username is provided, then leave in the password. Also, ignore the Gateway IP address, unless your Blackberry specifically has a textbox to enter the IP address in. "APN" means "Access Point Name". Once you have saved the APN information, you should reboot your BlackBerry by removing and reinserting the battery.
  3. Run your BlackBerry Internet Software
    Once you have filled this information, your Internet applications should work on your BlackBerry. TCP/IP makes Internet software work, including chat software: Verichat, WebMessenger, IRC, Telnet/SSH, Web browsing, etc.
Occasionally, some applications on the BlackBerry need to have the gateway or APN information entered directly into them. This is not common.

BlackBerry TCP/IP Configuration Success Reports
  • Nextel/Telus - iDEN - Has TCP/IP
    No APN/TCP settings required on iDEN units including 65XX, 75XX and 7100i. They are special because they are iDEN and more native TCP/IP. After a new BlackBerry activation, you may need to wait 2 business days before third party Internet software such as VeriChat works. In the past, it was necessary to call Nextel to order the static IP address option (about $4/month), but now a static IP address appears to be included with BlackBerries by default.
  • Rogers - Has TCP/IP
    Go to Options->TCP
    APN: internet.com
    Username/password is blank
    Note: If this does not work, call Rogers and get the "internet.com Access Point Name" added to your account. If they say it already exists, tell them to load up the records anyway, just to doublecheck.
  • T-Mobile - Has TCP/IP
    Go to Options->TCP (or Tools->TCP)
    APN: wap.voicestream.com
    Username: (blank)
    Password: (blank)
    Note: T-Mobile has fixed the port-blocking issue - see this post for more info. In rare cases, it is reported you may need to enter your T-Mobile username and password, the same information used for logging into www.t-mobile.com/bwc ... If it still does not work properly, just call T-Mobile (call after Feburary 11th, 2005), and ask them to get the "wap.voicestream.com Internet Access Point Name" added to your BlackBerry account at no extra charge.
  • Cingular Orange - Has TCP/IP
    Go to Options->TCP
    APN: wap.cingular
    Username: [email address]
    Password: CINGULAR1
    Formerly, it used to be difficult to get this to work on Cingular but in December 2005, a new Internet Browser Icon suddenly appeared on Cingular BlackBerry units. When this happened, it also suddenly became easier to use Cingular BlackBerry with TCP/IP. If you are still having problems, please click here.
  • Cingular Blue - Has TCP/IP
    Go to Options->TCP
    APN: proxy
    Username: (blank)
    Password: (blank)
    Try using these settings if you are on the former AT&T network, instead of the Cingular settings.
  • Verizon - Has TCP/IP
    Newer models including 7250 and 7130 now has a TCP/IP stack, no configuration is needed. Many third party Internet applications work out of the box on it! However, the older 6750 and 7750 models will NOT work with TCP/IP.
  • Telus - CDMA - Has Partial TCP/IP
    Recently, in late 2005, this feature got activated on newer Telus units. Newer models including 7250 now has a TCP/IP stack, no configuration is needed. However, there seems to be blocking for certain applications such as IM. Several third party Internet applications work out of the box on it! However, the older 6750 and 7750 models will NOT work with TCP/IP.
  • Bell Mobility - Does NOT Work; Need MDS hosting
    Unfortunately, none of the Bell Mobility BlackBerries have a TCP/IP stack enabled. Not even the 7250. A future BlackBerryOS may fix this, or Bell Mobility might enable the feature in the future. No timeline known. For now, get BES/MDS Hosting in order to make 3rd party Internet applications work. (Note: Some applications such as IM+ will work on Bell Moblity if configuring using WAP/gateway/APN settings listed below. See this post)
  • Sprint - Unknown; Might Work
    Unknown. There is enough TCP/IP functionality in BlackBerryOS 4.0.0.204 or later, for software such as Verichat and Berry411 to work. This BlackBerryOS is preinstalled on the model 7250. Some software such as Reqwireless Emailviewer will require you to input gateway IP address information (See below). For the best TCP/IP support, you must use BES/MDS. You will need to pay $10 to $25 extra per month for BES/MDS Hosting in order to gain access to the Internet and TCP/IP software.
  • Other Carriers - Might Work
    This is a list posted by a wonderful forum member bfrye on BlackBerryForums.com ... In addition to this list, there is also another list of alternate APN's on the Internet. You may have to telephone your carrier to tell them to get the Access Point Name (APN) added to your BlackBerry mobile phone account. Here are the most common APN's, although they can change over time:
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bfrye
    AT&T
    Gateway IP: 10.250.250.250
    Port: 9201
    APN: proxy

Bell Mobility
    Gateway IP: 207.236.197.199
    Port: 9203
    APN: internet.com

Cincinnati Bell
    Gateway IP: 216.68.79.199
    APN: wap.gocbw.com
    username: cbw

Cingular (modem compatible)
    Gateway IP: ?
    Port: ?
    APN: isp.cingular

Cingular
    APN: wap.cingular

Cingular
    Gateway IP: 66.209.11.61
    Port: 9203
    APN: blackberry.net

Dobson
    APN: cellular1wap

O2 (Germany)
    Gateway IP: 195.182.114.52
    APN: wap.viaginterkorn.de

O2 (Holland)
    Gateway IP: 193.113.200.195
    APN: internet

O2 (Ireland)
    Gateway IP: 192.168.90.74
    APN: wap.dol.ie
    username: gprs
    password: gprs

O2 (UK)
    Gateway IP: 192.113.200.195
    APN: wap.o2.co.uk
    username: o2wap
    password: password

Rogers
    Gateway IP: 208.200.67.150

T-Mobile (UK) 1
    Gateway IP: 149.254.1.10
    APN: general.t-mobile.uk

T-Mobile (UK) 2
    Gateway IP: 140.254.1.0

T-Mobile (Germany)
    Gateway IP: 193.254.160.2
    APN: wap.t-dl.de

T-Mobile (US)
    Gateway IP: 216.155.165.50
    APN: wap.voicestream.com

T-Mobile (US)
    APN: internet2.voicestream.com

Telcel
    APN: internet.itelcel.com
    Username: webgprs
    Password: webgrps2002

Telefonica Movil
    Gateway IP: 192.168.80.21
    APN wap.movistar.es

Telstra
    Gateway IP: 10.1.1.150
    APN: telstra.internet

TIM (Italy)
    Gateway IP: 213.26.205.1
    APN: wap.tim.it

Verizon Alternate
    Gateway IP: 12.168.70.74

Verizon
    Gateway IP: 153.114.115.100
    Port 9203

Vodafone (NL)
    Gateway IP: 192.168.251.150
    APN: blackberry.vodafone.nl
    username: vodafone
    Password: vodafone

Vodafone (Spain)
    Gateway IP: 212.73.32.10
    APN: airtelwap.es
    username: wap@wap
    password: wap125

Vodafone (UK)
    Gateway IP: 212.183.137.12
    APN: wap.vodafone.uk
    username: [email address]
    password: user

Quote:

This is a "Mark Rejhon BlackBerry FAQ" article.
Copyright (C) 2005 by Mark Rejhon, All Rights Reserved. Some portions may be Copyright (C) by respective forum members.
Mark Rejhon grants permission to use this article only for private use. For all other uses, please ask Mark Rejhon at www.marky.com to ask for permission to use this article. If any content of this article also contains content by other forum members, please ask them for permission too as well. This includes commercial use, public use, reposting in full/part anywhere on the Internet, publication in magazine/book or any other media, or any other use than private use. This copyright notice may not be edited or removed in any manner. Mark Rejhon reserves exclusive right to edit, remove, or restore this article, and this article may not be edited, removed, or restored by any other individual or organizations.

RGabo 01-09-2005 07:10 PM

Mark, you state: 'No BES needed! No MDS needed!'.

I'm at T-Mobile Hungary and I can't get Blackberry service just yet (neither BES nor BWC) but I can get a full-blown GPRS internet plan that works perfect on my Motorola MPX200 (Web, IM, etc).

When I set the same APN/username/password and/or WAP gateway, nothing works. Tunnel can be opened (meaning, username and password are OK) but it seems to time out and I get a 'could not connect' error message. I Tried VeriChat, WebViewer, SSH apps, no go.

How could I troubleshoot my problem and do I need to make any requests from my provider? Better asked: is there any difference how a 'normal' phone (Nokia / Motorola GPRS phones) access GPRS and how the Blackberry does?

Tx,

rob61280 01-09-2005 09:53 PM

my question is the same as RGabo,

if blackberry service is not available through a normal gprs/gsm connection, is it possible to use wap,sms, and retrieve pop email in a traditional non-blackberry way, with a blackberry?

thanks
Rob

thaze 01-10-2005 02:14 AM

APN for CSL

I am in Hong Kong and wondered if anyone had the APN info for CSL in hong kong?

George 01-13-2005 01:36 PM

I live in the Netherlands and I've got a blackberry from KPN. Does anyone know the APN info for KPN netherlands. Thanx..

Mark Rejhon 01-17-2005 02:53 AM

For Hong Kong CSL and Netherlands, it is already listed up there through the "Alternate APNs" link that you see in my first post.

From reading the "Alternate APNs", I can see Hong Kong CSL and Netherlands KPM both use "internet" as the APN. No dot-com, just "internet" with no username and password.

RGabo 01-17-2005 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
For Hong Kong CSL and Netherlands, it is already listed up there through the "Alternate APNs" link that you see in my first post.

From reading the "Alternate APNs", I can see Hong Kong CSL and Netherlands KPM both use "internet" as the APN. No dot-com, just "internet" with no username and password.

Mark, I'm aware of my provider's APN (it is 'internet', this is for T-Mobile Hungary) and I also have a valid working account (login/password) for this APN. Still, my connections time out without succeeding so I am not able to use the TCP stack to access the internet to use WebViewer or any IM client.

I was wondering how could I troubleshoot my issue and figure out whether it is a problem on my side or on my provider's site. Vodafone Hungary seems listed on reqwireless.com although it still might not work without a valid BES too, I haven't tested that.

Any ideas?

RGabo 01-17-2005 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob61280
my question is the same as RGabo,

if blackberry service is not available through a normal gprs/gsm connection, is it possible to use wap,sms, and retrieve pop email in a traditional non-blackberry way, with a blackberry?

thanks
Rob

SMS you can definitely use, for WAP/Web/IM you need the TCP stack in 4.0 and I'm trying to find a solution for my problem with this set up. You can't substitute a Blackberry Service (be it BES or BWC) with POP but you could use a POP client on your blackberry with the TCP stack without a BES or a BWC service. IF it works for you.. :)

Good luck, have fun,

RGabo 01-18-2005 12:00 AM

Gateway IP

Oh, and I don't have a specific Gateway IP address textbox, although I know that information for my provider.

Is that a clue? ;)

GTi4Life 01-18-2005 01:40 AM

No NEXTEL?

y2kelvin 01-20-2005 07:13 AM

Re: APN for CSL

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaze
I am in Hong Kong and wondered if anyone had the APN info for CSL in hong kong?

:idea: For Hong Kong CSL , try to set APN to "hkcsl". I successfully connected my app to my server with this setting.

y2kelvin 01-20-2005 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon

:idea: For Hong Kong CSL, please also try "hkcsl". I can connect to internet with this setting.

bmoore 01-21-2005 05:30 PM

Verichat Error Message

When reading the threads related to configuring the BB device for use with Verichat I cannot seem to get this working. I have added the APN for my provider and when I launch Verichat it comes back with either of the 2 errors (depending on whether I have MDS selected or not).

Error 1: With "Force MDS" selected - "Could not find a Service Book Entry"

Error 2: With "Force MDS" unselected - "Could not open a tunnel - failed"

Has anyone seen this or does this mean that my carrier (Cincinnati Bell/AT&T) does not offer this type of access. As a side note my Internet browser works perfectly with either of these settings selected.

Any help would be great.

singberry 01-23-2005 03:22 PM

TCP APN configured as "internet" for Singtel but s

With reference to the tip below and my , my TCP APN configured as "internet" for Singtel here in Singapore (details of singtel can be seen in the compatibility international guide somewhere here in the forum) but still my black berry 7730 with OS4.0 latest version wont allow me to browse the net or use the Instant Messaging, ICQ, MSN (Verichat, WebMessenger, IM+, etc.)..The little green arrows on the top right hand corners flickers for a while and that is it.

Anyone have any ideas why i cant logon to the net. (i've even entered the correct WAP APN as required by Reqwireless IM+WAP or Emailviewer but to no avail.. the simplest is Verichat but yet nothing works.. My phone works though and i do hv GPRS connectivity.

Singtel tech support tried it on their own Blackberry but also couldnt get Reqwireless or any of the 3rd party sw to work.

I dun have the carrier's browser as i did not subscribe to their pushmail plan ..and this is not the reason as Singtel tech support staff themselves couldnt get their units with pushmail plan to work either.

any help greatly appreciated.

thanks
rgds
ron
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

whensmett 01-23-2005 07:04 PM

7100t Internet Access Issue

I have a 7100t from T-Mobile USA. TMo unlocked it and I am trying to get Internet access in South Africa through MTN/GPRS. I have upgraded to 3.8.128 and 4.0 for desktop. MTN's APN is internet with no username or password. I had no sucess so far. Is there anything else that needs to be configured on the 7100t? I have tried my SIM on a SE phone and I can get internet access.
Any ideas? MTN's customer service doesn't even know what a Blackberry is.
Thanks for your help.

singberry 01-24-2005 07:29 AM

I had the same trouble with Webviewer or any Reqwireless

My Regwireless webviewer 4.0, emailviewer or any of those 3rd party IM+WAP etc do not work even when i had OS4.0 and TCP configured as 'internet' for the APN as suggested above. Mine is Singtel from Singapore and even the Singtel boys are still scratching their heads as to why it didnt work. they've downloaded the Reqwireless to configure on their sets but it aint working too.. any one can help? maybe is the confusion of using WAP gateway APN etc... many thanks

n8ureb 01-24-2005 11:54 PM

Too Bad i cant use my MDS server to act as a proxy so i can still surf the web via a BB modem to a web browser.

PhilJJ 01-25-2005 03:56 PM

Re: BlackBerry Internet - MSN/chat/web/telnet/TCPIP - No BES

:(

Hello..

I am trying to get my Cingular 7280 to work with Verichat.
What did i do ??
Downloaded OS4.0
Updated handheld.. the version is now 3.7.121 [platform 1.6.1.23]

There is no Option --> TCP ...

Did I do something wrong? Please advise.

Thank you.

Phil

[quote="Mark Rejhon"]How to Configure Full Internet Access On BlackBerry

You are interested, if you want to do any of the following, especially if you are an individual prosumer rather than a big corporate user:
  • Run BES-required Internet software without BES!
  • Instant Messaging, AIM, ICQ, MSN (Verichat, WebMessenger, IM+, etc.)
  • Full HTML web browsing ability (Reqwireless, BlackBerry Browser, etc.)
  • IRC chatting (virca, wlirc, etc.)
  • telnet/ssh (Idokorro, etc.)
  • No BES needed! No MDS needed!
Easy 1-2-3 Instructions:
  1. Upgrade your BlackBerryOS
    You need BlackBerry with OS 3.8 or later. If you have an older version of BlackBerryOS, please Download BlackBerryOS 4.0 and install it on your BlackBerry first.
  2. Configure your BlackBerry & Your Carrier
    On the BlackBerry handheld, go to Options -> TCP
    There is a new option in BlackBerryOS 3.8 and later. Then fill in APN with the provided APN listead in the below post, that is appropriate for your carrier. If no username or password is provided, leave these blank. If only a username is provided, then leave in the password. Also, ignore the Gateway IP address, unless your Blackberry specifically has a textbox to enter the IP address in. "APN" means "Access Point Name".
  3. Run your BlackBerry Internet Software
    Once you have filled this information, your Internet applications should work on your BlackBerry. TCP/IP makes Internet software work, including chat software: Verichat, WebMessenger, IRC, Telnet/SSH, Web browsing, etc.
Occasionally, some applications on the BlackBerry need to have the gateway or APN information entered directly into them. This is not common.

[*]Cingular - Now has TCP/IP; No MDS hosting needed
Go to Options->TCP
APN: isp.cingular
Username: ISPDA@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Cingular works now, but it is a little tricky to set up at Cingular first by calling them. You have to telephone Cingular and ask for these line items to be added to your Cingular bill, if it does not already show up on your Cingular bill, called "Wireless Internet Express" (WIX for short) and "Wireless Internet Express Data Connect":
Quote:

WIX EXTENDED INTERNET $0.00
WIX DATA CONNECT $0.00
WRLSS INTRNT XPRS PAY PER USE $0.00
These items go by different names in some states, such as California, but essentially you need the same lineitems you would normally have for a regular cellphone for tethering it to a laptop computer. Next, you need to use the proper APN username and APN password as follows, in all uppercase, when you start the "BlackBerry Modem" connection when using Cingular:
Quote:

Username: ISPDA@CINGULARGPRS.COM
It is very important to make sure that all the WIX lineitems are already on your bill, including "Wireless Internet Express DATA CONNECT". The last line item required for tethered modem operation with Cingular. Once this is done, then there is no more port blocking anymore! If you do not need modem operation, you do not need the third line item. You may have to telephone Cingular multiple times before you reach a Customer Service Representative that understands how to add these line items.

whensmett 01-25-2005 04:21 PM

AT&T 4.0 on T-Mo

Will the AT&T 4.0 work on the T-Mo 7100t? If it works is there anything I need to pay special attention during the upgrade?
Thanks
Pete

camisa 01-27-2005 10:09 AM

VZW 7750

Hello!

I applied the 4.0 OS upgrade to my VZW 7750. I have read the posts and your thread; of course I still do not have browsing capability. I have two questions. 1.) what should I do about being paranoid that my BB is slower now that I upgraded it to 4.0, and 2.) Why are there Verizon gateway IP addresses listed here if VZW does not work for BB web viewing?

Am I missing something? The guys at Verizon "Data Services" technical support told me he turned on a flag in my account for web browsing... and said I needed to read the forums to figure it all out; yet still no browser.

--Camisa