BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Aftermarket Software (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Best Task Manager? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=153475)

chevez 10-06-2008 03:22 AM

Best Task Manager?

I'm looking for a free task manager program out there. I need something a little more in depth than the native one on the bb's. What is the best one?

akosnitzky 10-06-2008 06:10 AM

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

I use BB Task Pro

mgerbasio 10-06-2008 07:53 AM

There are a lot of choices, do a search on this forum. My favorite is RexWireless ToDoMatrix.

Regards-Michael G.

fkjr2 10-06-2008 05:22 PM

I also like Pocket Lists by Cross River Systems

djm2 10-06-2008 07:24 PM

In my opinion, all of them require significant compromises of one sort or another. So far I tend to rely on the Rex Wireless product ToDoMatrix. If the sync with Outlook is implemented nicely, this might solve my issues with task products, but that sync feature is awaiting release.

Edit: I don't think that any of the recommendations is a free product.

skicson 10-07-2008 07:08 AM

Here's the thread we posted in August about got-2, our FREE task management list/tool.

MB43 10-07-2008 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akosnitzky (Post 1126448)
Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

I use BB Task Pro

The problem is that it does not pull up the BB calendar when try to set the due date. It expect you to memorize the dates! BIG minus!

jsanchez 10-07-2008 04:19 PM

I tried them all. Not just BlackBerry but Palm too. ToDoMatrix is FAR and AWAY the best IMHO but a) it is not free and b) it has a bit of a learning curve. If you are into good processes and David Allen GTD stuff, it is a super fit.

Suggest reading their best practices paper first, before trying the software. The paper is on the home page at the bottom: REXwireless: BlackBerry Software Applications

pochenx 10-18-2008 09:56 PM

ToDoMatrix could be the best in the market. But the price is too much.

koleary19067 10-19-2008 12:56 PM

ToDoMatrix

bbaratz 10-19-2008 09:59 PM

Have you tried Pocket Informant for blackberry. It is great for tasks, events and contacts.

thunder33cat 10-22-2008 12:11 PM

The essential things for me are that I can (1) sync with the built-in database and (2) filter by category, as I use a task management program that syncs with Outlook (MyLifeOrganized). I've tried PocketDay as a stand-alone, but there's no filter - just sort by category, which is okay. BBTask Pro seems expensive for what it does, although it does it better than any other option right now. Pocket Informant handles tasks nicely, but has a large memory footprint for me to really only use it for task enhancements. It seems to come down to native task app, PocketDay, or BBTask Pro for me. If BBTask Pro were at a bit lower price point, I'd probably go with that.

jsanchez 10-27-2008 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunder33cat (Post 1144486)
The essential things for me are that I can (1) sync with the built-in database and (2) filter by category, as I use a task management program that syncs with Outlook (MyLifeOrganized). I've tried PocketDay as a stand-alone, but there's no filter - just sort by category, which is okay. BBTask Pro seems expensive for what it does, although it does it better than any other option right now. Pocket Informant handles tasks nicely, but has a large memory footprint for me to really only use it for task enhancements. It seems to come down to native task app, PocketDay, or BBTask Pro for me. If BBTask Pro were at a bit lower price point, I'd probably go with that.

FYI, I'm now "in" on the beta testing of next version of todomatrix that has syncing with native tasks and outlook on my pc. It is working very well. Based on my impressions, I'm betting it comes out soon to the public.

djm2 10-27-2008 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsanchez (Post 1149878)
FYI, I'm now "in" on the beta testing of next version of todomatrix that has syncing with native tasks and outlook on my pc. It is working very well. Based on my impressions, I'm betting it comes out soon to the public.

Thanks for that update; I was curious about the status of the beta.

funkym 10-29-2008 11:21 PM

TaskMaster is my favorite! :)

thunder33cat 10-30-2008 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunder33cat (Post 1144486)
BBTask Pro seems expensive for what it does, although it does it better than any other option right now. <snip> If BBTask Pro were at a bit lower price point, I'd probably go with that.

I bought BBTask Pro yesterday for $9.95 from their website/Handango. This seemed far more reasonable than the $19.95 they were originally asking. I'm very pleased.

I also own ToDoMatrix and await the BB database direct sync. However, I'll also note that the web entry and organization for ToDo Matrix isn't efficient (for me). I do a lot of entry/planning from the desktop, and need a quick and robust mechanism. MLO provides that for me - and syncs well with Outlook to make my process pretty seamless.

Soxfan04 12-21-2008 11:03 AM

I did a trial of Todomatrix. I like the way it is organized and the speed in which the data can be sorted and things can be found. Not sure that I am crazy about having my data on an outside party's server though. I realize it is encrypted but I am still not entirely comfortable. Also I am not sure that my IT dept would be comfortable. I am now trying a new product called Viira that seems to have a lot of potential. So far I like it a lot.

djm2 12-21-2008 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soxfan04 (Post 1217877)
I did a trial of Todomatrix. I like the way it is organized and the speed in which the data can be sorted and things can be found. Not sure that I am crazy about having my data on an outside party's server though. I realize it is encrypted but I am still not entirely comfortable. Also I am not sure that my IT dept would be comfortable. I am now trying a new product called Viira that seems to have a lot of potential. So far I like it a lot.

I use ToDoMatrix, and I share your concern regarding the confidentiality of the data. I never put anything in there that would cause me problems, even though I trust RexWireless far more than Google.

funkym 12-25-2008 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djm2 (Post 1218066)
I use ToDoMatrix, and I share your concern regarding the confidentiality of the data. I never put anything in there that would cause me problems, even though I trust RexWireless far more than Google.

I don't trust them. I don't say that they might "steel" my data but there is always the possibility that their server gets hacked or so. Not good.

Therefor, I definitely want my tasks in my BlackBerry task database. I already have to trust RIM in this case but that's OK :)

rexguys 12-25-2008 07:46 PM

Funkym is the vendor S4BB, pretending to be a user

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkym (Post 1222723)
I don't trust them. I don't say that they might "steel" my data but there is always the possibility that their server gets hacked or so. Not good.

Therefor, I definitely want my tasks in my BlackBerry task database. I already have to trust RIM in this case but that's OK :)

Funkym, it is really poor form to pose as an independent user when you are actually the developer of Task Master and Next Action.

Here is proof you are the vendor S4BB in 4 easy steps:

1) Here is where you (as funkym) posted as a SPONSOR in Sponsor Promotions/Savings for mobilesoftmarket.com:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/spon...oftmarket.html

2) A whois domain lookup at Network Solutions (nsi.com) reveals this:
Domain Name: MOBILESOFTMARKET.COM
Registrant:
S4BB Limited
1801 Wing On Central Building
26 Des Voeux Road
Hong Kong, Central 00000
Hong Kong
Here's the link at Network Solutions: mobilesoftmarket.com WHOIS domain registration information from Network Solutions

Not a big surprise that mobilesoftmarket features s4bb products as its best sellers.

3) And a visit to s4bb.com of course finds that s4bb publishes Task Master and Next Action.

4) Anyone that wants to waste five minutes reading your posts finds constant posts trashing other products while promoting your own, all the while denying that you are the vendor. Check this one out as a sample:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/afte...tml#post638638

It would be a lot better for everyone on this forum if you stuck to what your products do well, instead of trying to knock down everyone else. Makes us wonder how many more identities you have here.

the REXguys