BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Sensitive Discussions (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Official refuses marriage license to interracial couple (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=207642)

mriff 10-18-2009 03:14 PM

Official refuses marriage license to interracial couple

"I am not a racist." Um, yeah, right. (n)

Justice stands by refusal to give interracial couple license to wed - CNN.com

ezrunner 10-18-2009 05:11 PM

Wirelessly posted (overwhelmingly stressed)

This is an EPIC fail on this officials part

What a friggin idiot

mriff 10-18-2009 07:51 PM

Completely agree.

juwaack68 10-18-2009 07:55 PM

As Colonel Sherman T. Potter would say "What a load of Horse Hockey!"

MrKyoo 10-18-2009 10:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.blackberryforums.com/atta...1&d=1255923403

CoDudette 10-19-2009 10:24 AM

He was concerned about the children and that most interracial marriages don't last? and he's not being racial?

complete EpIc FaIL.

kathrynhr 10-19-2009 02:38 PM

People like this disgust me. Who the heck is he to decide who should and should not be married? By the way they look, no less.

angelbear1973 10-24-2009 02:24 PM

He chose not to marry them its his right. They can go else where to get married. My Brother is a minister and refuses to marry couples frequently for various reasons.

mriff 10-25-2009 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelbear1973 (Post 1494347)
He chose not to marry them its his right. They can go else where to get married. My Brother is a minister and refuses to marry couples frequently for various reasons.

I'm not surprised at all that this is your opinion. But this person is a city official. It's not 'his right' to deny marriage based on color. He should be immediately fired from his job. Then he can be a blatent idiot racist in the private sector all he wants.

angelbear1973 10-25-2009 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 1494575)
I'm not surprised at all that this is your opinion. But this person is a city official. It's not 'his right' to deny marriage based on color. He should be immediately fired from his job. Then he can be a blatent idiot racist in the private sector all he wants.

I didnt give an opinion. I gave a statement. My opinion is that he was wrong. But he is still with in his rights as a justice of the peace. He is basically the same as a judge and they do things based on their beliefs all the time. Look at the supreme court the do not do things based on the law all the time.

jsconyers 10-25-2009 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 1494575)

x2! Well said and completely agree!

mriff 10-25-2009 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelbear1973 (Post 1494644)
I didnt give an opinion. I gave a statement. My opinion is that he was wrong. But he is still with in his rights as a justice of the peace. He is basically the same as a judge and they do things based on their beliefs all the time. Look at the supreme court the do not do things based on the law all the time.

He is not within his rights. There are laws against discrimination based on color, particularly within government.

djm2 10-25-2009 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 1494738)
He is not within his rights. There are laws against discrimination based on color, particularly within government.

(y)(y)(y)

angelbear1973 10-25-2009 06:04 PM

if you say so.... I disagree with you so we will agree to disagree as we do on many subjects. There is no law that says he has to marry anyone. just klike he doesnt have to marry Gay couples

CoDudette 10-26-2009 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelbear1973 (Post 1494915)
if you say so.... I disagree with you so we will agree to disagree as we do on many subjects. There is no law that says he has to marry anyone. just klike he doesnt have to marry Gay couples

This isn't about anyone. Discrimination is not above the law and he is blatantly discriminating against two people who want to get married. on a reason that has been prevelant forever almost. qhat does COLOUR have to do with anything? they are still TWO PEOPLE who want to start a life together.

you would think that in this day and age people would have gone 'past' the racism card. obviously, some people still live in the 12th century. how do we progress if there are people like this who refuse marriage?

secondly, put YOURSELF in the couple's shoes. what if you wanted to marry outside your caste/colour/religion? don't say that would NEVER happen, because more often than not, it just might. would you be of the same opinion then?

angelbear1973 10-26-2009 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoDudette (Post 1495068)
This isn't about anyone. Discrimination is not above the law and he is blatantly discriminating against two people who want to get married. on a reason that has been prevelant forever almost. qhat does COLOUR have to do with anything? they are still TWO PEOPLE who want to start a life together.

you would think that in this day and age people would have gone 'past' the racism card. obviously, some people still live in the 12th century. how do we progress if there are people like this who refuse marriage?

secondly, put YOURSELF in the couple's shoes. what if you wanted to marry outside your caste/colour/religion? don't say that would NEVER happen, because more often than not, it just might. would you be of the same opinion then?

The statisttics show that he is correct neither race in most cases wouldnt accept it. Especially in the area of the country this happened. Where I come from its very unacceptable to marry outside your race. Right or wrong it is what it is.

CoDudette 10-26-2009 10:49 PM

the sad part is... the opinions/judgements of society have taken priority over what the individual feels is right/wrong, and that makes us puppets in this warped and twisted world. Society dictates our actions. I mean...how sad is that?

kathrynhr 10-27-2009 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelbear1973 (Post 1495702)
Where I come from its very unacceptable to marry outside your race. Right or wrong it is what it is.

Why is that the case, in your opinion?

I'm really curious about this. I grew up in rural Kentucky. My public high school - about 1,200 kids - had NO black students, and less than 10 that were Asian, Hispanic or anything else. The handful of non-white students all seemed to fit in well, and were all fairly popular as I recall. There was certainly no out-in-the-open prejudice. When I left home at 18, I basically assumed all people of color were just like me only darker.

I'm nearly twice that now and STILL do not understand what people get all bent out of shape about. I can see that they do, I just don't get it. How is dark skin any different than dark eyes, or dark hair? In today's world, how is it a condition for meaning?

I'm showing my ignorance and my sheltered upbringing here... it's intentional. Someone please educate me.

jsconyers 10-27-2009 01:40 PM

I agree with you, Kathryn. I don't get it either.

However, in my high school, Hispanic was the majority, followed by black students, then white students, then Asian students. It was a pretty diverse school and everyone seemed to fit in well and there weren't many race related issues.

Seems that we went to completely different high schools, and yet we both don't get racism.

angelbear1973 10-27-2009 05:05 PM

I don't get racism either I am Native American and my husband is White. We live in the suburbs of Atlanta and we get rude comments all the time. Our Children are called half breeds by the kids in school. For some strange reason people in the south just dont seem to accept mixed races. There are kids in the same school with mixed parents and they are called Oreos. By both the black and the white students. They learn it from their parents. We have race fights daily.