BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Sensitive Discussions (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   President Obama and Evolution (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=172128)

kathrynhr 04-27-2009 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 1365135)
We've come a long way in this thread. This is not the way I've seen others evolve (lol, for lack of a better word).

I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I mean, I haven't decided if the point of this forum is to seed random thoughts and hope a handful of them sprout into healthy intelligent conversations... or whether they merely exist to entertain our moderators by creating opportunities for the stressed-out masses to engage in the verbal equivalent of mud wrestling.

If the latter, this thread is a colossal failure at present. ;-)

mriff 04-30-2009 08:13 AM

You folks knew that I would post an article about evolution and swine flu. So as not to disappoint, here it is.

Swine Flu Is Evolution in Action | LiveScience

mriff 04-30-2009 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathrynhr (Post 1366631)
.. or whether they merely exist to entertain our moderators by creating opportunities for the stressed-out masses to engage in the verbal equivalent of mud wrestling.

If the latter, this thread is a colossal failure at present. ;-)

IDK, are you being fastidious (:razz:)? There were some serious back and forths earlier in this particular thread that may qualify.

kathrynhr 04-30-2009 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 1369521)
IDK, are you being fastidious (:razz:)? There were some serious back and forths earlier in this particular thread that may qualify.

LOL! Note the words "at present."

Dawg 04-30-2009 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 1369518)
You folks knew that I would post an article about evolution and swine flu. So as not to disappoint, here it is.

Swine Flu Is Evolution in Action | LiveScience

So the indians that we have today have evolved? Because they got smart and figured out a way to survive with the white man?

Have robbers evolved because they have figured out a way to rob banks better?

I see that the virus (not sure on the alive or not alive) has figured out a way to beat the system (the Body).

mriff 04-30-2009 09:04 PM

Dawg, not sure I understand the analogies. I think you are talking about culture and society, not evolution. The flu virus evolution is simply meant to show rapid evolution of viruses, even over a few months. If they can do that over a few months, what could happen over millions of years. The evolution of germs coincides with evolution of hominids and other mammels is pretty fascinating, IMHO.

Dawg 05-01-2009 06:21 AM

see you call it evolution I call it adapting. My analogies were to show the comparison. I guess I did a bad job.

mriff 05-13-2009 07:54 PM

A new comprehensive website on evolution. I'll be checking it out.

Evolver Zone

mriff 05-13-2009 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg (Post 1370367)
see you call it evolution I call it adapting. My analogies were to show the comparison. I guess I did a bad job.

Hey no worries man. I see adaptation as a major part of the evolutionary process. It's central to the Theory of Evolution. Mutations that happen to be advantageous are carried on to the next generation. Good basic stuff.

mriff 05-17-2009 03:22 PM

I like this video, even though the graphics are quite lame. It provides a basic explanation of what evolution is all about.

YouTube - Evolution

mriff 05-17-2009 03:27 PM

Wow. djm, you will like this one. And I hope others who have contributed to this thread and those that are just reading will give it serious listen.

YouTube - Skewed views of science

djm2 05-18-2009 10:54 AM

Outstanding Presentation

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 1385399)
Wow. djm, you will like this one. And I hope others who have contributed to this thread and those that are just reading will give it serious listen.

YouTube - Skewed views of science

Mriff, that was outstanding discussion, targeted towards laypersons, of the fundamental principles of philosophy of science. If I was still teaching I would use that in undergraduate courses on research methods. (y)(y)(y)(y)(y) Excellent.

I would like to know why ratings and comments have been turned off on that piece, although I can make some educated guesses.

mriff 05-21-2009 06:26 AM

Really, I'm ok with her right to home school her children any way she wants to. (Good luck to them if they want a job in science.) But I sure as hell don't want my tax dollars to fund this 'education'.

Christian working mom homeschools âxxx8364;xxx8220; on state's dime

mriff 05-21-2009 06:48 AM

I enjoyed reading this article.

Donxxx8217;t Mess With Textbooks § SEEDMAGAZINE.COM

kathrynhr 05-21-2009 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 1388363)
Really, I'm ok with her right to home school her children any way she wants to. (Good luck to them if they want a job in science.) But I sure as hell don't want my tax dollars to fund this 'education'.

Christian working mom homeschools – on state's dime

What about her tax dollars? I mean, we all pay taxes.

mriff 05-21-2009 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathrynhr (Post 1388397)
What about her tax dollars? I mean, we all pay taxes.

For public education sure. I pay my fair share and I'm happy to. I just don't think I should be subsidizing her home schooling. That should be her cost if she chooses to teach her children at home.

kathrynhr 05-21-2009 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 1388477)
For public education sure. I pay my fair share and I'm happy to. I just don't think I should be subsidizing her home schooling. That should be her cost if she chooses to teach her children at home.

I think the tax money should follow the student. Public education is not superior to private in most areas. Religious issues aside, why should parents be stuck with inferior schools? If the tax money doesn't follow the student, you set up a situation where only the rich can ensure their children are educated as they see fit.

mriff 05-21-2009 02:52 PM

The gauntlet, so to speak, has been thrown down. I suspect there will be no successful arguments for a designed gene.

YouTube - Challenging the Discovery Institute to Discover

mriff 05-21-2009 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathrynhr (Post 1388498)
I think the tax money should follow the student. Public education is not superior to private in most areas. Religious issues aside, why should parents be stuck with inferior schools? If the tax money doesn't follow the student, you set up a situation where only the rich can ensure their children are educated as they see fit.

I must confess that I agree. But to an extent. I'd say fix the schools but as here in FL, there are no funds to do that. Or at least the legislative bodies are loath to raise taxes to provide funds for public education. But allowing tax money to follow the student would provide for endless need for more and more money. I happen to be one of the lucky ones I guess. The public schools where I live are outstanding.

I still say that I shouldn't be responsible for funding a private home school education for someone who has perfectly good schools in their neighborhood, as the parents of this story have.

dmead 05-22-2009 10:27 PM

sorry i've been in training for a while now so i haven't been around, but did this get posted yet?

"MISSING LINK" FOUND: New Fossil Links Humans, Lemurs?