BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   iPhone Android & other HandHeld Forum (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Will you move away from BlackBerry? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=238814)

rambo47 01-02-2011 05:52 PM

Re: Will you move away from BlackBerry?

I'm still flirting with my HTC Evo, but some troubling things have cropped up.

First, after the last firmware update, me and a lot of other people are noticing that our timezone is randomly changing to some other strange place. Mine has gone to Brasilia and West Africa! I have it set to update automatically from the network, and the fact that my Evo is somehow telling the network that I've changed continents is quite strange. It's easy enough to fix simply by toggling off and back on the "automatic" for timezone. But still, it doesn't fill me with confidence that my Evo is as solid and reliable as my BlackBerrys have all been.

Second, there is a bug in Android's SMS implementation. I have not experience this one but others are fuming over it. Seems that you send a text to one person but it gets delivered to someone else. The message shows on your device as having been properly sent and received, but in point of fact it never got to it's intended recipient. Imagine if a message to Daphne went to Lisa instead!?! That could get messy! By all accounts, Android has made this a relatively low priority fix, leaving those affected out in the cold and wondering who is getting their messages. Most text messages go through to the proper recipient, but every now and then one goes astray. Yet one more reason to question Android's ability to fill a "mission critical" role in personal communication.

rambo47 01-02-2011 06:12 PM

Here's a couple of things my Evo kicks butt at:

1. Web browser. BlackBerry's browser still sucks. Between the Evo's gorgeous 4.3" screen and the superior browser that comes standard, using the web is far more enjoyable on the Evo. I never used it much on my BlackBerry, but now I'm using it much more frequently since it's so easy.

2. Maps. Google maps on the Evo's 4.3" screen is like having a dedicated GPS device in your pocket.

It all comes back to the screen difference. I have compromised on email handling, battery life, and keypad design for that extra screen real estate. I'm still undecided if I will stick with Android/Evo or jump back on BlackBerry. I got another nudge in the Evo's direction recently. The camera. I used the 5MP camera on my Evo on New Year's Eve to get some great pics, and today I recorded my son's wrestling match. Spectacular results all around. While the BlackBerry will take pics and movies, the difference in quality between the Evo and BB is huge.

Kamau 01-02-2011 08:21 PM

Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Kamau 01-02-2011 08:27 PM

I have to agree with you on the screen. The battery life is horrible, but having this screen size on my Droid X is a definite deal breaker for me. Using it with the navigator is as close to having a dedicated system as I want.
But I have to admit, BB will probably always have my heart. It's as a reliable a phone as I could ever get or want.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

rambo47 01-05-2011 11:03 AM

I'm still on the fence about sticking with my Evo or going back to my BlackBerry full time. If Sprint got a version of the Torch it would be a no-brainer. But my Bold's 2.4" screen is just a bit cramped, and my eyes are not what they used to be. Plus a full-screen calendar on the Evo is a thing of beauty. I never really got used to the BlackBerry calendar app.

Pathfinder1 01-07-2011 11:36 AM

MY STORY:

I was a happy BB 8330 Curve user.

In Sept 2101 my contract with VZW came due and the sales rep at the VZW store was ALL ABOUT the Droid(s) and especially the Droid X and just about turned herself inside out talking about what a great platform the Android system was.

She knows that I'm primarily a business function user and I made several statements about my lack of enthusiasm about the touch screen and that frankly I'm not a gadget/ (app) oriented kind of guy.

Still she assured me that the Droid X was not only the future but that it would offer me everything BB was doing and then some.... all for the same price.

Basically she sold me the phone she wanted.

On Dec. 18th 2010, after the 3rd Droid X to fail I refused a 4th "factory refurbished" (aka, used) Droid and demanded they provide me a BB. Each of the three Droid X's were "software failures."

There was a lot of discussion and eventually they relented.

In the 3+ years of owning my BB 8330 I NEVER once experienced a "software failure."

It's a sure sign that there is a lot of "bugs to work out" in a platform that has so many failures. I know of 3 other people who experienced similar failures or just found the Android system learning curve difficult to negotiate.

Since I received my new BB I have had not a single software related issue AND........... I am not dependent on Google

Oh and I don't have to pay for an App that allows me to use word documents, PPT's or excel files.

I could go on but ultimately my observation is that; if you seek a device that is more of a toy/ entertainment center then go to the Androids.

If you are seeking a tool for reliable function, business and no tom foolery stay BB.

Thanks and sorry for the lengthy post.

Ahmad Hussain 01-09-2011 10:16 AM

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaanks

rambo47 01-09-2011 08:28 PM

Yesterday I re-activated my Bold 9650 and placed my Evo gently on the shelf. The relief I felt was palpable. I WANTED to love the Evo and Android. I tried to love it. I gave Android about two months, first with the Samsung Epic 4G, then with the HTC Evo. In the end I found I was trying to do what I always seem to do when I use a non-BlackBerry: I was trying to make it more like a BlackBerry. Well, duh! The solution to my problem is simple. Use a BlackBerry! Again.

ricpac 01-10-2011 02:15 PM

I got an iPhone4 on first day of Dec '10. It's a keeper, for sure. And so is my BlackBerry. Push email is King, battery life is Queen!

mayank 01-11-2011 01:24 AM

Hello everyone; I am deny. So I want move away from BlackBerry. Because first of all my favrate handset,and second think There is lots of talk, but very little actual data to back it up. So I want move....thanks.(y)

Arlen_Y 01-11-2011 03:26 AM

i love blackberry os,but in china i cant use the app totally,and the BIS cost is higher than other area,so little disappoint

Hauser 01-11-2011 08:06 AM

Was a BB user for four years, when I found out my year-old 8820 wouldn't be given a useful browser (OS 6) I jumped to iPhone 4. BB is unquestionably a better messaging device - hardware keyboard, streamlined messaging, extensive shortcuts - but iPhone is light years ahead in everything else so it doesn't matter.

costrej77 01-11-2011 11:39 AM

If you are tempted by the iPhone Apps, Blackberry's options have become quite robust. I have been recommending the following book to folks

Brilliant Blackberry Apps by Corey Sandler.

Each section goes over great apps that are out there such as:

LinkedIn,
Contacts Cleaner,
Weatherbug,
Skymall,
Time Magazine,
Sports Illustrated,
CNN Money,
Bank of America Mobile,
Google Maps and
Paypal.

ijoe6190 01-15-2011 02:17 PM

PLR 15 Day Resell Rights Success “Transform Your Collection of Products with Resell Rights Into Income-Producing Assets That Puts Money Into YOUR Pocket In 15 Days!”

plrprivatelabelrights.com

Jagga 01-16-2011 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambo47 (Post 1691089)
I'm still on the fence about sticking with my Evo or going back to my BlackBerry full time. If Sprint got a version of the Torch it would be a no-brainer. But my Bold's 2.4" screen is just a bit cramped, and my eyes are not what they used to be. Plus a full-screen calendar on the Evo is a thing of beauty. I never really got used to the BlackBerry calendar app.

^ You'd love the BB Torch as the calendar shines on this particular BB.

I've moved to other platforms before & recently ONLY to return to the BB: iPhone 3GS [5mths] then BB9700 (back again), iPhone 4 [2mths or less] then BB9780, Android Samsung SGS [1WEEK - HATED IT] then back to BB9780. I suffered withdrawal from perfect PIM, proper app integration, shortcuts, (forwarding an SMS, text only, should NEVER be an MMS Android = senseless added cost), most ARCANE file system I've EVER saw, NO SYNC with MAC OS X, NO WAY TO UPDATE FIRMWARE on OSX purely! (no hints it ever will; not even LINUX which is sad really), etc.

Sure we all want:
* Larger screen on beloved Bold lineup, yet I'm sure the majority loves svelte size.
* FASTER CPU with just a bit more RAM! Actually I'd like to see dedicated RAM partitioned ONLY for the core system to use for running apps, separate from installed applications - nothing complex for developers pls.
* File System: RIM give us the ability to delete MULTIPLE files at once by quickly multi-selecting them: Nokia came up with a sweet/simple solution in S60 3rd Ed FP1 on E71: ALT+Select (or something similar)!!!
* BB6 has a FLAW with iTunes sync'd playlists!! I cannot ADD music from my MicroSD to an existing Playlist; WTF!!?? I could do this on BB5 on my 9700 - same MicroSD card too.
* BB MAPS! I'd LOVE to have a "Breadcrumbs" feature!
Turn it on, select an option so that it'll track me until I save & turn it off: saved as a favorite.

I find the WebKit Browser is incredible!! Saving Bookmarks into ANY folder that exists in Bookmarks or creating a folder on the fly while saving a BOOKMARK is STILL unique to his platform. Sure it doesn't like too many tabs open at once (6-10 and you're pushing it) but larger screen size is needed & higher resolution would not hurt.

No ... I'm sticking it out with BB; too many things this beauty offers along with assurance of local sync for those JUST IN CASE the cloud destroys data (something common from Google with many platforms).

ichliebe 01-20-2011 01:42 AM

I won't consider a move yet, I have faith RIM will come out with a competing device.
To be honest,Blackberry match my meet.I won't move it as possible as I can.

Sobo 01-21-2011 03:40 PM

9800, iPhone4, 9800, iPhone4, 9800, iPhone4......
Frankly, they are always jumping up and down in my mind for a new one....

jpcalhoun 01-24-2011 01:56 PM

Well, I switched from my Tour 9630 to a Droid Pro on Nov 14. First, I am not going to bash BB. My BBs did everything they were designed to do and did it right the first time...every time. Maybe I was lucky.

I switched for the following reasons:
-I'm on Verizon and Torch not available...if it had been I might not be posting this!!!
-Faster web browsing
-Touch screen
-larger on-board memory
-faster processor
-more capable/adaptive OS
-WiFi
-flexibility and more choice regarding 3d Party app
-Must sync with Outlook for contacts and calender

I use the Pro for personal and business calls, email, text, etc. It is true, if your coming from a BB to a android phone, it will take some time to get used to. If you are tied to BES don't make a move to android right now...google and the phone manufactures are still trying to figure that one out. There is a corporate sync but it is not par with BES at this point in time. Also, there is no BIS. But, there is two easy ways to get all your email (not corporate) pushed to your phone. Gmail (manditory with an android phone) has a function called "Fetch". Fetch, once setup, performs exactly like BIS...there is no charge for this functionality. The other way, which I use, is to have all three of my POP email accounts forwarded to my gmail account. Gmail then pushes those emails to my Pro as soon as they arrive. It is as fast if not faster than BIS...works great for me. Two of my POP accounts are for business and the other is personal email.

I've seen a couple of comments about getting Outlook contacts and calendars to sync. I use a 3rd party app called gsyncit ($20) that is an Outlook plug-in. Works great, keeps everything sync'd between Outlook and my phone...no issues what so ever.

The querty keyboard (another must for me, I hate virtue keyboards) is pretty good. In someways I prefer it over the 9630's keyboard particularly the way they have numbers arrayed along the top roll of keys.

The difference is web browsing, the speed with which you can multitask and the speed with which "things happen" on the Pro are amazing. Quite frankly it runs circles around any BB I have ever seen...to include the Torch.

Bottom line-If you are tied to BES then an android phone may be a problem when it comes to corporate email sync.

yuanzhoulu 01-26-2011 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 1668448)
There is lots of talk, but very little actual data to back it up. I am curious how many of you are considering moving away from your BlackBerry and moving on to another device that can do more for you in whatever category.

I've been considering it for a long time. In short the following features keep me on BlackBerry:

** Critical features **

1. Calling over WiFi with UMA -- it means (1) that while abroad, I can find a WiFi hotspot and simulate being in the US and send/receive calls for free on my US number and (2) I get reception in my workplace, which has WiFi but no good carrier reception for any US carrier

2. Unlimited international data for +$20/month (still on a fudgy "don't ask don't tell" policy that doesn't state anything clearly but this is what I get). Land in a foreign country, check my e-mail and use Google Maps to get around while all my friends put their sleek iPhones away in terror of roaming charges and switch to paper maps (I cringe at how technologically backward this is -- it's 2011, international flat-monthly-rate access to internet and maps on a phone ought to be a basic world standard already, and only BlackBerries -- well, *some* BlackBerries -- have it).

** Non-critical features **

3. A real keyboard
4. Built-in super bright flashlight
5. Good battery life
6. Swappable batteries
7. Traditional Chinese input with Hanyu pinyin

Give me an Android with features #1 and #2 above and I'll switch in a heartbeat.

rambo47 01-27-2011 09:54 AM

International data is what has me considering a move, not from BlackBerry to another platform, but from Sprint to T-Mobile. I've had all the North American Tier 1 carriers at one point or another. Seems like T-Mo is the only carrier offering reasonable (or any!) international data plan for BB's. Sprint recently sihtcanned all international data roaming plans. You roam - you pay full roaming rates!

Those trips to Europe for business (I pay my own bill) could get REAL expensive unless I shut off data services. My Sprint Bold 9650 can take a local pre-paid sim card and give me voice + sms, but there's no way I'm going to let myself run up a $500+ data bill for a week. In fact $500 probably is way low as an estimate.