BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9800 Series Discussion - Torch (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   First major problem with my 9800 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=234837)

Dubdub 08-30-2010 05:50 PM

First major problem with my 9800

On travel.

Device worked great this morning in Boston. Turned off for the flight to Baltimore. Turned on, worked great. Turned off at 1:15.

Turned in Milwaukee at 2:30 CDT. Nada. Voice but no data. Switching from lowercase edge to 3G and 1 to 5 bars. No data still.

Battery pull. Nothing.

Call ATT from hotel. Worked through about 10 battery pulls and other things. Nada.

Transferred to RIM. Run diagnostics. Not connected to the network (I knew that). No data. Said it was ATT's problem, not RIM. Transferred back to ATT.

Level II tech. Still no data. ATT says I am connected. Resent service books. Battery pulls. SIM card removal. Nada.

Had me delete all service books (I should have known better) resent. None received - duh no data how could I? More battery pulls and SIM card reseat. No data. No connection to RIM.

Told it is a RIM issue. Sent back to RIM. Been about 2 hours and still no data. Waiting for RIM to call me as the call dropped.

I think it is the device.

The saga will continue.

devnull 08-30-2010 06:32 PM

Good luck dub.

Just curious, are you running the stock OS?

Dubdub 08-30-2010 06:53 PM

Yes. Running the one that came with the device.

RIM had me do an OS reload which I did on the Mac. No change. Still the time issue and no data. Time issue is the time on the home screen is 5 off from actual. Info is right on the date/time set up screen however and it doesn't change the home screen.

Thought about going to the updated one, but I have a Mac with me, no PC.

MERK350Z 08-30-2010 07:10 PM

I had the same exact problem on sat my torch was working great I woke up I was not getting ant emails I sent the service books. Nothing I pulled out the battery nothing . I talked to AT&T and then I was transferred to blackberry support and a rim rep was unable to help me. She told me to return the phone . Which I was about to do so I did a fresh install of the Os and the phone was running perfect all emails came in and everything was working I have no clue why it did it and why no one was able to make it work . Wipe the phone that's what I did .

Dubdub 08-30-2010 07:52 PM

Did a reload. I have a Mac with so it is difficult to wipe and then reload.

My guess is that will fix it.

penguin3107 08-30-2010 08:05 PM

This exact issue has been plaguing my 9800 since I started using it.
Data just stops. Voice is OK. Went through the exact same back and forth with AT&T and RIM.

For others that experience this... A security wipe will kickstart it back into life. No need to reload the OS.

It's a device issue, and it's incredibly annoying!

dejacobs 08-30-2010 08:13 PM

My wife had this happen to her Torch after we put in a spare charged battery. When the original battery was re-installed, data services returned...

Dubdub 08-30-2010 08:21 PM

Doing that now.

Dubdub 08-30-2010 09:12 PM

Looks like the security wipe worked

Thanks

zerog46 08-30-2010 09:56 PM

Well this sucks.

Dubdub 08-30-2010 10:46 PM

Yep. Blew away the BBF group in BBM.

mmcpher 08-31-2010 05:24 PM

Me too, also and like that. . . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubdub (Post 1648989)
Doing that now.

Very similar experience about a week ago, just dropped from my BIS like third period French and then ignored when I tried to re-establish the BIS. I wish I had known about the security wipe option, but did the full wipe instead and it worked like a charm. More work than the security wipe, but even after only about 10 days running time, the exercise of having to reinstall 3rd party apps made me take a closer look and to dump some appjunk and I've been good to go since then.

mmcpher 09-01-2010 03:32 PM

Flush DNS Cache?

My IT guy thought that the BIS drop might have been caused by a problem with the DNS cache and that it might clear if I cleared the Blackberry's DNS cache. Not sure if the on-board memory cleaning does this though, or how otherwise to do it?

penguin3107 09-01-2010 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmcpher (Post 1649729)
My IT guy thought that the BIS drop might have been caused by a problem with the DNS cache and that it might clear if I cleared the Blackberry's DNS cache. Not sure if the on-board memory cleaning does this though, or how otherwise to do it?

Just curious... what's your IT guy's experience with BlackBerry handhelds and the BlackBerry infrastructure?

Serkle K 09-01-2010 09:24 PM

I have not had this issue. I was in Florida from monday to thursday last week. I flew too, and I was able to get data as soon a I turned on my connections. Could there really be a batch of devices with this issue?

penguin3107 09-02-2010 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serkle K (Post 1649844)
Could there really be a batch of devices with this issue?

I wouldn't say it's a bad batch at all. It's definitely a real problem though.
Could be BES, third-party app, the weather, some weird combination of all three, etc.
OS 6 is still very new. There's bound to be bugs and incompatibilities.

Dubdub 09-02-2010 09:00 AM

Mine seemed to take the hit when it switched from Eastern to Central time.

Been working ok since. But i fly back today. We shall see what happenes when it switches.

knottyrope 09-02-2010 02:36 PM

I went to canada and back last week with no issues.
I did not use data on carrier though

tbird57 09-03-2010 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubdub (Post 1648945)
On travel.

Device worked great this morning in Boston. Turned off for the flight to Baltimore. Turned on, worked great. Turned off at 1:15.

Turned in Milwaukee at 2:30 CDT. Nada. Voice but no data. Switching from lowercase edge to 3G and 1 to 5 bars. No data still.

Battery pull. Nothing.

Call ATT from hotel. Worked through about 10 battery pulls and other things. Nada.

Transferred to RIM. Run diagnostics. Not connected to the network (I knew that). No data. Said it was ATT's problem, not RIM. Transferred back to ATT.

Level II tech. Still no data. ATT says I am connected. Resent service books. Battery pulls. SIM card removal. Nada.

Had me delete all service books (I should have known better) resent. None received - duh no data how could I? More battery pulls and SIM card reseat. No data. No connection to RIM.

Told it is a RIM issue. Sent back to RIM. Been about 2 hours and still no data. Waiting for RIM to call me as the call dropped.

I think it is the device.

The saga will continue.

I had the same problem....ATT was no help what so ever...battery pull...service books sim card the whole nine yards..it started after installing OS 6.0.0.161 P.S I installed weather Bug and it was locking up my phone and thats when I lost my data..

Dubdub 09-04-2010 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbird57 (Post 1650841)
I had the same problem....ATT was no help what so ever...battery pull...service books sim card the whole nine yards..it started after installing OS 6.0.0.161 P.S I installed weather Bug and it was locking up my phone and thats when I lost my data..

How did you resolve the problem?