BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BlackBerry Help (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Blackberry Enterprise (Lookup help) (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=256392)

macpegg 12-21-2011 10:08 AM

Blackberry Enterprise (Lookup help)

Hi all,

Is there a way of showing all contacts from the GAL on a BB after activation without having to go through a lookup to find anyone..

Thanks in advance

penguin3107 12-21-2011 10:31 AM

Re: Blackberry Enterprise (Lookup help)

BES doesn't sync the GAL.
You'd need third party software to do that, if it exists. Or, you could create a public contact folder and assign every user to it. You'd also need to find a way to sync the GAL to that PCF.

Like many before you... after you start trying to make this work, you'll give up and see that you're wasting your time. ;)

macpegg 12-21-2011 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguin3107 (Post 1760254)
BES doesn't sync the GAL.
You'd need third party software to do that, if it exists. Or, you could create a public contact folder and assign every user to it. You'd also need to find a way to sync the GAL to that PCF.

Like many before you... after you start trying to make this work, you'll give up and see that you're wasting your time. ;)

Damn...

Weird thing is on the 8900s this actually works without any added software when activated.. the 9780s do not.. Bizzarre I know..

But when you have a user that had it, and now does not.. You can understand that its harder to blag them!! :smile:

penguin3107 12-21-2011 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macpegg (Post 1760255)
Damn...

Weird thing is on the 8900s this actually works without any added software when activated.. the 9780s do not.. Bizzarre I know..

But when you have a user that had it, and now does not.. You can understand that its harder to blag them!! :smile:

Something else is going on. It doesn't work for any of your users, regardless of the device type.
I suspect the user copied the entire GAL into their personal address book... or created a second address book that was also syncing with their handheld.

macpegg 12-21-2011 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguin3107 (Post 1760263)
Something else is going on. It doesn't work for any of your users, regardless of the device type.
I suspect the user copied the entire GAL into their personal address book... or created a second address book that was also syncing with their handheld.

I agree copying the contacts will work.. But being that this users admits to be being non I.T literate.. I cant see it..

I think or I could be wrong.. Maybe those handsets cache resent looked up contacts. Which are obviously never updated unless you do a fresh lookup.

jsconyers 12-21-2011 11:12 AM

Penguin is correct, and moreover, why would you want all of these contacts on your device when you can easily do a lookup?

juwaack68 12-21-2011 11:14 AM

The higher up you go on the corporate ladder, the less brain cell space they keep for the 'easy' tasks.....

macpegg 12-21-2011 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsconyers (Post 1760265)
Penguin is correct, and moreover, why would you want all of these contacts on your device when you can easily do a lookup?

I agree a lookup is better for many reasons.. But I'm not the user that is wanting this request.. Especially as this one being a high profile user.. (n)

Explaining the perks is most likely my only option..