BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Aftermarket Software (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Signal Location utility for Blackberry BETA... (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=142672)

RemyJ 07-29-2008 06:00 PM

Signal Location utility for Blackberry BETA...
 
Signal-Location Utilities for BlackBerry Readme

Introduction:

SignalLocBB is a FREE utility that captures and displays details about your network connection and location.

This is the first Beta release so feedback is appreciated.

Links:

Signal-Location Utilities for BlackBerry: SourceForge.net: Signal-Location Utility for BlackBerry
OTA Download: http://f5bbutil.sourceforge.net/sign.../signalloc.jad

http://sourceforge.net/dbimage.php?id=181446http://sourceforge.net/dbimage.php?id=181450http://sourceforge.net/dbimage.php?id=181458

Exported data in Google Earth...
http://sourceforge.net/dbimage.php?id=181460

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Features:

* Displays network information such as signal level, services supported,
cell site identification, channel and, if supported by your device and
network, the latitude and longitude of the current cell site, if available.

Service Indicators:
V Voice
D Data
R Roaming
MDS MDS Connectivity through BES
WAP WAP Connectivity through carrier WAP
1XEV
EVDO
GPRS
EDGE
UMTS
SOS
DOP Data Service Opetational
DSUSP Data Service Suspended

Cell Site Id:
CDMA: SystemID-NetworkID-BaseStationID
GSM: RoutingAreaCode-LocationAreaCode-CellID-BaseStationId

Network Details screen provides all available information for the network
and cell site.

* Displays GPS information such as latitude, longitude, altitude, course and
speed. If cell site location is also available, the course and distance
from your current location to the cell site is also displayed.

* Both internal and BlueTooth GPS units are supported. Basically, if Google
Maps and BlackBerry Maps can use a device, so can SignalLoc.

* Can display locations in BlackBerry Maps or Google Maps.

* Can save cell site and location info as they change. Each change of cell
site can be automatically saved and the user can configure how often to
take a current location snapshot nased on distance travelled.

* Exports cell site and location info in KML or CSV format that can be easily
imported to Google Earth and other mapping programs, spreadsheets, etc.
The data can be exported to the clipboard or a media card.

* Displays device information such as battery strength, voltage, temperature,
flash and ram statistics.

* User selectable Imperial or Metric units.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Installation:

Your device MUST be running BlackBerry OS 4.2.1 or greater.

For OTA installation, visit the OTA download link above.

For desktop installation, download the .zip file and extract it. Open the
Desktop Manager and use the Application Loader wizard to load the program to
the handheld.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

John Clark 07-29-2008 06:09 PM

OTA link doesn't work.

RemyJ 07-29-2008 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 1038285)
OTA link doesn't work.

Typo. :oops:
Fixed.

John Clark 07-29-2008 06:15 PM

Desktop Manager install version has no .cod included and .alx file doesn't point to a valid .cod anyway.

Seems this is not quite ready yet.


Edit: It was a blonde moment! Found the right download.

John Clark 07-29-2008 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemyJ (Post 1038291)
Typo. :oops:
Fixed.

Edit....trying again.

SMF 07-29-2008 06:16 PM

This looks sweet (and geeky). Downloading to try it now.


OTA failed. Trying desktop....

Thanks,
SMF

RemyJ 07-29-2008 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 1038292)
Desktop Manager install version has no .cod included and .alx file doesn't point to a valid .cod anyway.

Seems this is not quite ready yet.

Are you sure? I can see the cod and alx just fine and DM finds it ok.

RemyJ 07-29-2008 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMF (Post 1038294)
This looks sweet (and geeky). Downloading to try it now.


OTA failed. Trying desktop....

Thanks,
SMF

Did you happen to catch it before I fixed the OTA link?

John Clark 07-29-2008 06:28 PM

Ok, got it working. It would be nice to be able to see the locations on Google Maps as well as BBMaps. But on GSM I don't get location anyway so moot point for me, I guess.

RemyJ 07-29-2008 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 1038303)
Ok, got it working. It would be nice to be able to see the locations on Google Maps as well as BBMaps. But on GSM I don't get location anyway so moot point for me, I guess.

There doesn't appear to be an invokation api for Google Maps but I'm still looking.

The 8320 doesn't have a GPS?

John Clark 07-29-2008 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemyJ (Post 1038298)
Are you sure? I can see the cod and alx just fine and DM finds it ok.

In the zip file I dowloaded from sourceforge it contains a bunch of .java files but no .cod. The .alx references a generic .cod which doesn't show in the list of files.

I did get the ota to work after you edited it.

John Clark 07-29-2008 06:32 PM

No GPS on 8320. I have a BT GPS but don't have it on right now. I was interested in the cell tower info and device info.

RemyJ 07-29-2008 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 1038305)
In the zip file I dowloaded from sourceforge it contains a bunch of .java files but no .cod. The .alx references a generic .cod which doesn't show in the list of files.

I did get the ota to work after you edited it.

Thats because you downloaded the source zip file instead of the one in the big green box that says "Download" :)

SMF 07-29-2008 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemyJ (Post 1038300)
Did you happen to catch it before I fixed the OTA link?

Must have. Downloading now onto my 8820 and report back.

OK - it's working. I'll have to play with it more when I can stay outside. I got a cell tower and gps lock but the map didn't come up correctly (blank screen).

SMF

John Clark 07-29-2008 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemyJ (Post 1038308)
Thats because you downloaded the source zip file instead of the one in the big green box that says "Download" :)

Well, um....I was just testing you! Yeah, testing you. You passed.

:oops:


...not buying it are you? Found the big green download button! :-)

John Clark 07-29-2008 06:45 PM

This is a neat app. Good work!

RemyJ 07-29-2008 07:17 PM

Thanks! Let me know if there's anything else I can add.

PDM 07-29-2008 07:52 PM

Very informative app. It would be nice to name/rename "Cell Sites".

RemyJ 07-29-2008 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PDM (Post 1038368)
Very informative app. It would be nice to name/rename "Cell Sites".

Good suggestion. I'll work on it.

rdinterman 07-29-2008 08:18 PM

Kind of a fun little app.

Baldie 07-29-2008 08:59 PM

I get an error when I try to see location on map. Any ideas?
java.lang.lllegalargument.exeption

RemyJ 07-29-2008 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baldie (Post 1038417)
I get an error when I try to see location on map. Any ideas?
java.lang.lllegalargument.exeption

Does BlackBerry Maps operate normally?
Which device and OS version?
Can you open the log (<alt>LGLG) and paste the contents of the exception here?

Baldie 07-29-2008 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemyJ (Post 1038430)
Does BlackBerry Maps operate normally?
Which device and OS version?
Can you open the log (<alt>LGLG) and paste the contents of the exception here?

ahhhh...I know why, I removed bbmaps because I had google maps and liked it better. How do I get bbmaps back on....DM??

RemyJ 07-29-2008 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baldie (Post 1038434)
ahhhh...I know why, I removed bbmaps because I had google maps and liked it better. How do I get bbmaps back on....DM??

Ah. Yep, desktop manager should allow you to re-add it. I'm trying to figure out how to launch Google Maps with location data.

Baldie 07-29-2008 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemyJ (Post 1038436)
Ah. Yep, desktop manager should allow you to re-add it. I'm trying to figure out how to launch Google Maps with location data.

If you can figure that out that would be nice. I like google maps waay better.

don.new 07-29-2008 10:09 PM

I also deleted BB Maps a long time ago...

mike2160 07-29-2008 10:11 PM

nice app
 
I have a blackberry 8830 and did the ota install. It works I can see the tower that I am using but not the map info. I am with VZW also. I guess I would have to have navigator to see locations? It would be great to find exactly where to point my yagi antenna. Any suggestions? thanks in advance.:oops:

mike2160 07-29-2008 10:21 PM

ps
 
I do not have the option for the location.

NickfromIL 07-29-2008 10:27 PM

This app will work with Verizon, if you have VZ Nav running in the background. Works great so far!!!

John Clark 07-29-2008 10:28 PM

Without VZNav you have no gps functions. This is stated in the OP.

mike2160 07-29-2008 10:34 PM

opps
 
sorry I missed that. Maybe I will have to add VZ navigator for a month to test this out. Thanks to you both. zzzzzzzzz

NickfromIL 07-29-2008 10:37 PM

Sorry JC, must have missed that. There always seems to be some controversy with VZ Nav and allowing 3rd party apps to use the GPS, so I just figured I would post that I personally have had success. 8-)

Iare Tosevite 07-30-2008 12:32 AM

I found one bug... if network connection is off, it will crash with java null pointer error.

It then keep trying to get information, so it's not a "hard" crash like bbweather does when profile doesn't exist.

Otherwise it's a nice utility app. :)

RemyJ 07-30-2008 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike2160 (Post 1038513)
sorry I missed that. Maybe I will have to add VZ navigator for a month to test this out. Thanks to you both. zzzzzzzzz

Hmmm. I may have to add it for testing as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iare Tosevite (Post 1038590)
I found one bug... if network connection is off, it will crash with java null pointer error.

It then keep trying to get information, so it's not a "hard" crash like bbweather does when profile doesn't exist.

Otherwise it's a nice utility app. :)

Got it. It'll be fixed later today.

tbhuang2 07-30-2008 02:32 AM

Wow, this is awesome!! Being free makes it nothing short of amazing :)

Klotar 07-30-2008 10:29 AM

I installed it this morning, very nice and informative app.

However, I noticed that even though the GPS info screen showed me as not moving, my coordinates kept changing and my elevation kept getting higher and higher and higher (no, I was not going up an elevator). I'll play with it more and see if that was a one-time thing.

don.new 07-30-2008 10:33 AM

Any chance it will eventually work with Google Maps? I really don't want to have BB Maps on my phone unless I need it.

RemyJ 07-30-2008 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klotar (Post 1039042)
I installed it this morning, very nice and informative app.

However, I noticed that even though the GPS info screen showed me as not moving, my coordinates kept changing and my elevation kept getting higher and higher and higher (no, I was not going up an elevator). I'll play with it more and see if that was a one-time thing.

It's an artifact of the GPS error. Even when you're stopped, you'll appear to be moving around inside the sphere defined by the vertical and horizontal error. The GPS Details page displays exactly what the GPS is reporting. On the main page, I suppress the speed and course when the speed is < 1m/s.

RemyJ 07-30-2008 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by don.new (Post 1039046)
Any chance it will eventually work with Google Maps? I really don't want to have BB Maps on my phone unless I need it.

I was working on it last night but it's not looking good. The only documentation I can find on how to start Google Maps with landmarks requires me to upload the list to a server, then start Google Maps with the network URL. I'm still investigating though.

RemyJ 07-30-2008 05:31 PM

I just uploaded a new version...

Signal Location Utilities for BlackBerry Change Log

--- SignalLocBB - Build 0.1.710 - Released July 30 2008

* Added: [ 2032956 ] Allow export to KML
* Fixed: [ 2032917 ] NPE cancelling from file save
* Fixed: [ 2032914 ] NPE if Radio is off
* Minor UI tweaks and typo corrections.

--- SignalLocBB - Build 0.1.704 - Released July 29 2008

* Initial BETA release.

Iare Tosevite 07-30-2008 07:36 PM

Hmm it said it was same version so bb asked me if I wanted to overwrite it?

I clicked no because it seems to be same version?

RemyJ 07-30-2008 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iare Tosevite (Post 1039752)
Hmm it said it was same version so bb asked me if I wanted to overwrite it?

I clicked no because it seems to be same version?


Hmmm. It downloads as 0.1.710 for me. Clear the browser cache maybe?

tbhuang2 07-30-2008 08:09 PM

This is a little strange for me. It doesn't seem to fit in my 8130 screen properly.
The only things I see labeled are Time, Net, Svc, Id/Ch, and Speed, but Speed has no value. There are values for signal. No labels nor values for Loc. I have GPS enabled, is that all I need? On the bottom right of my screen I see a little arrow pointing down as if I can scroll, but I cannot.
Finally, when I look at "View Details" in my Saved Cell Sites, the values for Lat, Lon, and Alt are all 0.0
What am I doing wrong?

RemyJ 07-30-2008 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbhuang2 (Post 1039782)
This is a little strange for me. It doesn't seem to fit in my 8130 screen properly.
The only things I see labeled are Time, Net, Svc, Id/Ch, and Speed, but Speed has no value. There are values for signal. No labels nor values for Loc. I have GPS enabled, is that all I need? On the bottom right of my screen I see a little arrow pointing down as if I can scroll, but I cannot.
Finally, when I look at "View Details" in my Saved Cell Sites, the values for Lat, Lon, and Alt are all 0.0
What am I doing wrong?

It may have to do with the font you use. Change to BBMillibankTall and size 7 and see what happens. I'll have to put an option for selecting a font specifically for this app.

Also, make sire that in Options, you have the "Carrier provides cell site location" checked. You'll have to restart the app for this to take effect.

tbhuang2 07-30-2008 08:45 PM

Thanks, that worked. But aw, I don't want to give up BBAlpha Sans :(

RemyJ 07-30-2008 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbhuang2 (Post 1039829)
Thanks, that worked. But aw, I don't want to give up BBAlpha Sans :(

I'm adding the option to set a font specifically for SignalLoc.

tbhuang2 07-30-2008 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemyJ (Post 1039850)
I'm adding the option to set a font specifically for SignalLoc.

Wow Remy, you are just being the most helpful and responsive software developer to everyone, haha. Much props to you (y)

Iare Tosevite 07-30-2008 09:33 PM

Ahh it was indeed browser cache... I got updated version. I'll test it later.

tbhuang2 07-31-2008 12:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
About integrating Google Maps, another 3rd party that is promoted among the BBF community is Poynt. In their last release, which was actually released earlier today, Google Maps is now an option for mapping. Previously, BB maps was the only option. Just letting you know, if you haven't, it's possible!

Also, I tried exporting my saved cell sites for the first time. It took a few tries just to get it to actually export. A few times I would enter a file name, click OK, and the file appears to be showing in the File Explorer subscreen. But when I try exporting again to make sure it's there, it's gone! I got it to save somehow eventually. I hooked it up to my computer, browsed to my SD card, and I found the file, but it had no file extension. I manually added ".kml". Finally, I opened the file through Google Earth.. and you know what I saw? It says my cell tower is in the Atlantic Ocean, just south of Ghana. I'm actually in a suburb north of Chicago, IL. WOW! I'm attaching the file here so you can see for yourself.

BFEINZIMER 07-31-2008 03:08 AM

"Uncaught exception: permission denied"

Verizon 8830 OS 4.5.0.51, all permissions set on ALLOW

Any ideas?

a net.rim.tcp - clos - 7/31 01:04:07
a net.rim.tunnel - Clos- - 7/31 01:04:07
a net.rim.tunnel - STac- - 7/31 01:04:07
a net.rim.tunnel - Open- - 7/31 01:04:07
a net.rim.tcp - open - 7/31 01:04:07
a UI - GS-D dbb1e863 - 7/31 01:04:06
a UI - GS+Q2 dbb1e863net.rim.device.internal.ui.component.Trace BackDialog - 7/31 01:04:05
S Java Exception - SecurityException - 7/31 01:04:05
| Permission denied
| net_rim_locationapi
| LocationProvider
| checkSecurity
| 0x3B05
| net_rim_locationapi
| BluetoothSerialPortGPSProvider
| setLocationListener
| 0xE43
| signalloc
| Worker
| setGpsLocationListener
| 0x49B4
| signalloc
| Worker
| <init>
| 0x4CDC
| signalloc
| Worker
| startup
| 0x4D0E
| signalloc
| SignalLoc
| startup
| 0x3992
| signalloc
| SignalLoc
| main
| 0x3A02
a SignalLoc - Registered listeners - 7/31 01:04:05
a System - CMM: signalloc(5007) no sig from 0x33 - 7/31 01:04:05
a System - CMM: signalloc(5007) no sig from 0x33 - 7/31 01:04:05

RemyJ 07-31-2008 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbhuang2 (Post 1040107)
About integrating Google Maps, another 3rd party that is promoted among the BBF community is Poynt. In their last release, which was actually released earlier today, Google Maps is now an option for mapping. Previously, BB maps was the only option. Just letting you know, if you haven't, it's possible!

Also, I tried exporting my saved cell sites for the first time. It took a few tries just to get it to actually export. A few times I would enter a file name, click OK, and the file appears to be showing in the File Explorer subscreen. But when I try exporting again to make sure it's there, it's gone! I got it to save somehow eventually. I hooked it up to my computer, browsed to my SD card, and I found the file, but it had no file extension. I manually added ".kml". Finally, I opened the file through Google Earth.. and you know what I saw? It says my cell tower is in the Atlantic Ocean, just south of Ghana. I'm actually in a suburb north of Chicago, IL. WOW! I'm attaching the file here so you can see for yourself.

Thanks for tip on Poynt. I'll take a look.
Bug in "Save File". I'll fix today.
Do you have "Carrier provides cell site location" checked in options? Does the cell site location display above the separator line in the main screen?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BFEINZIMER (Post 1040231)
"Uncaught exception: permission denied"

Verizon 8830 OS 4.5.0.51, all permissions set on ALLOW

Any ideas?

S Java Exception - SecurityException - 7/31 01:04:05
| Permission denied
| net_rim_locationapi
| LocationProvider
| checkSecurity
| 0x3B05

Well, I don't have 4.5 to test with but I'll retest my Verizon 8830 with my bluetooth puck on 4.2.2

tbhuang2 07-31-2008 11:49 AM

Oh, I figured out how to get it to really export. After typing in the file name and clicking OK, you see the file in the File Explorer subscreen. Press the "Enter" key and it will save it.

I do have "Carrier provides cell sit location" checked in options, and the cell site location does display above the separator line. The cell site location only shows up when I have GPS enabled, which doesn't make sense to me, but that's how it's working for me.

RemyJ 07-31-2008 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbhuang2 (Post 1040723)
Oh, I figured out how to get it to really export. After typing in the file name and clicking OK, you see the file in the File Explorer subscreen. Press the "Enter" key and it will save it.

I do have "Carrier provides cell sit location" checked in options, and the cell site location does display above the separator line. The cell site location only shows up when I have GPS enabled, which doesn't make sense to me, but that's how it's working for me.

I'll have another version out in a few hours.

When you have GPS disabled, you're really disabling the entire Location Based Services bundle and it's the same APIs to get both GPS and cell site locations.

Iare Tosevite 07-31-2008 06:25 PM

Realiability on getting GPS inform seems to be little off on 8830. Most times it just says "Not yet valid".

WillJitsu 07-31-2008 06:27 PM

Just to clear things up, does this program tell me which cell tower my phone is currently using?

I'm using Sprint as my carrier.

RemyJ 07-31-2008 06:44 PM

--- SignalLocBB - Build 0.1.720 - Released July 31 2008

* Added: [ 2034059 ] Allow selection of font specifically for app
* Fixed: [ 2034058 ] File Export works in simulator but not on real devices
* Fixed: [ 2034443 ] Misc exceptions on Verizon devices
* Fixed: [ 2034474 ] Slow GPS acquisition
* Minor UI tweaks and typo corrections.

Don't forget to clear your browser cache before downloading.

RemyJ 07-31-2008 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iare Tosevite (Post 1041207)
Realiability on getting GPS inform seems to be little off on 8830. Most times it just says "Not yet valid".

Try build 720. I just uploaded it. It has some GPS acquisition fixes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillJitsu (Post 1041208)
Just to clear things up, does this program tell me which cell tower my phone is currently using?

I'm using Sprint as my carrier.

Assuming you have an 8830 then with Sprint, you get cell tower information including it's location.

RemyJ 07-31-2008 06:48 PM

Just FYI...

I tested build 720 on...
Verizon 8830 with Pharos BT GPS
AT&T 8820 with internal GPS
AT&T 8700 with Pharos BT GPS
Sprint 8830 with internal GPS

PDM 07-31-2008 07:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just installed the new release and found the text on the screen alittle on the minute side... So, I go to :
Options >Base font size > 20 > exit > save

Closed app, restarted and re-checked settings were saved.... BUT, I still see "minute font size" on screen... Any ideas?

RemyJ 07-31-2008 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PDM (Post 1041278)
I just installed the new release and found the text on the screen alittle on the minute side... So, I go to :
Options >Base font size > 20 > exit > save

Closed app, restarted and re-checked settings were saved.... BUT, I still see "minute font size" on screen... Any ideas?

AAHHHHHH! Give me an hour and I'll put up a new version. Sorry.

Iare Tosevite 07-31-2008 08:46 PM

Oh yeah! One other thing is that it keeps saying that I'm roaming for some reason, even when I don't have that blue arrow.

RemyJ 07-31-2008 09:18 PM

--- SignalLocBB - Build 0.1.722 - Released July 31 2008

* Fixed: [ 2034523 ] Font size changes aren't working

Don't forget to clear your browser cache before downloading.

RemyJ 07-31-2008 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iare Tosevite (Post 1041336)
Oh yeah! One other thing is that it keeps saying that I'm roaming for some reason, even when I don't have that blue arrow.

The roaming indicator in SignalLoc comes directly from the RadioInfo.getNetworkService() api. It's possible that some other RIM code is interpreting it in combination with other information and deciding that the handset really isn't roaming. What's the SID-NID-BID for the cell site? You can look it up and see who the real owner is.

WillJitsu 07-31-2008 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemyJ (Post 1041224)
Assuming you have an 8830 then with Sprint, you get cell tower information including it's location.

Does it have to be an 8830? I have an 8130 with Sprint.

RemyJ 08-01-2008 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillJitsu (Post 1041497)
Does it have to be an 8830? I have an 8130 with Sprint.

Sorry, an 8130 should work fine.

tbhuang2 08-01-2008 02:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I installed Build 0.1.722 before taking a short trip tonight. I have Automatically save new cell sites and Carrier provides cell site location both enabled. All other options are at default values.
First, I don't know if this matters or not but for my location it said GPS Unassisted (it is currently set at default value, i.e. Assisted).
Second, the file export worked but I still had to manually type the .kml extension on my computer.
Third, the location for every cell tower is still in the Atlantic Ocean, south of Ghana. Again, I'm in a suburb north of Chicago, IL.
I never saved My Location, but my location's coordinates seemed to be similar to the cell towers (so I suppose it would also say that I am in the Atlantic Ocean). Again, my results are attached.
On the plus side, it monitored my speeds very accurately, and the distance to the current tower seemed to coincide with my signal (as my distance increased, signal generally weakened until reaching a new cell tower).

RemyJ 08-01-2008 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbhuang2 (Post 1041668)
I installed Build 0.1.722 before taking a short trip tonight. I have Automatically save new cell sites and Carrier provides cell site location both enabled. All other options are at default values.
First, I don't know if this matters or not but for my location it said GPS Unassisted (it is currently set at default value, i.e. Assisted).
Second, the file export worked but I still had to manually type the .kml extension on my computer.
Third, the location for every cell tower is still in the Atlantic Ocean, south of Ghana. Again, I'm in a suburb north of Chicago, IL.
I never saved My Location, but my location's coordinates seemed to be similar to the cell towers (so I suppose it would also say that I am in the Atlantic Ocean). Again, my results are attached.
On the plus side, it monitored my speeds very accurately, and the distance to the current tower seemed to coincide with my signal (as my distance increased, signal generally weakened until reaching a new cell tower).

The Assisted/Unassisted thing doesn't matter. With the latest change to the GPS acquisition code, the option doesn't do anything. I'm going to remove it in the next release.

The export doesn't automatically add the file extension so are you typing the file extension when you save the file and it's not saving it that way?

I think I figured out the issue with the cell sites showing at coordinates 0.0,0.0.

Expect another release later today.

neftv 08-01-2008 09:48 AM

I too loaded the software last night. It must of been the older version because when I put the font size to 24 then a restarted the application I kept getting error and I had to do a soft boot on my phone. I will get the new version now.

tbhuang2 08-01-2008 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemyJ (Post 1041901)
The export doesn't automatically add the file extension so are you typing the file extension when you save the file and it's not saving it that way?

I don't type the file extension when exporting to file. I add the extension after transferring the extension-less file to my PC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemyJ (Post 1041901)
Expect another release later today.

Awesome!! :)

RemyJ 08-01-2008 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbhuang2 (Post 1042105)
I don't type the file extension when exporting to file. I add the extension after transferring the extension-less file to my PC.

Are you looking for me to automatically add the extension?

neftv 08-01-2008 12:14 PM

I downloaded version from your first post. I see it as 0.1.722 in application listing in my BB. I had changed the font to 24 before and now when I load this on I still have a pop up error message and my phone stalls every few second when I move the mouse. Help?

Added...I am uninstalling.

RemyJ 08-01-2008 12:28 PM

What's the error message in the pop-up?

Also, if you delete the application (Options->Advanced->Applications) it'll delete the settings and allow you to start fresh.

neftv 08-01-2008 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemyJ (Post 1042154)
What's the error message in the pop-up?

Also, if you delete the application (Options->Advanced->Applications) it'll delete the settings and allow you to start fresh.

I uninstalled as you said and reinstalled. I have the same pop up message it say
worker location java.lang.illegalstate Exception US engine accessed without holding the event lock Now I cant ok out of it. Its froze. I have to hit the hangup key to go and uninstall it again.

RemyJ 08-01-2008 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neftv (Post 1042191)
I uninstalled as you said and reinstalled. I have the same pop up message it say
worker location java.lang.illegalstate Exception US engine accessed without holding the event lock Now I cant ok out of it. Its froze. I have to hit the hangup key to go and uninstall it again.

OK, I'm looking at it.

RemyJ 08-01-2008 07:54 PM

--- SignalLocBB - Build 0.1.726 - Released August 1 2008

* Fixed: [ 2035268 ] Possible exception before entering event loop
* Fixed: [ 2035114 ] CellSite exports to KML aren't saving lat/lon
* Added: [ 2035116 ] Allow GoogleMaps to be used as the map display

You can now use Google Maps as your mapping program (set in Options) but I still haven't figured out how to pass multiple locations at a time, so you can use it for single location or cell site displays but the "display all..." option still invokes BlackBerry Maps.

Don't forget to clear your browser cache before downloading.

RemyJ 08-01-2008 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neftv (Post 1042191)
I uninstalled as you said and reinstalled. I have the same pop up message it say
worker location java.lang.illegalstate Exception US engine accessed without holding the event lock Now I cant ok out of it. Its froze. I have to hit the hangup key to go and uninstall it again.

Give version 726 a shot and see if it fixes your problem. I think it will.

cody 08-01-2008 08:34 PM

Nice work RemyJ.

nice little app. (y)

mike2160 08-01-2008 08:34 PM

use
 
what do people use this for?:bb::idea:

don.new 08-01-2008 09:08 PM

I'm getting my location showing in Africa on G Maps and I read the above posts and still can't fix it. Could you please suggest some settings which I might have wrong under Options?

Also sometimes when exiting the app I get APP ERROR 523 RESET and click to reboot. Help!

Thanks

RemyJ 08-01-2008 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by don.new (Post 1042798)
I'm getting my location showing in Africa on G Maps and I read the above posts and still can't fix it. Could you please suggest some settings which I might have wrong under Options?

Also sometimes when exiting the app I get APP ERROR 523 RESET and click to reboot. Help!

Thanks

I'm not seeing this on any of my devices. What OS version are you running? Do you have the "Carrier provides cell site location" option turned on? Do the you see the same problem with BlackBerry Maps?

As for the 523, I don't have a clue. I've never seen it or even heard of it before. When the device comes back up, can you look at the log and see if there are any relevent entries? Also, is this the first time you've seen that error?

don.new 08-01-2008 09:57 PM

Thanks Remy, 8320 4.5.0.53 T-Mobile USA BIS. I don't have BB Maps on the phone. I have seen 523, long time ago, I think I had downloaded the wrong version app for my phone at that time. Please advise on the other settings in Options. Thanks

neftv 08-01-2008 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemyJ (Post 1042731)
Give version 726 a shot and see if it fixes your problem. I think it will.


The OTA download still comes up as 722.

don.new 08-01-2008 10:14 PM

I got 726. Hit "Refresh" in your browser menu before downloading.

neftv 08-01-2008 10:20 PM

How many times? I refreshed 5 times I still get 722. I am trying the OTA link as it appears in the forums via wap on the BB browser

neftv 08-01-2008 10:22 PM

I cleared cache on in the browser I am now loading the program. Geez.

neftv 08-01-2008 10:28 PM

It still have error Worker location Java.lang.illegalstate Exception: UI engine accessed without holding the event lock.
Also, it is on 24 font size like what I did before I got the error in the earlier version so I can see it. So even though I delete from Applications it remembers that some how..
Time to uninstall.

RemyJ 08-01-2008 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neftv (Post 1042867)
It still has error Worker location Java.lang.illegalstate Exception: UI engine accessed without holding the event lock.
Also, it is on 24 font size like what I did before I got the error in the earlier version so I can see it. So even though I delete from Applications it remembers that some how..
Time to uninstall.

Hmmm. I can't reproduce this on any device or simulator. Can you go to the log and paste the full stack trace?

I don't think it has anything to do with the font but I'll check again. Remind me again which font you're using.


AHHHHH. I found it. BTW, you can get out of it just by pressing the escape key rapidly.

RemyJ 08-01-2008 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by don.new (Post 1042833)
Thanks Remy, 8320 4.5.0.53 T-Mobile USA BIS. I don't have BB Maps on the phone. I have seen 523, long time ago, I think I had downloaded the wrong version app for my phone at that time. Please advise on the other settings in Options. Thanks

Also can you check something for me... When you have a good GPS fix, save the location, then go to the List Saved Locations screen, select the location you just saved, then open it's details. Check that the latitude and loingitude have valid entries, then try opening it in maps and see what happens.

RemyJ 08-01-2008 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemyJ (Post 1042878)
Hmmm. I can't reproduce this on any device or simulator. Can you go to the log and paste the full stack trace?

I don't think it has anything to do with the font but I'll check again. Remind me again which font you're using.


AHHHHH. I found it. BTW, you can get out of it just by pressing the escape key rapidly.

Oh yeah, you can also stop it from happening temporarily by turning off your radio, then going back into SignalLoc and reducing the font to < 20.

tbhuang2 08-01-2008 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemyJ (Post 1042729)
* Fixed: [ 2035114 ] CellSite exports to KML aren't saving lat/lon
* Added: [ 2035116 ] Allow GoogleMaps to be used as the map display

I updated to the new build then re-exported my saved cell sites. They still all show up at 0 Lat 0 Lon on Google Earth (View details on BB shows that they do have valid numbers, however)! Do I need to clear my saved cell sites and just recompile my list?

Also, when I try "View on map" I get a "Launching map java.lang.IllegalArgumentException" error. I have Google Maps 2.2.2 and no BBMaps. Any tips on this?

neftv 08-01-2008 11:11 PM

Wirelessly posted

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemyJ
Quote:

Originally Posted by neftv (Post 1042867)
It still has error Worker location Java.lang.illegalstate Exception: UI engine accessed without holding the event lock.
Also, it is on 24 font size like what I did before I got the error in the earlier version so I can see it. So even though I delete from Applications it remembers that some how..
Time to uninstall.

Hmmm. I can't reproduce this on any device or simulator. Can you go to the log and paste the full stack trace?

I don't think it has anything to do with the font but I'll check again. Remind me again which font you're using.


AHHHHH. I found it. BTW, you can get out of it just by pressing the escape key rapidly.

UIE: Focus - target lost, prev=net.rim.device.apps.internal.ribbon.Applicati onMenu@7152bdfb, input=null, app=com.fairview5.signalloc.SignalLoc@6dc6fa1, L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L, L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L, L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,
And
No detail message
net_rim_cldc-1
Thread
start
0xB5EE
net_rim_cldc-5
Application
startModalEventThread
0x17BC
net_rim_cldc-8
UiEngineImpl
pushModalScreen
0xA403
net_rim_cldc-9
Dialog
doModal
0x7859
net_rim_cldc-9
Dialog
alert
0x82DB
?0x223
?0x223
?0x223
0x48F7
net_rim_cldc-5
Application
dispatchInvokeLater
0xAAC
net_rim_cldc-5
Application
processNextMessage
0x123D
net_rim_cldc-6
ModalEventThread
run
0xC0DA
Is this what your looking for?

RemyJ 08-01-2008 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbhuang2 (Post 1042887)
I updated to the new build then re-exported my saved cell sites. They still all show up at 0 Lat 0 Lon on Google Earth (View details on BB shows that they do have valid numbers, however)! Do I need to clear my saved cell sites and just recompile my list?

Also, when I try "View on map" I get a "Launching map java.lang.IllegalArgumentException" error. I have Google Maps 2.2.2 and no BBMaps. Any tips on this?

Yeah, the KML is actually built at the time the site was captured so you have to delete and recompile the list. Sorry.

In Options do you have Google Maps selected as the mapping application? Do you have BBMaps in the list as a possible application? You shouldn't. Try making any change to options and saving and restarting.

tbhuang2 08-01-2008 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemyJ (Post 1042926)
Yeah, the KML is actually built at the time the site was captured so you have to delete and recompile the list. Sorry.

No worries. Just glad it works now (y)

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemyJ (Post 1042926)
In Options do you have Google Maps selected as the mapping application? Do you have BBMaps in the list as a possible application? You shouldn't. Try making any change to options and saving and restarting.

BBMaps was not in the list of possible applications, so that checks out. All I had to do was change something, hit Save, then try again. It worked. Before, when I got the error, I tried mapping without changing any of the Options. So I guess invoking the "Save" function does the trick!

don.new 08-02-2008 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemyJ (Post 1042883)
Also can you check something for me... When you have a good GPS fix, save the location, then go to the List Saved Locations screen, select the location you just saved, then open it's details. Check that the latitude and loingitude have valid entries, then try opening it in maps and see what happens.

You don't really mean GPS, do you? 8320 has no GPS. Also, I always get Current Location "Not yet valid". Does it take time to "get a fix"? I get id/ch but Loc stays blank and if I look, there are no lat/long readings. What about all those other settings...

RemyJ 08-02-2008 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by don.new (Post 1043018)
You don't really mean GPS, do you? 8320 has no GPS. Also, I always get Current Location "Not yet valid". Does it take time to "get a fix"? I get id/ch but Loc stays blank and if I look, there are no lat/long readings. What about all those other settings...

Well, with no GPS (I thought you might have had a BlueTooth unit) there's no way for the program to determine location so they're reported at 0,0. Also, you should have "Carrier provides cell site location" turned off. GSM networks don't provide it.

PDM 08-02-2008 11:30 AM

I believe I have only ever seen :
Quote:

Current : Not yet valid
even though the device GPS is enabled

RemyJ 08-02-2008 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PDM (Post 1043276)
I believe I have only ever seen :

even though the device GPS is enabled

If you open Google Maps or BlackBerry Maps so you get a GPS fix? Are any other mapping programs open at the time? The normal behavior for the mapping programs is to stay open in the background. You have to use their menus to specifically close/exit them. If you go to Options/Advanced/GPS do you get a valid GPS fix when you take the Refresh GPS option?

John Clark 08-02-2008 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neftv (Post 1042191)
I uninstalled as you said and reinstalled. I have the same pop up message it say
worker location java.lang.illegalstate Exception US engine accessed without holding the event lock Now I cant ok out of it. Its froze. I have to hit the hangup key to go and uninstall it again.

I installed 726, as well, and got this same error when I made the font 25 and tried to escape out of the app. Now I can't do anything with the app at all. I rebooted and opened the app. I got this error again. No way to fix it. Can't even get to the settings.

John Clark 08-02-2008 12:36 PM

And deleting the app and resinstalling it KEPT the settings and the same thing happens. I can no longer use this app. I can't get into it to change the settings.

John Clark 08-02-2008 12:43 PM

I'm guessing something is saved in RMS database? I don't really want to clear that as then I lose all my logins for JiveTalk and settings for other apps.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.