BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BES Admin Corner (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   BES Information please (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=35271)

f!ver 05-15-2006 04:10 PM

BES Information please

We will be setting up our BES tommorrow..quick questions...any user who will be using BES will have to have an unlimited data plan? And/or do any of you guys have any comments or suggestions of things that should be done before we turn everything up.
Thanks

jibi 05-15-2006 04:48 PM

1 - Depends on your carrier and what your intentions are for wireless application management (push deliverables) and wireless backup of the handhelds (enabled by default on every user starting with BES 4.0 and above). Normal data charges shouldn't put you over any sort of standard limits, but some users could likely get carried away with MDS services (if you have them enabled). T-Mobile charges $10 extra for Enterprise provisioning over BIS usage.

2 - Read the manual and make sure that you have ALL of your ducks in a row. If you skip a step, then it will likely fail. If you login using the wrong account (domain administrator, for instance), then it will likely fail. I've never had a bad installation of the server - ever. And I'd say that 90% or more of all installation failures is due to the fact that someone didn't read or didn't understand the installation manual (and its REALLY easy to understand).

f!ver 05-15-2006 05:26 PM

currently I have a plan of

4.99 - text messages
34.99 - BIS (4mb)

and Im with cingular

so you telling me I might have to pay an extra 10 bucks to use it with the BES.....Im pretty stupid lol...sorry for asking so much..im not installing it..our IT guys are..I just didnt know if id have to increase my plan or what

jibi 05-16-2006 12:16 AM

last month i used a modest 9.8MB worth of data. the month prior to that, which would have been prior to my BES 4.1 installation, tallied me 1.9MB. the big difference between the two were automatic wireless backup being enabled (previously not enabled on my BES 4.0 rollout).

cingular charges a penny-per-kilobyte for overages, so that extra $10/mo for unlimited data could save you some money (savings start at 5MB or more usage). really depends on what you're going to want to do.

f!ver 05-16-2006 12:55 AM

Well I wouldent go over if I paid the 44.99 BIS charge right?... I just dont know where your getting the 10 dollars from?

How is your bill set up? what all do you pay for?

jibi 05-16-2006 08:28 AM

you pay $34.99 for the limited 4MB plan. the unlimited plan is $44.99. that is an extra $10.

f!ver 05-16-2006 09:43 AM

Ohhhh ok gotcha....too bad they make you pay for that data plan....I was hopeing that it used thi pin or something like that. Oh well...now to get my company to pay for my data.