BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 8300 Series Discussion - Curve (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   T-Mobile Software Update Erases Apps (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=182388)

barkway 03-22-2009 08:34 AM

T-Mobile Software Update Erases Apps

I have the BB Curve and version 4.2.2.180 of the software. T-Mobile offers an update to this software that adds video functionality as well as some fixes I'd like to take advantage of but here's my problem:
I discovered that IF you update to this new software version, you will losse any third party apps you have installed on your device! As part of the update install, it has to erase all data (you get a warning message before "install" which I quickly backed out of).
I called T-Mobile and Blackberry to confirm this, and it is indeed true that the update will erase any third party apps. I don't want the hassle of reinstalling everything again as well as having to back up any data I've saved related to those apps so I haven't updated. Isn't there a way around this MAJOR SNAFU so we can take advantage of the improvements of the update?
:x

juwaack68 03-22-2009 08:44 AM

Uh, that's not entirely true. I've done HUNDREDS of upgrades on devices and 99.9% of applications stay installed (Facebook is the one exception I've run across).

You can also use this handy guide to backup your 3rd party apps.

How do I backup my Third Party Applications on my BB? - BlackBerryFAQ

ndub33 03-22-2009 08:48 AM

Juwaack is correct, this is generally not the case. Backing up your apps using the steps in the link she provided is always a good idea, as good due dilligence.

Moving this thread to the General 8300 Forum.

barkway 03-22-2009 08:51 AM

That backup/restore won't protect the applications, only the related Data. I called a BB tech and asked. He confirmed this to me.
I'm specifically interested in not losing or screwing up my Audible application which I use daily and that was a royal pain in the arse to get working on the Curve so am not eager to have to reinstall it.

juwaack68 03-22-2009 08:57 AM

Have you tried to do the upgrade? Before the ugprade starts, you have an option to see all the applications that will be included when the restore happens - each application has a checkmark next to it, and until the very last step of the upgrade wizard, you can cancel if you're not comfortable.

Just out of curiosity what was so difficult about getting the Audible application installed?

barkway 03-22-2009 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juwaack68 (Post 1328749)
Have you tried to do the upgrade? Before the ugprade starts, you have an option to see all the applications that will be included when the restore happens - each application has a checkmark next to it, and until the very last step of the upgrade wizard, you can cancel if you're not comfortable.

Just out of curiosity what was so difficult about getting the Audible application installed?

I never got that option (to select apps as part of the process). I got a warning message that all data would be erased at that juncture (where I backed out of the install because of that message).

I installed the Audbile over a year ago so don't remember all the problems...just that I spent two days on the phone with both Audible and Blackberry getting it installed and working properly after a series of errors.

juwaack68 03-22-2009 09:05 AM

There is an Options button in Desktop Manager that you can click and it will give you the list of applications with all the check boxes.

Or even easier, don't use the full-blown Desktop Manager application for the install. Go into c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and double click on Loader.exe (same program that is used w/in DM). I never use the full blown DM anymore - I only use loader.exe when doing upgrades.

Start loader.exe, then connect your BB. Can't miss the checked boxes.

barkway 03-22-2009 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juwaack68 (Post 1328757)
There is an Options button in Desktop Manager that you can click and it will give you the list of applications with all the check boxes.

Or even easier, don't use the full-blown Desktop Manager application for the install. Go into c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and double click on Loader.exe (same program that is used w/in DM). I never use the full blown DM anymore - I only use loader.exe when doing upgrades.

Start loader.exe, then connect your BB. Can't miss the checked boxes.

I'll give it a try. Does it list third party apps? Or only the apps that came installed on the device? What if I don't even see the apps I'm looking for when the list appears? (meaning they aren't in the list)

juwaack68 03-22-2009 09:13 AM

It lists all applications installed on the device.

JSanders 03-22-2009 01:07 PM

Wirelessly posted (9530; .135 MF231)

And if you're that worried, do the third party back up as recommended. The people above are correct. Your TMo and RIM rep were both wrong in this case.

the lbg 03-22-2009 02:09 PM

Where are you getting the update from? I would like to update my software.

Trimix 03-22-2009 03:39 PM

I think you're already running the most up to date OS with 4.5.81.

the lbg 03-22-2009 04:42 PM

Oh. Ok. Thanks. :)

mvincelli 03-28-2009 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the lbg (Post 1328946)
Where are you getting the update from? I would like to update my software.

The software upgrade for your device on T-Mobile can be found at,
Unsupported Browser
You will need to sign into your account or set up account access if you do not have it already set up.
Also upgrade to the latest version of the Desktop Manager first if you need it.
Thanks!!