BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BlackBerry Help (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Losing Call Logs, SMS or Emails? Optimize your BB! How To Setup for max free memory! (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=112029)

John Clark 06-30-2008 10:40 PM

It depends on what all you did. Is the vendor.xml file deleted? Did you remove any .cod's from the java folder? Are you going all the way through the apploader?

MisterEd 06-30-2008 10:43 PM

Only .cods I removed were T-Mobile favs (3 files). vendor.xml is gone. Yes, I went all the way through.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 995130)
It depends on what all you did. Is the vendor.xml file deleted? Did you remove any .cod's from the java folder? Are you going all the way through the apploader?

MisterEd 06-30-2008 10:50 PM

There is nothing I have to do with LBS.alx, correct?

MrCmonster 06-30-2008 10:56 PM

Hey John,

Thanks for the VERY well written instructions. Great work!

John Clark 06-30-2008 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterEd (Post 995144)
There is nothing I have to do with LBS.alx, correct?

Not with OS 4.5. BBMaps is controlled with Service Books, not the .alx anymore.

ubizmo 07-01-2008 09:12 AM

If I know in advance that I'm not interested in any themes except T-mobile Zen, then is there any point to editing the blackberry.alx file. From your instructions, it seems that deleting all the "vendorID" lines only gives me access to themes from other vendors. If I don't want them, can this step be skipped?

TRIdad 07-01-2008 03:53 PM

thank you

KeNNethX 07-02-2008 03:06 PM

I just noticed since I have done this...that I can't add a new Exception in profiles...any advice on what I could have removed that would control this?

KeNNethX 07-02-2008 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ubizmo (Post 995632)
If I know in advance that I'm not interested in any themes except T-mobile Zen, then is there any point to editing the blackberry.alx file. From your instructions, it seems that deleting all the "vendorID" lines only gives me access to themes from other vendors. If I don't want them, can this step be skipped?

I have wondrered the same thing.

KeNNethX 07-02-2008 03:10 PM

Has everyone seen the free app MaxMem that just came out at BerryCoder dot com? Seems like should automatically do some of what John's guide does.

fkjr2 07-02-2008 03:44 PM

I just used Maxmem by berrycoder.com - hope its safe :)

NobelNobel 07-03-2008 08:41 AM

BB 8800 for Vodafone

Many Thanks for this great information
I want to ask, is there any way to work with BB T-Mobil on Vodafone service
I have BB 8800, T-Mobil, but my Vodafone does'nt support this model,
What I can do, besied broke my BB 8800 ???? :smile:

ricpac 07-03-2008 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ubizmo (Post 995632)

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeNNethX (Post 997884)
I have wondrered the same thing.

You guys missed this:
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 792173)
Edit: If you'd like to just use the Dimension zen theme you can safely remove the bbdimension icon, bbdimension L, and bbdimension today. I, personally, just use TMo Zen so the only themes I have installed are the bbdimension zen, and TMobile Zen. Everything else is removed.

Note: Be careful when removing a theme that might be in use. If you remove a theme that is currently in use your BB will boot up to a black and white screen with basic icons. If this happens, simply navigate to the swiss army knife icon (options or settings) and then scroll down to themes and select a theme. Your BB doesn't know what theme to use if you delete the one it's using so it boots with the basic default theme included with the OS.

ricpac 07-03-2008 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeNNethX (Post 997892)
Has everyone seen the free app MaxMem that just came out at BerryCoder dot com? Seems like should automatically do some of what John's guide does.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fkjr2 (Post 997938)
I just used Maxmem by berrycoder.com - hope its safe :)

Good luck with that guys! Let us know how things go...

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobelNobel (Post 998814)
Many Thanks for this great information
I want to ask, is there any way to work with BB T-Mobil on Vodafone service
I have BB 8800, T-Mobil, but my Vodafone does'nt support this model,
What I can do, besied broke my BB 8800 ???? :smile:

A T-Mobil BB on the Vodafone network? Of course. Just make sure it's unlocked. Read this > How do I determine if my BlackBerry is "unlocked"? - BlackBerryFAQ

KeNNethX 07-03-2008 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricpac (Post 998835)
You guys missed this:

That doesn't answer my question about if you have to edit the BlackBerry.alx....only if you remove the theme.cods.

KeNNethX 07-03-2008 09:32 AM

UPDATE: I figured this out. If you don't have...

net_rim_bb_media_tunebundles_sonicnetworks.cod

You can't add a new exception in Profiles. Needless to say for 263k I added it back.

John: Now when I goto profiles, advanced and I want to add an Exception (for ringtones from a specific caller) I can't. What could I have removed from your list that would cause this?

toushiro22jinta 07-04-2008 06:09 AM

thanks! i free'd up five megabytes of memory

nathanotis 07-04-2008 01:11 PM

Thanks for this... I never had memory issues because I found this site and this walk through at the same time I got my 8320. I'm so glad I'll never lose logs, SMS or e-mail!

Thanks!
n.

Harminator 07-05-2008 09:10 PM

Thanks for the guide

surfandstrum 07-05-2008 09:26 PM

Something got messed up...Please help...

I thought everything was good, but when I try and send e-mails...it says, "Transaction error - failure at service" please help...because I can't send or receive e-mails...