BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BlackBerry On Non-RIM Hardware (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Your Nokia E61 experience?? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=35181)

TheRFGuy 05-14-2006 11:17 PM

Your Nokia E61 experience??

Anyone has used Nokia E61 with Blackberry Connect? Care to share you experiences - pros and cons? And how it comes with BB8700? thanks

saldous 05-15-2006 05:58 AM

I'd like the same info! i've got an 8700 and thinking of moving to the E61 if it is any good with BB email.

CountZero 05-15-2006 06:47 AM

Same here. I am looking forward to see if BBC works with Cingular.

tkao2025 05-15-2006 12:53 PM

I don't think the BB software is out yet for the E-series. I'm waiting for it and the phone price to come down before I buy it. You can find it here

http://www.businesssoftware.nokia.co..._downloads.php

once available. Should hopefully be soon.

CountZero 05-15-2006 01:54 PM

Yeah, I read that and 4 others forums to get every bit of info about E61 :-) I am holding off until BBC is out and someone actually try to use it with E61 on Cingular.

I do want to know whether a case/holster is included with E61 though. I can't seem to find any info on Nokia site or any retailers.

TheRFGuy 05-15-2006 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CountZero
Yeah, I read that and 4 others forums to get every bit of info about E61 :-) I am holding off until BBC is out and someone actually try to use it with E61 on Cingular.

I do want to know whether a case/holster is included with E61 though. I can't seem to find any info on Nokia site or any retailers.

I thought the BBC is downloadable from Nokia's website? Also I asked a Nokia rep on one of Nokia displays shops and they said all the E61 already have built in BBC - unlike the 9300 where BBC was not available when it was launched initially.

tkao2025 05-15-2006 02:31 PM

Originally I thought it would come with BB already installed as well, but I haven't read in any forums that people have found it. When I get it I will check, but either way, it will come sooner or later. Hopefully sooner.

deezmfnutz 05-15-2006 04:16 PM

Quote:

My E61 should arrive late this week or early next week. No holster/case including from what I have heard. What other forums are you tracking? my-symbian.com has a few nice threads.

CountZero 05-15-2006 04:53 PM

I am reading this one (of course), and the E61 thread in the Nokia forum on HowardForums.com, and the Other Handheld forum in TreoCentral. I've been trying to avoid my-symbian.com coz I think if I venture into that site, I would not be able to stop myself from placing a pre-order! :-)

zarza 05-15-2006 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deezmfnutz
My E61 should arrive late this week or early next week. No holster/case including from what I have heard. What other forums are you tracking? my-symbian.com has a few nice threads.

From where did you purchase may I ask?

deezmfnutz 05-16-2006 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zarza
From where did you purchase may I ask?

expansys.com i have had very good luck with them in the past. will report once I receive the unit.

zarza 05-16-2006 11:06 AM

Thanks. :)

sneakerpimp 05-18-2006 07:44 PM

i heard the E61 is not compatible with the BES (n)

michael.kaplan1 05-18-2006 09:05 PM

I have purchased the E61 Nokia and am losing my mind on how to set up the email. Does ANYONE know if the blackberry connect software is out? I currently am going thru the POP 3 server and can receive but cant send. Help please

CountZero 05-18-2006 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sneakerpimp
i heard the E61 is not compatible with the BES (n)

Mmm... where do you hear that? According to Nokia, the BBC software (whenever it is released) will do both BIS and BES.

TheRFGuy 05-18-2006 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael.kaplan1
I have purchased the E61 Nokia and am losing my mind on how to set up the email. Does ANYONE know if the blackberry connect software is out? I currently am going thru the POP 3 server and can receive but cant send. Help please

Have you verify smtp server address on your Pop3? What's the error message you get. Other than that, how is the E61. I arrived but am on travel and will be able to play with it when I get home tomorrow...

CChoi83 05-18-2006 11:31 PM

I just got my E61 today and I must say it is sexy sexy sexy... except that it doesn't ship with BB software. It was supposed to or so I hear. The software is not up yet on Nokia's site and it will be a few weeks. That's what the site states. I have to tell you guys though, the keyboard is very very nice. It's got a greater keystoke pitch and it's not hard. The keys are actually rubberized and they feel a bit "smushy". Interface is very nice. Screen is AMAZING. The casing is magnesium alloy. I'm playing around with it as it's menu's and options are countless. Actually had to open up the manual for this one. I will keep everyone up to date on BB Connect. BTW, what is this about it not being compatible with BES? Rubbish! I haven't heard anything like that.

Best regards,
Chris

TheRFGuy 05-19-2006 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CChoi83
I just got my E61 today and I must say it is sexy sexy sexy... except that it doesn't ship with BB software. It was supposed to or so I hear. The software is not up yet on Nokia's site and it will be a few weeks. That's what the site states. I have to tell you guys though, the keyboard is very very nice. It's got a greater keystoke pitch and it's not hard. The keys are actually rubberized and they feel a bit "smushy". Interface is very nice. Screen is AMAZING. The casing is magnesium alloy. I'm playing around with it as it's menu's and options are countless. Actually had to open up the manual for this one. I will keep everyone up to date on BB Connect. BTW, what is this about it not being compatible with BES? Rubbish! I haven't heard anything like that.

Best regards,
Chris

Have you tried BB Connect at http://www.nokia-asia.com/nokia/0,0,81218,0.html

michael.kaplan1 05-19-2006 06:56 AM

Its a beautiful device in answer to your question. I dont know if its just me but there seems to be NO BB connect software ANYWHERE for the E61 that is out. How in the world can Nokia ship this device without supporting it??

I had my IT guy in the office connect it via the POP3 server and the strange thing is that I can actually receive email but can not send... Is there a different address that is used with T mobile to send?? The error message simply states... cant send the email...no other indication on issues.

there is a way to setup outgoing and incoming on the device and it asks for server addresses etc...

Can anyone help??? Thank you very much

michael.kaplan1 05-19-2006 06:59 AM

One other thing. Does anyone know how to set this up so it is constantly checking for mail on its own and youre not obligated to manually check every time you want email?

michael.kaplan1 05-19-2006 07:05 AM

Sorry Michael but I do not the exact release date for this software.

This was just sent to me regarding BBC from Nokia.....doesnt look too good.

sneakerpimp 05-19-2006 09:38 AM

i read it in the HOFO forums.

Quote:

Mmm... where do you hear that? According to Nokia, the BBC software (whenever it is released) will do both BIS and BES.

CountZero 05-19-2006 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sneakerpimp
i read it in the HOFO forums.

I can't post URL yet, but go to www dot businesssoftware dot nokia.com slash blackberry.php

sabesh 05-19-2006 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael.kaplan1
One other thing. Does anyone know how to set this up so it is constantly checking for mail on its own and youre not obligated to manually check every time you want email?

I'm having a similar issue. I have a Fastmail IMAP account (with IDLE support) setup on the E61. Menu/Tools/Settings/Connection/Packet Data is at "When available".

However, I have to "connect" each time I need to retrieve email. Can someone please tell me how to keep the GPRS connection alive at all times? Thx, Sabesh.

michael.kaplan1 05-19-2006 01:33 PM

The BlackBerry client for Nokia E60, E61 and E70 arrives in the next few weeks. Please stay tuned

THis is the message at that web site....

wallyn 05-19-2006 01:33 PM

I have the same problem keeping the gprs connection alive. Its the same with the wifi. Also noticed that the range is not great with wifi.

michael.kaplan1 05-19-2006 01:34 PM

Sabesh. when you or anyone figures this out please let us all know. IT seems ludicrous to keep checking every time if you do or dont have email...

tkao2025 05-19-2006 03:05 PM

If it's the same as any other Series 60....than you need to set up an e-mail pop3 account and than go into e-mail settings. In the settings there should be something called Automatic retrieval. You need to set that up. The GPRS connection does not stay alive. What it does is it checks in intervals for new e-mail to pull from your server. Hope this helps.

sabesh 05-19-2006 05:41 PM

email connection and network switching working

A bit buggy, but I've got persistent email connection (IMAP)and network switching working for the most part. Here's how:

To enable a constant connection (IMAP) to a remote server:

Menu/ Messaging/ <email acct>/ Options/ E-mail settings/ Automatic retrieval (Always enabled; Every day, All day, Every 5 minutes)

To setup auto switching between a defined WLAN and GPRS:

Menu/ Tools/ Settings/ Connection/ Access Points (define WLAN & note or setup GPRS Access Point --> "Rogers Internet" in my case).

Menu/ Tools/ Settings/ Connection/ Access Point groups/ Options/ New group (Group name = "grp1"; Conn. switching = Shown; Access Points <add wlan connection & GPRS connection "Rogers Internet" in my case.)

Menu/ Tools/ Settings/ Connection/ Packet data/ Packet data conn. <When available>

Menu/ Messaging/ <email acct>/ Options/ E-mail settings/ Connection settings/ Incoming E-mail/ Access point in user (choose "grp1")

As you can see, s60 network settings are all over the place. Quite a pain to setup as compared to the Treo 650 / ChatterMail combo. I also notice that the E61's initial firmware is buggy. My phone hung when I manually disconnected from WiFi when auto switching was enabled. Oh well ..

wallyn 05-20-2006 10:45 PM

My phone hung as well in the exact same circumstance. There is a setting in data call where you can set the parameters for the length of the connection. The default is 5 minutes but it can be set to always on.

TheRFGuy 05-20-2006 11:56 PM

My E61 has not hanged yet! Though on several occassions, it says it ran out of memory even though I don't have anything running. I suppose the memory management needs to be worked on.

Also I was able to get my Exchange Server emails. However comparing to the BB, it is not very well implemented. For example, on the BB, even when I respond to email on my laptop, I still get a copy of the BB but this is not the case on my E61 using "Mail for Exchange."

On a different note, I like the 8700g form factor a lot more than the E61. The E61 is a little too wide and I miss the track wheel on the 8700.

CChoi83 05-21-2006 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRFGuy
On a different note, I like the 8700g form factor a lot more than the E61. The E61 is a little too wide and I miss the track wheel on the 8700.

The size doesn't really bother me that much although it's pretty much as big as I would go in terms of width and height. Thickness or rather thinness is great! I do agree with you strongly about the track wheel though. I really miss it. Thank God that I still have my 8700c. The keyboard is awesome though. I love the feel.

Jaguarandine 05-21-2006 06:02 PM

E61 is out!! I've been really wondering how this thing is. Anyone willing to do a review and/or some comparisons to the 8700 or Treo?

silji 05-24-2006 09:49 AM

I got my E61 few days ago . It is great . I love it . Does anyone know if there is any wireless sync software which I can synch Lotus Notes Domino emails and Calander . I am aslo looking for a sametime client which runs on my E61. Thanks for any lead!

tomh009 05-24-2006 09:24 PM

Quote:

Also I was able to get my Exchange Server emails. However comparing to the BB, it is not very well implemented. For example, on the BB, even when I respond to email on my laptop, I still get a copy of the BB but this is not the case on my E61 using "Mail for Exchange."

This without BB Connect, right? So it's not really the comparison most of us want ... : )

tkao2025 05-25-2006 09:44 AM

I got my E61 a couple of days ago. It's fantastic device, since I'm use to symbian and the screen size is great. The only thing I miss is the scroll Wheel............oh and also the BB Connect!!! NOKIA WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO RELEASE IT:cry:

TheRFGuy 05-25-2006 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkao2025
I got my E61 a couple of days ago. It's fantastic device, since I'm use to symbian and the screen size is great. The only thing I miss is the scroll Wheel............oh and also the BB Connect!!! NOKIA WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO RELEASE IT:cry:

Yea...it's a good device. What's interesting is emails arrives faster than my blackberry 8700g from the exchange server!
Another comment I have is that the battery is not as good as the blackberry device which I ended up having to order an extra battery.

tkao2025 05-25-2006 04:25 PM

Yeah......agreed about the battery, but I can charge my phone every other day and it doesn't bother me. I've e-mailed Nokia several times now to see when BIS will be available for download so I can finally use my blackberry account which is on idle right now. Up until now no response. I did see a pic of the phone E61/E62 with BB on it from blackberry cool website. I'm wondering if they are just in final testing. The picture from BB cool was taken a couple of weeks ago.

sblackburn 05-26-2006 03:55 PM

BBConnect on Nokia E61

I was actually hoping someone could tell me how to get it working ! I have a newly flashed E61 with the BBConnect software installed but the accompanying Desktop software keeps whining that either the device isn't connected to my laptop (is!) or the Blackberry software isn't running. Now how I tell between installed but not running I don't know.

jmejonesnovo 05-26-2006 07:17 PM

I got mine last week and love it cautiously, because of no BB connect. That will be the difference maker. I've done the same with emailing Nokia with no response. I've also seen an E61 pic from WES with BB connect loaded. I just hope its better than the one on the 9300 which sucks from every review I've seen. The shi--- thing about not having the BB connect is I might not be able to return the damn phone because the BB Connect won't come out until after the return period has ended.

robnick2 05-26-2006 11:32 PM

Mine should be coming tomorrow. I hope I like it or I will have to pay the 20% restocking fee because of the return.

TheRFGuy 05-27-2006 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sblackburn
I was actually hoping someone could tell me how to get it working ! I have a newly flashed E61 with the BBConnect software installed but the accompanying Desktop software keeps whining that either the device isn't connected to my laptop (is!) or the Blackberry software isn't running. Now how I tell between installed but not running I don't know.

How/where did you get the load the new firmware with BB Connect? thanks

stufried 05-28-2006 08:29 AM

Quote:

I thought the BBC is downloadable from Nokia's website? Also I asked a Nokia rep on one of Nokia displays shops and they said all the E61 already have built in BBC - unlike the 9300 where BBC was not available when it was launched initially.

Hi,

I'm in Dubai where the E61 is out. While I don't have it, I've poured a box in a store, read the manuals (they even copied) a few pages. Nothing was in it about BBC. I also spent sometime going through the menus and did not see it. I think it shipped without it and NOkia is planning on connecting this up through a download.

I'm going with a friend to buy one later this week and will probably help him set it up. I'll let you know then.

Stu

PhoneHand 05-28-2006 11:42 AM

In the menu of the phone thier is a place to download
GOOD
Blackbery
Seven
Microsot Exchange

But when you click on Good or blackberry it brings you to the download page that says coming soon.
I think nokia is ignorent in not releasing the product right. I would rather them not release it then release without the features its said to have.

TheRFGuy 05-28-2006 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhoneHand
In the menu of the phone thier is a place to download
GOOD
Blackbery
Seven
Microsot Exchange

But when you click on Good or blackberry it brings you to the download page that says coming soon.
I think nokia is ignorent in not releasing the product right. I would rather them not release it then release without the features its said to have.

I agree. Nokia should have waited a bit longer and release BBC with the phone. However speaking with one of the Nokia rep that I know from work, he said Nokia released it because 8700g were gaining lots of momentum in Europe and didn't want RIM to gain too much market share before it is too late. Not sure if this is true but that is what he said.

tkao2025 05-28-2006 06:22 PM

Quote:

I agree. Nokia should have waited a bit longer and release BBC with the phone. However speaking with one of the Nokia rep that I know from work, he said Nokia released it because 8700g were gaining lots of momentum in Europe and didn't want RIM to gain too much market share before it is too late. Not sure if this is true but that is what he said.

Can you ask him when the BB connect will be released, since I've seen it on the blackberry cool website with the E61/E62 with BB on it? Since he knows why they released it without, he must know when they will release the download software. It must be done or nearly done by now....

saldous 05-29-2006 08:10 AM

See: http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=36541

luciodirosa 05-30-2006 01:33 PM

Nokia e61 and BIS

hi...i was able to download the software and load it onto my nokia e61. I can send emails but cannot receive them....does anyone know why?

I can email to whoever needs it the software.

jmejonesnovo 05-30-2006 03:37 PM

You've got to send a Service Book to your new device once you enter in your PIN and IMEI

michael.kaplan1 05-30-2006 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmejonesnovo
You've got to send a Service Book to your new device once you enter in your PIN and IMEI

I would love the BB software if it works. Can anybody please help with this? Id be grateful! Thank you so much Michael

dphones 05-31-2006 10:47 AM

I HAVE bbc WORKING ON MY E61 AT LAST!

(y) Great news(for me anyway!) I have managed to successfully download, install and configure Blackberry services on my new Nokia e61. I was using a 7100v with Blackberry Enterprise Server on Vodaphone (uk) but the battery life and audio quality was terrible so I splashed out on the E61. I just unistalled the old client from my pc and reinstalled the nokia version. Uploaded the sis and configured, then Kapow! emails came trickling out just like my old blackberry.

It works for both send and receive and is currently beating my outlook client by about 1-2 minutes for delivery!

I cant work out how you can change the font size(any suggetsions) , because for my taste you cannot see enough of the email content on the screen at one time. It is also a little slower than my 7100v to open/forward/reply to mails ( it takes about twice as long as a text message)

One nice feature is that the two or three most recent mails display on the standby desktop

More useless ramblings may follow.

TheRFGuy 05-31-2006 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dphones
(y) Great news(for me anyway!) I have managed to successfully download, install and configure Blackberry services on my new Nokia e61. I was using a 7100v with Blackberry Enterprise Server on Vodaphone (uk) but the battery life and audio quality was terrible so I splashed out on the E61. I just unistalled the old client from my pc and reinstalled the nokia version. Uploaded the sis and configured, then Kapow! emails came trickling out just like my old blackberry.

It works for both send and receive and is currently beating my outlook client by about 1-2 minutes for delivery!

I cant work out how you can change the font size(any suggetsions) , because for my taste you cannot see enough of the email content on the screen at one time. It is also a little slower than my 7100v to open/forward/reply to mails ( it takes about twice as long as a text message)

One nice feature is that the two or three most recent mails display on the standby desktop

More useless ramblings may follow.

Did you have to install the Blackberry Desktop to activate BES?

dphones 05-31-2006 11:03 AM

I had to install the Blackberry connect software + the S60 Blackberry connect on the device. Once both are installed I clicked on connect on the Blackberry connect software and it asked me whether I wanted calendar replication I said yes and after a bit of huffing and puffing (it downloads the entries from the exchange server so you need to be on the corparate Lan or connected via a vpn) it connected. ps you may need to activate the blackberry service on the handset too

TheRFGuy 05-31-2006 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dphones
I had to install the Blackberry connect software + the S60 Blackberry connect on the device. Once both are installed I clicked on connect on the Blackberry connect software and it asked me whether I wanted calendar replication I said yes and after a bit of huffing and puffing (it downloads the entries from the exchange server so you need to be on the corparate Lan or connected via a vpn) it connected. ps you may need to activate the blackberry service on the handset too

Where did you get the S60 Blackberry connect from? I checked the CD that came with the phone and it's not there nor is it at Nokia's website. thanks

dphones 05-31-2006 12:05 PM

if you look on businesssoftware dot nokia dot com forwardslash blackberry you will find a link for the S60 (For Nokia E61) .sis file

Enjoy

wlegge 05-31-2006 04:20 PM

Does the E61 support / have the blackberry browser?

dphones 06-01-2006 07:10 AM

I dont think so but it has a full web browser and also a wap browser. You can also download Opera if you prefer it

tedmundson 06-01-2006 10:18 AM

does any one know if the e61 will run the Avaya 0ne-X mobile client.the Avaya one x client is a series 60 app. .. it let you manage a connection to your avaya phone system for ec500

robhawley 06-01-2006 10:48 AM

It seems that the e61 with BB connect must cannot use the blackberry APN for web browsing.

Does anyone know if Rogers will charge for using internet.com if on a blackberry plan?

hmerali 06-02-2006 10:05 AM

Hi,

I have got the E61 working with Blackberry internet email from O2 UK. It seems to work every well.

However, I have a couple of queries and was wondering if anyone could help:

1. I have enabled the Blackberry mailbox as my default mailbox so it appears on the stanby screen. I have also enabled an email alert sound on my profiles setup. However, when new email arrives there is no sound played nor vibrating alert. Anyone know how to enable this for new Blackberry email ?

2. Text size and font on the mail client is a bit big. Is there anyway of reducing this size. I can't seem to find any way of changing this to a user defined look or size. Any ideas.

Otherwise, the E61 is a great device.

TheRFGuy 06-02-2006 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmerali
Hi,

I have got the E61 working with Blackberry internet email from O2 UK. It seems to work every well.

However, I have a couple of queries and was wondering if anyone could help:

1. I have enabled the Blackberry mailbox as my default mailbox so it appears on the stanby screen. I have also enabled an email alert sound on my profiles setup. However, when new email arrives there is no sound played nor vibrating alert. Anyone know how to enable this for new Blackberry email ?

2. Text size and font on the mail client is a bit big. Is there anyway of reducing this size. I can't seem to find any way of changing this to a user defined look or size. Any ideas.

Otherwise, the E61 is a great device.

I have left my E61 in "outdoor" profile and it sounds/vibrates briefly when it email arrives. But the volume is so low that it is difficult to hear in a slightly noisey environment.

Yes..the text is a bit too large and there isn't a know way to reduce it unfortunately - at least not yet.

TheRFGuy 06-02-2006 09:16 PM

I have to say after three weeks of using it, I don't think the E61 is a BB killer. Here's my quick take on this:

1) Missing the ability to send PIN - a huge setback for me and many BB users.
2) E61 menu is too complicated for simple tasks. The user interface is simpler and better.
3) E61 is slow comparing to my 8700g
4) Font's are too large on the E61
5) Email notification is poor.
6) Unable to accept meeting request on E61
7) Unable to synch "sent" folder - so I can't check when and what I sent previously.
8) Emails have to retrieve and not really pushed on IMAP and POP

Things I like about the E61.
1) IMAP emails are quicker to arrive.
2) Better audio than the E61
3) Large selection of software
4) Somewhat native support of MS Word, Excel and free Adobe pda reader
5) UMTS and Wifi support - I travel to Japan where GSM is not available and UMTS support, I can still use my mobile for calls and emails.

CountZero 06-04-2006 08:00 AM

Quote:

Yes..the text is a bit too large and there isn't a know way to reduce it unfortunately - at least not yet.

There is a thread on my-symbian.com about using different themes to alter the fonts size. Haven't tried it myself yet, as I've just ordered it yesterday, but looks promising.

Lex Luthor 06-05-2006 02:06 PM

If I purchase the Nokia E61 and use it on Rogers Wireless via BIS will I be able to pin and recive pins or does BlackBerry connect only allow email to be sent and recieved? If you cannot send pins with BlackBerry connect is it possible to recieve only? I find some of the E61 features to be pretty sweet but since I recieve alot of work info via pin I am debating if I should buy the E61 or just stick to the BlackBerry 8700r.

robhawley 06-05-2006 02:14 PM

As far as I have been able to gather so far, PIN messaging is not supported.

deezmfnutz 06-05-2006 03:02 PM

Quote:

There is a thread on my-symbian.com about using different themes to alter the fonts size. Haven't tried it myself yet, as I've just ordered it yesterday, but looks promising.

Guys, try this theme it shrinks the font a bit:

http://gallery.mobile9.com/f/30992/

deezmfnutz 06-05-2006 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitty
If I purchase the Nokia E61 and use it on Rogers Wireless via BIS will I be able to pin and recive pins or does BlackBerry connect only allow email to be sent and recieved? If you cannot send pins with BlackBerry connect is it possible to recieve only? I find some of the E61 features to be pretty sweet but since I recieve alot of work info via pin I am debating if I should buy the E61 or just stick to the BlackBerry 8700r.

I was unable to get any PIN functionality at all, no send and no receive.

wibbly 06-05-2006 03:22 PM

I played with an E61 for a short while. Nice eye candy, but I didn't like the keyboard at all. Keys too hard to press/poor feel. Like they'd messed enough on that to stop me using one in anger. May have been a pre/early production one as it was an operator's demo model...

Just check it out if you can before you commit to one...

Lex Luthor 06-05-2006 04:15 PM

Thanks for the info all.

deezmfnutz 06-05-2006 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wibbly
I played with an E61 for a short while. Nice eye candy, but I didn't like the keyboard at all. Keys too hard to press/poor feel. Like they'd messed enough on that to stop me using one in anger. May have been a pre/early production one as it was an operator's demo model...

Just check it out if you can before you commit to one...

Interesting I find the keyboard to be most excellent, much better than the 8700 series. YMMV

hmerali 06-06-2006 06:21 AM

Email alerts

Hi,

Has anyone managed to get email alerts working. There is an option in the Profiles menu to set up an email tone alert and also activate it on any pop3 or IMAP mailboxes you setup. This option isnt available on the blackberry email settings screen.

However, it doesnt seem to work on normal pop3 or IMAP emails let alone blackberry emails, where i don't get any email alert sounds. However the LED flashing option does work even for blackberry emails so something seems to be wrong on the OS.

Any ideas

elsandalos 06-07-2006 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmerali
Hi,

Has anyone managed to get email alerts working. ...
... it doesnt seem to work on normal pop3 or IMAP emails let alone blackberry emails, where i don't get any email alert sounds. However the LED flashing option does work even for blackberry emails so something seems to be wrong on the OS.

Any ideas

I'm having exactly the same problem - is there a fix?

El.

rjharary 06-07-2006 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elsandalos
I'm having exactly the same problem - is there a fix?

El.

I can't help you and for that I am sorry. but, I do want to thank you... I know now that I must stick with Blackberry.

sblackburn 06-08-2006 09:04 AM

Nokia E61 and BBCOnnect

Quote:

How/where did you get the load the new firmware with BB Connect? thanks

I got it burned directly onto the E61 by Nokia. I have since downloaded the BBCOnnect desktop software and the .SIS file for the device.

I found out what to do to turn it on (long winded process hidden in several menus) but it does work.

The radio recovery seems to be different to a pure Blackberry in that I have observed recovery times of a few seconds upto 30 minutes. Seems to be a few occasions where the mail client doesn't think the APN has disconnected to it doesn't retry for a while.

I don't think its a fair comparison really with a Blackberry. To really compare you would have to run a shoot out between an 8707 3G BB on BES 4.1 vs a Nokia E61 running Nokia IMS.

It's certainly a way of maintaining a return on your BB investment if you do want to move upto a sexier looking device.

bigdongers 06-08-2006 09:09 AM

We dont have these yet in Australia but will do soon. How fast or slow is this device when compared to the 8700?? Is web browsing fast on it?

flg 06-08-2006 09:41 PM

Nokia E61 BB, Microsoft ActiveSync and POP EMail

Just changed from my RIM 8700G and Nokia 9300i to E61 for general usage.

The Nokia E61 works very well with Microsoft ActiveSync and our Corporate MS Exchange email via the Nokia client. Calendar and Email set-up and usage was simplistic. I also enabled the BB Connect client and access our Corporate MS Exchange with it - works equally as well for email. Have not tried the calendar function since MS ActiveSync is doing such.

Also, have used the POP email along with ActiveSync and BB connect and all work very well - all live concurrently. The E61 has been very stable with all the software I've used. I'm using it with TMobile in the USA.

The E61 is a wonderful device as compared to my 8700G in terms of screen displays, phone quality and other program features. I really like the main screen with the coposite display of key programs, new emails and calendar.

The E61 is significantly faster for email and www browsing than my Nokia 9300i.

I prefer the elegence and user interface of the Nokia 9300i but it is quite slow in comparison with the E61. Really miss the FAX feature and other commands related to select all emails, emailing WWW pages and such. Maybe they include such in a future firmware upgrade?

So far - so good - we'll see in a week! Maybe one of the best BB alternatives until the SE P990 arrives but no WiFi on it!

FLG>>>

flg 06-08-2006 09:42 PM

Nokia E61 BB, Microsoft ActiveSync and POP EMail

Just changed from my RIM 8700G and Nokia 9300i to E61 for general usage.

The Nokia E61 works very well with Microsoft ActiveSync and our Corporate MS Exchange email via the Nokia client. Calendar and Email set-up and usage was simplistic. I also enabled the BB Connect client and access our Corporate MS Exchange with it - works equally as well for email. Have not tried the calendar function since MS ActiveSync is doing such.

Also, have used the POP email along with ActiveSync and BB connect and all work very well - all live concurrently. The E61 has been very stable with all the software I've used. I'm using it with TMobile in the USA.

The E61 is a wonderful device as compared to my 8700G in terms of screen displays, phone quality and other program features. I really like the main screen with the composite display of key programs, new emails and calendar.

The E61 is significantly faster for email and www browsing than my Nokia 9300i.

I prefer the elegence and user interface of the Nokia 9300i but it is quite slow in comparison with the E61. Really miss the FAX feature and other commands related to select all emails, emailing WWW pages and such. Maybe they include such in a future firmware upgrade?

So far - so good - we'll see in a week! Maybe one of the best BB alternatives until the SE P990 arrives but no WiFi on it!

FLG>>>

michael.kaplan1 06-09-2006 04:45 PM

A couple of questions for anyone:

1. If you have folders designated on your Outlook that automatically file your emails, I have noticed that the BB redirector will not catch them BEFORE they are filed and hence you dont get them on your E61. Does anyone have this issue?? Id love to hear a fix.

2. Another thing I noticed is that it doesnt open all jpeg files. is there a new setting or easy fix? THank you much Michael

flg 06-10-2006 10:34 AM

Michael.Kaplan -

Check to see if your rules are running on the Exchange server or Desktop. If the rules are optioned to run on the Exchange server you will most likely not get the emails. If you set the rule to run when you log into your Outlook desktop (at the client) the emails will goto the E61 and then to the appropriate folder in your Exchange Outlook system. I have some rules running on the server - like junk email sorting and some on the desktop and I get those emails on my E61.

My experience with the E61 has been very positive. Micrsoft Active Sync and RIM Blackberry connect are both working perfectly!

Also, the WWW browsing is simply excellent as to display completeness/correctness and navigation has been amazing. Faster and better than my N9500, N9300, N9300i and SE P910i. Better than other MS based phones which I've used.

Yes - some compromises as compared to a RIM 8700 device but the additonal features and function make this an excellent alternative!

FLG>>>

bigdongers 06-10-2006 10:42 AM

whats the overall speed of the E61 like? I use my 8700g for 50% email and 50% internet browsing. I am happy with the speed of the 8700g. Is the E61 comparable to the BB's performance? I know its got 3G but unless the CPU is up to the task, it may not transfer to good performance.

deezmfnutz 06-10-2006 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdongers
whats the overall speed of the E61 like? I use my 8700g for 50% email and 50% internet browsing. I am happy with the speed of the 8700g. Is the E61 comparable to the BB's performance? I know its got 3G but unless the CPU is up to the task, it may not transfer to good performance.

It is slower than the 8700g but the OS is much more flexible. Also the web browser is amazing the best mobile browser I have ever seen.

michael.kaplan1 06-10-2006 09:32 PM

[QUOTE=flg]Michael.Kaplan -

Check to see if your rules are running on the Exchange server or Desktop. If the rules are optioned to run on the Exchange server you will most likely not get the emails. If you set the rule to run when you log into your Outlook desktop (at the client) the emails will goto the E61 and then to the appropriate folder in your Exchange Outlook system. I have some rules running on the server - like junk email sorting and some on the desktop and I get those emails on my E61.

My experience with the E61 has been very positive. Micrsoft Active Sync and RIM Blackberry connect are both working perfectly!

Also, the WWW browsing is simply excellent as to display completeness/correctness and navigation has been amazing. Faster and better than my N9500, N9300, N9300i and SE P910i. Better than other MS based phones which I've used.

Yes - some compromises as compared to a RIM 8700 device but the additonal features and function make this an excellent alternative!

Thanks very much. I absoultey will try that first thing Monday am. I had another question that i would love to know an answer to if you possibly know. I have a video camera in my office that can be accessed via the IP address and transmit live feed via MPEG4 settings. I am trying to access it on my E61 after dowloanding the exe file that it requests but I get nothing. Am i dreaming tryint to make this work? THanks very much

tobes01 06-14-2006 04:40 AM

E61 Display washed out?

I've just taken delivery of an E61, and the display seems horribly washed out, almost flickering at the top - is this normal? Is it a settings issue, or have I been sold a pup?

deezmfnutz 06-14-2006 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobes01
I've just taken delivery of an E61, and the display seems horribly washed out, almost flickering at the top - is this normal? Is it a settings issue, or have I been sold a pup?

Nope not normal. The display on my E61 is great, as good or slightly better than the 8700.

tobes01 06-17-2006 03:11 AM

OK, tried a reboot and it's fine, I guess it hadn't started up the VRAM properly. Absolutely delighted with the E61 now - BIS works fine on T-Mobile UK, I've installed some music, ringtones, all the optional apps and purchased Lumisoft's A-Z of London. Now all I need is a decent RSS newsreader and we're fixed :)

arsuxena 06-28-2006 01:25 PM

BlackBerry Connect works for me...

I just bought a new Nokia E61 and installed Blackberry connect on it. BIS seems to work perfectly fine on my phone with T-Mobile USA.

arsuxena 06-28-2006 01:27 PM

Yahoo Messenger on Nokia E61 ?

I am trying to use Yahoo Messenger on my Nokia E61 with T-Mobile USA but have not figured out how to. Can somebody please help me with this. Thanks !!

robhawley 06-28-2006 06:56 PM

I have had mine for about two weeks now.

It has everything I wished my 8700 would have had but didn't.

Having said that, it is not the no-brainer awesome e-mail device that a blackberry is.

I had hoped to use intellisync e-mail, but Nokia's own software isn't ready yet. Ditto for seven, and as far as I can tell all other non-blackberry push services.

I have a working pull solution"profimail".

The browser is awesome. And using it with wifi is really fast.

gcaz 07-03-2006 02:59 PM

Anyone know if Nokia has released a simulator for developers (like Palm and RIM have) so I can try out the interface on my desktop?

mistWalker 07-03-2006 08:42 PM

I am selling my E61. It's a nice device, but it has a few annoyances that make me favor my BB 8700g more.

AlwaysOn607 07-04-2006 09:38 AM

mistWalker, can you please elaborate for someone (me) debating between the two devices. What issues does your E61 have?

noeffectx 07-04-2006 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistWalker
I am selling my E61. It's a nice device, but it has a few annoyances that make me favor my BB 8700g more.

how much?

stufried 07-04-2006 02:54 PM

I've had a Nokia E61 running Blackberry Connect with BES for a few weeks. I generally like the device. I have a few gripes and some other general comments.

First, I don't think it handles attachments as good as a real Blackberry. I can open up text PDFs, but not bitmaps. Since I have an e-fax type account feeding to my e-mail this is an annoyance. Further, the device won't handle any attachments not supported by Blackberry. Even though the E61 is multi-media friendly, it will not open the wav files that get e-mailed to me when someone leaves a voicemail for me.

Second, I don't get the included browsing and data services that I had on a real Blackberry. I travel internationally and the web browsing was nice. When I used the Blackberry Browser, my browsing was included. Similarly, I had included IMing which I have lost.

Third, the e-mail client is not as smart. I cannot program it to correct my spelling errors or to expand my abbreviations. I also don't think it has a spell checker.

Fourth, the VOIP client is a work in progress. I have to create a different client for every hotspot I am in. My house, the company apartment I use in another city, my office, an affiliate office, the airline lounge, etc. The SIP client has virtually no NAT transversal and that is an issue.

On the plus side, the device is robust and built like a rock. It also is one of the few sect-band phones on the phase of the planet.

I think I'm ahead, but I've postponed plans to sell my old 7100. I had bought the basic unit to hold me over until this phone came out.

taylor 07-04-2006 04:15 PM

I'm tempted to try 3UKs own push email service @2.50GBP p/month,though only time will tell if this is as good as the real thing - Oh one thing it has WiFi (Hint Hint RIM)
http://xs303.xs.to/xs303/06272/e61006.jpg
http://xs303.xs.to/xs303/06272/e61002.jpg
http://xs303.xs.to/xs303/06272/12345678q.jpg
http://xs303.xs.to/xs303/06272/P1020066.JPG

mistWalker 07-04-2006 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlwaysOn607
can you please elaborate for someone (me) debating between the two devices. What issues does your E61 have?

I like almost everything about the device: the design, the reception, the OS, Wi-Fi (come on RIM, get with the program), expandable memory (what are you waiting on, RIM), but I just can't get around how or why everything is controlled by the "joystick." I have my peeves and that is one of them. It is a minor issue for most and a major one for me. All in all, it is a sweet device.

I would also have to agree with the review (below), because it corresponds with my experience:
Quote:

Originally Posted by stufried
First, I don't think it handles attachments as good as a real Blackberry.
Second, I don't get the included browsing and data services that I had on a real Blackberry.
Third, the e-mail client is not as smart.
Fourth, the VOIP client is a work in progress.

Quote:

Originally Posted by noeffectx
how much?

PM me if you are truly interested.

stufried 07-04-2006 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor
I'm tempted to try 3UKs own push email service @2.50GBP p/month,though only time will tell if this is as good as the real thing - Oh one thing it has WiFi (Hint Hint RIM)
http://xs303.xs.to/xs303/06272/e61006.jpg
http://xs303.xs.to/xs303/06272/e61002.jpg
http://xs303.xs.to/xs303/06272/12345678q.jpg
http://xs303.xs.to/xs303/06272/P1020066.JPG

I will be looking at the alternatives next year. This year I am working an international assignment and am out of my home country (the US) more than I am in. In the US, both TMobile and Cingular have international Blackberry plans. If you are on one of those, your Blackberry data is free. Even though my 3g blows the doors off of my old Edge connection, I miss the occasional browsing and IMing that I used to do. (If I don't solve the problem, I'll add back on PAYG data for the IMing which is now a bandwith hog).

When I am off of international, I will seriously consider switching to a competing platform, until that time, I am stuck. I am in Wi-Fi zones enabled zones all the time. These companies could save themselves some money if they could think of a way to deliver Blackberry over wi-fi. If Nokia tweaks its VOIP client, it would also help my international phone bill.

Stu

outfocus 07-05-2006 07:50 PM

I have a BB 8700g, and.......

.....I love the E61! I am shocked. I used to have a Nokia 9300 and that had al sorts of issues, espcially syncing, which took wayyyyyyyyyyy too longggggggg. The e61 syncs as fast as the blackberry, and the aditional features are fantastic, especially the timed download emails feature.

This means I can have my phone on as between an allocated time (say 7am-9pm) emails can come through. Outside these times, they don't meaning I will not be woken in the middle of the night by an email. You can also set different times for weekdays and weekends.

Sure, I can set the BB to do this by selecting the 'phone only' profile, but i need to remember to do this and remember to turn it off when i wake up!

Build quality is superior and matches the older 7290 phone, or perhaps surpasses it. I had doubts about this device, but i am truely happy with it. While it doesn't replace my 8700g (yet), it is a fantastic product and a highly recommended alternative to the 8700g.

castanea 08-14-2006 06:41 AM

Hi

I have a p[roblem with BB on my e61

I can send messages but cannot receive any in Blackberry connection although the serves shows that the messages have been received by the E61!!.

I have no problem with the pop3 connection I have which sends and receive without any problems.

Did anyone experience this and doesanyone have a suggestion to resolve this problem??

Thanks

MERK350Z 08-29-2006 11:06 AM

i have to say as a phone freak i was impressed with the E61 nokia. i think blackberry might be able to learn from nokia if blackberry is going to move foward into upgrading there hardware, As to adding wifi camera micro sd slot. the nokia set is flawless i think the only thing that really makes nokia lose points is the system its runing it is slow and not as stable. the blackberry connect worked pretty well on the E61 there was no delay in e mail from yahoo g mail and company e mail. was able to view docs and pics with no problem and. i just wish it had blackberry messanger which nokia does not support. i just wish someone can drop the blackberry OS on a nokia E61 that would be an awsome setup that would be a killer phone; i guess ill be sticking with my 8700c. just incase people think i dont know what i am talking about i have the nokia 9290, 9300,9500, E61 ,Treo650 , sony 910 and a few other outdated phones that can not be used to network upgrades by phone company. i am also using the e61 on the cingular network with no issues

Palisandr 08-30-2006 03:46 PM

BBC on Nokia E61

I just changed my (really dull) BB7290 to Nokia E61. E61 is great although I have a couple of issues, which I did not notice on 7290 (some of them are due to BB7290 functional limitations).

I have two mailboxes defined on my E61 - my corporate (BES) Blackberry account and a free GMail. Blackberry e-mail works fine.

Blackberry connect limitations:
1. Inability to save and attach attachments (no such issues with GMail account). But that was on the BB7290 also, I suspect thats just how BES works.
2. Inability to surf internet unless on WiFi. Blackberry2 connection is always active, but it is not defined as an access point and the browser does not use it by default. This is most likely a fault of the BBC soft.
3. Wireless sync is only for e-mail and calendar. Contacts do not sync in this version of BBC (6.28.1).

Overall I am very glad I've switched to Nokia unit.

I am on Cingular network.