BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General Legacy Device Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   Profiles, What is an important call? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=93847)

covogolf 09-05-2007 08:30 PM

Profiles, What is an important call?

On a BB8800:

Under the profiles icon:

Under advanced, and where it says Use Active Profile Except for: Important Calls...and there is a check or unchecked box, does anyone know....

What constitutes an important call? Is there a setting somewhere that I missed in my address book or call log that needs to be checked?

juwaack68 09-05-2007 08:31 PM

You can edit that exception to set your own criteria for an important call. Such as a call from a specific contact.

Then you can set a different ringtone for that person.

Grovesfan 09-05-2007 10:34 PM

Thanks! I was wondering the same thing.

Beth

covogolf 09-06-2007 04:53 PM

I see where you can edit the important call feature, but how does it know which person is an important call and which is not? I have got to be missing something here, so many different options and exceptions I can't keep track of all them. HELP !!!

JSanders 09-06-2007 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by covogolf (Post 658089)
I see where you can edit the important call feature, but how does it know which person is an important call and which is not? I have got to be missing something here, so many different options and exceptions I can't keep track of all them. HELP !!!

At the top of the EDIT important calls window, it says FROM: and you scroll through address book and select the important person who goes there. Like the Prime Minister of Sweden, he would be important, if he were in my Address Book.

harryzuluberries 09-06-2007 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by covogolf (Post 657178)
What constitutes an important call?

You forgetting to do something your wife asked you to do, and now her picture is showing up in your caller ID. Might want to take that one. hehe. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Patrick G. 10-06-2008 06:46 PM

So is this the only or preferred way to set specific ringtones for specific callers?

juwaack68 10-06-2008 07:50 PM

There is also this:

How can I personalize my alerts from specific contacts? - BlackBerryFAQ

And there may be some 3rd party applications that can do it.

wiscaudi 10-06-2008 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick G. (Post 1127350)
So is this the only or preferred way to set specific ringtones for specific callers?

Easiest way is to go into the address book, find the contact you want, hit the menu button and select "Add Custom Ring Tone"

Exceptions are completely different animal.

Quote:

There is also this:

That's good stuff. Learn something new everyday.

wolfe 11-30-2008 11:34 PM

I have set the users in the "important calls" section however, when I call my phone (from my home phone which is one of the "important calls" ) and it is set to "quiet" it still doesn't ring. It just comes up on the screen with now RING...

So what is the problem now...

Jadey 12-01-2008 06:43 AM

Probably that the "quiet" profile does not treat "important calls" any differently from standard calls.
Check the profile settings.

Jadey 12-01-2008 06:47 AM

A better explanation:

Go to profile settings
Scroll down to ADVANCED under the list of profiles
Is "Use Active Profile Except For ... Important Calls" checked?
If NO, check the option. If YES:
Scroll down and highlight the "Important Calls" line
Click menu key and select EDIT
Under "Exception: Important Calls" what profile/custom phone tune is set?

AJCURVE 03-30-2009 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jadey (Post 1190777)
A better explanation:

Go to profile settings
Scroll down to ADVANCED under the list of profiles
Is "Use Active Profile Except For ... Important Calls" checked?
If NO, check the option. If YES:
Scroll down and highlight the "Important Calls" line
Click menu key and select EDIT
Under "Exception: Important Calls" what profile/custom phone tune is set?

I have the same issue, i have set my work number as Important but still the phone doesn't ring when using this feature. and I am on Quite profile which says (active) next to it
1- "Use Active Profile Except For ... Important Calls" is checked
2- Under "Exception: Important Calls" what profile/custom phone tune is set?
it is set Use profile: Active profile
and on top of that (FROM:WORK) and custom phone tune: is checked

I figured to bring this old thread alive instead of creating a new one.
Please help...

bpollard 05-19-2009 10:58 AM

same problem

I am having the same problem as described above. It happens on my AT&T 8820 with 4.5 software, and also on a 8830 on Verizon with 4.5 software.
It is annoying.... because this KB article from blackberry:
(can't post the link because I don't have enough posts on this forum, but if you go to www . tinyurl . com / pflrlr you'll see what I mean)
specifically states how it is supposed to operate - and mine (and seemingly others) do not behave that way...
bummer.
can someone else test it to see if we are crazy?
Brad

robertmccartney 09-24-2009 05:33 AM

I think what you are supposed to do is:
From the profiles menu:
Select Important Calls and make sure it is checked, Click Menu and hit Edit
Change the Use Profile option from 'Active' to a specific choice - I suggest Loud might be the right one...

a.petrov 01-27-2010 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juwaack68 (Post 1127430)
There is also this:

I have tried to set a specific tone for sms from a certain person (X) from my address book following the FAQ provided and now I have set one tone for sms from that person X and a different tone for sms in Normal profile.

So all the sms except from that person X should come with the sms tone set in Normal profile.

well they do not. Now the sms from X come with the correct tone set in my exception for person X, but other sms coming from other numbers are having the same tone as the one set for X :cry:

Is it only me? anyone managed to obtain different tone for sms from different persons?