BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9000 Series Discussion - Bold (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Battery Life, OS upgrade??? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=196877)

akwebb 07-13-2009 12:47 PM

Battery Life, OS upgrade???

I use my bb everyday, LOTS and love it. I have had it now for about 6 months and have progressively added more apps as I needed them. Recently, I have experienced a huge decline in battery life, now when I take it off the charger at 8am, I'm lucky if I can make it to 5pm, and that's with maybe 10 <5min phone calls. I know that certain apps are draining me, but need the use of some or something similar if you have ideas. Here's what I know are probably HUGE hogs.

YouMail and YouMail app
Instango all in one IM app-anyone have suggestion of a free all in one IM?
Facebook
BBWeather
3 BB email accounts

Instango seems to be the big battery killer, but I need MSN and Googletalk, and running both seemed to kill my battery about the same, anyone have an idea of one that does not eat battery?

I'm still running the original At&t app OS, .167 and am wondering if I "should" upgrade to improve anything?

kirrinjones 07-13-2009 12:51 PM

Wirelessly posted

I have heard of persons, myself included who have gotten better battery performance after and OS upgrade. It is something to consider.

Ahhdirts 07-14-2009 09:04 PM

Recently found myself in the same situation. Attempting the OS upgrade now. I used to get, perhaps, 2 days out of my battery. My normal use includes Gmail app, BB messenger, texting, minimal phone calls, minimal web surfing, wifi on sometimes, GPS usually off, screen bright set to only 10, Bluetooth NEVER ON, etc. etc.

In the last week, my battery life cut in half. Thought it was the battery. Bought 2 new ones. Same result, typical battery life is still half of what it used to be just days/weeks ago. WTF?

Very suspicious..... I think right around the time my battery issue started was right around the time I added International service and coverage to my Plan via ATT. Just suspicious.

Trying the OS upgrade now. Currently on OEM boxed v.167

bocabenz 07-15-2009 05:09 PM

Upgraded to .282 about a week ago and have noticed a significant improvement in battery life... so far. It is an option you could consider.

miamirulz29 07-15-2009 05:39 PM

You definitely need to update your os to .282. Also, make sure when the apps are not in use, they are not running in the background. use the alt esc key to open the application switcher. The only should be in the switcher are browser, bbm, phone, home, messages because those can never be closed. Your other apps should be closed and that should significantly increase your battery life.

akwebb 07-15-2009 06:11 PM

Well, I'll try it on this phone, and see how it goes. I'm getting a replacement BB from Att cause for the past 3 days, every single call I get does one of two things, goes straight to voicemail and doesn't ring on phone, or drops the call in the middle of the conversation. It doesn't matter if I'm 3g, 2g, moving, standing still, or have full service. So we'll see how this goes. Thanks