BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BES Admin Corner (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Calendar Sync (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=29484)

ntwrkadmn 03-21-2006 11:24 AM

Calendar Sync

Calendar items placed in Outlook show up on the users phones but calendar items placed on the phones calendar do not show up in Outlook.

Using a BES sever with 5 users, all are having the same problem.

Any help is appreciated.

Kablooey 03-21-2006 12:13 PM

If I remember correctly, the BES mailbox does not have the appropriate rights to the Users mailboxes. Check the RIM documentation for your server type and make sure that the account has the appropriate rights.

ntwrkadmn 03-21-2006 12:32 PM

Setup according to documentation

Its setup according to the documentation, maybe you can shed more light on what you think it is, your response is somewhat limited.

Thanks anyway

djbeenie 03-21-2006 02:45 PM

Are you on BES 4.0? If so, On the device under calender. Go to options and make sure Wireless Sync is turned on.

Kablooey 03-21-2006 03:24 PM

The reason I was not more specific is that each platform requires different rights for the service account. Even the different versions of exchange require different admin rights. If it has the correct rights as defined in the install documentation, it could be a CDO issue. You should have the same Exchange admin version on your BES that you have on your Exch svr. Additionally you need to register the cdo.dll file in the windows\system32 folder of the server and this cdo should match the cdo on your exchange server.

ntwrkadmn 03-28-2006 01:12 PM

That could be my problem, the CDO file I have in the Echange/BIN folder is not in the Windows/System32 folder. I should copy the file so its in both places - correct? Then register the files, correct?

Thanks for your help so far.

ntwrkadmn 03-28-2006 03:43 PM

Manual

I followed the instruction manual and it doesn't ever talk about CDO files in the WINDOWS/SYSTEM32 folder.

Am I missing something?

dodgydane 03-29-2006 06:58 AM

I had a client with this problem as well and it was definitely something to do with permissions.
This was the error message that we found in the logs:

[30001] (02/16 23:58:54):{0x4D3C} CDOCalendar::Initialize - Code = 80040705, WCode = 0505, Code meaning = IDispatch error #1285,

[30002] (02/16 23:58:54):{0x4D3C} Server = mail1, Mailbox = /o=JAMIESONCF/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=scoventry Description = You do not have permission to log on. [Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store - [MAPI_E_FAILONEPROVIDER(8004011D)]].

The client changed the permissions and got it to work.

Check your logs and see if you can find something similar.

Hope this helps.

ntwrkadmn 03-29-2006 03:08 PM

I agree its a permissions thing, too bad there is SQL permissions, user account permissions, folder permissions....

I now managed to get it where email isn't updating either - it was just calendar.

Danny_Larouche 03-29-2006 04:27 PM

>...too bad there is SQL permissions, user account permissions, folder permissions....

This $2000 software is simply laughable showing a "fully running state" even when everything suck!!! It could be so easy and helpful to simply popup when there is something wrong with an account and pin-point the issue.

I have the same calendar sync problem at a customer site since a while.

NJBlackBerry 03-29-2006 04:39 PM

Especially when people don't understand how to set permissions properly...

RemyJ 03-30-2006 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
Especially when people don't understand how to set permissions properly...

I wish it were that simple. My problem is that wireless calendar sync works fine but I get the "You do not have permission..." message when the mail agent tries to retrieve the meeting invite to send to the phone.

Our SAs are pretty good and they've been all over the permissions and cdo.dll versions and can't find anything wrong. In AD Users, the BESAdmin account shows as having full acces to the mailbox of the users, the "view only admin" on the admin group is set and the and the 3 permissions are set on the exchange server and both the mailstore and public folders store.

No dice.

MarkV 03-30-2006 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemyJ
I wish it were that simple. My problem is that wireless calendar sync works fine but I get the "You do not have permission..." message when the mail agent tries to retrieve the meeting invite to send to the phone.

Our SAs are pretty good and they've been all over the permissions and cdo.dll versions and can't find anything wrong. In AD Users, the BESAdmin account shows as having full acces to the mailbox of the users, the "view only admin" on the admin group is set and the and the 3 permissions are set on the exchange server and both the mailstore and public folders store.

No dice.

My guess: the BES account which is being used actually has too much permissions.... If for example this account is a member of the Domain Admins or has Exchange Full Admin Delegation (Exchange 200* only) the account has received a specific deny on the full mailbox access. Deny has presedence over Allow. So check the permission again (advanced) and look for any denied permissions.

To check: run the CMD gpresult.

The BES Account can only have the following permissions:

Domain: domain user
Local BES: member of the Administrator group and allowed to start services
Exchange: delegate control > Exchange view only admin on the Administrative group and 'Send As', 'Receive As' and 'Administer Information Store' on the Exchange server(s) level. In this case keep in mind you need inherited permissions on.

Nothing more, nothing less.

RemyJ 03-30-2006 06:02 PM

Good suggestions, but that's exactly what we have.

jibi 03-30-2006 06:45 PM

Have you checked the permissions yourself, or are you simply relying on the word of your Exchange/AD administrators? With ESM installed on the BES, logged into the BES as the service account, and with the permissions of the BES service account, you have the ability to check ALL Exchange/AD roles and permissions yourself.

Here recently, we added a new Exchange administrative group to our organization and our enterprise Exchange administrator gave me full permissions to the store. However, I was not assigned to the Exchange View Only role, thus I was unable to even view the new administrative group much less access it through the account.

Make sure all BES services are set to run as the BES service account, as well.

RemyJ 03-30-2006 07:40 PM

Yeah, checked all the permissions myself as well as the CDO versions, then gave a different SA the install guide and KB article and asked him to check it over. Also updated to 4.0.4 and the 2 latest hotfixes.

We're going to wipe everything clean right down to an freshly formatted hard drive for the BES server and start over. Best to do that now while we have only a few test users on board.

If that doesn't work, we'll give RIM a call and see how eager they are to close a sale before the end of the quarter. :)

vlw 03-30-2006 08:36 PM

I would be surprised if rebuilding BES will do anything for you. It seems like you have all the right ducks in a row.

Another thing you can try is to create a completely brand new BESadmin2 account and configure permissions. Give it an hours or so to bake.

Then logon to the BES using the new BESadmin2 account. You can either try to reset all of the services to use the new account, or reapply SP4 (best suggestion as will prompt to create new profiles and reset all of the services to use BESadmin2)

I have seen this scenario solve problems in the past.

Leave the old account there until you get the new one working.

RemyJ 03-30-2006 09:17 PM

We'll do that in the morning. This machine had a "history" so rebuilding it isn't all bad anyway. Our Ws2003 install process is pretty much fire and forget now.

MarkV 03-31-2006 02:09 AM

Are there any hotfixes installed on the Exchange server lately? If so check http://blogs.technet.com/exchange/ar...13/417440.aspx.

Kablooey 03-31-2006 09:23 AM

My suggestion for you if to start over from scratch, new server, new mailbox, new admin account and take it step by step to make sure you have all of the prerequesites and permissions set correctly. As stated earlier, make sure your exchange version on the BES matches your environment, register the CDO.dll, make sure the MDAC version is correct, make sure the BES has rights to the database if it is remote(usually best to allow the BES to create its database), make sure the admin account has been setup with only the rights described in the installation guide and that it has full rights on the server...etc. Also, you may want to do all of the testing on the server with the Baselline 4.0 software...you may get some of the glitchy errors but you will be able to test the functionality of the server without having to go through the upgrade and hotfix process.

Good luck!