BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Is BB the most used smartphone in the world (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=253359)

babaziz 09-13-2011 12:57 AM

Is BB the most used smartphone in the world

I have a bet with my cousin that blackberry's are currently the most used smartphone world-wide. I truly believe this, as they have commanded the lion's share of the market the longest and still have many corporate accounts. However, I'm having a hard time proving it. All the information I have find addresses sales, not total number of users. Does anyone (1st) agree and (2nd) have supporting documentation [either way]?

dc/dc 09-13-2011 06:10 AM

Re: Is BB the most used smartphone in the world

Sales is the only way you'll be able to quantify usage unfortunately.

Dubdub 09-13-2011 06:55 AM

Moved to a more appropriate section.

jamesbondOO7 09-13-2011 09:42 AM

Do you call the iPhone a smart phone or a toy that can (unreliably) be used to make phone calls, and with some luck, send and receive emails?

Dubdub 09-13-2011 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesbondOO7 (Post 1744055)
Do you call the iPhone a smart phone or a toy that can (unreliably) be used to make phone calls, and with some luck, send and receive emails?

Come on, give me a break please. We all know your characterization of the iPhone is bogus. If it were true, there would not be so many worldwide users.

I had a 3GS for a year and found it quite adequate for my needs, but I went back to the BB because it better suited how I use a smartphone.

dc/dc 09-13-2011 10:54 AM

Quote:

Magic Bananas.

You are an ignorant merda. I have owned 45 BlackBerry devices, and the iPhone was the first device that was able to move me away for any length of time. I have owned all iPhones and a lot of Android devices, and now with my iPhone 4 and its support for Exchange, I see no reason to ever go back. It works well for calls, texts, and e-mail, and the battery is now comparable with or better than touchscreen BlackBerry devices in 3G service areas.

knottyrope 09-13-2011 11:48 AM

you are a lucky one, we have had a lot of hardware failures on iphone 4

dropped calls when driving is a huge issue here still on iphones. when switching from 3g to 2g or vice versa the device will hang. If you keep it on 2g the issue is not present nearly as much. verizon users dont omplain as much as att users. So it might be more carrier related.

jamesbondOO7 09-13-2011 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc/dc (Post 1744067)
Magic Bananas.

You are an ignorant merda.

I love that kind of language! Please keep it coming! Bring it on ;-)

rambo47 09-13-2011 12:46 PM

The iPhone is the single most successful smart phone in the world right now. I don't see that changing anytime soon. Android is the most popular OS by sales (not necessarily by installed user base) but that's spread out over many different phones.

BlackBerry still has a large user base but it's not growing as fast as iOS and Android. In places like Africa BlackBerry is still the most popular brand of smart phone.

duane534 09-13-2011 01:01 PM

You're in a dangerous game at this point. It is difficult to compare across those lines, as there are many OEMs pumping out many Android devices, several generations of iPhone, and only one for BlackBerry. What really matters is that you get the right tool for the job. The "Big 3" continue to exist in 2011 where Windows Mobile and Palm do not because iOS, Android, and BlackBerry continue to deliver something that Windows Mobile and Palm failed at. It can be anything. Just do something that the others don't. That's why I see HTC picking up webOS. What's to keep an HTC Android user from buying a Motorola Android next time? Sense? Please... Regardless, you have to have a killer feature or capability. For iPhone, that is ease of use and a development program that encourages third-party developers. For Android, that is choice. Choice in hardware and choice and software. For BlackBerry, that is an operating system that is very streamlined for communication and personal information management. However, that could all change in 2012. Of the non-Big-3, the only one that I see being effective is Windows Phone 7. That is a wild card. Also, BlackBerry is migrating to QNX and will thus support Flash and be much more attractive to developers.

jsconyers 09-13-2011 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duane534 (Post 1744091)
What's to keep an HTC Android user from buying a Motorola Android next time? Sense? Please...

I may be in the minority, but I had the HTC Evo 4G and loved Sense. I could have upgraded to a Motorola device, but I would choose Sense over MotoBlur every time, so I upgraded to the HTC Evo 3D. Sense 3.0 makes sense even that much more enjoyable. Not just Sense, but Android as well. MotoBlur just doesn't do anything for me. I would much rather use the vanilla Android OS over MotoBlur, but I would prefer Sense over the rest. That is what kept me with HTC over the competition.

ifonline 09-13-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

What is the point of this? Oh, and magic bananas.

LunkHead 09-13-2011 04:07 PM

My iPhone 4 was a turd!

It makes sense to like sense, because its the sense'able solution...
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

jpri 01-02-2012 03:08 PM

I've been curious as to this also... I would imagine they WERE the most widely used before the iPhone came out and everyone had to have one. I personally have never gone the iPhone route because I prefer the hard keyboard as opposed to just a touch one