BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Aftermarket Software (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Signal Location utility for Blackberry BETA... (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=142672)

Shaun 10-05-2008 12:48 PM

When I access the GPS details screen and then Click the Escape button, the app hangs, and freezes my phone.

RemyJ 10-05-2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaun27612 (Post 1125686)
When I access the GPS details screen and then Click the Escape button, the app hangs, and freezes my phone.

Unfortunately it's another bug I can't reproduce in the simulator. It's going to have to wait until I get a real device.

ifonline 10-05-2008 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemyJ (Post 1125637)
CDMA networks use the GPS system...GSM networks don't use the GPS system the same way and don't provide their location.

Ah... ok. Thanks.

Walterwt 10-06-2008 12:31 AM

I had passed on the 8800 and pearl as I moved through and up devices, and took their word that the program wasn't working. I will verify in the morning. On the bold, the GPS works great and I know the tower location would not work because of the network specifics.
I did turn on logging on the program just in case it was helpful, otherwise I understand November 4th is when AT&T will finally roll out the Bold. The firmware has progressed through so many versions since the emulator was released, I can understand why it would not work. Good luck!

CarlGalgano 11-22-2008 11:28 AM

Any updates on a version that might work with the Bold? I had this on my 8820, it is a nice utility.

RemyJ 11-22-2008 11:35 AM

I'm hoping to have a Bold in hand in a few weeks.

CarlGalgano 11-22-2008 12:46 PM

Wow RemyJ, thanks for the very quick reply. I have used your program on my 8820 and loved it. Thanks for all your hard work on this program. Do you plan to take it commercial?

clevebb 11-22-2008 08:36 PM

Font size is extremely small, had to set it to 18 in the options. That's 10 more then I use normally to have the normal size. I had to do a battery pull before it would open. GPA details shows 0s for everything or not yet valid when switching to main screen.
I love it!!! Saved locations with Google Maps to get directions back there!!! Great for hiking or a favorite boat launch when there are no addresses.

RemyJ 12-05-2008 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlGalgano (Post 1178399)
Any updates on a version that might work with the Bold? I had this on my 8820, it is a nice utility.

I've got my Bold finally and should have a new release up in a few days.

CarlGalgano 12-05-2008 10:46 AM

Excellent, keep us posted.

avolcoff 12-06-2008 12:34 AM

you can use an application called FindMyLocation on handango to find your location using cell towers

CarlGalgano 12-09-2008 10:55 AM

RemyJ, hows the new bold and progress on an updated version coming?

RemyJ 12-09-2008 07:38 PM

There'll be a new release this weekend.

RemyJ 12-17-2008 10:27 PM

Signal-Location Utility version 1.0.1002 Released

With this release, I've move SignalLoc to the f5bbutil SourceForge project where KeePass for BlackBerry also resides.

--------------------------------------------

Signal-Location Utilities for BlackBerry

**Fixed**
2433834 No radio info on Bold
2433840 Font sizes aren't synched to general blackberry options

**New Features**
2433844 Use Google to find location of GSM cell sites
2433900 Add online help

kriEv 12-18-2008 05:46 PM

what network information is shown in 3G?

i havent installed it yet, but before doing that, i would like to know if it displays Scrambling Codes, ECIO and CellIDs.

RSSI you got covered from the sceener i saw :)

Thanks in advance

RemyJ 12-18-2008 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kriEv (Post 1214998)
what network information is shown in 3G?

i havent installed it yet, but before doing that, i would like to know if it displays Scrambling Codes, ECIO and CellIDs.

RSSI you got covered from the sceener i saw :)

Thanks in advance

CellID, yes. The rest aren't exposed by the RIM API.

jeremy 12-18-2008 10:50 PM

RemyJ,

Thank you for building this for the Bold. Having the app back, especially with the addition of GSM cell location, is great. (y)

FYI, I noticed that it seems that Loc information will stay the same when a new sector or cell comes along and there isn't Loc info for the new cell. In other words, it looks like the Cell Loc info may not age properly.

Jeremy

RemyJ 12-18-2008 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy (Post 1215311)
RemyJ,

Thank you for building this for the Bold. Having the app back, especially with the addition of GSM cell location, is great. (y)

FYI, I noticed that it seems that Loc information will stay the same when a new sector or cell comes along and there isn't Loc info for the new cell. In other words, it looks like the Cell Loc info may not age properly.

Jeremy

Let me check. I know it changes when the new cell site has a valid location but I didn't check when it doesn't. Also, since the GSM lookup is done from Google, it may take a little longer than normal to get the new location. If you exit from SignalLoc and restart it, how long does it take to get the location?

RemyJ 12-18-2008 11:01 PM

Oh yeah, it's also possible that Google is reporting the same lat/lon for the new site OR, the same physical base station is broadcasting two different cell ids.

If you give me the CELLID and LAC of the new and old cell sites, I can look them up manually.

jeremy 12-18-2008 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemyJ (Post 1215323)
Let me check. I know it changes when the new cell site has a valid location but I didn't check when it doesn't. Also, since the GSM lookup is done from Google, it may take a little longer than normal to get the new location. If you exit from SignalLoc and restart it, how long does it take to get the location?

It depends. Most of the time,when I exit and re-enter the app, the Loc will populate very quickly (or not at all). It does seem that the exit and re-launch will get information that did not populate after a cell change and continues app operation.

jeremy 12-18-2008 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemyJ (Post 1215331)
Oh yeah, it's also possible that Google is reporting the same lat/lon for the new site OR, the same physical base station is broadcasting two different cell ids.

If you give me the CELLID and LAC of the new and old cell sites, I can look them up manually.

Ahh. I'll see if I can get a specific example to you.

AL904 12-19-2008 02:28 PM

Signal Location Utility is a great application! Thanks for providing it to us RemyJ.

Here are a couple of details regarding my current connection that I would like to see added:
  • Frequency band (850, 1900, 1700/2100)
  • Distance and direction from My location to cell site
  • Markers on map from My Location and Cell site with connecting line between the two

I would also like an application that listed information regarding other network towers in the area that would display:
  • Operator name and Mobile Network Code
  • Frequency band (850, 1900, 1700/2100, etc.)
  • Technology (GSM, Edge, WCDMA, etc.)
  • Location (Latititude and longitude)
  • Signal strength

I am currently using a program called "CellFinder" on my T-Mobile G1 (Android) phone. That application has several of those features. You can read more about CellFinder at GoogleCode and Codeastrophe.

Also, a question about SignalLoc: In Network Details on my 9000, it shows the carrier as "AT&T." However, in the fields for MCC and MNC, it shows 784 and 1040. Shouldn't those fields contain 310 and 380?

Again, I really appreciate your good work, RemyJ! I hope you find some ideas for future enhancements from this post.

RemyJ 12-19-2008 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AL904 (Post 1216071)
Signal Location Utility is a great application! Thanks for providing it to us RemyJ.

Here are a couple of details regarding my current connection that I would like to see added:
  • Frequency band (850, 1900, 1700/2100)
  • Distance and direction from My location to cell site
  • Markers on map from My Location and Cell site with connecting line between the two

Let me check on frequency. I may be able to derive it from the channel number but the API doesn't expose it directly.

Distance and direction are displayed if both the lat/lon of the cell site and the current location are available. It's the last line of the main screen. Double check your font size and make sure it's not pushed off the screen.

Good idea on showing both markers. I'll add it.

Quote:

I would also like an application that listed information regarding other network towers in the area that would display:
  • Operator name and Mobile Network Code
  • Frequency band (850, 1900, 1700/2100, etc.)
  • Technology (GSM, Edge, WCDMA, etc.)
  • Location (Latititude and longitude)
  • Signal strength

I am currently using a program called "CellFinder" on my T-Mobile G1 (Android) phone. That application has several of those features. You can read more about CellFinder at GoogleCode and Codeastrophe.

Unfortunately, the API doesn't expose any information about neighboring cell sites. CellFinder's got the same problem.

Quote:

Also, a question about SignalLoc: In Network Details on my 9000, it shows the carrier as "AT&T." However, in the fields for MCC and MNC, it shows 784 and 1040. Shouldn't those fields contain 310 and 380?

Again, I really appreciate your good work, RemyJ! I hope you find some ideas for future enhancements from this post.

Yep, I never noticed that. The values are correct but should be displayed in hex instead of decimal. I'll fix shortly.

AL904 12-20-2008 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemyJ (Post 1216087)
Distance and direction are displayed if both the lat/lon of the cell site and the current location are available. It's the last line of the main screen. Double check your font size and make sure it's not pushed off the screen.

Thanks, RemyJ ! That did the trick.

Is there any chance of allowing the main screen to scroll down, so us folks with old eyes can use a larger font?

RemyJ 12-20-2008 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AL904 (Post 1216740)
Thanks, RemyJ ! That did the trick.

Is there any chance of allowing the main screen to scroll down, so us folks with old eyes can use a larger font?

Yeah, I thought it did until I was reproducing your problem. :)
I'll fix it shortly.

Jared 12-20-2008 12:27 PM

@RemyJ... I have never seen a developer so in touch with their user base. Keep up the good work!

Thx..

jjsbronco 12-23-2008 04:11 PM

wont work

I'm not able to get this to work, do you have any more helpful hints

RemyJ 12-23-2008 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjsbronco (Post 1220838)
I'm not able to get this to work, do you have any more helpful hints

Well my first hint would be for you to go into a little more detail. :)

TroyDBrown 12-23-2008 07:41 PM

RemyJ, Thanks again for all the work on this. I also would love to see frequency.

RemyJ 12-23-2008 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TroyDBrown (Post 1221144)
RemyJ, Thanks again for all the work on this. I also would love to see frequency.

I'm still looking at this. The RIM API only exposes the Absolute Radio Frequency Channel Number which isn't as absolute as the name implies. If you on GSM_1800, channel 512 is 1805.2 MHz if you're on GSM_1900, channel 512 is 1930.2 MHz. All RIM exposes about band for GSM is the bands that the handset is capable of, not the one actually in use. :razz:

SpectreBlofeld 12-27-2008 10:27 PM

This app is awesome, thanks so much!

mikedoan 01-07-2009 07:51 PM

Trying latest build on Bold.

I've been praying for an app like this and had no idea that one existed. I've been having ongoing issues with my carrier (Optus Australia) and they won't admit that they've got major network issues in my area (even though majority of my colleagues on Optus have the same issue).

This is exactly what I've been needing, now I can give them exact network details...

When trying to "view all on map" it comes up with an error. Also, I can view saved sites (have set it to automatically save all new sites except for unidentified ones), but can't work out the "view saved locations"; how do you actually save locations?

EDIT: Realised saved locations is actually "Auto Save location" (sorry)

hammondfra 01-07-2009 07:55 PM

Thanks for this neat little app...I will play with it more when I get out of work tonight...(y)

RemyJ 01-08-2009 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikedoan (Post 1238123)
Trying latest build on Bold.

I've been praying for an app like this and had no idea that one existed. I've been having ongoing issues with my carrier (Optus Australia) and they won't admit that they've got major network issues in my area (even though majority of my colleagues on Optus have the same issue).

This is exactly what I've been needing, now I can give them exact network details...

When trying to "view all on map" it comes up with an error. Also, I can view saved sites (have set it to automatically save all new sites except for unidentified ones), but can't work out the "view saved locations"; how do you actually save locations?

EDIT: Realised saved locations is actually "Auto Save location" (sorry)

Only BlackBerry Maps supports the ability to view multiple locations at a time so even if you set Google Maps in options, "view all" still uses BlackBerry maps. That being said, some later OS releases have a bug which prevents third party apps from opening BlackBerry maps. So, which OS version are you on and are you using the 8100 in your profile or another device?

You can also save a location explicitly from the menu if there's a valid GPS fix.

RemyJ 01-08-2009 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammondfra (Post 1238132)
Thanks for this neat little app...I will play with it more when I get out of work tonight...(y)

Thanks. Let me know how it works for you.

mikedoan 01-08-2009 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemyJ (Post 1238487)
Only BlackBerry Maps supports the ability to view multiple locations at a time so even if you set Google Maps in options, "view all" still uses BlackBerry maps. That being said, some later OS releases have a bug which prevents third party apps from opening BlackBerry maps. So, which OS version are you on and are you using the 8100 in your profile or another device?

You can also save a location explicitly from the menu if there's a valid GPS fix.

Thanks for the reply. I had worked out the manual location save (hadn't had chance to repost yet).

So can view multiple locations on BBMaps; ok.

I am using a Bold (OS:4.6.0.190)

I did try the open multiple, but because I don't have BBMaps installed (using Google), it obviously won't be able to open it.

I'm loving the functionality. One question, the "write debug messages..." option, what is that used for?

I'm hoping to be able to track where I'm having call dropout issues on my carrier's network. Will it log this type of info?

cccerberus 01-11-2009 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectreBlofeld (Post 1224915)
This app is awesome, thanks so much!

gotta agree!

CarlGalgano 01-11-2009 06:11 PM

RemJ, I have been using your app on my Bold for a while and have noticed a bug (I think). It often takes me several attempts to start/stop the application before the long/lat of the cell site will come up even though I may be sitting in the same location. Also along the same issue, if I can get the long/late to come up, when I am driving, if I see the phone change to a new cell site, the long/late does not update to the new tower, it seems to be the same as the last tower. If you would like for me to do any logging, debugging, etc (you will need to tell me how), I am happy to get you more info.

Dirky 01-11-2009 07:11 PM

Amazing app! Thanks.
This appeals to the inner geek within :)

zerog6 01-11-2009 08:36 PM

Does it only give you current locations when you open googlemaps? Or can you set it to give you realtime turn by turn location? The only way it works for me is to get my exact location by going into the program and clicking to show my location on the map. If I just try to use googlemaps normally, it will still only give a location radius of 1100 or so meters

Dirky 01-12-2009 11:29 AM

Where or how are the cell site locations read? Are the lat/long transmitted within the info the cell site sends out? Or is a lookup done from the cell id over the net?

It's very interesting to see the location of the nearby sites around me! One of them shows smack bang on the roof of a nearby school, which I am surprised about.

Thanks again
Mike

RemyJ 01-12-2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlGalgano (Post 1243167)
RemJ, I have been using your app on my Bold for a while and have noticed a bug (I think). It often takes me several attempts to start/stop the application before the long/lat of the cell site will come up even though I may be sitting in the same location. Also along the same issue, if I can get the long/late to come up, when I am driving, if I see the phone change to a new cell site, the long/late does not update to the new tower, it seems to be the same as the last tower. If you would like for me to do any logging, debugging, etc (you will need to tell me how), I am happy to get you more info.

A couple of things could be going on... First, for GSM sites, the cell site location is retrieved from Google based on the cell id. This requires a network connection which may be a little unstable during a handover. In Options, try setting "Cell site loc timeout" to 10 seconds or so.

Second, there are cases where the cell id will change but show the same location. Either the carrier is broadcasting 2 different cell ids from the same physical location, or Google doesn't have the correct location. If it happens all the time, then there's another problem.

Give the timeout a try and see what happens. If it doesn't help, let me know and we'll do more troubleshooting.

RemyJ 01-12-2009 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zerog6 (Post 1243297)
Does it only give you current locations when you open googlemaps? Or can you set it to give you realtime turn by turn location? The only way it works for me is to get my exact location by going into the program and clicking to show my location on the map. If I just try to use googlemaps normally, it will still only give a location radius of 1100 or so meters

I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

CarlGalgano 01-12-2009 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemyJ (Post 1244017)
A couple of things could be going on... First, for GSM sites, the cell site location is retrieved from Google based on the cell id. This requires a network connection which may be a little unstable during a handover. In Options, try setting "Cell site loc timeout" to 10 seconds or so.

Second, there are cases where the cell id will change but show the same location. Either the carrier is broadcasting 2 different cell ids from the same physical location, or Google doesn't have the correct location. If it happens all the time, then there's another problem.

Give the timeout a try and see what happens. If it doesn't help, let me know and we'll do more troubleshooting.

Will do, its still a great application.

RemyJ 01-12-2009 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirky (Post 1243956)
Where or how are the cell site locations read? Are the lat/long transmitted within the info the cell site sends out? Or is a lookup done from the cell id over the net?

It's very interesting to see the location of the nearby sites around me! One of them shows smack bang on the roof of a nearby school, which I am surprised about.

Thanks again
Mike

For CDMA networks (which isn't going to help you :) ) the cell site location is broadcast as part of the signal. For GSM networks, I call google with the cell site id and it returns the lat/lon of the site. How they maintain their database is a mystery.

RemyJ 01-12-2009 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikedoan (Post 1238507)
Thanks for the reply. I had worked out the manual location save (hadn't had chance to repost yet).

So can view multiple locations on BBMaps; ok.

I am using a Bold (OS:4.6.0.190)

I did try the open multiple, but because I don't have BBMaps installed (using Google), it obviously won't be able to open it.

I'm loving the functionality. One question, the "write debug messages..." option, what is that used for?

I'm hoping to be able to track where I'm having call dropout issues on my carrier's network. Will it log this type of info?

Oops, sorry for the late reply. The debug option writes info to the system error log. Since it slows things down a bit, you should only turn it on if I ask.

My original intent was to help diagnose and report signal problems.

Tim Jung 01-12-2009 09:11 PM

I'm using the new 8350i Curve on the Nextel network. Will this utility work on this phone?

RemyJ 01-12-2009 10:03 PM

Unfortunately, this program doesn't support the Nextel network. I don't have any device to test with and the simulators aren't that great with iDEN support. Sorry.

zerog6 01-13-2009 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemyJ (Post 1244023)
I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

For example:
I open the signal-loc program, and let it read my location.
Then I go to "show current loc on map" (which I have set in the options to use googlemaps)
Googlemaps opens, and shows my current location

So my question was if googlemaps is suppose to continuously use the signal-loc program to constantly update and show your location while you're moving? Or is it only supposed to show you that one specific location when you choose the "show current loc on map"?

RemyJ 01-13-2009 10:31 AM

Ah. Now I understand.

When SignalLoc opens GoogleMaps, it's just passing in a single set of coordinates and asking GoogleMaps to view that location. While GoogleMaps is showing that location, it's also doing what it would do if you opened it from the homescreen...finding your location using the GPS and database lookups directly. It does not use SignalLoc for anything.

CarlGalgano 01-13-2009 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemyJ (Post 1244017)

Your suggestion worked perfectly. I set the timeout for 15 sec and it automatically logged about a dozen unique cell site for me this morning.

Thank you again for such a great application.

RemyJ 01-13-2009 02:37 PM

Glad to hear!

x_zacherz_x 01-15-2009 04:23 AM

just a quick question... I have the blackberry storm, and your app works pretty good considering that its not made for it, but the thing that i dont get is why it wont tell me the lat and lon of ANY of my towers...
any ideas?
ps my carrier is Verizon...

ps2 haha
everything else shows up fine.

clectcar 01-15-2009 05:51 PM

Sending TXT or email with Lat/Lon data?

Want to be able to easily send a quick TXT or email with my Lat/Lon data. This data would be posted to a web page like location.clectar.com or clectcar.com/location
This feature will be used when running late to save a voice call.
I know this is a feature of the new Palm is there a Blackberry App?
Also the raw GPS data my 8820 from AT&T does not show altitude? Is there an altimeter application?

RemyJ 01-15-2009 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x_zacherz_x (Post 1247853)
just a quick question... I have the blackberry storm, and your app works pretty good considering that its not made for it, but the thing that i dont get is why it wont tell me the lat and lon of ANY of my towers...
any ideas?
ps my carrier is Verizon...

ps2 haha
everything else shows up fine.

Yeah, I just can't do anything with Verizon right now. Maybe someday. :)

RemyJ 01-15-2009 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clectcar (Post 1248709)
Want to be able to easily send a quick TXT or email with my Lat/Lon data. This data would be posted to a web page like location.clectar.com or clectcar.com/location
This feature will be used when running late to save a voice call.
I know this is a feature of the new Palm is there a Blackberry App?
Also the raw GPS data my 8820 from AT&T does not show altitude? Is there an altimeter application?

Interesting idea. I could probably add something like this in the future.

I don't have a problem getting altitude on my 8820. Is it missing on both the main screen and the GPS Details?

Andyn 01-15-2009 07:57 PM

I keep gettiing error code on the OTA download. Can you repost correct one? Thanks!

RemyJ 01-15-2009 09:39 PM

I just re-uploaded the file but it looks like it's still not working. I'm still checking.

ninety5teg 01-21-2009 09:28 PM

so guys..u need GPS to use this app right?

RemyJ 01-21-2009 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninety5teg (Post 1255594)
so guys..u need GPS to use this app right?

Not necessarily. You can still get radio information and possibly cell site location without a gps.

rtourge 01-29-2009 08:34 PM

So this won't show cell site locations if my carrier is verizon?

RemyJ 01-29-2009 09:08 PM

Unfortunately, correct.

Kris Wilson 02-05-2009 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemyJ (Post 1038275)
Signal-Location Utilities for BlackBerry Readme

Introduction:

SignalLocBB is a FREE utility that captures and displays details about your network connection and location.

This is the first Beta release so feedback is appreciated.

Links:

Signal-Location Utilities for BlackBerry: SourceForge.net: Signal-Location Utility for BlackBerry
OTA Download: http://f5bbutil.sourceforge.net/sign.../signalloc.jad

http://sourceforge.net/dbimage.php?id=181446http://sourceforge.net/dbimage.php?id=181450http://sourceforge.net/dbimage.php?id=181458

Exported data in Google Earth...
http://sourceforge.net/dbimage.php?id=181460

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Features:

* Displays network information such as signal level, services supported,
cell site identification, channel and, if supported by your device and
network, the latitude and longitude of the current cell site, if available.

Service Indicators:
V Voice
D Data
R Roaming
MDS MDS Connectivity through BES
WAP WAP Connectivity through carrier WAP
1XEV
EVDO
GPRS
EDGE
UMTS
SOS
DOP Data Service Opetational
DSUSP Data Service Suspended

Cell Site Id:
CDMA: SystemID-NetworkID-BaseStationID
GSM: RoutingAreaCode-LocationAreaCode-CellID-BaseStationId

Network Details screen provides all available information for the network
and cell site.

* Displays GPS information such as latitude, longitude, altitude, course and
speed. If cell site location is also available, the course and distance
from your current location to the cell site is also displayed.

* Both internal and BlueTooth GPS units are supported. Basically, if Google
Maps and BlackBerry Maps can use a device, so can SignalLoc.

* Can display locations in BlackBerry Maps or Google Maps.

* Can save cell site and location info as they change. Each change of cell
site can be automatically saved and the user can configure how often to
take a current location snapshot nased on distance travelled.

* Exports cell site and location info in KML or CSV format that can be easily
imported to Google Earth and other mapping programs, spreadsheets, etc.
The data can be exported to the clipboard or a media card.

* Displays device information such as battery strength, voltage, temperature,
flash and ram statistics.

* User selectable Imperial or Metric units.

Installation:

Your device MUST be running BlackBerry OS 4.2.1 or greater.

For OTA installation, visit the OTA download link above.

For desktop installation, download the .zip file and extract it. Open the
Desktop Manager and use the Application Loader wizard to load the program to
the handheld.

Great app thanks for the OTA option.

RemyJ 02-05-2009 10:59 AM

The board adds the "..." in the display of the url but the link itself is correct. Right click on the link and do a copy link location.

JeremyWI 02-06-2009 12:48 AM

Error with program

I had this program up and running great, then I was trying to change a few of the options and had a misclick and now can't get it to work. I accidentaly changed one of the distance parameters fro 1.0 kilometers to 0.1.0 and now get the error

WorkerLocation
Java.lang.NumberFormatException: multiple points

This error stops me from doing anything in the program (such as going back into the options to fix my mistake). I have also deleted and reinstalled the program many times both directly from the device and using the Desktop Manager. No matter what I do that same error pops up.

Any idea on how I could fix this?

RemyJ 02-06-2009 10:22 AM

Oops. My fault for allowing the multiple decimal points.

If you have a recent backup, you can do a selective restore from it using the desktop manager.

Open "Backup and Restore" and click on Advanced. On the left side, open the recent backup file, navigate to SignalLoc Options1 and press the ">>" button. You should now be able to get back into the app.

If you don't have a backup, I'll make a fix and get it out tonight.

JeremyWI 02-06-2009 11:27 AM

Wirelessly posted

Just got the phone a few days ago, so I hadn't created a backup yet. I'll make sure to get the updated version when you post it...absolutely loved the program, great job with it.

On a related note, the reason I was messing with the options was to try and get it to update realtime in googlemaps..is that possible?

RemyJ 02-06-2009 10:50 PM

SignalLoc v 1.0 - Build 1.0.1116 - Released February 6 2009
**Fixed**
000004 The auto add distance option fields accepts multiple decimal points

Only One Nurse 02-06-2009 11:44 PM

I have it loaded on my BB Pearl 8130, carrier Verizon. I live in a rural area,but have great cell phone service. I have read about the limitations with Verizon. How can I maximize the use of it; how do I get the best out of the options; do I use it with Google Maps or Blackberry Maps; does having VZ Navigator affect the performance. I never get a GPS acknowledged on any application except BB maps (or at least I don't think I do!).
Thanks in advance

JeremyWI 02-07-2009 12:49 AM

Fix worked great...thanks for the quick response!!

sprke81 02-07-2009 01:23 PM

I have the latest version and I can't get the tower location to work. I am on a gsm provider and have all the cell tower options turned on in options. Google maps detects my location so it should be in the database right? I have hit a least a dozen towers and it won't locate any of them.

sprke81 02-07-2009 01:26 PM

How would you go about checking googles database manually with cell id/channel string?

RemyJ 02-07-2009 11:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sprke81 (Post 1275499)
How would you go about checking googles database manually with cell id/channel string?

Sorry for the delay getting back to you on this. I tried the original cellid and lac you gave me and got back 10.518496,76.211443 which is on th west coast of India. Is that where you are?

AFAIK there's no online tool where you can enter the info but you can write a small program to do it for you. Here's a quick Java program that takes the cellid and lac as arguments and looks them up...

If you get coordinates from Google but not from SignalLoc, first make sure you have the latest version of SignalLoc, then post here if it still doesn't work.

sprke81 02-07-2009 11:29 PM

Lol. No I am in Montana. I have the latest version of SignalLoc.

RemyJ 02-07-2009 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprke81 (Post 1276055)
Lol. No I am in Montana. I have the latest version of SignalLoc.

Oh come on. It was close on the galactic scale. :)

There's not much I can do if Google doesn't have the correct info. Try a few with the program I attached or post a few more cellid/lac combinations for me to try.

RemyJ 02-07-2009 11:41 PM

Also post the MNC.

sprke81 02-07-2009 11:48 PM

I'm trying to figure out how to run this java program lol. Do I have to know code or am I just being dense?

sprke81 02-08-2009 12:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a screenshot of my saved tower list. Do you need more info then that?

sprke81 02-08-2009 12:08 AM

MNC is 570

RemyJ 02-08-2009 11:30 AM

Well, I got valid lat/lon for each of the entries so I'm not sure what's going on.

Under Options/Cell Site, set the options to yes, yes, yes, yes, no. ALso change the cell site location timeout to 20.

See if that helps.

sprke81 02-08-2009 02:15 PM

I have it all like you say. I have played with the cell site location timeout also. I have tried all the way up to 50. The last while has been on 20. Thanks for your time and effort so far. I really hope I can get it working.

fumandor 02-17-2009 11:46 PM

Just donwloaded the software using the OTA link and it works great. I installed it on a Bold. As a suggestion, if this software could record all the data it recieves (cell id, RSSI etc) as well as time and position into one log file it would rival comercial software used by Ericsson and Nokia. There is enough memory on the memory card where this log file could be saved to. I work in telecom and the ability to view this log file would help in troubleshooting coverage gaps as well as handover failures from one cell site sector to another.

RemyJ 02-18-2009 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fumandor (Post 1289301)
Just donwloaded the software using the OTA link and it works great. I installed it on a Bold. As a suggestion, if this software could record all the data it recieves (cell id, RSSI etc) as well as time and position into one log file it would rival comercial software used by Ericsson and Nokia. There is enough memory on the memory card where this log file could be saved to. I work in telecom and the ability to view this log file would help in troubleshooting coverage gaps as well as handover failures from one cell site sector to another.

Excellent idea. I'll add the capability in the next release.

CCK01 02-21-2009 05:08 PM

What need to change on the customer setting when using oTA?

Just download it... AT&T service, but didn't see anything on locaton, site,......

RemyJ 03-01-2009 12:12 PM

SignalLoc v 1.0 - Build 1.0.1134 - Released March 1 2009

**Added**
0000007: Create continuous logging capability
0000008: Create capability to force sign on lat,lon,alt

CarlGalgano 03-01-2009 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemyJ (Post 1304003)
**Added**
0000007: Create continuous logging capability
0000008: Create capability to force sign on lat,lon,alt

RemyJ, can you explain how the continuous logging works?

RemyJ 03-01-2009 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlGalgano (Post 1304115)
RemyJ, can you explain how the continuous logging works?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fumandor (Post 1289301)

When enabled, it writes out information to a csv file each time the location updates. I.E. lat,lon,alt,cell site, signal, etc.

sprke81 03-03-2009 10:17 PM

Still haven't got the tower location working yet on gsm. I have it on my Alltel blackberry and it works great. I noticed in a previous post that the tower location don't work on verizon. I changed the nam programming so it would use vzw towers and found that it did work on verizons network. So is it vzw software on their blackberries or what makes it not work for vzw customers?

RemyJ 03-03-2009 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprke81 (Post 1307160)
Still haven't got the tower location working yet on gsm. I have it on my Alltel blackberry and it works great. I noticed in a previous post that the tower location don't work on verizon. I changed the nam programming so it would use vzw towers and found that it did work on verizons network. So is it vzw software on their blackberries or what makes it not work for vzw customers?

It's the vendor ID burned into the blackberry that prevents the GPS from working. If you roam on Verizon's network using another carrier's device, you'll get cell tower location.

fmcgirt 03-07-2009 11:33 PM

The tower location worked fine on my 8900 with TMO USA with the first version that you posted but since I upgraded to your latest 1134 build I have not been able to get the tower location. Would the first version still be available? I would like to give it a try again if possible. Thanks.

RemyJ 03-08-2009 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmcgirt (Post 1311676)
The tower location worked fine on my 8900 with TMO USA with the first version that you posted but since I upgraded to your latest 1134 build I have not been able to get the tower location. Would the first version still be available? I would like to give it a try again if possible. Thanks.

Before you go back, make sure that the timeout is set to something reasonable. In Options->Advanced->Cell site loc timeout, make sure it's set to at least 10.

If you want to go back, the sourceforge site has archived versions.
SourceForge.net: F5 BlackBerry Utils: Files

fmcgirt 03-08-2009 09:58 AM

I went back to build 1116 last night and set the loc timeout to 10 and still no luck. Tried it again this morning and all worked fine. Really strange. Thanks for the help.

Ahmad Abbadi 03-10-2009 12:02 PM

Hello,

Thanks for the great application and great features, could you please let me know which applications you have used to develope this application?

Many Thanks

Ahmad

RemyJ 03-10-2009 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahmad Abbadi (Post 1314543)
Hello,

Thanks for the great application and great features, could you please let me know which applications you have used to develope this application?

Many Thanks

Ahmad

I use Eclipse and the BlackBerry Java Development Environment.

Ahmad Abbadi 03-11-2009 03:03 AM

Thanks Remy

sprke81 03-23-2009 04:18 PM

Does the tower location with gsm need an apn to work? My carrier does not have an apn for there blackberry phones? I have not had any luck yet getting tower location info to work yet on Cellular One gsm network. Works perfect on Alltels.

RemyJ 03-25-2009 07:45 PM

If other apps have network connectivity, then signalloc should also. I'm not sure what else to tell you.

nickdoo 03-26-2009 07:51 PM

RemyJ, first thanks very much for this application, I've been searching for something like this for BB for a while and google never pointed me to this!!
I downloaded the file (.1134) When I go to options and make any changes and attempt to exit I select "save" for my changes but it never goes back to the main screen, it stays in the options menu.
When I launch the program I do get network information on the mainscreen at the top I can decipher the ID/ch to find the cell and sector, 3rd set of numbers on that line up? when I start moving I get location,altitude,speed,heading. The cell Site field stays blank, is this supposed to populate with the cell site number?
I'm using a blackberry bold on the at&t network, if this helps any.

Thanks again...

RemyJ 03-26-2009 08:18 PM

Just press the escape/back key to get out of options. If you've made a change, you'll get prompted to save and you'll be taken back to the main screen.

In options, make sure that "Enable cell site location" and "Use Google for GSM Cell location" are both set to "yes". That'll enable you to see the cell site lat/lon and if you also have a good GPS fix, you'll see the distance and heading to the tower from your current location.

Look at the Network Details screen to see the details of the ID/CH line on the main screen

nickdoo 03-29-2009 10:41 AM

RemyJ,
I think I didnt clearly explain the issue I'm having. I can go to options and I have selected the changes, when I select escape the window pops up to save the settings I made but does not leave the options menu. Every time I try to exit the window keeps poping up and I end up selecting discard to leave the options menu.

After discarding changes I can go back into options and a few but not all changes I made were kept.
Enable cell site location: yes
Use google for gsm cell location: yes
export format changed to csv: yes
cell site loc timeout changed to 10: no did not take the change
enable continous logging changed to yes: no did not take the change
selecting log file location I pointed this to my sd card 16GB, and named a file. the change did not save
auto start continous logging changed to yes: no did not take the change

Even with the cell location and using google the field at the bottom of the screen "cell site" the field remains blank. I have information in all the other fields: current, location, altitude, speed, and heading.

let me know if I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks,