BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9700 Series Discussion - Bold 2 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   'R' for reply shortcut missing from SMS (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=210915)

BerryHungry 11-18-2009 04:02 AM

'R' for reply shortcut missing from SMS

Just got the new Bold 9700, OS v5.0.0.344 with the threaded SMS view. The shortcut 'R' for replying to a message has gone. Does anyone know if this is a permanent feature and part of the new threaded view? The old SMS view allowed 'R' for reply and 'F' for forward - a very handy and quick shortcut.

TS6141 11-18-2009 07:09 AM

I have a 5.0 OS on my original bold and I don't need to type R to reply because with it being threaded its like an IM convo and I just type my reply then hit enter. Can you not do the same?

Unless you mean when you view all SMS conversations like in the list form then I can't hit "R" and have it open for me to reply either.

Iluvmy7290 11-18-2009 10:59 AM

If you're cursor is sitting in the text field to write a reply, there's no need to press 'R', just start typing.

However, if you move your cursor up into the message thread, the words, "Press R to Reply" will appear in the text area below.

Bone_Daddy 11-18-2009 11:14 AM

Exactly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iluvmy7290 (Post 1509865)
If you're cursor is sitting in the text field to write a reply, there's no need to press 'R', just start typing.

However, if you move your cursor up into the message thread, the words, "Press R to Reply" will appear in the text area below.

kurichan 11-18-2009 03:02 PM

I think he means that you can't hit "R" as a reply shortcut from the Messages app where many of us first see our incoming SMS messages.

I strongly agree with the complaint.

If it's a mistaken omission on RIM's part, they need to fix it.

If they intend to leave out the ability to reply to an SMS from the main messages list by hitting "R," they need to get their heads checked.

flash24 11-18-2009 09:21 PM

I guess they took this feature out because of the threaded sms.

BerryHungry 11-19-2009 05:09 AM

Catch 22

Hi guys, thanks for the quick reply. I spoke to Stinsonddog about it and he summed it up perfectly - catch 22. If you open the message there is no need for R if you are using BBM style SMS. You still only have to press one button to be able to start typing your reply. I miss R still though! If you look through the thread you can still press R at any time to start typing. F for forward needs to be option selected still which is annoying. And if you want to forward an SMS you have to look through the thread to find the part you want - you can search still which takes you to the correct part of your thread.

I think I just prefer the old way of viewing SMS - but then again I hate the Gmail thread system so maybe I'm just old hat!?

Jared 11-30-2009 06:37 PM

I too hate the fact that I cant just hit R to reply to an SMS. Come on RIM put that back in... or at least let us turn off threaded SMS.

evandt 12-01-2009 02:03 AM

yea, by far my least favorite addition to 5 that I've noticed. it drives me nuts.

pinhead 12-01-2009 02:33 AM

If they would just fix the issue with Alt + Del clearing the entire messaging field I will be quite happy not pressing R to reply. I can't recall using this feature recently.

BerryHungry 12-01-2009 04:23 AM

Yes!

Yes! Alt + Del is so painful - 3 SMS pages in and you press that, how annoying. I'm staying with my 9000, not just for the threaded SMS but the 9700 is too small re the keyboard. Okay it's not horrendous or anything like that but the 9000 is much more pleasurable to type on.