BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   iPhone Android & other HandHeld Forum (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Will you move away from BlackBerry? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=238814)

Tom 10-27-2010 12:55 PM

Will you move away from BlackBerry?

There is lots of talk, but very little actual data to back it up. I am curious how many of you are considering moving away from your BlackBerry and moving on to another device that can do more for you in whatever category.

TXLady 10-27-2010 01:06 PM

Actually, multiple answers may apply. I moved to iPhone for my personal device but still use BB for work.

Tom 10-27-2010 01:13 PM

And any specific reasons as to why? The tour is not exactly a state of the art BlackBerry, so I am just curious what made you choose an Iphone?

juwaack68 10-27-2010 02:37 PM

I chose "I won't consider a move yet, I have faith RIM will come out with a competing device".

While I won't yet consider a move, it's not quite because I have faith in RIM. I like my BB for the keyboard and BBM. Mobile sites are improving with OS6, but have obviously not caught up with the iPhone....yet. I won't move to iPhone or Android because I either don't like typing on a touchscreen, or the slide out keyboards (think: HTC Epic) are horrid.

NJBlackBerry 10-27-2010 03:15 PM

I am trying everything out there - iPhones, Androids of many flavors - to try and find something that is "better" than a BlackBerry for me. Can't find it yet. Love the 9700, OK with the 9800, can't type a damn on the iPhone 4, Samsung Vibrant (Android) is OK but terrible battery life, and waiting for the G2 to come in.

Of course since one of my criteria is that the device runs Office Communicator, that limits anything not called "BlackBerry". Even Windows Phone 7 isn't shipping with OCS!

MidnightDraven 10-27-2010 05:03 PM

I'm none of the above:
I have moved, to a non-smartphone [or other brand].

devnull 10-28-2010 07:52 AM

I have considered moving, but cannot decide what other device would fit my needs.

Much like Juwaack, I dislike touch screen devices but love the blackberry keyboard and BBM.

asd87 10-28-2010 08:05 AM

I have moved on and came back but I'm gonna move on again..blackberry os is dead they are using such old technology and trying to call it new and its the samsung epic4G not HTC...you're thinking of the EVO blackberry is truely a dead platform with over priced worthless apps and themes are outrageously over priced!! At any rate I'll be moving on to an android device
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

jsconyers 10-28-2010 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asd87 (Post 1668692)
I have moved on and came back but I'm gonna move on again..blackberry os is dead they are using such old technology and trying to call it new and its the samsung epic4G not HTC...you're thinking of the EVO blackberry is truely a dead platform with over priced worthless apps and themes are outrageously over priced!! At any rate I'll be moving on to an android device

The app and theme developers are the ones setting the prices, not RIM.

RIM is also completely revamping their OS. No, I am not talking about OS 6 either, although that is a step in the right direction. Do a search for QNX to see what the playbook is going to run on, and that is also going to be the new OS on their handheld devices as well.

Now, back on topic... I, too, have switched to an EVO some months ago and I am happy with my choice. But, it did take a while to adjust to a lot of things and there are still things I miss about the BlackBerry. However, I get my BB fix by carrying one for work.

rambo47 10-28-2010 10:57 AM

I have moved away from BlackBerry multiple times and always came back.

Went to Nokia phones for multimedia capabilities back in the days of the BB 7230. Tried a bunch of different Nokias and did the same thing each time. I tried to make them more "BlackBerry-like". The only rational thing to do was go back to BlackBerry.

When the Palm Pre first came out I left AT&T and my BB Bold 9000 (which I won in a contest right here at BlackBerry Forums!) and went to Sprint. I used Treo smartphones way back before discovering BlackBerrys, and while Palm's execution slacked off terribly, their concept of a conversion device for phone + organizer was revolutionary. Especially because it was geared to the consumer, not the business user as BlackBerrys had been. They had games, other fun apps, and even did email. At the time it was really quite something, marrying the excellent Palm Pilot organizer to a cell phone. But by the time the Treo 650 was the hot model the platform had major stability issues. That's what led me to the BlackBerry 7230 and the 7105t (an all-time favorite of mine). So I had this soft spot in my heart (and probably my head!) for Palm and I bought into the hype of WebOS and the Palm Pre. I lasted just long enough to get my mail-in rebate for the Pre and promptly put it on my shelf. I ran (not walked - ran) to the nearest Sprint store and bought another BlackBerry. My relief was palpable.

More recently I bought the Samsung Epic 4G for Sprint. Very interesting device, does tons of stuff, and has a gorgeous screen that looks like a mini plasma tv. Android is fun. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting some cool new app for Android. I loved the skymap and droidsat (for pinpointing the positions of all known satellites). But the Epic was too big go be used/carried comfortably, has releavitely short battery life, and just didn't do email like a BlackBerry. I gave it a good 4 weeks or so before putting it on the shelf next to my Palm Pre and re-activating my BB 9650.

I have no brand loyalty to RIM and BlackBerrys. I continually try the latest thing, and I will probably continue to do so. But BlackBerrys just get it done for me. And while no platform is perfect, nothing else is as good for my needs. Not even close.

ezrunner 10-28-2010 11:58 AM

The BlackBerry works well for me don't really want to learn a new device and the BB does everything I need it to. I have no reason to leave the product at this time

Iare Tosevite 10-28-2010 04:03 PM

Considering it now. There is NO blackberry with front facing camera for VP software.

I find this increasing important.

TXLady 10-28-2010 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 1668452)
And any specific reasons as to why? The tour is not exactly a state of the art BlackBerry, so I am just curious what made you choose an Iphone?

I like phones. When I was on TMO, I switched at least once a year and usually more often (including buying unlocked phones). When I switched to Verizon last year, I started with a Storm II but decided quickly that I hated it so switched to Droid within first 30 days. I stuck with the Droid 3-4 months before figuring out that while I liked some things on it, I could not stand the way it screwed up my contacts and calendar. (I sync both with Outlook. I know there are other ways but that's what I do and everytime I try something else, I am unhappy so I'm sticking with it for now.) So I got a personal Tour. I actually like the Tour but I wanted a touch screen. I did not like Verizon so decided to pay ETF for family plan and we all moved to AT&T. My brother (who kept his Storm II on Verizon) and I both got iPhones. I love it. It works very well. My contacts and calendar are properly handled as is my email. I just like the way it works. I like the touch screen on the iPhone (didn't like touch screen on Storm II; did like it on Droid). Doesn't mean I'll stay with iPhone forever or that I won't try a different BB in the future, but this is the first time in a long time that I haven't gotten bored or started looking for my next phone within 2-3 months after getting a phone.

Yes, battery life sucks on the iPhone. No, I've had no problems with the antenna thing -- I put an Incipio Feather case on the iPhone day 1 but I would have put one on it whether other people reported antenna problems or not (had one on my Tour). No proximity sensor issues. Etc. It works for me. But you know what, it's just a phone after all. (Well, and a nice gadget. I like gadgets.)

Dubdub 10-28-2010 04:09 PM

I left. Came back. Left. Came back. Left. Came back. You get the picture.

Always keep coming back to the BB because it always works. Client gave me an iPhone and paid the 1st year. But I came back to the BB after that.

blair thought 10-29-2010 03:03 AM

As long as I use BB, I won't left. For the time being, my BB works well for me. So, I will not left now.

widorrah 10-29-2010 11:21 AM

I have an 8320, for two years now.

I really don't see why I should invest in any of the newer model BBs.
I'm still waiting for that killer BB - something like an iPhone/Droid exterminator.

Needless to say, my vote falls into 'I won't consider a move yet, I have faith RIM will come out with a competing device.'

Tom 10-29-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by widorrah (Post 1669045)
I have an 8320, for two years now.

I really don't see why I should invest in any of the newer model BBs.
I'm still waiting for that killer BB - something like an iPhone/Droid exterminator.

Needless to say, my vote falls into 'I won't consider a move yet, I have faith RIM will come out with a competing device.'

That seems to be a common thought. I really wish RIM would up their game.

aiharkness 10-29-2010 04:59 PM

I voted "I won't consider a move yet.." as that's the closest to my belief and situation.

I'm not "blackberry forever" because I am ready to switch in a moment if the BlackBerry doesn't meet my needs. And I am a little disappointed in RIM sometimes and the little steps instead of big ones between major device and OS upgrades that have been the norm since I've been using the product (though I think I have some appreciation for the balances that RIM is trying to maintain).
But the BlackBerry does meet my needs. I see myself as precisely the kind of "consumer" user that RIM is designing for. I do care about multimedia, but it's a matter of degree; phone, email, and internet access anytime anywhere is my priority, not entertainment. I don't care about games. I don't care if the other platforms have gazillions of apps; I have the ones I need. I don't care about lots of customization options and bells and whistles which to me is useless overhead. And I certainly would have no use for the fun and frolic of a device that can be hacked.

I think a big step is coming with the new QNX OS. Still, I don't know if it will make BlackBerry a "competing" device in the sense the poll means. As I say, I think RIM is marketing to users with different priorities.

dc/dc 10-30-2010 07:09 AM

I moved on, but it wasn't really what I wanted to do... My hand was pretty much forced by T-Mobile USA tightening down on international usage, and Android was really the only viable replacement for me as a Gmail user.

mriff 10-30-2010 08:43 AM

My 9650 is work issued. I like the physical keyboard, and won't have a device that doesn't have one. I like the track pad. It's the most all around best blackberry I have owned. Even if it wasn't work issued, I'd buy one anyway. Looking forward to seeing what RIM comes up with in the future.

SteveO86 10-30-2010 08:48 AM

For me, BlackBerry does what I need. I got email/sms/IM/FB/RSS/podcasts(with video)/music sync/twitter/weather/account and password management, and everything the normal smartphone has. Much of that is due to OS 6.

While I do know any other smartphone can do that as well it's just seems easier for me with blackberry with shortcut keys and auto-text. Plus I don't want to learn a new phone.

I know the market is taking leaps and bounds forward but 3 years ago I had my 8830 running 4.2.2 and I loved it!! All I really had back them was email (and it wasn't even HTML!!!), a few IM accounts (remember AIM did not have a stand alone client back then), and that was really it I didn't even have play list support with 4.2.2!

Now look at the BlackBerry, it to has been taking leaps and bounds forward just not as quick as the competitors.

I just hate to fix something that's already working.

(My signature really sums up everything I just said.. not that I have gotten that out of the way I suppose I can change it again haha)

KOR 11-01-2010 08:47 AM

My spouse has an Android powered device. The accelerometer doesn't work very well, but otherwise I think it's a nice phone. But, there's nothing about it that I find compelling enough to make me consider switching. As far as an iPhone goes, I wouldn't even consider it based on how much control Apple attempts to exert over its use.

Miks101 11-01-2010 10:29 AM

I love my blackberry!

knottyrope 11-02-2010 02:53 PM

Love the Torch and loved the 9700 when I had it before.

sandro21 11-05-2010 01:34 AM

I have one blackberry for life,one iphone for work,they are all my favorite

avelasqu 11-05-2010 11:48 AM

I am the epitome of a tech/phone aficionado. I seem to always want to try new technologies, break them, hack them, play with them and use them. I've have tried every OS platform and form factor, all on the T-Mobile network. I cannot see myself leaving T-Mobile as their price points fit our family needs to a "T". (LOL)

That being said, throughout my years of playing with new phones, the current Blackberry at the time has always found itself back into the my hands. I currently used the 9700 as it is ROCK SOLID and does everything I need it to - seamlessly.

I voted, "I am considering it, moving to the Windows Phone platform."

I abhor Android, iPhone iOS is great, but no 3G T-Mobile support, however WinPho seems to be something that I am getting attracted to - especially with the Xbox Live integration (I am an avid gamer as well). I ALWAYS have my trusty 9700 with me, but depending on my days activities, also carry a PSP or iPod Touch or Nintendo DS.

I am researching the HD7 immensely and I am finding a genuine, whipped, attraction to it. The only real turn off is the lack of 4G (which is BLAZING fast on the MyTouch 4G and G2) and relatively old hardware (the HD7 has been in production for the last 1.5 years).

Im still heavily torn. Ideally, a Blackberry with 4G support with a modern screen size (something a little bigger than the 9700 form factor would do, i.e., Storm) would keep me with RIM. And even more specifically, a Torch with full T-Mobile bands would keep me grounded a bit longer.

Is Blackberry a bit behind, the trend? Yes. But its relative. Most of us dont need or want all the shiny bells and whistles, especially when a BB battery life can last for 2 days with heavy use.

Most of us stay with RIM for its Pure Productivity and SOLID security policies.

In retrospect, I am looking for something new to replace my 9700 wifey. Maybe I just need to have an affair with the HD7 to make me appreciate the 9700 even more, who knows? Maybe a divorce is in order. I guess we'll find out on the 8th when I get the HD7 in my hands.

Being a happy RIM'er (no homo) for a long time has made me happy, but the trendy wave has slightly caught my attention.

Im grandly waiting for the 9800 on T-Mobile or even on a greater scale, the Storm 3 on T-Mobile with 4G.

RIM's inability to be more 'recent' has allowed these windows of opportunities to be explored. And in most cases, this is bad for your company or product.

But RIM is still strong in many of our eyes and minds, so I'm eager to see what the HD7 will be bring me on the 8th and even more-so, what RIM will bring in 2011.

Thoughts?

Storm20Month 11-08-2010 09:36 PM

Sadly, I'll probably leave BB in 8 days when I'm eligible for an upgrade. Thinking of going "Droid". There are many things that I like about my Storm, but when it comes down to it, I need something dependable. Almost from the time I got the Storm, I've had to do a battery pull - almost every day. Despite updates, it freezes up almost daily. It takes a very long time to access websites - if at all. It can hold only five apps. When I try to add any more, I always get a message that there is not enough memory. Occasionally, the touch screen goes wonky and will not recognize what I touch on the screen.

I like a touch-screen, and I'm staying with Verizon, so my only other BB choices at this time don't have the touch screen. Who knows...maybe I'll come back to BB in the future, but the frustration I've experienced with the Storm over the past 20 months has led me to this choice.

fritzykadoo 11-09-2010 12:35 AM

BB support (esp. AT&T) blows...think about it, the 8900 Curve still only has OS 4.7 support from AT&T officially...and RIM has released OS 6.0...this makes NO sense to me. Why do different operators have different OS's (yes, I know the 'stack' needs to be different depending on GSM (EDGE/3G) vs. CDMA but this is ridiculous.

Currently srongly leaning towards iPhone (large number of apps available) but friends/colleagues are pushing me towards Android...expect to make a decision soon.

Fritz

jsconyers 11-09-2010 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fritzykadoo (Post 1672526)
BB support (esp. AT&T) blows...think about it, the 8900 Curve still only has OS 4.7 support from AT&T officially...and RIM has released OS 6.0...this makes NO sense to me. Why do different operators have different OS's (yes, I know the 'stack' needs to be different depending on GSM (EDGE/3G) vs. CDMA but this is ridiculous.

Currently srongly leaning towards iPhone (large number of apps available) but friends/colleagues are pushing me towards Android...expect to make a decision soon.

Fritz

You most likely have never talked directly to RIM support. You most likely talked to AT&T's technical support. RIM's support is actually pretty good. I speak with them on a pretty frequent basis.

RIM sends all of the carriers the OS, it is up to the carrier to release it or not. Your issue is not with RIM, but with AT&T.

Also, you can generally get A LOT more information on how to correct an issue, hardware or software (regardless of OS version, or which carrier released it as you can load the OS from another carrier on your 8900) on this forum than you would if you called your carrier support desk.

andrewknight 11-09-2010 04:58 PM

I started my BB thing late on with a 9500, a bad place to start! By the time I got rid of it I'd just about got it working right but that took months of tweaking and different os builds.
Followed that with a 7290! Brilliant phone, I'm not one of these folk with 50 apps or more, I've only got logmaid on my current 9700.
Went to an Iphone 3Gs 16g and although I liked it for a week I soon got bored with jailbreaking and Apple in general.
Now running the aforementioned 9700 and loving it.
I'll never leave the brand again although I am going to exchange my 9700 for a 9000.

smccullagh 11-11-2010 07:42 AM

I'm around 4 weeks into my first ever Blackberry (a Pearl 9105 3G) and so far I like it, but have encountered a few niggles thus far that make me wonder whether they're actually stable devices - remain to be convinced!

dcollens 11-11-2010 01:20 PM

Probably move on

A couple of reasons that I may move.

1st it does not appear as if the 9550 will get OS6.

2nd there doesn't seem to be any move to allow sync for Office for Mac 2011. If I can't sync all of my information, then there is nothing that makes it attractive to stay.

dc

cyclone321 11-12-2010 08:52 AM

Re: Will you move away from BlackBerry?

I enjoy the iphone

djm2 11-14-2010 11:32 AM

I will of course consider options of any stripe; I try to make a point of avoiding slavish devotion to any piece of technology. For now BB is doing good things for me on the whole, but there are a number of deficits that I see.

sexygyrl 11-15-2010 01:06 AM

I too am a phone junkie..I have left my 8530 for the EVO. I can't seem to find OS 6 for 8530, and Sprint just doesn't have new BB. Sure the trackpad is great, but other than that, there's really not much different from my 9630, or 8830 (other than the Tour having quieter keys than either version of the Curve). I could have switched to the Bold, but it seems to just be the Tour just with a trackpad.

Maybe one day Sprint and RIM will surprise me, but I'm not very hopeful.

jsconyers 11-15-2010 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexygyrl (Post 1674349)
I can't seem to find OS 6 for 8530, and Sprint just doesn't have new BB.

I don't believe OS 6 will be available on the 8530. Also, Sprint just released the BB Style which is the flip version and it runs OS 6.

O2JR 11-16-2010 03:12 AM

Sometimes makes me wonder If i picked the right phone, I love my 9700 but sometimes it lacks for some cool apps for symbian, iphone or android. But a blackberry phone if you know how to use it get it used to it, it's cool ...and for work is awesome, email feature there is no single os who can beat his ass lol, well let's see in the future for now im cool with my bb ..peace..

AlleyGator 11-17-2010 12:19 PM

Before the BB, I had an Android. Didn't like it at all - touch pad too sensitive. I love the BB Bold 9650. It's perfect for me and what I want to do.

Darren_Z 11-17-2010 12:59 PM

I just got a BB - still have a lot to learn from it but what i have started learning and seeing from others i dont think i would move away now. its has just about everything i will need and use so i will stick BlackBerry for a long time to come!!

hd56fox 11-17-2010 04:24 PM

I'm in the same position as you. I have BB9700 and tomorrow I receive a data plan and the phoine number of first time.
So far I have studied and still have much to learn.
Even so, I think is the best phone I ever had.
I hope that on this forum to learn how to use it
So far it seems great.

sjalsevac 11-17-2010 04:33 PM

I will move to the Iphone very soon unless RIM comes up with a new business class unit that rivals the IPhone and Android browsing speeds.

My Bold 9000 is painfully slow at browsing. I compared it with a Torch and was astonished to find that it was no faster. (I did the test myself browsing multiple sites on both phones). What boggles my mind is that RIM put such a weak processor in the Torch. What are they thinking?

I need fast browsing because I have to do much more Internet related work and tethering now using my phone. The Torch is hopeless compared to the IPhone that I have now bought for three of my staff who previously had Blackberrys. They love those things.

I have been hanging on longer but the wait is now getting ridiculous. I cannot see why RIM is still so far behind in some critical areas. An up-to-date, more powerful processor would seem to be the first simple solution to the browsing problem. There are of course other issues related to the arcane OS in both the old and new Blackberries, but I can live with OS 6 for a while under the assumption that RIM will still add many improvements to it. For now, with the 9000 I am stuck with an older dinosaur 5.0 OS.

Serafina 11-18-2010 01:45 AM

I can't leave BlackBerry. If I leave it, I will feel lonely and bored. It's my life. hehe...

jpcalhoun 11-19-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 1668448)
There is lots of talk, but very little actual data to back it up. I am curious how many of you are considering moving away from your BlackBerry and moving on to another device that can do more for you in whatever category.

Well, I made the move. I moved from the Blackberry Tour to the Droid Pro. Why...larger screen, more internal memory, faster processor, better multi-tasking OS (and faster), more flexibility and better web speed, rendering and flexibility. I use for business and personal.

I would have probably stayed with Blackberry if I could have gotten the Torch on Verizon. But...that isn't happening, right now anyway...I will not move to AT&T and I don't want an iPhone.

I've had the Pro for a week...it is a great phone...very happy with the phone and that I made the move. No harsh words about Blackberry.

avelasqu 11-19-2010 11:38 AM

Well, I geeked out on the myTouch 4G for a little over a week and ended back with my trusty 9700. Will be getting the 9780 next week. For what I do, heavy emailer/texter, no phone can do it better, faster and more reliable. Sorry for the short affair BB, its good to be back home.

avelasqu 11-19-2010 11:56 AM

Well, I geeked out on the myTouch 4G for a little over a week and ended back with my trusty 9700. Will be getting the 9780 next week. For what I do, heavy emailer/texter, no phone can do it better, faster and more reliable. Sorry for the short affair BB, its good to be back home.

neil154 11-20-2010 09:42 PM

I have considered moving onto to a Android phone (and even did for 1 week) but I gave up on the idea since I really want to sync with Outlook (BIS) and Android does not natively support it and the addon apps seem very poor for the sync.

monk.teo 11-23-2010 01:35 AM

how to leave the BB, I just bought a new one (9105) fantastic and stylish

alphasports 11-23-2010 01:47 PM

I'm constantly switching back n forth between my 9700 and my iphone, both of which do certain things very well, so I did not vote in the poll. Because of the 9700's tiny screen I just got a 9800 as a test to see how close it comes to iphone general useability, and my initial reaction after a couple hours' hacking around is that it's "OK" but will need a fair amount of firmware tweaking to smooth things out. At this point it's hard to say if the 9800 will stay past the 14-day approval period or not...

avelasqu 11-23-2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Storm20Month (Post 1672502)
Sadly, I'll probably leave BB in 8 days when I'm eligible for an upgrade. Thinking of going "Droid". There are many things that I like about my Storm, but when it comes down to it, I need something dependable. Almost from the time I got the Storm, I've had to do a battery pull - almost every day. Despite updates, it freezes up almost daily. It takes a very long time to access websites - if at all. It can hold only five apps. When I try to add any more, I always get a message that there is not enough memory. Occasionally, the touch screen goes wonky and will not recognize what I touch on the screen.

I like a touch-screen, and I'm staying with Verizon, so my only other BB choices at this time don't have the touch screen. Who knows...maybe I'll come back to BB in the future, but the frustration I've experienced with the Storm over the past 20 months has led me to this choice.

Of all the Blackberry's out there, the Storm is probably the worst as far as reliability and stability. ;-(

avelasqu 11-23-2010 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewknight (Post 1672775)
I started my BB thing late on with a 9500, a bad place to start! By the time I got rid of it I'd just about got it working right but that took months of tweaking and different os builds.
Followed that with a 7290! Brilliant phone, I'm not one of these folk with 50 apps or more, I've only got logmaid on my current 9700.
Went to an Iphone 3Gs 16g and although I liked it for a week I soon got bored with jailbreaking and Apple in general.
Now running the aforementioned 9700 and loving it.
I'll never leave the brand again although I am going to exchange my 9700 for a 9000.

Curious, why go from the 9700 to a 9000?

salin 11-25-2010 02:45 PM

My 8330 was having problems scrolling some of the time, so I started looking at the new phone options from Verizon as I was eligible for an early upgrade anyway.
I ended up switching to a Droid X. I have had nothing but problems with it since Oct. 27. (I have until the 27th. of Nov. to return it)
It has been difficult to set up the email accounts, especially the outgoing server settings. Only 2 of my 5 accounts are currently working.
Since gmail comes standard with Droids, you are forced to use gmail for syncing. This has been a real challenge getting the Droid, gmail, and my contact manager to be on the same page. I loose contacts, they also get duplicated.
I have checked several Droid forum sites and it appears there are several problems with syncing the Droids.
As an independent sales agent, I live by emails and my contacts.
I've been on the phone with Verizon, Motorola and Companion Link for hours upon hours this past month and have not been able to resolve the issues.
Now I'm about 90% sure I will switch back to BB before my return date expires.

Trimix 11-28-2010 04:37 PM

I'm currently using a 8320 and would like to move up to a newer device. I really like the overall form factor of the Curve -- not too small, and not too big, fits well in my hand when I'm on a call, or using it to type text/email/web browsing. I also prefer the spaced-out Curve keyboards than the ones found on the Bold. Tried a 9700 before, but I guess I was just more accustomed to the Curve one.

So, I was quite excited to hear about RIM coming out with the 9300 line. But when I saw the specs, I was left wondering what's going on? The screen resolution on the 9300 is worse than the one found on the 8900. The camera on the 9300 (2.0MP, fixed focus, no flash) is also worse than my old device. One would think that a newer device would come with improvements. But it doesn't seem to be the case. What gives?

I know it's not really RIM's fault, but in terms of apps, it seems that the iPhones and Androids are getting all the attention right now. Sometimes I see something and think to myself "oh it'd be nice if they had an app for that. Oh wait they do. Just not for BlackBerry."

JonCarter_curve8520 11-28-2010 05:14 PM

i would but i think i'd miss push email and BBM

duane534 11-29-2010 08:36 PM

I find that Android, iOS, and WinPhone7 have no infrastructure. Everything is done on the phone. Thus, if I were to switch, not only would I lose BBM and push email, but the phone would be incredibly slow and short-lived. Why would I give all that up for Angry Birds? I think it's far more likely that BB gets an Angry Birds app than Apple building a BIS-style push infrastructure.

bgmeet 11-30-2010 04:28 PM

Well, i not voted yet.
Becouse my phone is locked my operator, and no one wanna help me.
My own operator say to me: lock better next time when you chose phone.

wesware 12-01-2010 03:46 AM

Every smartphone maker has their "thing". iPhone is for play, Android is for speed and style, and BlackBerry is for email and usability (keyboard). Each has their place in the market and any user must determine what his/her needs are before choosing. Do your research first so you don't have to switch devices later. My BlackBerry serves my needs well and I'm sticking with it.

akosnitzky 12-01-2010 09:51 AM

I am liking the Droid Pro but will also keep a blackberry

penguin3107 12-01-2010 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wesware (Post 1679660)
iPhone is for play, Android is for speed and style, and BlackBerry is for email and usability (keyboard).

Seriously, this is what you think?

BrianP 12-01-2010 03:30 PM

I'm giving serious thought to competitors.

Pretty much the app that has tied me to my personal BB has been my Blackberry Messenger, which has saved me hundreds in overtexting costs (no really, my first two months of having my BB my friends decided to text me like 20/day each for five or six friends for those two months. Once everyone got BB's, the texting dried up). I have given serious thought to Android phones, but the lack of a BBM type software, as well as the upcharge in Android mobile plans (and the limiting of data plans in the US from both Verizon and AT&T) has made me hesitant to pull the trigger.

My real loyalty right now is T-Mobile USA, and I dig what I've seen of the Torch, so if something like that comes out for TMO, I'll probably stick to BB.

wesware 12-02-2010 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguin3107 (Post 1679765)
Seriously, this is what you think?

That's why I said it. Something to add?

penguin3107 12-02-2010 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wesware (Post 1680040)
That's why I said it. Something to add?

Plenty to add, but I'll just sum it up to because it's pretty clear that you'd not understand reality anyway.
You're view is myopic to the point of absurdity. I suggest you do a little more homework before making such broad generalizations about the smartphone market... something you clearly know little about.

wesware 12-03-2010 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguin3107 (Post 1680078)
Plenty to add, but I'll just sum it up to because it's pretty clear that you'd not understand reality anyway.
You're view is myopic to the point of absurdity. I suggest you do a little more homework before making such broad generalizations about the smartphone market... something you clearly know little about.

You gathered this opinion from my "broad" statement? Do you have an argument here? Sounds like you want to argue but haven't found the right words in your pocket dictionary yet. Save the insults and get to the point, if you really have one.

penguin3107 12-03-2010 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wesware (Post 1680458)
You gathered this opinion from my "broad" statement?

Yes, this one:
"iPhone is for play, Android is for speed and style, and BlackBerry is for email and usability (keyboard)."

Quote:

Originally Posted by wesware (Post 1680458)
Do you have an argument here?

Yes. My argument is that your statement above is absurd.

BBMe 12-03-2010 02:38 PM

I go back and forth about what to do with my phone. While I like having my tour and love, love the internet abilities i don't know if I am getting the best use out of it. Granted the iphones and droids are probably waaaay more fancy than I need, but they are also pretty. I mean when it comes down to it, isn't the important part of technology is it being pretty? ;-)

I have no real plans to change, it is just an idea.

Wuzzer 12-04-2010 02:45 AM

I carry both...not because I'm issued a work phone, but because I can text faster on my blackberry and use my android for all the multimedia/games stuff.

AaronR 12-04-2010 11:44 PM

I'm seriously considering it.
My contract with Rogers is up in 11 months, and I have one of the first-released 9000s. It's been good - but I can field-strip the machine to install a trackball and reassemble it in less than 5 minutes!
I'd miss BBM and the email. Maybe even the syncing with Outlook.
But I'm a contractor. I don't cut wood by hand, or mix cement using a "hoe". I use power tools.
I also need my 9000 to help me find stuff on the web, and it's s l o w.
I know there is a function of Rogers here with speed, but a faster processor is definitely needed.
We'll see.
What's even more frustrating is RIM's seeming non-recognition of issues raised here.

neil154 12-05-2010 07:27 PM

I have nothing against BB but they are falling behind the Andoid OS. If the Android would sync with Outlook (BIS) then I would seriously consider switching to a Droid 2 which is touch screen and keyboard.

patmcglynn@live.com 12-07-2010 02:44 PM

The one and only reason I use BB is that I get virtually zero signal at my house, and BB is, or should I say was, the only phone with UMA. Now that the Mytouch 4G is out and has wifi calling, as soon as I get the money or my contract runs out I'm going back to Android. Probably the Mytouch 4G. Don't get me wrong though, I really do like blackberry a whole lot, I just love android more. All that's holding me back is wifi calling and now money.

dstaff 12-08-2010 05:28 PM

Me move from BlackBerry.. not likely, just renewed for another 3 years and upgraded from Pearl to Curve 3G (9300) And I love it.

padamssm 12-13-2010 11:15 PM

I love everything about my Storm 1 except the browser experience (and limited memory). If RIM comes out with a new Storm running QNX, it sounds like that problem will be solved. I've been eligible for a new-every-2 for many months but am holding out. I hope I don't have to wait past 2011!

BCLoco 12-13-2010 11:17 PM

I'd like to believe that RIM has not been idly resting on their laurels

BCLoco 12-13-2010 11:27 PM

I want to believe that RIM has not been resting idly on their laurels

BCLoco 12-13-2010 11:42 PM

I want to believe that RIM has not been resting idly on their laurels while iPhone and Android phones eat market share. The Torch is good, but I'm waiting for the Promised One. I have no plans for leaving the BlackBerry world.

Robert_27 12-14-2010 03:51 AM

I was on iphone but as maximum people face the typing problem on touch screen same here.Finally I changed and become a Blackberry member and have Blackberry Torch 9800. Great phone :bb:for business .(y)

garyiyawan 12-14-2010 04:10 AM

In Indonesia, 2 years ago nobody use BlackBerry. Nowadays they got to have one. I'm comfort working with BlackBerry but there's always problem with the battery. So far it's still manageable but I hope that RIM can improve this issue. Another thing is that RIM should always improve their OS to compete with Android.

shanefl2002 12-14-2010 04:12 AM

I left BB with the intent of eventually returning. I loved my BB and actually still do. However, I did go with the android based Droid X and have had no problems since Verizon replaced the small battery w/the larger one at no cost to me.
I will return to BB once it has a device I like, again.

BBQueen 12-14-2010 05:43 AM

I have moved to an Android, but still administer the BES so still am a part of the BB world. The two things I like better about the HTC EVO is web browsing and reading email rendered in HTML. It's so much easier than on my 9650. Everything else, particularly making calls and typing, is easier on the BB. I've had many many mis-dials on the EVO because it's too easy to press an entry in the call log just a little too hard while scrolling through it. It's embarrassing. :oops: Also, for me, keying in text is very frustrating. The auto-correct is not all that smart, and it's hard to know you're touching the correct key, so there's a lot more errors typing. I usually give up and wait to get on the laptop. I seriously am considering moving back to a BB.

YorkshireDave 12-14-2010 07:12 AM

There isn't yet a 'complete' package out there to do what I need. Having said that, much as I simply adore some of the features of my Torch it falls very very short when compared to Nokia for desktop phone management software and the iPhone for configureability and apps that appeal to small business users.

For me it's a case of so very near but yet so far that I cannot justify keeping it long term.

However, one may 'love' ones phone it is nothing more than a commodity and to signifficantly lag behind the market to the point where developers are concentrating their efforts on either iPhone or Android must surely send a clear message.

This could all change so easily IF (little word but BIG implications) RIM listened and responded to user feedback. When you try and feedback constructively and opportunisticly(?) and you get nothing back you simply stop trying and prepare to move on. RIMs loss.

RIM have a very dedicated user base but I feel they take them for granted big style. Subsequently I feel it will pan out to be massive opportunity completely mismanaged. Hey ho.

swavet22 12-14-2010 08:45 AM

I like my B/B Storm but I'm looking into buying a driod X. The B/B will not hold enough apps to suite me.:bb:

houdini 12-14-2010 09:03 AM

With the availability of new phone OS platforms and better adoption of security policies and integration with Exchange, it's getting easier to support more devices. That said, I do miss having BBM and random things, but the fact remains that you get more value with some other phones when features like GPS is free with other phones on the same cellular networks.

If RIM can expand its value-added features to increase the benefits to owning a blackberry, I think they can begin to recover the lost business. The fact that people are even considering other phones AND IT departments are looking at alternatives should give RIM some fear that they will continue to lose market share.

Dirtywater24 12-14-2010 09:34 AM

I'm with AT&T and was ready to make the switch to a Droid 2 (because of the physical keyboard). My main gripe with my Curve 8300 had been the terrible internet browser. When I went online to upgrade, I noticed an offer for a reconditioned Torch 9800 for free, so I'm sticking with BB for now. I'll compare it with my wife's iPhone and see how it plays out.

jeffcg8tr 12-14-2010 09:34 AM

I moved to a G2 with T-Mobile for a week and moved right back. The Android was awesome but it was lacking fundamentals. Most importantly it lacked BBM. So I am back... But I am looking for RIM to step it up. The android was close and could easily surpass RIM with the right moves.

MSAUSSIE 12-14-2010 10:30 AM

Waiting for the IPHONE to x to Verizon and then I off. Of course, work will keep the BB.

nathanl 12-14-2010 10:36 AM

i will be honest i may end up moving to iphone once Verizon starts selling them i own the Ipad already and love it. i hope the playbook turns me back i have been bb for 5 years i hate to jump ship now.

pastorz 12-14-2010 01:35 PM

Anytime I have thought about ditching my BB for another phone, something happens to convince me that BB is the best out there right now. It's reliable, great battery life, durable and still respected as a tool and not just a toy. I love my BB!

picaroon 12-14-2010 01:37 PM

Love the platform. Just got an iPad recently and love it for what it does, but what it does is pretty limited.

connex91 12-14-2010 03:25 PM

I tried moving to Android (gave up on iPhone a while ago) and as fun as it is, no other phone handles messaging and copy/paste like a blackberry! I Upgraded from my beloved 9700 to a 9800 and I feel like I have the best of both worlds: large touch screen, better camera, wicked media features AND a full keyboard + bbm. Why would anyone switch? ;)

Eldertrout 12-14-2010 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 1668448)

I have moved on due to the problems I experienced with the operating software issues that weren't being resolved by RIM nor Verizon. I only moved out of desperation. I had fought the "digitized audio BUZZ" problems. I attempted several contacts with RIM and was ignored. It was only after I threatened to drop my service before they gave me another phone with similar features...the Motorola Droid. Had RIM replied to my emails I would probably still have my Storm 2, but they didn't, so I don't.

Nworkp 12-14-2010 07:58 PM

I'm developing apps for bb platform, but more then year use iOS devices as primary. May Blackberry pad will fix situation.

mwyarm 12-14-2010 09:52 PM

It is under consideration. I am a loyal fan of a device, use it until it breaks, versus flipping devices everytime something new is delivered. To that point I used my 7130e which was an awesome device for email and phone for over 7+, maybe even longer, years. I just threw it away a month ago as the scroll on the side is skipping and I cannot scroll easily. What I liked about the device was that it was SURETYPE, open faced (no flip), and raised keys with space in between each key. I could pick up the phone and with just the feel of the raised keys I could press a speed dial or type with one hand if needed. In many cases I could feel my way around to press the speed key to dial something without looking.

Personal preference but I have large fingers and I have not been able to use any BB's with the small full keyboards. They are too close together and my finger probably stretches across two keys. For work, given we require a blackberry, and obvioulsy the 7130 is old, I use the Storm 2 so I can leverage the large SURETYPE keyboard in portrait mode.

Given RIM apparently does not view the Storm products as strategic and they are not investing in timely upgrades and given the tiny keyboards that have come out over the years, I am looking for other options. If RIM came out with a SURETYPE keyboard with raised keys and spaces between keys I would not be looking.

Fabiank 12-15-2010 01:27 AM

blackberry may has issues and what not, but you have to remember its life things change and gets better. Look we have Blackberry 6

The Sand 12-15-2010 01:33 AM

I currently have a Nokia N900 and a LG Quantum running WP7. I wanted to use the native email client on the device and get push/SSL email with calendar/contact sync without paying for hosted exchange and BES. The N900 only takes 1 exchange account so I get all that for Hotmail. WP7 lets you have multiple EAS accounts so I have everything for Hotmail and Gmail. Too bad for me my primary account is Yahoo – but I believe Yahoo will be coming soon. There are problems with both devices though – there are always problems.

Each phone I hold in my hand does something well – too bad there isn’t “one” that does everything well. BB is the closest to “problem free” for me (and this thread is about preference really)… I swap out the SIM and take it for the day depending on my needs – it’s a very good visual in full sun and I can pound out text messages/IM's on that keyboard better than any slider out there. When Yahoo delivers EAS I may try AstraSync through the BB.

Sandy

unixops 12-15-2010 08:19 AM

I bought a iPhone for my wife, she loves it! But to meself, I would stay on BlackBerry!

brownkc 12-15-2010 12:08 PM

I'm strongly considering a move to the iPhone for my next device. I'm a 3rd gen BB user and have been happy with my BB smartphones but I think there is less reason to stick around these days. The hardware is falling behind the competition and the future of the software is a big question mark. Will they iron out OS 6 or is it just a stepping stone to QNX? Will we be lab rats for the next couple of years as they iron out issues?

I recently purchased an iPad. I was looking at buying an ereader but liked the idea of a multitool for an upcoming 3 week Europe trip (The playbook may be out by then but will still be too new for good app support). I realized b&w epaper doesn't work so well with travel guides and my goal was to replace a couple of books and several (3-5) guidebooks with one device. An iPad will give me wifi access to the internet, email access, storage for pics, color guide books (even some new interactive guide apps), access to all ereader mediums (iBooks, Kindle, Nook and Googlebooks), a calendar that syncs to my work calendar, a synced contact list, and music/video/games to entertain me during the down times. After getting it and syncing it with my work's Exchange server, I have found there is little difference from my 9700 on the BES. The only thing I use that was lost was the notes function from Outlook (not a big deal because I always thought it was a pretty crappy solution for storing information), remote wipe (I think there may be a way to do this on the iPad) and automatic backups of the device (I just have to manually connect the iPad to my computer). Now, I am thinking it would be nice to have a phone that would sync with the iPad. Obviously, an iPhone would be better at this than a BB or Droid phone.

I considered the Torch a real let down. One of my points of pride with the 9700 when it came out was its clarity of text(ppi). I often teased my iPhone toting friends that it had the same resolution that there iPhones with a 50% larger screen had. I pointed out that RIM did this because this device was made for the purpose of keeping in contact and clearer text provided just that. Obviously, that wasn't RIM's goal seeing as how the Torch has the same resolution as the old iPhones. Aso, I have gotten tired of fighting with permissions every time I want to use an app. I have spoken with the IT person that manages our BES and he said they run it stock without additional restrictions yet it seems every time I add a new app, I find it won't run because "Allow" is not an option (Googlemaps for about 6 months and currently the Kindle app are examples). I want one device to handle my life. I don't think BB is the right device anymore.

Finally, I received this message about 20 minutes ago:

"Just as a reminder, if you have stopped using a Blackberry as your smart phone please contact the Help Desk so that we can remove your account from the server.

We are seeing 5-8 accounts become inactive each month and our use of this server is now just 52 people. We are monitoring its usage as it does take resources to manage. Don’t be concerned. We have no plans to eliminate the service at this time. However, most of our customers have moved to iPhones or Android based devices that eliminate the need for this additional service."

It looks like my IT department has helped me to make up my mind.

john.grisum 12-15-2010 01:19 PM

I use my BB for work and my Iphone for play! They have their own niches.

The Sand 12-15-2010 02:55 PM

Just note on the voting... it was hard, just because you are running several different devices doesn't necessarily mean "good bye Blackberry."

DJ Double-Shot 12-15-2010 08:51 PM

My first BB was an 8130 Pearl. I loved the phone, but hated the sticky trackball. That particular model had some other minor issues, but I tolerated them considering I paid only $35 for the phone. It was used and came with an 8 GB SD card.

This past April I was eligible for a phone upgrade and I chose the BB 8530 Curve II. Wow what a difference between it and the Pearl! I have a 16 GB SD card in it and almost 1400 MP3s. I am appreciative of the multimedia functions in the BB devices. I am a mobile DJ and have had to depend on my Curve II to bail me out of a few binds while performing, either by tethering or having a song on my phone that was not already on my computer's hard drive.

When my carrier added 3G to it's network I just about fainted. The new speed is awesome. C'mon 4G!

Will I ever switch to something else? Not likely anytime soon. I have faith that RIM will improve when the time is right for me.

kichigai 12-16-2010 12:07 AM

I'm going to move away.

I've never owned smartphones with the same OS twice in a row. From WinMo 5/6 (T-Mobile Dash) to Symbian S60v3 (Nokia N73) to BlackBerry OS 4/5 (BlackBerry 8900). I own an iPod Touch (1st Generation, so I've seen all versions of iOS up until 4), so I know about what owning an iPhone would be like (and I've been on AT&T long enough to know I'm not ready to pay their higher carriage rates and receive about the same level service and worse customer service), so I might as well get an Android phone and experience the full gamut of phone OSes.

I've also been quite unimpressed with BlackBerry OS as a platform, and the applications developed for it. The only app I've come to really like is SocialScope. Everything else has frustrated me, because I can't do simple things I could do on my N73, like cropping photos (I haven't found a single app that not only claims to do this, but functions correctly). Performance is lackluster (at least on the 8900), memory management is unpredictable, applications are rarely innovative, apps don't seem to have the same level of attention and finesse applied to them as competing platforms get, and it's irritating that so many "apps" are just links to web pages.

I'm not writing off BlackBerry forever, but I want to try an Android phone, so maybe when BlackBerry OS 7 rolls around, I'll consider it again, but for now, I'm going to continue my adventure through various mobile platforms.

rogerR57 12-16-2010 12:59 AM

I don't have a BB yet, but my son. Seing what he is able to do, I certainly want to have one. But at this moment it is not affordable to me.

pip22 12-16-2010 01:41 PM

The BB I currently have is my first smartphone & I love what you can do with it - most of the competition have only touch-screen handsets which I cannot get used to at all & don't like them even though it means you get a bigger screen. A keypad-equipped BB is the best for me & just the right size. Have no plans to change to another brand - it would be pointless when a BB meets all my requirements.