BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   iPhone Android & other HandHeld Forum (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Will you move away from BlackBerry? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=238814)

blackyberry 05-14-2011 04:40 PM

Re: Will you move away from BlackBerry?

i dont think i will.. maybe in the future.. i really love blackberry its the best cellphone ive ever had...

rambo47 05-15-2011 09:27 AM

I used Symbian for several years before dropping it for BlackBerry.
I have Android 6+ months on several different hardware platforms.
I gave WebOS a month.
Zero interest in WP7.
Zero interest in iOS (and I'm a total Maclot at home!).

Show me something new and compelling, and maybe I'll take a look. But until my mobile telecom priorities change I can't see anything topping BlackBerry.

Infinity1 05-17-2011 05:22 AM

I bought a 9700 Bold and completely regret it.
I can't see what the 9700 can do that the older models couldn't.
I only use it for browsing, BBM, and other IM's and I am very sure that the cheaper models can run IM's/browse too.
It just feels like there are no apps at all. I know about App World but it feels so empty compared to the App Store where there is literally an app for everything.
I have moved to iPhone and I am positive that I won't be considering BB anymore unless Apple messes up or RIM brings out a phone that looks like it's new, not developed in 2000.

rambo47 05-17-2011 07:44 AM

Enjoy a couple hundred "fart apps" and other awesome titles. What apps for BlackBerry could you NOT find?

If you bought a 9700 and really only wanted to play Angry Birds, you made a bad choice. If you wanted a professional-grade communications device there is nothing better (or even close) to BlackBerry. It's a question of where your priorities are. Web browsing and even IM are not BlackBerry strengths. Email and BBM definitely are strengths of the platform. But your claim that "App World feels empty compared to the App Store" rings hollow. Sounds like you never even looked at App World or tried to find what you wanted. Sounds kind of Apple fanboy-ish to me. If you're simply comforted knowing there are a bazillion apps for iOS available, well, I really don't know what to say.

brownkc 05-17-2011 10:43 AM

I get a little sick of the 100 fart apps comments. It's just a dodge of the real issue that Apps for the Blackberry come out much later, if at all, than either of the other two major smart phone OSes. The reason there are a 100 fart apps is because there are so many more apps/people writing apps for Android and iOS. The nature of a locked down Blackberry and the user market has led to software writers focusing their attention elsewhere.

I have had a Blackberry phone for the last 7 years, 9700 for the last 2, and feel I have spent more than my fair share of time in the Blackberry App World. That app alone has been a miserable experience. Obviously, the selection of apps has always lagged behind the competition but the layout and search function of the app itself is bad. The newer phones may have a better version/layout of app world but my 9700 with OS5 still sucks. It's slow, occasionally loses the list of installed apps, I have no idea how it decides to check for updates (they seem to happen all at the same time at random intervals) and it doesn't indicate whether apps will play nice with permissions.

I have an iPad so I have started to get a taste of apps on other devices. I will list a few examples of apps I use and see if you can tell me whether they are available for the Blackberry and what I found. First, I like Dropbox. Yes, I know about the current security issues but it is very convenient while I travel. Yes, Blackberry eventually got it but while my iPad will open all of the files I have in it, the Blackberry needs another program for the pdf files. While traveling, I use FlightTrack and Flight Update. Flight Update is not available for Blackberry and FlightTrack doesn't have all of the features that are available on iOS. I did find a competing app with good reviews in this category but it lacked the polish of the other apps. I regularly use iBooks, Kindle and Google Books for reading on the go. I don't find any of those in the App World. I have tried downloading the Kindle App directly but it wouldn't start because of permission issues. I use Netflix and VLC for watching movies on my iPad and believe both are available for the iPhone. App World had neither. I found Maplets to be a great source for high quality maps for hiking trails, metro maps, street maps, bus maps, train maps, tourist attraction maps, airport diagrams, etc. There was nothing in App World. On top of these apps, I have lots of other apps I enjoy such as starwalk, google earth, BBC news, Bloomberg, NPR News, Chase Banking and USAA Banking. Only one of which I found in the App World.

I guess you could counter with most of those aren't business apps. Well then, what business apps does Blackberry have that aren’t on Android or iOS? Yes, you have to purchase a program to edit Office docs where Blackberry has Dataviz Standard for free but there are apps available for the other two that are equal to this app. So you can save $10-20 by buying a Blackberry that comes with the Standard Version.

So, what features does a Blackberry have that make it stand apart? Email and BBM? I have few friends with Blackberries these days so BBM just isn't a factor. No one I know uses it. As for email, I don't know what the major difference is. When I am sitting at work with both my Blackberry and iPad near me it's a tossup as to which one gets my work emails first. I may hear the Blackberry vibrate first or maybe the ding from the iPad. They both usually beat Outlook to the punch. As for readability and options, they each have their strengths. The Blackberry seems to be a bit quicker with loading the messages but the iPad creates links for any useful data on the page so you can add a calendar item, pull up an address on the map or create a new contact quicker. They both do an equally good job of hotlinking a phone number on the page for quick dialing.

To me, the strong point of the Blackberry is also its weakness. They are built to be trustworthy workhorses. The most trustworthy workhouse is one built on technology that is tried and true. Technology that is tried and true is not going to include the latest improvements. I know my Blackberry will pull a signal where many other phones won't (rare to drop a call and I usually get a signal before my friends). I know my battery life will be above average (based on reviews of the devices). I hope my software reliability will greatly exceed that of the competition. Since I have used nothing but a Blackberry for the last 7 years, I can't compare software reliability. I do know both my Blackberry has required a couple of battery pulls since I bought the iPad while the iPad has frozen up only once (user error with iTunes update starting while updating the iPad). Signal Strength is not a major issue for me since I spend most of my time in cities where I dead spot is fairly rare. As for battery length, it’s nice to last a bit longer but I still keep chargers everywhere (home, work, car and suitcase). I also carry an external charger for long trips.

For years, I have been a defender of Blackberry. While RIM dominated the smart phone market when I first entered it, it went years with little innovation. New competition quickly flew past it. Over the last year, it has struggled to catch up but we are still left trying to figure out its plans. I would say that creating a way to use Android apps is RIMs way of the admitting that they have fallen behind/may never catch up in the App wars. While you may argue that apps don't matter, I would argue that they are what make a smart device useful to its owner even if that owner just needs the amusement of a fart app.

Infinity1 05-17-2011 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambo47 (Post 1721881)
Enjoy a couple hundred "fart apps" and other awesome titles. What apps for BlackBerry could you NOT find?

If you bought a 9700 and really only wanted to play Angry Birds, you made a bad choice. If you wanted a professional-grade communications device there is nothing better (or even close) to BlackBerry. It's a question of where your priorities are. Web browsing and even IM are not BlackBerry strengths. Email and BBM definitely are strengths of the platform. But your claim that "App World feels empty compared to the App Store" rings hollow. Sounds like you never even looked at App World or tried to find what you wanted. Sounds kind of Apple fanboy-ish to me. If you're simply comforted knowing there are a bazillion apps for iOS available, well, I really don't know what to say.

All great assumption, while I don't have a single Apple product.
You keep talking how amazing BB is for email and communication, why?
Not every company has a Enterprise server and every device can send/receive emails. A lot of people say their company makes them use BB while they would rather use their own personal iPhone for work.
Also you can't use Skype on BB unless you are on Verizon (USA hurray) and not everyone lives in the USA nor is everyone on Verizon. A lot of business employees use Skype for whatever reasons and they can't use it.
I know that it's not RIM's fault that Skype don't publish their software for non Verizon customers but that's non of my business, all I need to know is that you can use it on Android and iPhone.
Also RIM would probably go bankrupt if they really only wanted business customers.
For the normal customer iPhone and Android are always better, ignoring the keypad. So if we'd cut all nomal customers we would only end up with a few business customers since many of them use iPhone and Android instead of only BB.
That means?
It doesn't matter whether it's supposed to be for business/communication/whatever or not. If they want to stay in business they need to improve drastically because there seriously aren't many if any reasons to stay with BB for business or norma use.

And regarding apps, what apps are so mind blowing?
The only apps I remember are the ones that make your BB's light glow red when whatever contact messages you which is just a little bit poor.
Everything looks as if it was ancient, and there's no game that's actually fun to play compared to a lot of good games on other phones and yes our dear BB business phone should be able to run -good- games too insted of 2D images.
Why?
Because that's what you pay money for. If you wanted a phone mainly for business you could probably buy the oldest BB you can find and still do the same things as on the 9700 Bold. If they're not improving the hardware (which games rely on) when they are selling you a phone for £40 a month or £350 then what am I actually paying for?
When you buy a new Android or iPhone it feels like you bought something new. You see those new features with their unique feel but when you buy a BB it's all just a boring smarthone with no new features at all. The only reason BB is still in the race is because it's the cheapest smartphone and people want to jump on the smartphone train so they buy it. Or they have friends with BBM and want to join the club.
Also a lot of apps that companies sometimes release for members to use often don't work on BB but is always advertised with "Download ABC for your iPhone for free!". This gives BB customers again a disadvantage and no you cannot tell anyone that you pay over £350 for a phone ONLY for business use, you just can't say that in today's word.

aiharkness 05-17-2011 12:24 PM

So, what you're saying is, if you want the best of the best fart app, you will need an iphone?

Geeze. We are talking about smartphones.

And what matters is what works for you. You aren't the model user; no one is. What makes the smartphone is what it does for you.

If models runnining android and the iphone become the mass market devices instead of BlackBerry, it matters not to me. What matters to me is the BlackBerry continues to be what I've come to depend on.

And by the way, the 9700 is probably the best BlackBerry I've owned, and OS 5 is the best BlackBerry OS. That includes OS 6, in my opinion. I haven't had any real trouble with it. But that's me.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Infinity1 05-17-2011 12:28 PM

It's great that you will never ever switch phone, it's just RIM cares if people switch and I'm sure they care more about keeping a lot of customers than about having a few people say "it does what i want it to do"

stevetaz 05-17-2011 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infinity1 (Post 1721955)
It's great that you will never ever switch phone, it's just RIM cares if people switch and I'm sure they care more about keeping a lot of customers than about having a few people say "it does what i want it to do"

Who are you trying to convince? If you don't like BlackBerry or if it doesn't do what you want move on. If your company provides it and you can't change then use it and shut up. Buy your own iToy or Android for when you leave work.

Enough....

rambo47 05-17-2011 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brownkc (Post 1721930)
I get a little sick of the 100 fart apps comments. It's just a dodge of the real issue that Apps for the Blackberry come out much later, if at all, than either of the other two major smart phone OSes. The reason there are a 100 fart apps is because there are so many more apps/people writing apps for Android and iOS. The nature of a locked down Blackberry and the user market has led to software writers focusing their attention elsewhere.

I have had a Blackberry phone for the last 7 years, 9700 for the last 2, and feel I have spent more than my fair share of time in the Blackberry App World. That app alone has been a miserable experience. Obviously, the selection of apps has always lagged behind the competition but the layout and search function of the app itself is bad. The newer phones may have a better version/layout of app world but my 9700 with OS5 still sucks. It's slow, occasionally loses the list of installed apps, I have no idea how it decides to check for updates (they seem to happen all at the same time at random intervals) and it doesn't indicate whether apps will play nice with permissions.

I have an iPad so I have started to get a taste of apps on other devices. I will list a few examples of apps I use and see if you can tell me whether they are available for the Blackberry and what I found. First, I like Dropbox. Yes, I know about the current security issues but it is very convenient while I travel. Yes, Blackberry eventually got it but while my iPad will open all of the files I have in it, the Blackberry needs another program for the pdf files. While traveling, I use FlightTrack and Flight Update. Flight Update is not available for Blackberry and FlightTrack doesn't have all of the features that are available on iOS. I did find a competing app with good reviews in this category but it lacked the polish of the other apps. I regularly use iBooks, Kindle and Google Books for reading on the go. I don't find any of those in the App World. I have tried downloading the Kindle App directly but it wouldn't start because of permission issues. I use Netflix and VLC for watching movies on my iPad and believe both are available for the iPhone. App World had neither. I found Maplets to be a great source for high quality maps for hiking trails, metro maps, street maps, bus maps, train maps, tourist attraction maps, airport diagrams, etc. There was nothing in App World. On top of these apps, I have lots of other apps I enjoy such as starwalk, google earth, BBC news, Bloomberg, NPR News, Chase Banking and USAA Banking. Only one of which I found in the App World.

I guess you could counter with most of those aren't business apps. Well then, what business apps does Blackberry have that arenxxx8217;t on Android or iOS? Yes, you have to purchase a program to edit Office docs where Blackberry has Dataviz Standard for free but there are apps available for the other two that are equal to this app. So you can save $10-20 by buying a Blackberry that comes with the Standard Version.

So, what features does a Blackberry have that make it stand apart? Email and BBM? I have few friends with Blackberries these days so BBM just isn't a factor. No one I know uses it. As for email, I don't know what the major difference is. When I am sitting at work with both my Blackberry and iPad near me it's a tossup as to which one gets my work emails first. I may hear the Blackberry vibrate first or maybe the ding from the iPad. They both usually beat Outlook to the punch. As for readability and options, they each have their strengths. The Blackberry seems to be a bit quicker with loading the messages but the iPad creates links for any useful data on the page so you can add a calendar item, pull up an address on the map or create a new contact quicker. They both do an equally good job of hotlinking a phone number on the page for quick dialing.

To me, the strong point of the Blackberry is also its weakness. They are built to be trustworthy workhorses. The most trustworthy workhouse is one built on technology that is tried and true. Technology that is tried and true is not going to include the latest improvements. I know my Blackberry will pull a signal where many other phones won't (rare to drop a call and I usually get a signal before my friends). I know my battery life will be above average (based on reviews of the devices). I hope my software reliability will greatly exceed that of the competition. Since I have used nothing but a Blackberry for the last 7 years, I can't compare software reliability. I do know both my Blackberry has required a couple of battery pulls since I bought the iPad while the iPad has frozen up only once (user error with iTunes update starting while updating the iPad). Signal Strength is not a major issue for me since I spend most of my time in cities where I dead spot is fairly rare. As for battery length, itxxx8217;s nice to last a bit longer but I still keep chargers everywhere (home, work, car and suitcase). I also carry an external charger for long trips.

For years, I have been a defender of Blackberry. While RIM dominated the smart phone market when I first entered it, it went years with little innovation. New competition quickly flew past it. Over the last year, it has struggled to catch up but we are still left trying to figure out its plans. I would say that creating a way to use Android apps is RIMs way of the admitting that they have fallen behind/may never catch up in the App wars. While you may argue that apps don't matter, I would argue that they are what make a smart device useful to its owner even if that owner just needs the amusement of a fart app.

I love my iPad as well. It does an excellent job for what it is, but for my needs a BlackBerry is simply the best communications device. There is no denying the 100:1 ratio of iOS apps vs. BlackBerry apps, but in my experience so many of them are just silly and useless. So while some people say, 'It just feels like there are no apps at all. I know about App World but it feels so empty compared to the App Store where there is literally an app for everything," I say that the Apple App Store feels over-cluttered with junk while BB App World is populated with stuff I can use. For travel I like Kayak and WorldMate. There are a ton of alternative apps even for stodgy old BlackBerry. I also rely on several BlackBerry-only apps for my day-to-day needs.

There is no doubt that RIM is behind in developers for consumer-oriented apps. RIM was focused solely on business users until the Curve 8300 was introduced, and even then it took them several years to figure out how to push into the consumer space with apps and features. RIM still doesn't have it figured out. But for business-oriented users like me on BIS (not even BES), they definitely have it right.

And I'm way past wanting any "mind-blowing" apps for my BlackBerry. What I want is way more simple than that. I want reliable, professional-grade communication tools that keep me organized, focused, and productive. I actually had several Android phones for about 6 months recently. Epic 4G and Evo 4G. I jumped from BlackBerry to Android for all those mind-blowing apps, and I must admit they are the things that seduced me. Google Skymap was neat, as was Droidsat. But after the newness wore off and I got back to business, I found I was trying to make my Android phone more BlackBerry-like. I've relearned this lesson more than once too. Palm Pre, day 1 of availability. I ported to Sprint from AT&T to get it, abandoning my BlackBerry in the process. Same thing happened; I tried to convert the Pre into a BlackBerry. Smarter move for me was to just go back to BlackBerry. All those neat bells and whistles were simply not part of my focus, and when I was honest with myself I realized that.

I'm sure I'll do this again too. I'm on a quest for the best device possible. But millions of apps is not something I care about. I want quality over quantity, and it's better for me if those quality apps are more targeted to my own needs.

rambo47 05-17-2011 01:22 PM

And in the interest of fairness and full disclosure, BlackBerry App World shows more than a dozen fart apps for BlackBerry. That stings a bit. :oops:

aiharkness 05-17-2011 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infinity1 (Post 1721955)

Go to the head of the line that needs things spelled out for them.

I wasn't talking to the people that say RIM is in a nose dive and won't pull up on the stick. That is a different discussion.

I am talking to the people who seem called to defend iphones or Android devices like someone has told them their baby is ugly, and in the process tell us how ugly is our baby.

But make no mistake. My BlackBerry is not my baby. Call it ugly all you want. I take no offense. But I will tell you beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and as far as I'm concerned RIM has to continue making only one person happy, and that's me.

brownkc 05-17-2011 02:56 PM

Thanks for the response Rambo. I know you to be level headed in your responses and it bothered me to see the canned fart app response. All of the app stores have useless apps but more apps means a better chance for diversity to me. It also shows more interest in the platform by the software development community. I am more likely to find the travel app I need out of a 100 choices than 10. However, I also realize that quality trumps quantity but have failed to see a Blackberry App that fits my needs better than an iOS/Android app.

I tried to give some real world examples of apps I would like on my phone and when starting that response, I had not revisited App World to see if they had become available yet. I had to go back and check and found that all but one were still not available in App World. I didn't cherry pick apps off my iPad to do this (I just avoided some of the more non-business related ones: angry birds, drawn, facebook, craigslist, wikipedia, epicurious, etc.).

rambo47 05-17-2011 03:27 PM

I WISH BlackBerry had the developer community of either iOS or Android. But I would also want them to be more focused on productivity stuff. Completely selfish on my part, but then I'm a geezer with business needs and little interest in other things. I do understand that for RIM to survive, the consumer space is going to be critical. Folks are going to want the bells-and-whistles apps that I am not interested in.

I'm such a geezer in fact that I want to keep my music player separate (iPod) and I want to watch my movies on my TV. Maybe sometimes on my MacBook. But even that's rare. I went for the whole "convergence" thing and ultimately rejected it for multiple single-purpose devices. And, to add insult to injury, I make a TON of voice calls on my BlackBerry every day. :oops:

aiharkness 05-17-2011 05:06 PM

A few random comments from me:

I know I'm more of the exception on this, but I prefer the RIM apps. My only complaint is that it has taken so long to get where we are today. I don't see the lack of developers as a signifcant contributing factor, at least not with respect to my needs. And developers haven't left BlackBerry to work on other platforms; there's never been much of an independent developer base as far as I can tell. But regardless, I don't see that developer base matters as far as I'm concerned. My opinion is the device had to progress to the point it could handle the apps, and RIM was dealing with numerous trade-offs as it evolved the handset.

Media and the like. I see the BlackBerry as predominantly a communication device. It is also an appliance for accessing, recording, and sharing information. Some of that information is audio, video, still images, web sites, etc. The fact that this also means you can watch movies and play music is a consequence, but not an objective. I don't see the BlackBerry as ever being or ever intended to compete as an entertainment platform. Ditto a gaming platform.

Infinity1 makes a good observation but misses the point. Yes the new BlackBerrys don't differ in big ways from previous models, except if you ignore things like the first BlackBerry with bluetooth, the first BlackBerry with a camera, the first BlackBerry with GPS, the first BlackBerry with wifi...But yes, comparing my 9700 with my old 8820, there are not a lot of differences, but then there are some differences that are big for me. Primarily a device with more memory and more powerful CPU to run a newer OS and more apps. For me it is as much about the service as it is the hardware. The BlackBerry hardware is just the appliance to access and use the service.

I know I've been sounding like a Luddite, but I never said I'm sticking with BlackBerry come hell or high water. I have said, and I think I voted, that I have no reason to switch. BlackBerry works for me, and I know enough about other products to know I wouldn't have an alternative if RIM went away.

aiharkness 05-18-2011 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infinity1 (Post 1721950)
All great assumption, while I don't have a single Apple product.
You keep talking how amazing BB is for email and communication, why?
Not every company has a Enterprise server and every device can send/receive emails. A lot of people say their company makes them use BB while they would rather use their own personal iPhone for work.
Also you can't use Skype on BB unless you are on Verizon (USA hurray) and not everyone lives in the USA nor is everyone on Verizon. A lot of business employees use Skype for whatever reasons and they can't use it.
I know that it's not RIM's fault that Skype don't publish their software for non Verizon customers but that's non of my business, all I need to know is that you can use it on Android and iPhone.
Also RIM would probably go bankrupt if they really only wanted business customers.
For the normal customer iPhone and Android are always better, ignoring the keypad. So if we'd cut all nomal customers we would only end up with a few business customers since many of them use iPhone and Android instead of only BB.
That means?
It doesn't matter whether it's supposed to be for business/communication/whatever or not. If they want to stay in business they need to improve drastically because there seriously aren't many if any reasons to stay with BB for business or norma use.

And regarding apps, what apps are so mind blowing?
The only apps I remember are the ones that make your BB's light glow red when whatever contact messages you which is just a little bit poor.
Everything looks as if it was ancient, and there's no game that's actually fun to play compared to a lot of good games on other phones and yes our dear BB business phone should be able to run -good- games too insted of 2D images.
Why?
Because that's what you pay money for. If you wanted a phone mainly for business you could probably buy the oldest BB you can find and still do the same things as on the 9700 Bold. If they're not improving the hardware (which games rely on) when they are selling you a phone for £40 a month or £350 then what am I actually paying for?
When you buy a new Android or iPhone it feels like you bought something new. You see those new features with their unique feel but when you buy a BB it's all just a boring smarthone with no new features at all. The only reason BB is still in the race is because it's the cheapest smartphone and people want to jump on the smartphone train so they buy it. Or they have friends with BBM and want to join the club.
Also a lot of apps that companies sometimes release for members to use often don't work on BB but is always advertised with "Download ABC for your iPhone for free!". This gives BB customers again a disadvantage and no you cannot tell anyone that you pay over £350 for a phone ONLY for business use, you just can't say that in today's word.

First you said "I have moved to iphone." I read that as you are now using an iphone.

You also said you have used a 9700. You should know what it does. If you have to ask, then either you never really used one, or you didn't really understand it, or what it offers just doesn't matter to you and any old thing will do.

But just to respond to the question about what is so great about BlackBerry email (and messaging in general):

When I get a new message alert and remove the BlackBerry from the holster, the BlackBerry has already opened the new message. I can use keyboard shortcuts to reply, forward, whatever. If I need to search, I can do that with a keyboard shortcut, too, and even save and recall searches, in a matter of seconds.

I'm not limited to email when working with other BlackBerry users. PIN and BBM have there particular benefits (confirmations, they are instant) but also serve as backup in case the email server goes down.

All messages are in the messages folder. I don't have to move around to find something.

Finally, deleting emails many at a time is easy, particularly when using a saved search to recall all messages fitting particular criteria.

And the key thing is I know it is always going to work. Wherever I land and turn on my BlackBerry, I don't have to worry that it isn't going to get my messages right then and there.

You can say, "I carry my phone in my pocket, I'd never use a holster. And besides, that opening the email irritates me. Maybe I don't want to read that email right then." Or, you could say email isn't all that important because you use text, or whatever. Well, that's you. If these things don't matter to you, then they don't matter. But that doesn't mean the BlackBerry isn't a spectacular device for a lot of people; just means it wouldn't be spectacular for you.

jasbart 05-18-2011 09:16 AM

I've owned 6-7 blackberrys in the past 10 or so years. My needs are very simple, I'm not interested in 99% of the apps my wife is running on her iPhone4. All I want is dependable email, dependable and INFORMATIVE address book (ie organize by company/last name), dependable calendar, and a browser that will get me to and from various websites (mostly news/financial). I'm not interested in games, not interested in listening to music on a blackberry. I know, I'm boring, just like the blackberry.

Everything was going just fine with my year-old 9700, running os5, and syncing through DM5. Then I made the mistake of upgrading to os6/DM6. I swear I don't think the 9700 has enough memory to dependably run os6. And 75% of the time I sync with DM6 it freezes for one reason or other after the sync has been successfully completed.

I've been playing with my wife's old iPod Touch just to get used to the Apple experience. With a few exceptions (I don't like the address book) it works pretty good. My contract with Blackberry/AT&T ends 5/21...

By the way, I'm a semi-early adopter of Outlook 2011 for Mac. It doesn't work. Not even with the updates and the infamous SP1. God forbid that you even think of syncing a Blackberry with it.

Full disclosure: my computer is a MacBook, running 10.6.6. Outlook 2003 (still the best email/calendar/address book MS has ever made) is running on Parallels 6/WinXP. I really like the idea of subtracting one major Windows piece from the puzzle, and the white bread Apple Mail/iCal/Address Book will do.

Thanks, Jim

aiharkness 05-18-2011 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasbart (Post 1722109)
I've owned 6-7 blackberrys in the past 10 or so years. My needs are very simple, I'm not interested in 99% of the apps my wife is running on her iPhone4. All I want is dependable email, dependable and INFORMATIVE address book (ie organize by company/last name), dependable calendar, and a browser that will get me to and from various websites (mostly news/financial). I'm not interested in games, not interested in listening to music on a blackberry. I know, I'm boring, just like the blackberry.

Everything was going just fine with my year-old 9700, running os5, and syncing through DM5. Then I made the mistake of upgrading to os6/DM6. I swear I don't think the 9700 has enough memory to dependably run os6. And 75% of the time I sync with DM6 it freezes for one reason or other after the sync has been successfully completed.

I've been playing with my wife's old iPod Touch just to get used to the Apple experience. With a few exceptions (I don't like the address book) it works pretty good. My contract with Blackberry/AT&T ends 5/21...

By the way, I'm a semi-early adopter of Outlook 2011 for Mac. It doesn't work. Not even with the updates and the infamous SP1. God forbid that you even think of syncing a Blackberry with it.

Full disclosure: my computer is a MacBook, running 10.6.6. Outlook 2003 (still the best email/calendar/address book MS has ever made) is running on Parallels 6/WinXP. I really like the idea of subtracting one major Windows piece from the puzzle, and the white bread Apple Mail/iCal/Address Book will do.

Thanks, Jim

I agree with you wrt OS6. I went back to 5. You may want to do the same.

LeStevez 05-21-2011 08:44 AM

I really just love my Torch ! It's an awesome device and it fulfills my needs (or more like my wants) and although I think I am better suited for Android (looking at my needs/wants and looking at what Android has to offer) I just can't get use to having a huge 4'' screen with a touch screen QWERTY just because I am a daily texter and send about 200 text a day so I don't think I'd be switching anytime soon.

rambo47 05-21-2011 10:51 AM

I love the reliability and the purpose-driven design of the BlackBerry. It just works the way I do. And for me it's not an entertainment of media device. That's an important distinction. If you want to play Angry Birds or take movies and put them on YouTube, BlackBerrys are not a good choice for you.

For me it's about phone calls, messaging, and PIM functions. And for that, BlackBerry has no equal.